log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 7:52 PM
Updated: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 11:30 PM
UPDATE @ 11:30 p.m.
A pickup truck, with no one inside, was pulled tonight from Loramie Creek. But it was not the first time today that crews were called to that location.
Crews this morning responded to a report around 7:50 a.m. that a woman was found wet and muddy sitting by the creek, said Shelby County Sheriff’s Deputy Steve Schaffner. She told deputies she was fishing with family along the bank when her children went back inside the house and that she later fell down the steep bank and became wet and muddy as she climbed her way out. She was taken to WilsonHealth by Houston Rescue, Schaffner said.
Deputies returned to the 5000 block of Houston Road after the truck was reported submerged in five feet of water around 6:30 p.m. in Loramie Creek. How it got there has not been determined.
“Right now, it’s still under investigation,” Schaffner said.
Deputies spoke again to the woman found by the creek in the morning, and she said the pickup had been stolen from her driveway. It had not been reported stolen, and is registered to the woman’s family member, the sergeant said.
Now, deputies want to speak to the registered owner.
In addition to the sheriff’s office, Sidney Fire and Rescue and Houston Fire and Rescue crews responded. Sidney Fire deployed a boat into the water and were able to put a cable around the truck to make sure no one was inside. Meyers Towing pulled the truck out of the water.
UPDATE @ 8:25 p.m.
The car was removed from the water, according to reports.
There was no one inside when it was pulled from the water.
A car was reported submerged in five feet of water in Shelby County.
The car was found in a body of water in the 5000 block of Houston Road.
Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 9:35 AM
Updated: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 9:55 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 9:55 a.m.
Unattended cooking has been blamed for causing a house fire on Iola Avenue in Dayton Friday.
CONTINUING COVERAGE: Tough decisions led to Good Samaritan Hospital closing
Firefighters reported flames and smoke coming from the rear of a home in the 900 block of Iola Avenue around 9:25 a.m. Friday.
The home’s occupant left the home, leaving cooking food on the stove, investigators said. The damage to the home will displace the occupant.
Firefighters have not been able to get in contact with the occupant.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters have responded to reports of a house fire on Iola Avenue in Dayton Friday morning.
Crews were dispatched around 9:25 a.m. to the 900 block of Iola Avenue and reported fire coming from the back of the structure.
Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 5:00 AM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — The specter of a partial federal government shutdown looms at midnight Friday, but many federal employees feel “immune” to the threat of being sent home in a repeated cycle of last-minute stopgap spending measures to avert a shutdown, union leaders say.
“I think employees are actually getting immune to it,” said Troy Tingey, president of the American Federal of Government Employees Council 214, which represents several thousand employees at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
But many also have lost patience.
“A lot of them are starting to look for other career fields in the private sector,” he said in a telephone interview Thursday from Hill Air Force Base, Utah. “They’ve had about enough of this.” And some are rethinking who should represent them in Congress, he added.
Congressional leaders are faced with the prospect for the fourth time since September voting for a short-term spending measure – called a continuing resolution – to avoid a government shutdown through mid-February. The consequences of a shutdown would likely furlough thousands of civil service workers at Wright-Patterson, as it did in 2013.
The House passed a stopgap spending measure in a 230-to 197-vote late Thursday. The bill now heads to the Senate where its fate was uncertain Friday.
President Donald Trump injected confusion by tweeting Thursday that a children’s health care program should not be part of a short-term budget agreement. The White House quickly said Trump indeed supports the House GOP measure, which would extend the popular Children’s Health Insurance Program, or CHIP, for six years and keep the government’s doors open through Feb. 16.
Waiting for word
Although a base spokesperson said Wright-Patterson has not received instructions to prepare for a shutdown, the last time a closure happened some civil service employees, such as police, fire, and medical workers, or those who were involved with the protection of life and property, were exempt. Military personnel stayed on the job.
Even so, when they report to work, they would likely not be paid until a funding deal was reached, two Wright-Patterson firefighter union leaders said.
“There is some stresses for some of our guys because they aren’t sure what’s going to happen,” said Brian Grubb, president of the International Association of Firefighters Local F88 at Wright-Patterson.
“I think for some of the newer employees that haven’t had to navigate this or just not knowing how long this potential shutdown could be …. there’s that uncertainty,” said Steven E. McKee, Local F88 secretary-treasurer and a firefighter.
“I can’t imagine a Google, Facebook or Ford Motor co. … running as inefficiently,” McKee said, adding “it’s a huge impediment, a hindrance and it’s not right. It’s not fair to either the federal worker and or the citizen.”
Tingey said many members have lost confidence in Congress and the White House.
“When we get out there and we talk to (employees), they just have lost all confidence and respect in not only in (the) House and Senate, but in the administration as a whole,” he said.
U.S. Reps. Mike Turner, R-Dayton, and Brad Wenstrup, R-Cincinnati, both members of the House Armed Services Committee, indicated Thursday they would vote for stopgap funding to keep the government open.
“We’re in the sad position of having to vote for another continuing resolution which shortchanges our military and our men and women in uniform,” said Turner, who has Wright-Patterson in his congressional district. “I believe that will pass the House … and then the Senate will be in a position to on a short-term basis continuing funding the government.
