Man, girlfriend face new charges in Butler County shooting death

Published: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ 11:44 AM

A Cincinnati man and his girlfriend, taken into custody last week for the fatal shooting in St. Clair Twp., were arraigned Thursday in Butler County Common Pleas Court on new charges.

Keith D. Harris Jr., 27, and Diamond Reid, 18, who were arrested as they left a Hamilton County motel, now both face murder charges for the death of Trey Shepard on April 8, according to the indictment handed down by a grand jury.

MORE: Reward offered for arrest of Butler County murder suspect

Previously, Reid was charged with obstruction of justice. In addition to murder, she is now charged with aggravated robbery and felonious assault.

Harris is additionally charged with aggravated robbery, felonious assault and having weapons under disability.

Both told Judge Keith Spaeth they could not afford an attorney, and one was appointed for them. Spaeth set Reid’s bond at $500,000 and $1.25 million for Harris.

Also, another Cincinnati man and his girlfriend who detectives arrested in California after a fatal shooting in St. Clair Twp. are in route to Ohio to stand trial.

William D. Harris, 26, of Cincinnati, was arrested April 10 as he stepped off a bus in California with his girlfriend. Deputies issued a murder arrest warrant for Harris earlier this month along with a $5,000 reward for information leading to his whereabouts.

MORE: Butler County murder suspect found getting off bus in California

Thursday’s indictment also added aggravated robbery, felonious assault and having weapons under disability to the charges William Harris is facing.

His girlfriend Terrianoi Head, 23, of Cincinnati, is charged with obstruction of justice.

William and Keith Harris are not related, according to police.

The incident happened when an intruder entered an upper floor apartment of the Nelson Street residence and shot Shepard during a reported exchange of gunfire.

In a 911 call, a woman who lived in the apartment downstairs said people had been banging on their doors and broke out the sliding glass doors.

“Someone is breaking into the house upstairs from me,” the woman, who was holding her baby, told dispatchers. “I hear banging. She (the woman in the upstairs apartment) is crying. She is asking for help.”

The woman said her neighbor cried out that someone was shot outside.

Hospitals release at least 5 affected by chemical reaction at Vandalia factory

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 12:16 AM
Updated: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 9:03 PM

UPDATE @ 2:45 p.m.:

11 people were transported by medics to hospitals after a possible mixing of chemicals caused burning feelings to several employees of All-Service Plastic Molding, according to Vandalia Fire Chief Chad Follick. 

At least three other people were also injured but refused additional treatment, Follick said. 

LOCAL NEWS: DP&L is warning of new scams

Earlier, ASPM Vice President Dan Norris told News Center 7’s Lauren Clark materials “off-gassed” during a chemical process and caused workers to be affected by fumes. 

At least five of those affected have been released from hospitals.

UPDATE @ 11:15 a.m (June 28)

At least five people affected by a chemical reaction have been released from hospitals.

A 911 caller from the business said a possible mixing of chemicals caused “the chemicals to burn everybody’s eyes. It’s kind of burning my throat.”

A second 911 caller from the business said a material accidentally got mixed with acetone.

The company’s vice president told News Center 7’s Lauren Clark today that eight employees were affected.

The company said materials “off-gassed” during a chemical process which caused workers to be affected by fumes — reporting itchy eyes, headaches and respiratory issues.

Vice President Dan Norris said the company is conducting its own investigation.

UPDATE @ 1:25 a.m. (June 28)

An “adverse chemical reaction” sent 15 workers from  All-Service Plastic Molding to area hospitals, none suffering from life-threatening injuries, Vandalia Fire Chief Chad Follick said.

“When crews arrived, we found the building being evacuated,” Follick said. “We also found victims complaining of respiratory-type irritation -- eyes, some headaches.” 

LOCAL NEWS: Springboro leaders drove 2.5 hours to meet with Austin South developer

According to the preliminary investigation, he said, some materials they were working with “off-gassed” during a process in the plant and caused some noxious fumes resulting in the 15 people having to be taken to hospitals. 

LOCAL NEWS: Wanted Sidney man surrenders following SWAT standoff

“It’s not anything they could have prevented,” the chief said. “It just happened.” 

Fire crews ventilated the building and turned it over to company managers. Follick said he believes the second shift will run as it normally would. 

Company managers did their job and made the job of the fire/rescue crews easier, he said. 

The Dayton Regional Hazardous Materials Response Team was called and consulted, but did not respond because the HAZMAT official felt the fire crews had the situation well in hand, Follick said.

UPDATE @ 12:54 a.m.:   

As many as 15 victims have been taken to hospitals from the HAZMAT incident, according to an updated count from one of the fire chiefs on scene. 

UPDATE @ 12:23 a.m.:  

We're hearing there are at least eight victims who have been taken to various hospitals from the HAZMAT incident at All-Service Plastic Molding in Vandalia. 

Two have been taken to Miami Valley Hospital, two to Grandview Medical Center, three to Good Samaritan North Health Center and one to Huber Heights Health Center.

We’re hearing that acetal is the chemical workers at ASPM may have inhaled. 

According to ULprospector.com, a global independent safety science company, acetal is a thermoplastic. 

Acetal resins are among the strongest and stiffest of all thermoplastics and are available in fiber reinforced and lubricated molding grades as well as extruded shapes for machined parts.

INITIAL REPORT (June 27)

Fire/rescue crews are tending to several people who have fallen ill in a reported hazmat situation at a Vandalia business.

