Man who caused disturbance at Kettering store faces charges

Published: Saturday, March 18, 2017 @ 3:56 PM

UPDATE @ 2:18 p.m. (March 20)

The man who was arrested during a disturbance at the Cricket store on Patterson Road Saturday is facing charges of obstructing official business and resisting arrest.

Dayton responded to multiple reports from different locations involving the same man — 30-year-old Walter Phibbs III — who was observed walking down the middle of city streets carrying a crowbar, according to the Dayton police report.

Phibbs was eventually located after an employee at Cricket, 2290 Patterson Road, called 9-1-1 to report a man was in the store with a crowbar claiming he had been assaulted and asking for someone who was not at the store, according to the report.

Police said the responding officer observed the man was bleeding from a wound on the neck and he was wearing a torn jacket. The man reportedly told the officer, “They drugged me. They assaulted me and everything else,” according to the report.

Police said Phibbs had a crowbar and what was described as a steering-wheel locking device, but he refused to drop the items, refused to give his identity and fought with the officer before being handcuffed and taken to the Kettering Jail, according to the report.

Kettering police spokesman John Jung said Phibbs does not have any history of confrontations with Kettering police. A check of Dayton Municipal Court records show Phibbs has some traffic violations on file but no criminal history.

UPDATE @ 4:28 p.m. (March 18)

Witnesses tell us a man who caused a disturbance at the Cricket store, 2290 Patterson Road, was arrested after several police officers responded to the scene this afternoon.

Police did not provide any information about what happened at the scene.

However, witnesses tell us the man who was arrested went into the Cricket store and was talking about random things and using profanity. The man left and returned to the store carrying a crowbar and a device used to lock steering wheels, according to a Cricket employee.

The suspect was also seen walking down the middle of Patterson Road carrying the crowbar and the other “club.” A driver named Andrew tells us he veered to avoid hitting the guy.

The driver said he turned around and followed the suspect to the Cricket store where he was arrested.

EARLIER

Police responded after a suspicious person was reported at or near Dot’s Market, 2274 Patterson Road.

Officers were notified that a male was on scene with a crowbar around 3:30 p.m.

We’re working to learn more and will update this story as more information becomes available.

Download our free apps to get news and weather updates on your mobile devices. 

Much more active weather develops over next 24 hours

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 11:00 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 27, 2017 @ 12:15 AM

Several storm systems will cross the region beginning this morning and continuing into early next week, Storm Center 7 Chief Meteorologist Eric Elwell said.

The first round of showers and storms of this much more active weather pattern developing over the next 24 hours is expected to push across the Miami Valley during the first half of today. The Storm Prediction Center said there is a marginal chance for a strong storm, which could include damaging winds, hail and/or an isolated tornado.

RELATED: WHIO Interactive Radar

Storms should exit the area by early afternoon with a period of calm weather tonight into much of Friday. However, another storm system will bring storms back to the region by Friday evening, Elwell said.

The Storm Prediction Center said severe storms could spread into southwest Ohio by late Friday. This weekend system could bring locally heavy rainfall, Elwell said.

"The Gulf of Mexico will be open for business," Elwell said, "which will mean any storms could be very proficient at generating heavy rain.” 

RELATED: 5-Day Forecast

The weekend storm system is expected to stall to the west of the region allowing storms to briefly diminish Sunday, but return late Sunday into Monday as the system finally lifts northeast into Canada. More heavy rain and strong storms could be likely to end the weekend as the storm system lifts across the Great Lakes, Elwell said.

FBI conducts investigation at Montgomery County apartment

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 10:04 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 10:39 PM

DAYTON -- (UPDATE @ 10:30 p.m.) The FBI conducted an investigation at an apartment in the 3800 block of Lakebend Drive. 

A man who identified himself as a security guard for the Northlake Hills Co-Op apartment complex said he was told not to allow our news crew near the address where the investigation is occurring. 

Todd Lindgren, spokesman with the Cincinnati FBI office, confirms only that the FBI has been at the address since late this afternoon.

“The FBI is conducting law enforcement activity in that area,” Lindgren said. He noted that he could not say anything about the focus of the investigation.

We’re told the Dayton police has had a one-unit detail at the address since just before 3 p.m.

A check of the Montgomery County auditor's online records indicates the address is part of the Northlake Hills complex. 

>>RELATED: ‘Substantial’ fentanyl operation busted by sheriff’s task force

The man and others working with him are turning traffic around on Lakebend Drive. There are people standing along Lakebend Drive, watching. 

WHIO.com received a phone call just after 9 p.m. about the FBI being on the property. 

At 10:30 p.m., an FBI agent asked our whio.com/News Center 7 first responder to leave the area.

We'll keep working to find out what's happening at the complex. 

Click here to download our free mobile apps for breaking news, news updates and weather

>>GOT A TIP? Call our 24-hour line, 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

WATCH: Do you recognize the people who set fire to this truck?

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 11:10 PM

DAYTON -- City arson investigators are hoping you can help them identify two people, recorded on video, who set fire to a truck about a week ago. 

The Dayton Fire Department recently was given the video that shows a man pouring gasoline all over a truck parked behind a home on Sheridan Avenue. 

Arson Investigator Bryan Adams told News Center 7's Natalie Jovonovich the pair appear to set fire to a piece of paper and then toss it into the truck. 

The suspects were believed to have come to the scene of the crime in a Chevy Astro minivan, he said, noting, "the owner doesn't recognize the individuals and is kind of unsure as to what prompted this." 

If you recognize the man and woman in the video or know anything about the incident you believe will help in the criminal investigation, you are asked to call Miami Valley Crime Stoppers at 222-STOP. 

>>RELATED: Dayton police make 2nd public appeal for help investigating fatal 2016 crash 

GOT A TIP? Call our 24-hour line, 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Dayton Schools renew contract for athletic director amid controversy

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 10:19 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 10:19 PM

Dayton’s school board approved a two-year contract renewal for district athletic director Mark Baker, in the wake of major state penalties imposed on Dayton Public Schools athletic programs.

The vote was 5-1, with board member Joe Lacey strongly objecting and Hazel Rountree absent. Baker declined comment after the vote.

Last fall, Dunbar’s football team used an ineligible player in two games, causing them to forfeit those games and be knocked out of the playoffs. The eligibility issue was missed by coaches, athletic directors and the principal.

WATCH: Video emerges of controversial play

RELATED: Dayton Schools react after reprimand, fine

But during the final game of the season, there was a back-and-forth debate over the star player’s eligibility. Once it was established, after he had already played, that he was ineligible, Dunbar officials told players to lose the game on purpose, believing they might still have an avenue to make the playoffs.

The Dunbar coaches said that directive came from Baker, but Baker denied it during subsequent investigations.

Lacey argued that DPS was not taking the issue of “throwing the game” seriously, calling it an unprecedented violation in Ohio high school sports, and saying the district appeared not to want to investigate it.

“It looked like there were attempts to not investigate the decision of this district to throw a game, to instruct students to cheat,” Lacey said. “The rallying around the people responsible for this really disgusts me.”

Board members Adil Baguirov, Robert Walker and Ron Lee argued that the focus should be on the new policies the district was putting in place to make sure this never happens again, saying it is time to look forward, rather than back.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association placed all DPS athletic programs on three years of probation, fined them $10,000 and ordered administrators to undergo training, citing the district for “a lack of administrative responsibility and institutional control.”