Vandalia moratorium won’t stop Miami Valley Shooting Grounds bid for new permit

Published: Monday, October 23, 2017 @ 5:58 PM
Updated: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 @ 9:45 PM

Vandalia Police Chief Douglas Knight revoked the permit for Miami Shooting Grounds following complaints from a neighbor that bullets from the range were landing on his property. STAFF
Vandalia Police Chief Douglas Knight revoked the permit for Miami Shooting Grounds following complaints from a neighbor that bullets from the range were landing on his property. STAFF

UPDATE @ 9:40 p.m. (Nov. 8): The city of Vandalia has issued a six-month moratorium on issuing permits for shooting ranges, as well as permits to discharge a firearm within city limits. 

That's the word from city spokesman Rich Hopkins. 

The moratorium has no affect on the two applications already submitted to the city by the owners of the Miami Valley Shooting Grounds, he said. 

Those permit applications were submitted before the moratorium went into effect, he said. Those two applications will be decided upon, in the near future, based on their merits, Hopkins said.

EARLIER REPORT (Oct. 23)

The Miami Valley Shooting Grounds owner will reapply this week with the city of Vandalia for a permit to operate the gun range, an attorney for the business said.

Vandalia Police Chief Douglas Knight stripped the Miami Valley Shooting Grounds and its owner Dana Tackett of their permit to discharge firearms. The chief made his decision after finding firearms were discharged “in a manner that is not compliant” with the permit, according to a letter.

Instead of appealing the chief’s decision, the Miami Valley Shooting Grounds will begin anew the permit process.

MORE: Vandalia man sues shooting range, alleges stray bullets hit land

“There was no appeal filed, rather, the shooting grounds is preparing permit applications to address the chief’s concerns,” said Timothy Rudd, the range’s attorney.

The range will submit an application this week for the indoor range and a separate application regarding the outdoor range will follow, Rudd said.

Last month, the Dayton Daily News and WHIO revealed a Vandalia police officer said he “retreated behind” his cruiser when responding Sept. 7 to a call in over errant bullets from the shooting grounds.

The officer’s superior said it “was obvious … that the shooters were a threat to public safety and not in compliance with the permit” the police chief issued in 2007, according to the officer’s report.

MORE: Miami Valley Shooting Grounds loses permit

In his revocation letter, the Vandalia police chief alleged Tackett, the range, and its representatives violated the permit or Vandalia’s ordinances by:

• Discharging firearm(s) from a place other than the permit premises;

• Failing to take all necessary measures and provide supervision sufficient to ensure that projectiles are confined to the property;

• Firing weapons in a direction other than from east to west perpendicular to and using as backstop the 50-foot hill on the western edge of the permit premises;

• Projectiles not being confined to the property;

• Knowingly discharging a firearm in or on a mother vehicle.

Previously, Rudd said the chief’s decision to revoke the permit “has nothing to do with any projectiles” going onto the land of Jamie Spencer, a person who owns property near the range and is suing it and Tackett.

Spencer alleges stray bullets are flying onto his property, according to a Sept. 8 complaint in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Last week, the shooting grounds asked the court to allow a second extension before they respond to the complaint. The 21-day extension would allow two additional defense attorneys on the case to “thoroughly investigate and research” Spencer’s claims.

Plane crash investigation underway at Grimes Field in Urbana

Published: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 4:53 PM

The roof of a police patrol car at night, with the blue and red lights flashing.
kali9/Getty Images/iStockphoto
The roof of a police patrol car at night, with the blue and red lights flashing.(kali9/Getty Images/iStockphoto)

State troopers are investigating a plane crash that occurred at Grimes Field Airport in Urbana Sunday afternoon. 

TRENDING: Local business owner fires at would-be robbers, thwarts phone store robbery

Investigators were dispatched to the airport around 3:30 p.m. Sunday after the incident was reported. 

>>Latest local headlines

Dispatchers said the incident was ‘minor’ and no injuries were reported. 

Additional details, including possible factors were not immediately available. 

We’re monitoring this developing story and we’ll update this page as details become available. 

Dayton business owner fires shots, thwarts mobile phone store robbery

Published: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 9:43 AM
Updated: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 10:49 AM

STORE SURVEILLANCE: Fix or Cell Now robbery

UPDATE @ 10:44 a.m.

The owner of a Dayton mobile phone repair shop is calling for stricter punishment for robbers targeting area phone stores. 

Adam Seaton, owner of Fix or Cell Now, thwarted a Sunday morning robbery attempt at his store when he fired shots at the suspects. 

“Give these guys [robbery suspects] punishment. They’re just stealing them [cell phones] and the courts just let them out the next day,” Seaton said. 

"“It’s not the police it’s the justice system. The police arrest them and the courts just let them out the next day." 

Seaton said this is the fourth robbery - and the first he's successfully stopped, since opening his store in December. 

As for what other business owners can do to prevent robberies, Seaton advises they purchase a folding security gate. 