“The Senate has to stop holding the budget deal hostage,” Turner added. “They refuse to negotiate and discuss the budget deal until immigration is resolved and the government hasn’t been funded since the end of September. These are unrelated issues. They need to proceed in a decoupled fashion and it’s doing real damage to our military that Senate Democrat leadership continues to take that stand.”
Democrats are demanding a deal on legislation to offer protection from deportation to younger immigrants who were brought to the country as children and now are here illegally as a prerequisite for any longer-term government funding agreement. They say the four-week duration of the House continuing resolution is too long and would take the pressure off of immigration negotiations.
“We can’t keep careening from short-term CR to short-term CR. If this bill passes, there’ll be no incentive to negotiate and we’ll be right back here in a month with the same problems at our feet,” said Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.“Eventually, we need to make progress on the biggest issues before us.”
Wenstrup said lawmakers were “diligently” trying to prevent a shutdown.
“I think we’ll get there, but I’ve been wrong before,” he said.
Funding the military is the highest priority with the threats the United States faces around the world, he said.
“Although a CR likely will not have what we want in terms of funding our military fully, a CR is probably our least bad option and closing down the government is an even worse option,” said Wenstrup, who added a shutdown would mean training for National Guard and reserve troops would stop.
U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, has not indicate how he will vote on a short-term funding measure. He is waiting to see what is in the legislation before making a decision, his office said Thursday.
“There is no reason for a government shutdown,” the senator said in a statement. “Congress needs to come together and do its job.”
A spokeswoman for Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, said Portman would vote yes on a short-term spending resolution.
“Rob believes both parties have a responsibility to keep the government funded and ensure safety and stability for all Americans, especially those serving in our armed forces,” spokeswoman Emily Benavides said in an email. “He will certainly vote to keep the government open.”
Follow the daytondailynews.com and mydaytondailynews.com for the latest news on a potential government shutdown Friday.
Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:27 PM
SPRINGFIELD — Spc. Trevor Nichols, a soldier from Clark County, is missing from Fort Drum, N.Y., and a national organization is asking for the public's help in finding him.
"I see absolutely nothing that says foul play" or suicide, Brenda Paradise, a private investigator who volunteers for Guardian Search and Investigations.
That organization issued a press release Thursday about Spc. Nichols, 24, of Tremont City, was was last seen Nov. 17, according to Guardian Search and Investigations.
The watertowndailytimes.com is reporting that the specialist left without his driver’s license, military ID card or his cell phone and has not had any contact with his family since being missing.
Julie A. Halpin, Fort Drum spokeswoman, told the news organization that Spc. Nichols was a soldier with the 10th Mountain Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team as of November. He was listed as absent without leave on Nov. 15 and his status was updated to deserter on Dec. 18.
Paradise, in an interview with whio.com tonight, said the specialist was in basic training in 2012, has served a tour in Afghanistan and just returned from a tour in Iraq last May.
Spc. Nichols is estranged from his wife and they have a son who is just shy of 2 years old, Paradise said. She was living on base with the specialist until recently, Paradise said.
Paradise said the military was transitioning him farther away from his son, and that may have affected the specialist.
The soldier's mother, Erin Nichols, also has filed a missing person's report through the Clark County Sheriff's Office.
"I can't even imagine where he would have gone," she said in a phone call Thursday night.
Mrs. Nichols said her son, the youngest of three boys who grew up in Enon and joined the Army right out of Greenon High School, was to report to Fort Riley, Kansas, on Dec. 7.
She said she also believes that transfer has something to do with her son being missing.
Mrs. Nichols said she last spoke with him by phone on Nov. 14, the day he was trying to move his estranged wife's belongings to storage.
Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 9:06 AM
TROY – A former deputy director of the Miami County Board of Elections fired in January 2017 is suing the elections board and a former member, claiming violations of open meetings laws and defamation.
Eric Morgan of Tipp City filed the complaint in county Common Pleas Court. He seeks a court order invalidating the board’s vote to terminate him from the position, a return to the position and damages in excess of $25,000 from the board.
The lawsuit alleges the elections board violated Ohio’s public meetings law. The violations allegedly took place in January 2017 to discuss Morgan in a claimed undisclosed meeting and at least one other executive session at which the suit claims the topic of discussion was not disclosed publicly as required.
The failure to follow the meetings law should invalidate the board action, returning him to his former position, Morgan and his lawyer argue in the complaint.
Morgan also requests from former board member Dean Tamplin of Tipp City compensatory and punitive damages of more than $25,000 each as a result of alleged defamation. Tamplin and Morgan are both Democrats.
Morgan alleges he was asked by Tamplin to support Tamplin’s continued work on the board in 2017, but Morgan refused to say if he would. A few days later, on Jan. 24, 2017, he claims the board met in a special meeting, where Tamplin allegedly asked him to resign. When he refused, he was subsequently terminated from the job, Morgan claims.
He claims he was defamed when Tamplin “made statements to the press and other members of the (elections) board that the Democratic Party ‘lost confidence’ in Morgan and that was the reason for his termination,” the lawsuit contends. Morgan claims the statement was harmful to his reputation and his career as an election official.
Tamplin did not respond to a request for comment. The board of elections staff said both the elections director and deputy director were not available for comment.
Morgan was hired as the deputy director in March 2013.