Name released of woman fatally shot at gender-reveal party; suspects, motives sought

Published: Sunday, July 09, 2017 @ 2:01 AM
Updated: Monday, July 10, 2017 @ 11:01 AM

Patrick Shanley, 30, lives on the block where the fatal shooting happened at the gender reveal party. He was shocked by the murder.

UPDATE @ 10:50 a.m., July 10:

Residents in a Cincinnati neighborhood are still trying to make sense of a shooting after a gender-reveal party Saturday night that killed one person and injured eight others. 

“It’s normally a quiet neighborhood, nothing goes on, friendly neighbors,” said Patrick Shanley, 30, who lives in the Capstan Drive neighborhood where a shooting occurred after a gender-reveal party Saturday night in Colerain. 

He says he was shocked by the shooting. His wife and child were home at the time but did not hear any gunshots, he said.

A Colerain police vehicle was parked today outside the home in the 900 block of Capstan Drive where the shooting occurred.

There have been no arrests at this point and no information has been released on a possible motive.

UPDATE @ 5:10 p.m.

A 22-year-old woman from Indiana was killed and eight others were injured during a shooting at a gender-reveal party near Cincinnati Saturday night, according to Colerain Twp. police.

<<911 call:  ‘They just ran in and started shooting’

>>New details: What we know about gender reveal party shooting

Autum Garrett has been identified as the victim who died as a result of gunshot wounds in the incident in the 9900 block of Capstan Drive.

Three children were among the eight others who suffered injuries not considered life-threatening. Police said they are ages 8, 6, and 2. There were other children inside the home who were not injured, according to police.

>>VIDEO: Neighbor says before shooting it was ‘real quiet, just a nice party’

Police said Garrett had already succumbed to her injuries when first responders arrived on scene. There were more than nine people in the home at the time, but police are not sure of how many.

All those who were injured were in the same room when the shooting happened and all the injuries are from gunshot wounds, according to police.

FROM THE SCENE: Shooting at Hamilton County party

There have been no arrests at this point and no information was released on a possible motive.

Colerain Twp. Police Chief Mark Denney said in an afternoon press conference that his department does not know if the shooting was random, targeted or intended for someone else. 

“I would like nothing more in my position to be able to stand up here and tell the community they have absolutely nothing to worry about but I’m not going to provide statements or information that’s false just to make people feel better,” Denney said.

“We don’t know who the suspects are or why they did this,” he continued. “We would encourage people to take the same precautions they always do, call our police department if there’s anything suspicious, to take reasonable precautions, to keep your house locked and lights on, but we have no information that makes us believe that there’s any specific threat to our community.”

UPDATE @ 3:41 p.m.

Police continue to look for those responsible for a deadly shooting Saturday night at a gender-reveal party near Cincinnati. 

The woman who hosted the party reported she was shot in the leg and lost her unborn baby as a result.

The woman was on crutches and returning to her home where the shooting occurred on Capstan Drive when she was briefly interviewed this morning by our news partner in Cincinnati, WCPO-Ch. 9

Colerain Twp. police are expected to release more information during a press conference at 4:30 p.m.

According to the 9-1-1 records, a male called 9-1-1 from inside the home shortly after it happened.

The caller claimed he was one of the nine people shot and told the dispatcher no one had descriptions of the shooters. “Somebody just came in and shot all of us…” the caller said. “It’s a couple people that got hit. There’s a baby that was shot in the leg, I’m shot. It’s a whole lot of people in here shot.”

The caller told the dispatcher they were watching TV when “they just ran in here and started shooting at everybody.”

Another 9-1-1 caller reported that she attended the party and was sitting in her car when she saw two hooded people enter the home, then a short time later exited and ran away from the house.

We’ll continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

UPDATE @10:58 a.m.

A neighbor tells us it was a typically “tranquil” Saturday on Capstan and Hollis drives as people attended an afternoon gender-reveal party that stretched into the night in the Colerain Twp. neighborhood.

>>RELATED: What is a gender reveal party?