"Just had my security gate save my inventory from getting stolen so invest in one of those," Seaton said.

The owner of Fix or Cell Now says he fired shots at potential robbers.

EARLIER REPORT

A Dayton business owner says he caught a group of burglars breaking into his cell phone store before firing shots at the suspects Sunday morning.

Dayton police were dispatched to Fix or Cell Now at 619 Watervliet Street around 5:09 a.m. after the business' owner called to report the attempted robbery. 

According to a police report, owner Adam Seaton was blocks away when he received a notification on his phone from the store's security system. 

>> Belmont Market manager holds would-be robber at gunpoint

As he arrived to the store, Seaton told Dayton police he saw two men running from the store. Seaton said one of the men then stopped, pulled out a gun, and pointed it in his direction. 

According to police, Seaton then grabbed an AK-47 from his passenger seat and fired at the men. Seaton told our breaking news team he believes one of his bullets hit a suspect, but he cannot be sure. 

"Typically robberies at the store are done in 20 to 45 minutes, but I happened to be in the right place at the right time," Seaton said. 

>> Circle K on Watervliet Ave. is robbed of cash

Seaton told police the would-be-thieves wearing black masks fled on foot after he fired shots. He said he followed the two men in his truck as they made their way into a running getaway truck parked in the 2500 block of Mundale Avenue. 

Seaton continued to follow the suspects in his truck. That's when he says the suspects began firing shots at his vehicle out of a driver side window. 

Police said Seaton ended his pursuit at the intersection of Smithville Road and Linden Avenue before returning to the store to alert police. 

>> Can you ID CLark’s Pharmacy robbers in Brookville

According to the report, officers reviewed store surveillance which showed one suspect throw a brick through a security-gate reinforced window while another stood watch outside of the store. 

Seaton said this is the fourth attempted robbery at his store since its opening in December. He said broken glass and shell casing could be seen in the store's parking lot Sunday morning.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Drugs, alcohol potential factors in wrong-way crash on I-75 in Dayton

Published: Saturday, November 18, 2017 @ 4:40 AM
Updated: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 4:20 AM

UPDATE @ 4:13 a.m.

Drugs or alcohol may be a factor in a Saturday morning wrong-way crash in Dayton that sent three to the hospital. 

A crash report reveals Glenn Ellis, 47, of Dayton, was driving northbound in the center, southbound lane of I-75 when he struck a southbound Toyota Prius. 

The driver of the Toyota swerved to avoid Ellis' oncoming minivan, and in doing so avoided a head-on collision, according to the report. 

Three people including Ellis and the driver and passenger in the Toyota were taken to Miami Valley Hospital from the scene. 

In their report, police said the crash remains under investigation while Ellis' lab results are processed. 

We are working to learn the conditions of each victim.

EARLIER REPORT

At least two people are at Miami Valley Hospital following a wrong-way crash on I-75 Saturday morning, according to dispatchers. 

Crews were sent to the two-car crash on southbound I-75 at West Third Street just before 2 a.m. 

Dispatchers said their call center received reports of a wrong-way driver shortly before the crash. 

>> 911 callers warn of wrong-way driver on SB I-75 prior to fiery crash

It is unknown how many people were injured, but three medics responded to the scene, according to dispatchers. 

The conditions of the two confirmed victims remain unknown. 

We will update this story as new details become available.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Springfield stabbing victim suffers life-threatening injury, police search for suspect

Published: Saturday, November 18, 2017 @ 3:04 AM
Updated: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 5:50 AM

UPDATE @ 5:49 a.m.

Police are searching for a suspect in a Friday night stabbing outside of Whitey's Tavern in Springfield, according to a Springfield police report. 

Crews were dispatched to the 1100 block of Warder Street around 11:39 p.m. after a pizza delivery driver found the victim and called 911. 

Upon arriving, police found Jacob Trinkler, 24 of Springfield, with a heavily bleeding stab wound to the chest. Medics took Trinkler from the scene to Springfield Regional Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

The delivery driver told police she saw Trinkler and the suspect arguing before the stabbing and witnessed the suspect take off down a nearby bike path after the attack. 

According to the report, a K-9 unit assisted officers in locating blood-stained rocks and a cell phone in a nearby area. 

Officers collected DNA swabs from the rocks and continue to investigate.

EARLIER REPORT

Springfield police are searching for a suspect after a man was stabbed in the chest, according to Springfield Sgt. Michael Curtis. 

Crews were dispatched to the 1100 block of Warder Street around 11:40 p.m. Friday on a report of a stabbing. 

Officers arrived to find the victim coherent and unable to recall the events leading up to the stabbing, according to Curtis. 

Curtis said a medical helicopter took the victim from the scene to Miami Valley Hospital where he remains in an unknown condition. 

Aided by a K-9 unit, Springfield officers were unable to locate a suspect at the scene. 

The incident remains under investigation.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com