breaking news


Overdose suspect in I-75 crash given summons to appear in court

Published: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 @ 9:39 AM

UPDATE @ 2:34 p.m.

The driver in this crash has been identified as Joseph Lucas, 29, of Sidney. He was issued a summons to appear in court on charges of OVI; failure to control; driving under suspension; and drug possession. 

Lucas reportedly admitted to using drugs, to the Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers. He was given four doses of Narcan to wake up.

Lucas was treated and released at Upper Valley Medical Center. 

UPDATE @ 12 p.m.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol Piqua Post received a 9-1-1 call from a southbound I-75 motorist reporting there was an erratic driver traveling all over the lanes.

When troopers got to the area, the erratic driver had already crashed into a guardrail.

Troopers used multiple doses to revive the driver, who admitted to using drugs, according to the patrol.

UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m.

I-75 South is back open north of Piqua after a driver suffered an overdose and crashed.

It was not a fatal overdose, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol Piqua Post.

It was a single-vehicle crash. The driver was revived with Narcan and transported to the Upper Valley Medical Center.

The investigating trooper went to the hospital for further investigation.

This was at least the second overdose-related crash that impacted traffic on I-75 in Miami County.

On Monday, northbound traffic was slowed after a driver overdosed on heroin and crashed into the median retention wires.

RELATED: Driver overdosed on heroin, crashed on I-75 N near Piqua

EARLIER

I-75 South is closed north of Piqua after a crash which was the result of an overdose, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol Piqua Post. 

All southbound lanes closed after the crash, which occurred shortly after 9 a.m. 

At 9:30 a.m., a tow truck was on scene and troopers were working to open one lane up to traffic.

We'll update this story as more information becomes available.

To provide a tip, call (937) 259-2237.

Professor fired after criticizing Warmbier and ‘white clueless males’

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 10:15 AM
Updated: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

The casket of Otto Warmbier is carried from his funeral at Wyoming High School June 22 in Wyoming, Ohio. Otto Warmbier, the 22-year-old college student who was released from a North Korean prison after spending 17 months in captivity for allegedly stealing a propaganda poster. Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images

A Delaware adjunct college professor who said on social media that Otto Warmbier’s “cluelessness” got him killed found her remarks got her fired from her job.

On her personal Facebook page, Kathy Dettwyler, a former adjunct professor at the University of Delaware, wrote that Warmbier situation was “typical of a mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueless males who come into my classes,” according to reports on Delaware Online and elsewhere.

A LOCAL MAN’S STORY:North Korea releases West Carrollton man

“These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn’t think they’d really have to read and study the material to get a good grade,” she said on her Facebook page, which has since been taken down or made private. “His parents ultimately are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted.”

Warmbier died in Cincinnati on June 19. He was a University of Virginia student visiting North Korea in January 2016 when he was arrested and sentenced to 15 years hard labor after being accused of stealing a propaganda poster from his hotel.

RELATEDFamily of West Carrollton man detained in North Korea keep low profile

Dettwyler’s remarks sparked an outcry, with people across the country calling for her to be fired.

“Katherine Dettwyler, who last taught in the spring as an adjunct faculty member, will not be rehired to teach at the university in the future,” a statement from University of Delaware read, according to Fox News.

“The comments of Katherine Dettwyler do not reflect the values or position of the University of Delaware,” the university also said. “We condemn any and all messages that endorse hatred and convey insensitivity toward a tragic event such as the one that Otto Warmbier and his family suffered.”

Kettering mayor named new board member for state group

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 11:37 AM


            Don Patterson, mayor, city of Kettering

Kettering Mayor Don Patterson was appointed as a board member to the Ohio Mayor’s Alliance, after receiving nomination from Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley.

Whaley nominated Patterson after informing the membership she was stepping down from the board in preparation for her gubernatorial run.

FOLLOW: Tre Hogue on Twitter and Facebook

“Mayors and elected leaders from different parts of the state need a forum to communicate, share ideas, and better understand the differences that sometimes divide us,” said Patterson. “The Ohio Mayors Alliance provides that forum, and I’m glad to be a part of it.”

The Ohio Mayors Alliance is a bipartisan organization comprised of mayors from among Ohio’s largest cities by population.

MORE: Stories from Kettering

Mom says child pricked by syringe from Kettering thrift store doll

Kettering, county surpass 2016 fatal overdose total before June

State seeks adult charges for teen accused of killing Fairmont student

Kettering company hires 40 employees

Dayton Air Show: Thunderbirds to resume flights, pilot still hospitalized

Published: Saturday, June 24, 2017 @ 11:33 AM
Updated: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 8:32 AM

UPDATE @ 11:22 a.m. (June 26):

The United States Air Force Thunderbirds will resume flying operations today, June 26 after the squadron departs Dayton for its home station at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. The team will hold routine practices Tuesday.

