Rising country star coming to Springfield

Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 @ 6:21 PM
Updated: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Easton Corbin, the singer who in 2010 became the first male country artist in 17 years to have his first two singles go to No. 1, will perform in Springfield in January.

The 30-year-old neo-traditionalist is the latest in a string of rising country stars and country legends booked by the Clark State Performing Arts Center.

“He’s got a good, clean sound,” Stuart Secttor, the center’s executive director, said of Corbin. “He’s got a good image.”

But maybe most important?

“He’s attractive to the female audience members,” Secttor added.

Corbin, whose most recent hit, “Lovin’ You is Fun,” hit No. 7 this year, will perform in the center’s Kuss Auditorium at 8 p.m. Jan. 18.

Tickets, priced from $20 to $54, will go on sale in person at 10 a.m. Dec. 5, then online at pac.clarkstate.edu at noon.

The feat of having his first two singles — “A Little More Country Than That” and “Roll With It” — hit No. 1 earned Corbin the 2010 title of Billboard’s top new country artist.

Clark State, which used to present a subscription-based season of events, has found success in recent years booking country concerts on the fly, including shows by Darius Rucker, Merle Haggard, Little Big Town and LeAnn Rimes.

Most recently, Lee Brice played Kuss in September.

“We timed it pretty right with Lee Brice,” Secttor said. “His hit (‘Hard to Love’) went to No. 1 shortly after he was here.”

Kenny Rogers will play the auditorium on Dec. 14 and will be joined for several songs by the Shawnee High School choir.

If you thought Clark State was taking a gamble on the Gambler, think again — his show is sold out.

Death investigation after body found at Harrison Twp. house fire

Published: Sunday, July 23, 2017 @ 7:16 AM

UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of a house fire where one person was found dead this morning in Harrison Twp.

The fire was reported by a witness shortly before 7 a.m.

When crews arrived, they encountered heavy flames coming from a bedroom in the rear of the brick ranch-style home in the 3500 block of Ark Avenue, according to the fire chief.

Firefighters started dousing the flames and did a search inside the home where they found one person deceased, according to the chief.

It was not immediately known whether the body is that of a male or female, the chief said.

The body was transported to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office where the victim’s identity as well as the cause and manner of death will be determined.

UPDATE @ 9:45 a.m.

Authorities in Harrison Twp. are investigating after a body was found in a home that caught fire early this morning.

A man who spotted the fire called 9-1-1 at 6:57 a.m.

TRENDING: Police say 8 dead, 20 critical in immigrant smuggling case

"I'm here at Maple Leaf and Ark and there's a house on fire," the caller told the dispatcher.

The caller did not know whether anyone was inside.

We’re working to gather more details.

MORE: Female bank robbery suspect held on 2 counts in Dayton

UPDATE @ 7:49 a.m.

The Montgomery County coroner’s office has been requested to the scene of a Harrison Twp. house fire, according to regional dispatchers.

UPDATE @ 7:40 a.m.

Flames are now out at the scene of a house fire in Harrison Twp. and a person is believed to still be inside the home, according to dispatchers. 

Dispatchers said no one was evacuated front the home when fire crews arrived just before 7 a.m. 

Initial reports indicate a large amount of smoke has filled the home in the 3500 block of Ark Avenue. 

A fire investigator is responding to the scene, according to scanner traffic.

We are working to learn the condition of the person previously trapped in the home as well as what caused the fire.

INITIAL REPORT

A person is reportedly trapped in a burning home on Ark Avenue in Harrison Twp. 

Fire crews were dispatched to the 3500 block of Ark Avenue around 7 a.m. on a report of a house fire. 

Initial reports indicate a person may be trapped in the house. 

Our newsroom is working to confirm details in this developing story.

Man hit by car during argument in Trotwood

Published: Sunday, July 23, 2017 @ 8:10 AM

Trotwood crews are responding to a reported pedestrian strike in Trotwood. 

Crews were dispatched to the 4400 block of Shorham Court around 7:55 a.m. 

A male caller told dispatchers his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend assaulted him before hitting him with a car. 

Initial reports indicate the man hit by the car refused medical treatment at the scene. 

The victim's condition, as well as what instigated the fight, remain unknown.

Man hit by car following fight in Dayton

Published: Sunday, July 23, 2017 @ 6:55 AM

UPDATE @ 7:25 a.m.

No one has been taken to the hospital from the scene of a reported pedestrian strike on Wayne Avenue Sunday morning. 

