Student charged for making threats at Belmont High School

Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 10:11 AM
Updated: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 12:51 PM

Belmont high school students outside after being evacuated

A threat by a Belmont High School student who was taken into custody by police outside of school early Wednesday spiraled into rumors of an armed student in the school later in the morning, panicking students, prompting a lockdown and worrying parents with yet another report of a firearm in an area school.

  • Police responded to school about 10 a.m. Wednesday
  • Report of a gun was unfounded, police said
  • 30-40 police units, and fire medics, part of response
  • Classes resumed at 11:13 a.m.

UPDATE@4:16 p.m.: The student taken into custody has been charged with making terroristic threats, and was booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Justice Center, Dayton police said. 

UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m.:

Dayton police tweeted that threats had been made between two students outside of the school. It was then circulated rumors of that a weapon had been it into the school that prompted a lockdown Wednesday, according to police. 

PHOTOS: Belmont High School responds to threat

Nothing was found in the building during a sweep.

Dayton police Major Joe Wiesman said the department was prepared to respond to a situation like this and were at the building within seconds. They met with parents and students in the school’s auditorium before sending students back to class.

Weisman said everything they planned for was well executed. He also echoed the department investigated the initial text message exchange and made an arrest in that case.

Students were unaware that the text message issue was resolved, so someone called police to report a possible person with a gun in the building.

UPDATE @ 10:45 a.m.:

Dayton police said a report of a student with a gun at Belmont High School was unfounded, according to a tweet posted around 10:40 a.m. 

Police added that “everyone is safe.” 

“A rumor began circulating there was an active shooter at Belmont,” Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman Marsha Bonhart said in a emailed statement. “Because any threat is taken seriously, Dayton Police and (Dayton Public Schools) safety and security brought students to the exterior grounds of the building as an investigation continued. There is no indication of an active shooter.” 

Bonhart said a one-call was sent to parents alerting them of the situation.

A second, separate incident happened Wednesday morning before the gun threat, where one student texted  another, asking if it was true they were going to shoot-up the school, Bonhart said. The student responded “no” but the responding student was arrested for the incident. 

We’ll continue to update this page as details become available. 

UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m. 

Dayton police are currently investigating a report of a student that might have brought a gun to Belmont High School. 

TRENDING: RTA driver who slammed into several parked cars on paid leave

The investigation and evacuation of the school are not connected to an earlier investigation of a possible threat at the school, according to a Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman. 

Marshall Gorby/Staff

TRENDING: Man crashes on I-75, then steals car off highway

Medics have been sent to the scene to stage in the area, but there have been no reports of injuries initially, per scanner traffic. 

Some parents have arrived at the school to pick up students, according to the Dayton schools spokeswoman. 

We’ll continue to update this page as details become available. 


We’re working to learn more about an active investigation at Belmont High School in Dayton Wednesday morning. 

Police responded to the high school at 2615 Wayne Avenue around 10 a.m. on reports of a threat at the school, according to initial reports. 

Our crews on the scene report the school has been evacuated and students are outside the school.

Dispatchers said police responded to reports of someone in the school with a gun. 

Earlier this morning, this newsroom received tips a threat was under investigation at Belmont High School, but a Dayton schools spokeswoman was not able to confirm threats were under investigation. 

There have been no injuries reported, but multiple officers have responded to the scene. 

We’ll update this page as details become available. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton traffic from the WHIO Traffic Center

Published: Friday, March 02, 2018 @ 2:52 AM
Updated: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 12:44 AM

Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .

Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.

Major Highway Incidents

  • No incidents to report.

Surface Street Incidents

  • No incidents to report.

>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter

>> RELATED: Track the latest conditions in your neighborhood on our live WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Ongoing Construction & Other Closures 

Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.

Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map. 


  • Arlington Road between Pleasant Plain and Upper Lewisburg Salem Road, BRIDGE CLOSURE, March 5 - Sept. 30. All ramps for I-70 will remain open. 
  • Keowee Street north of Stanley Avenue, bridge closed until 2019. The official detour is: Keowee Street to Stanley Avenue to I-75 to Wagner Ford Road and back to Dixie. More information is available here.
  • Stewart Street Ramp to US 35 East, RAMP CLOSURE March 28 - Sept 30, 2018. The official detour is: Stewart Street to Edwin C. Moses Boulevard to I-75 north to US 35 west to James H. McGee Blvd. to US 35 east.
  • SR 48 between First Street and Riverdale Street, Lane closures March 19 - April 1. One lane will remain open in each direction.
  • SR 4 north/south between I-70 and Lower Valley Pike, Lane closure April 2 - 26. One northbound and two southbound lanes will remain open. 
  • I-75 north Ramp to US 35 west, RAMP CLOSURE, March 12 - Sept. 30. The official detour is: I-75 north to US 35 east to Jefferson/Main Street to Ludlow Street to US 35 west. 
  • I-75 north Ramp to US 35 west and east, Lane width restriction until Apr. 1, 2018. One lane will remain open on the ramp with a width of 11 feet.
  • US 35 east between Edwin C. Moses Boulevard and Jefferson Street, Overnight lane closures March 19 at 8 p.m. - March 20 at 6 a.m. Two eastbound lanes will remain open.