That tranquility was shattered around 11:30 p.m. when police responded to shots fired at the home where the party was happening.

Vehicles were parked up and down the block as tables were set up and balloons adorned the backyard of the home where the party occurred, according to the neighbor.

>>VIDEO: Police briefing on shooting

The neighbor tells us she heard what she thought were firecrackers and thought nothing of it because a nearby bar was shooting fireworks that night.

Police tell us a woman was killed and eight people were hurt when one or more persons opened fire at the party.

The victims have not been identified and detectives are working to identify and apprehend the suspects.

UPDATE @ 10 a.m.

A woman who was among the gunshot victims at a gender-reveal party in the Cincinnati area reports she was shot in the leg and lost her unborn baby as a result of what happened, according to a report from our news partner in Cincinnati, WCPO-Ch. 9.

The victim was on crutches when she was briefly interviewed by a WCPO reporter. She had just returned from the hospital to the neighborhood where the shooting occurred in Colerain Twp.

Detectives are pursuing leads in an effort to identify and apprehend one or more shooters, who left one person dead and eight others wounded, including three children, said Jim Love, Colerain Twp. police spokesman.

The victims have not been identified. One adult was listed in critical condition at University of Cincinnati Medical Center and one is in serious condition.

Love said those who fired the shots were able to get away and detectives are working to find them and determine a possible motive for what happened.

We are working to learn more and will update this story as more information becomes available.  

UPDATE @ 8:55 a.m.

A pregnant victim in the shooting has lost her baby after being shot Saturday night, according to WCPO.

UPDATE @ 6:56 a.m.

A woman is dead and three children are at Cincinnati Children's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries following a shooting in Hamilton County Sunday morning. 

One adult is at University of Cincinnati Medical Center in critical condition and another in serious but stable condition, according to hospital staff. 

Three others are in stable condition at the hospital with one person reportedly shot in the leg and another in the stomach. 

MORE: The latest: Police seek tips request on Ohio slayings of 8

WCPO reports radio logs indicate there may have been two shooters at the gender reveal party held at a home in the 9900 block of Capstan Drive. 

Gender reveal parties are held by expectant parents to confirm whether the baby will be a boy or a girl. 

Party-goers were reportedly watching a movie at the time of the shooting, according to Colerain police public information officer Jim Love. 

Love said no suspects are in custody, but detectives are currently following leads. It is unknown if the children were the target of the shooting.

UPDATE @ 4:50 a.m.

A woman is dead and three children are in the hospital following a shooting in Hamilton County’s Colerain Twp. Saturday night.

Our news partner WCPO reports at least nine people were shot while watching a movie at a gender reveal party, where expectant parents reveal whether the baby will be a boy or a girl.

The three injured children have been taken to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, according to Colerain police, while the remaining surviving victims are recovering at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. The extent of their injuries are unknown at this time.

WCPO reports the intersection of Capstan and Redskin drives remains closed while police continue an investigation.

UPDATE @ 3:22 a.m.

An adult was killed and multiple children injured when a shooting broke out at a Capstan Avenue home in Hamilton County, according to police.

Colerain police said adults and children at the house were watching a movie when the shooting took place in the 9900 block of Capstan Avenue, just north of Northgate Mall.

Homicide detectives are at the scene investigating.

UPDATE @ 3:13 a.m.

Children are among those wounded in a Saturday night shooting in Colerain Twp., according to Colerain police.

WCPO, our Cincinnati news partner, reports the shooting reportedly took place at a gender reveal party.

We are continuing to follow this developing story out of Hamilton County.


Seven people have been shot and one person is dead following a Saturday night shooting in Colerain Twp., Hamilton County, according to our Cincinnati news partner WCPO.

Police were dispatched to the shooting in the 9900 block of Capstan Avenue near Northgate Mall around 11:30 p.m.

WCPO reports the shooting is one of the largest mass shootings reported in the area in recent years.

Police have not released further details. 