Dispatchers said a police officer is at the scene, but it doesn't appear anyone was severely injured. 

Initial reports indicated two men fighting - one armed with a knife - were near a Sunoco when one of the men was hit by a car. 

Dispatchers said a medic unit left the scene with no patients and additional crews called to the scene have since left.

INITIAL REPORT

Police and medic crews are responding to a reported pedestrian strike in Dayton Sunday morning.

Crews were dispatched to the intersection of Keowee Street and Wayne Avenue around 6:45 a.m. 

Initial reports indicate a man was hit by a car after fighting with another man near the Sunoco in the 900 block of Wayne Avenue. 

One of the men was armed with a knife, but it is unknown if anyone was injured during the argument. 

We are working to learn the condition of the person hit by the car.

Power restored to most after 24 hours of severe weather

Published: Saturday, July 22, 2017 @ 6:45 AM
Updated: Saturday, July 22, 2017 @ 6:45 PM

Outages due to Saturday storms

PHOTOS: Severe weather causes damage in the Miami Valley

UPDATE @ 6:45 p.m.

From its height of more than 22,000 Dayton Power and Light customers without power, only a handful are without service as of early evening on Saturday.

RELATED: Overnight storm destroys new outbuilding in Clark County

Efforts to restore power resulted in more than 400 DP&L line crews being deployed in the field, according to DP&L.

RELATED: More storms expected this evening

UPDATE @ 12:15 p.m.

Strong storms in the past 24 hours have wreaked havoc in the Miami Valley, causing damage to trees and property and knocking power out to tens of thousands of people.

Since Friday morning, there have been more than 22,000 Dayton Power and Light customers without power, according to a DP&L spokesperson.

By late Saturday morning, all but about 600 had been restored, and those remaining outages are tied to 76 “trouble calls,” mostly in the Dayton metro area, according to DP&L.

Efforts to restore power resulted in more than 400 DP&L line crews being deployed in the field, according to DP&L.

About 37 customers in Huber Heights have been without power since Friday morning when a large tree came down, snapping a utility pole and bringing down power lines.

DP&L reports crews are working to replace the pole and power should be restored by late this afternoon.

UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m.

Power remains out for more than a thousand residents in the Miami Valley, primarily in Montgomery, Mercer, Greene and Clark counties.

Dayton Power and Light (outages by county)

613: Montgomery 

344: Mercer 

173: Greene

Ohio Edison First Energy 

451: Clark

Duke Energy

84: Butler

UPDATE @ 8:27 a.m.

Power has been restored to all but 5 homes in Preble County while over 700 remain without electricity in Montgomery County, according to a DP&L outage map. 

A series of strong storms that moved through the West Alexandria area in Preble County are responsible for the outages, according to DP&L Director of Operations Kevin Hall. 

MORE: Area Power Outages

Downed trees and wind damage have caused similar outages in Miami, Greene and Clark Counties. 

“We have crews continuing to clean up from storms since yesterday,” Hall said. “We’ve been in storms operation mode attempting to restore power.”

Ohio Edison reports 751 homes are without power in Clark County as a result of storm damage.

RELATED: WHIO Interactive Radar

Hall did not advise when crews would have all power restored.

A downed tree can be seen in the 2900 block of Brewster Court in Springfield Saturday morning. (Angie Hess/Contributed)

UPDATE @ 7:24 a.m.

Another 120 homes in Clark County are without power, according to an Ohio Edison outage map. 

MORE: Stormy start to weekend

Downed tree limbs and wind damage have been reported in Springfield near Providence Road. 

Additional power outages have been reported in Montgomery County with DP&L reporting 561 outages. 

RELATED: Increased threat for showers, storms this weekend

1,600 homes remain in the dark in Preble County. 

We are working to learn what power crews are doing to restore service following Saturday morning's severe weather.

A mangled shed can be seen in the front yard of this Springfield home near Providence Road. (Robert Yontz/Contributed)

INITIAL REPORT

Nearly 1,600 Preble County homes are without power following severe weather Saturday morning, according to a DP&L outage map. 

A DP&L representative could not be reached for comment, but multiple downed trees have been reported in the county. 

Another 570 outages are reported in Clark County, according to Ohio Edison. 

141 DP&L customers living in Montgomery County are without power, while another 208 are without in Miami County. 

RELATED: Stormy start to weekend 

We are continuing to monitor power outages and damage reports as severe weather makes its way through the Miami Valley Saturday morning.