  • N. Market Street between Foss Way/Kirk Lane and Stonyridge Avenue, ROAD CLOSURE March 5 at 7 a.m. - Aug. 10 at 5 p.m. 
  • I-75 south near CR 25A (Piqua), Lane closure March 19 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. One southbound lane will remain open. 
  • US 36 westbound between Scott Drive and Kienle Drive, Lane closure March 26 - June 30. One westbound lane will remain open. 


  • SR 47 between Fifth Avenue and Wilkinson Avenue, Lane closures Jan. 21 - Nov. 27. One lane will remain open in each direction at all times. 
  • SR 274 between Shroyer Road and Island Avenue, Lane closure April 9 - June 9. One lane will remain open in each direction. 


  • SR 121 between Washington Street and Fairview Street, ROAD CLOSURE Mar. 12 - April 13. The official detour is: SR 722 to US 127 to SR 503. 
  • SR 121 between Arnold Street and Harter Road, ROAD CLOSURE Mar. 12 - April 13. The official detour is: SR 722 to US 127 to SR 503. 


  • I-70 east Ramp to I-675 north, RAMP CLOSURE March 15 - Aug. 15. The official detour is: I-70 east to I-675 south to SR 444 to I-675 north


  • US 68 between SR 508 and Township Road 310, ROAD CLOSURE April 23 - 27. The official detour is: US 68 to SR 296 to SR 29 to SR 235 to SR 47 to US 68. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Damage from electrical fire on Pinehurst Avenue estimated at $10K

Published: Monday, March 12, 2018 @ 4:33 PM
Updated: Monday, March 12, 2018 @ 5:37 PM

House fire on Pinehurst Ave in Dayton

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m.

A electrical fire that started in the basement of a residence on Pinehurst Avenue has been extinguished, according to Dayton District Fire Chief Adam Landis.

No injuries were reported. He estimated the damage at $10,000.

Landis also said the cause of the fire is under investigation and the residents will be able to stay in their house. 


Fire crews were dispatched to a working structure fire on the 50 block of Pinehurst Avenue on Monday afternoon. We are headed to the scene and will update you with the latest information. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Huber Heights man accused in federal hate crime case

Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 10:44 PM

Huber Heights man accused in federal hate crime case

A 32-year-old Huber Heights man was arrested Wednesday on a charge accusing him of committing a hate crime when federal authorities said he attacked a man outside a Cincinnati restaurant because the man identified himself as Jewish. 

Izmir Koch -- also under indictment in Montgomery County involving a June 2016 fight on Valley Street in Dayton -- remains in federal custody following his arrest on one count of committing a hate crime under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. 

Koch already has appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Stephanie Bowman, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Dayton firefighters rescue person in house fire

According to a federal indictment unsealed Wednesday, Koch was outside a restaurant with others on Feb. 4, 2017, when he allegedly yelled out asking if anyone outside the restaurant was Jewish. 

A victim responded that he was Jewish and it is alleged that Koch then ran to the man and punched him in the head. When the victim fell to the ground, Koch and others continued hitting and kicking him. 

The victim suffered injuries from the attack, including rib contusions and a fracture of his orbital floor - the bottom portion of an eye socket. 

"Physically attacking someone because you think he's Jewish or Christian or Muslim or any other religion is a federal crime," U.S. Attorney Benjamin Glassman said in the prepared statement. "This office prosecutes hate crimes." 

According to one Cincinnati media report, the victim was not actually Jewish, Glassman said at a news conference. 


A check of Montgomery County online court records shows that Koch was indicted in July 2016 on two counts of felonious assault (deadly weapon and serious harm). The status of the case is labeled "reopened" and a motion in the case was filed Tuesday. 

In that motion filed by the Montgomery County Prosecutor's Office, Koch and at least five other men accused of assaulting a man in a fight and stabbing June 7, 2016, outside SMS Trucking, 1602 Valley St., are claiming self-defense.

RELATED: 6 indicted in Valley Street fight, stabbing

The fracas involved men of Russian descent, police have said. 

One of the co-defendants claimed to a police detective that they committed the assault because the man "made disparaging comments about their mothers, and their culture does not permit such comments." 

The co-defendant also told the detective they all fought with the man because "they were not scared of him and they needed to handle the situation on their own." 

The prosecutor's office has asked the trial judge to compel the co-defendant to testify as to those statements. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Trending - Most Read Stories

Clipper-type system could bring snow to area this weekend

Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 @ 10:08 PM

Another storm system will threaten the Miami Valley with more snow as we head into the first weekend of Spring. It is too early to know the exact impact, or how much snow will fall, but our Storm Center 7 meteorologists say there is a chance for accumulation late Friday night into Saturday.

Those ready for spring weather likely won’t like this forecast.

A clipper-type system looks to spread snow into the region this weekend, Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell  said.

The storm system looks to arrive late Friday night or into Saturday morning. The current forecast track would bring snow across much of the Miami Valley during the day Saturday.

>> Whio Weather App

“Snow accumulation, perhaps heavy, would be likely along and north of the Ohio River should the current forecast track hold,” Elwell said, “but a lot can still change.”

If the system adjusts north, then the threat will be for more of a mix or perhaps even more rain than snow, Elwell said.

>> Severe Weather Alert Sign-up

However, the system could escape to the south with little to no local effect.

“We’ll know a lot more on the potential threat of this system by late Thursday. Stay tuned!” Elwell said.

Trending - Most Read Stories