OVI checkpoint scheduled for West Chester Twp. tonight

Published: Friday, July 28, 2017 @ 1:40 AM

WEST CHESTER TWP. — The Butler County O.V.I. Task Force will conduct an OVI checkpoint in West Chester Twp. on July 28.

WATCH: Miami Valley's Most Wanted

The checkpoint will be held from 9 p.m. on Friday to 1 a.m. Saturday on Ohio 747 north at Peters Place just south of Mulhauser Road, according to a Butler County O.V.I. Task Force news release.  

LOCAL NEWS: 4 local cases of mothers who killed their infant children

Officers, deputies and troopers will aggressively combat alcohol related crashes by combining the checkpoint with saturation patrols, according to the task force news release.  

The Butler County O.V.I. Task Force is funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Ohio Department of Public Safety. 

3 due in court, accused of committing series of Huber Heights burglaries

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 8:57 PM

Nathan Bush III  (left), Duane Childress Jr. (upper right), and Devin Jackson (lower right). (Courtesy/Huber Heights Police Division)
Nathan Bush III (left), Duane Childress Jr. (upper right), and Devin Jackson (lower right). (Courtesy/Huber Heights Police Division)

Three men suspected in a series of burglaries in Huber Heights are scheduled to be in court Friday on charges that include weapons possession and receiving stolen property.

Nathan Bush III, 21; Duane Childress Jr., 22; and Devin Jackson, also 22, were arrested by Huber Heights police Tuesday. 

SEE: More crime, law headlines

All three are in the Montgomery County Jail on the following charges: 

  • Bush III: Felony weapons possession ($200,000 bail), felony theft ($25,000 bail), complicity to commit burglary. 
  • Childress Jr.: Felony burglary ($50,000 bail), misdemeanor receiving stolen property. 
  • Jackson: Felony weapons possession ($100,000 bail), four counts receiving stolen property ($25,000 bail). 
  • Added charges of receiving stolen property have been approved for Bush and Jackson, regarding other criminal activity in Huber Heights, police officials said in a statement published to Facebook on Thursday evening. 

Police division officials, in the same statement, said police are reviewing evidence involving other active cases that may involve the three men. 

If you have information you feel would help the investigation, you are asked to contact the police division investigative section, 937-233-1565.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Ohio State Fair tragedy: Ride passed inspection hours before fatal accident

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 7:48 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 7:57 PM

Enhanced Video: Ohio State Fair ride malfunction

A Dutch manufacturer has ordered ride operators worldwide to cease operations of the type of amusement park ride that killed a man and injured seven other people Wednesday at the Ohio State Fair.

“In the accident a passenger-carrying gondola detached from the supporting sweep arm” of the Fire Ball, according to Albert Kroon, product manager for KMG International of The Netherlands. As is broke apart in mid-air, the gondola and riders were flung to the ground.

  • 1 killed, 7 hurt when riders are thrown from The Fire Ball
  • Ohio State Fair gates reopened at 9 a.m. Thursday
  • Gov. John Kasich orders all rides shut down until they are inspected again
  • Kasich said inspection records for all fair rides will be made available
  • Ohio State Fair the day after ride accident


>>Company orders rides closed after accident

>>Five things to know about the Fire Ball ride

>>How common are festival ride accidents?

>>Read the safety inspection report on the Fireball ride

James Brown interviews eyewitness to Ohio State Fair accident

Operators of the ride, as well as one called Move-it, “are instructed to cease operation of the ride until further notice” as the company investigates the accident, Kroon said in a news release.

The ride operator, Amusements of America, issued a statement Thursday through a public relations firm, saying the ride was inspected by the company staff as well as “independent inspectors” prior to the fair opening.

“Our family owned company is committed to working with state and local experts in trying to determine the cause of this tragic incident,” according to the news release. “We are keeping those impacted by this tragic situation in our prayers and fully cooperating with those investigating this accident.”

Wednesday was the opening day of the fair.

A full investigation of the ride and accident is ongoing, said Col. Paul Pride, Ohio Highway Patrol superintendent.