"Capt. Gonsalves remains in the hospital and is surrounded by loved ones," said Lt. Col. Jason Heard on Facebook. "I have full faith and confidence in our team to conduct the mission safely, we look forward to returning to flying operations."

UPDATE @ 9:47 a.m. (June 26):

The Thunderbirds will be taking off at 10:30 a.m. and the injured pilot is expected to be staying at the hospital for a couple more days, officials announced this morning.

Thunderbirds Capt. Erik Gonsalves has had two surgeries, but his injuries are less serious than initially thought, according to officials. 

RELATED: Attendance numbers released for 2017 air show

The damaged plane will be staying here locally and once able, it will be transported to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, officials said.

UPDATE @8:30 a.m. (June 26)

Thunderbirds Capt. Erik Gonsalves continues to receive treatment at Miami Valley Hospital.

A condition for Gonsalves was not available.

>> Air Show draws large crowds despite Thunderbirds crash

UPDATE @ 11:15 a.m. (June 25)

Thunderbirds Capt. Erik Gonsalves remains a patient at Miami Valley Hospital after he was extricated from an F-16 that overturned on the runway Friday at the Dayton International Airport.

Gonsalves Tweeted Saturday a picture of himself in the hospital bed stating, “Thanks for all the love and support. I'm doing okay. More to follow, I'm thankful for all our friendships.”

Staff Sgt. Kenneth Cordova was the passenger in the F-16. He was extricated from the aircraft and taken to the hospital where he has since been released.

Friday’s mishap forced the Thunderbirds to cancel their performances at this weekend’s Vectren Dayton Air Show.

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Jason Heard, Thunderbirds commanding leader, said Friday’s ‘mishap’ is under investigation and what caused it has not been determined.

Heard said upon landing after a “single-ship familiarization flight,” the fighter jet overturned on the runway and sustained damage, temporarily trapping Gonsalves and Cordova in the aircraft.

EARLIER

As the Vectren Dayton Air Show kicks off Saturday some visitors came to the show, unaware of Friday’s Thunderbird crash and cancellation of their performance Saturday.

Michael Werchowski, 44, brought his 11-year-old son, Miles, hoping to see the Thunderbirds, but didn’t know they weren’t performing until he arrived at Dayton International Airport.

>>WATCH LIVE PERFORMANCES FROM SATURDAY’S SHOW

It was the first air show for both.

“We’ve never seen a Blue Angels or Thunderbirds show before, but it is what it is,” Michael Werchowski, who drove in from Powell near Columbus for the show.

Miles didn’t seem fazed.

“I’m just here to see planes,” he said.

A two seat F-16 Thunderbird jet overturned at the airport after landing Friday, trapping the pilot and passenger until they were freed by first responders. 

RELATED: Thunderbird jet crashes ahead of Vectren Dayton Air Show

Both were hospitalized and reported in good condition. One team member has been released. The Thunderbirds have not yet made an announcement on whether they will perform at Sunday’s show.

Charles and Theresa Cooper, both 60, moved to New Lebanon in December after 40 years in California. The two grew up in the Miami Valley.  

“I’ve never been to the air show,” Theresa Cooper said. “I’ve never come. “It’s pretty exciting.”  

The couple were driving near the airport Friday when they spotted emergency vehicles and heard about the Thunderbird jet mishap.  

“So sad,” she said.  

Charles Cooper said he wanted to come to the air show anyway partly because of the region’s heritage as the birthplace of aviation. “Living in California, you don’t realize how much this region has to offer until you come back,” he said.

Gary and Linda Kish drove four hours from St. Clairsville near Wheeling, W.V., with two grandchildren, Jayden, 6, and Weston, 4, but weren’t deterred from coming when they heard the Thunderbirds canceled the Saturday show.

“We were eating ice cream when we heard about it,” Jayden said.

“It’ still a good time,” said Gary Kish, 64. “We’re just glad (the two Thunderbird two members) are OK.”

“What are you going to do?” asked Linda Kish. 

Vacant house damaged in morning fire

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 10:06 AM
Updated: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 11:33 AM

Marshall Gorby/Staff

UPDATE @ 11:30 a.m. 

Firefighters are investigating the cause of a Monday morning fire at a vacant house on Fountain Avenue in Dayton. 

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Initial reports indicated the fire was found on the outside of the structure, but firefighters did not indicate if they believe the blaze was suspicious. 

No injuries were reported. 

Additional details were not available. 

FIRST REPORT

Dayton firefighters have responded to a reported house fire on Fountain Avenue Monday. 

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Crews were dispatched to the first block of Fountain Avenue around 9:55 a.m. in Dayton on reports of flames showing from a structure. 

Initial reports indicate the structure is vacant and the fire was found mostly on the outside of the structure. 

We have a crew on the way and we’ll update this page as we learn more. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.