Pride said people on the ride and on the ground were injured in the incident. He gave no timetable for how long the patrol’s investigation would take.

All of the state fair’s rides will remain shut down until all have been re-inspected and deemed safe. The midway is closed off and inaccessible to the public.

A state trooper is among those who witnessed the accident and Pride said investigators are seeking other witnesses, including those on the ride, who have not already talked to investigators.


>>James Brown interviews eyewitness of tragedy

>>Footage of Fire Ball ride operating properly (from the past)

>>Aerial scenes show aftermath of fatal malfunction

>>6 other serious events at fairs in Ohio

Witnesses are asked to call a hotline at (614) 799-6633.

Investigators also are seeking any video clips people have of the ride and have asked YouTube to remove a video showing the incident and bodies being flung from the ride.

“Its kind of disturbing to watch that knowing what the outcome is,” Pride said.

The Fire Ball, also marketed as the Afterburner, features a long swinging pendulum arm. At the end of the arm, suspended from spokes, are six gondolas, which seat a total of 24 people. The arm swings up with a maximum height of 65 feet, while the gondolas revolve at 15 revolutions per minute, according to the manufacturer’s website.

The ride is constructed on two semi-trailers and takes three people to assemble. Assembly time is three to four hours, according to the manufacturer.

Inspections done the day of accident

The ride was built in 1998, according to the Associated Press. It passed a standard Ohio Department of Agriculture inspection earlier in the day Wednesday and also passed the company’s daily inspection before the accident.

Inspectors review a long list of items, including location and installation, along with structural issues such as pins, retainers, hydraulics and signs of wear. They also inspect the “tub and vehicle,” meaning the place where the riders are held in place, looking at restraints, latches, wheels and the overall condition.

Electrical inspections include the ride transformer, insulation on wires and cables, switches and controls and ensuring there is no stray voltage.

In October, the ride received a visual weld inspection of structural components and an ultrasonic examination of gondola pins by an engineering company, Soil Consultants, Inc. of Charleston, S.C. No defects were found in either inspection, according to the report.


Ohio law mandates both of those inspections.

Larry Zavodney, senior professor of mechanical engineering at Cedarville University, said inspectors “look for evidence of deformation of metal, or cracks. You look for something that has either stretched, or bent or deformed or you look for cracks,” Zavodney said.

The ultrasonic tests are done to find cracks that cannot be seen because those often are what causes a part to fail.

“My hunch is that that is what happened, that some microcracks developed that were not visible and the cracks grew and at excessive load conditions, which is what this ride would produce, it led to a part failing,” said Zavodney. “When one part fails it’s a cascade and another part will fail and another part will fail and finally something comes apart.”

Passers by look at the fire ball ride as Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers stand guard at the Ohio State Fair Thursday, July 27, 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. The fair opened Thursday but its amusement rides remained closed one day after Tyler Jarrell, 18, was killed and seven other people were injured when the thrill ride broke apart and flung people into the air.(AP Photo/Jay LaPrete)

Records provided by the state of Ohio included copies of maintenance and operations certifications for two people to operate or attend the Fire Ball ride. Duwan Dowdy, the ride attendant, signed his training certification Wednesday. Luis Benitez, the ride operator, certified his training on June 22.

Dowdy, 21, lives in Columbus, according to a background check and Franklin County Board of Elections records.

It is unclear if either of the men were on shift at the time of the incident.

The records show the ride was previously operated at New Jersey’s State Fair Meadowlands from June 22 to July 9.

In 2014 South Carolina inspectors inspected a Fire Ball ride with the identical serial number of the one in Columbus. The ride received an unsatisfactory mark for “electrical equipment, wiring, fusing, wiring systems and lighting attachments. The issue was corrected and passed upon re-inspection.

GRAPHIC IMAGES: Footage from Ohio State Fair accident

Victim just enlisted in Marines

Tyler Jarrell, 18, of Columbus, was thrown from the ride and died at the scene, and his girlfriend Keziah Lewis, 19, of Columbus, was injured.

The Columbus Dispatch interviewed her mother, Clarissa Williams, who said Jarrell had just enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps. Asked if she was angry at the fair or amusement ride company, Williams told the Dispatch, “I just feel something went terribly wrong, something was overlooked that they should have secured more.”

Three of the injured were taken to OhioHealth Grant Medical Center, and two were released by Thursday morning. One, Jennifer Lambert, 18, of Columbus, remains there in critical condition, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

Tyler Jarrell, 18, of Columbus, Ohio, recently enlisted in the Marine Corps was killed and seven others were injured, five critically, when a ride malfunctioned on the opening day of the 2017 Ohio State Fair in Columbus.(United States Marine Corps Recruiting South Columbus)

A condition was unavailable on a 14-year-old boy whose parents did not release his name.

Of the three injured people at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, two patients remain in critical condition, and another remains in serious condition after multiple surgeries. The families of those three released a statement thanking the community for an outpouring of concern.

“We appreciate all of your prayers, and we are keeping those who were injured and died in our prayers as well,” they said. “As we focus our attention on the long healing process, we are asking media and the community to respect our privacy during this very difficult time.”

Aerial scenes above accident at Ohio State Fair

Governor Kasich visits fairgrounds

At the fairgrounds Thursday morning, Ohio Gov. John Kasich faced one of the biggest mobs of reporters in his six years as governor. Standing on a makeshift platform near the main gate, Kasich said the Ohio Highway Patrol has his full and total confidence as it conducts the investigation. He promised to stay out of the investigation and said there will be complete transparency.

“We can’t speculate on what we’ll find. What we do know is there will be lessons learned in one way or another that can then be passed on to many of the amusement parks and fairs all across America,” Kasich said.

Passers by look at the fire ball ride as Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers stand guard at the Ohio State Fair Thursday, July 27, 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. The fair opened Thursday but its amusement rides remained closed one day after Tyler Jarrell, 18, was killed and seven other people were injured when the thrill ride broke apart and flung people into the air.(AP Photo/Jay LaPrete)

He added: “This will not define the Ohio State Fair. The Ohio State Fair will carry on.”

Kasich said he has reached out to the victims’ families and he hopes to meet with them.

Ohio Department of Agriculture Director David Daniels said ride safety is a top priority and inspections are taken seriously, but rides are mechanical equipment that can fail from time to time. His department is in charge of the inspections.

Kasich said despite best efforts to keep rides safe, there are no guarantees in life. He said he thinks about those people thrown from the ride and those hit by debris.

“That’s a nightmare. It’s a terrible situation but all we can do is what is humanly possible to make sure that we provide the safety and the inspections,” Kasich said.

The ride at the fair malfunctioned.

RELATED: After tragedies, rides inspected for safety at area fairs

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

1 of 2 dogs rescued in Vandalia house fire taken to vet, second runs off

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 5:44 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 7:09 PM

House fire in Vandalia

UPDATE @ 6:55 p.m.: One of two dogs found in the rubble of a Vandalia home damaged by smoke and fire has been taken to an animal hospital and the other ran off as soon as firefighters brought it outside, Fire Chief Chad Follick said. 

The dog that ran off will be fine, the chief said. 

SEE: Trending news headlines

No humans were injured in the house fire on Long Street, the cause of which is under investigation. 

Flames heavily damaged the first floor of the home and there is lots of smoke damage, Follick said, but it's too soon to estimate the dollar loss to the contents and structure.

A fire investigator has been called to the address. 

The house is not habitable, he said.

UPDATE @ 5:50 p.m.:  Firefighters searching a Vandalia home damaged by fire and smoke have found two dogs alive in the rubble. 

The extent of their injuries is not known.

SEE: More local news headlines


Crews are on the scene of a house fire on Long Street in Vandalia. 

Firefighters reported seeing a lot of smoke coming from the house as they arrived just before 5:30 p.m. 

We have a crew on scene.

We will update this developing report.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to