SEE: More news headlines

Crews from Vandalia, Huber Heights, Dayton and elsewhere were dispatched to All-Service Plastic Molding, 900 Falls Creek Drive, Tuesday night just before midnight on a report that workers there had inhaled acetone.

The business has been evacuated.

All-Service Plastic Molding, also known as ASPM, is a company that specializes in injection molding, according to its webpage.

It offers component assembly, pad printing, sonic welding and hot stamping services. 

The company serves the automotive, consumer, electrical, medical, telecommunications, and office and business equipment markets. 

All Service Plastic Molding has more than 25 presses that perform several molding procedures. 

According to chemicalsafetyfacts.org, acetone is a colorless liquid solvent used in manufacture of plastics and other industrial products. 

Acetone may also be used to a limited extent in household products, including cosmetics and personal care products, where its most frequent application would be in the formulation of nail polish removers.

We have a crew on the way. We will update this developing report as we get information.

GOT A TIP? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Brother guilty in fatal church shooting sentenced to life in prison

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 7:09 AM

The Dayton man who shot his brother to death in the church their father founded was sentenced Wednesday to 31 years to life in prison —but wasn't in court to hear the sentence.  

Daniel Schooler, 69, was “wallowing in his own fecal material” in jail and chose not to attend the sentencing, according to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Steven Dankof.  

Schooler was found guilty by a jury of killing Rev. William Schooler on Feb. 28, 2016, in an office of St. Peters Missionary Baptist Church by shooting him four times with a .380 caliber handgun.

RELATED: Dayton pastor’s wife: ‘He shot him again, right in front of me’

Daniel Schooler also was found guilty of a firearms specification, being a repeat violent offender and having weapons under disability. Dankof said all sentences will run consecutively. The defendant earned 487 days of jail-time credit.  

“We believe it to be appropriate for what he did in this case,” Montgomery County assistant prosecutor Lynda Dodd said. “This was a murder done by purpose, it was done to send a statement to his brother, it was done to send a statement to his church family.  

“He didn’t have to affect everybody’s life in this way. He chose to do that and now he’s going to serve the penalty.”

William Schooler, 70, was a decorated Vietnam veteran, Jefferson Twp. school principal and a Dayton Public Schools teacher and school board member.  

“We’re very saddened about the whole event,” said Patricia Wright, who added her message to her uncle Daniel would be one of love and prayer. “We’re glad that it’s coming to a closure. From this day forward, we will try to go forward with our family.”  

Joe Bozeman, a nephew to both the defendant and the victim, said, “This will definitely not divide us as family. It will bring us closer together.”

RELATED: Dayton man guilty in shooting death of brother in church office

Defense attorney Jay Carter said he was not able to see his client at the Montgomery County Jail before sentencing. Carter said he was told Daniel Schooler was being taken for medical care.

Dodd said during the hearing that the defendant didn’t want to leave his cell and that it was a “fecal-related” matter.

“He refused to come, and that is his right,” Dodd said after the hearing. “It doesn’t stop sentencing, and it doesn’t stop this case from getting to the resolution it deserved.”

RELATEDMurder suspect has history of violence, mental illness

Dankof said the maximum-possible sentence — much like Daniel Schooler’s killing of his brother in a church that was part of a family inheritance dispute — was largely symbolic because of his age and other factors. Carter said his client has possible terminal medical issues.  

“It’s a tragedy on both sides to the family,” Carter said. “It’s just an ending that doesn’t help or benefit anyone at this stage.”  

In moving on, Wright quoted her grandfather, Rev. Allen Schooler, saying, “Love ye, one another.”

Mechanical issue cause of Miamisburg water issue; boil advisory through Thursday

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 7:34 AM
Updated: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 2:00 PM

UPDATE @ 2 p.m. 

Officials said a multiple malfunctions caused a water tower to completely empty in Miamisburg Wednesday morning.

LOCAL NEWS: ‘Adverse chemical reaction’ at Vandalia business sends 15 to hospitals

Director of Public Works for the City of Miamisburg  Valerie Griffin said the source of the problem was a mechanical issue, when a water tower completely emptied sometime Wednesday morning. Griffin said a booster pump did not activate, and alarms that go directly to worker’s cell phones to warn of the low levels also did not activate. 

Griffin said the tower holds several hundred thousand gallons of water and is in the process of refilling. Crews expect the water tower will be completely filled sometime Wednesday night. 

The boil advisory will remain in effect through Thursday and might continue into Friday. 

Griffin said no contaminants have been found in the water supply, and a boil advisory is required by the Environmental Protection Agency in these situations. 

UPDATE @ 10:42 a.m.

An overnight mechanical failure has been pinpointed as the cause for water service disruption in Miamisburg, according to the city. Meanwhile, a water boil advisory has been issued as a result of a failure at a water booster station that impacted about 150 homes west of the Great Miami River, said Miamisburg Public Information Officer Gary Giles.

Giles said service has been restored, but said Miamisburg water customers may experience lower-than-normal water pressure and/or some cloudy water for the next few hours due to air in the lines.

For more information, call the Public Works Department at 937-847-6635.

UPDATE @ 9:45 a.m.

The city is looking into the water service disruption, said Gary Giles, Miamisburg public information officer. 

Some residents posted on Facebook that they noticed a water service outage about 2:30 a.m. while others discovered at 5 a.m. their service disruption of didn’t have any water service. 

By 9:30 a.m. service was restored, according to a Facebook post by Melissa Stockler, but the water pressure was low.

We’ll update this page as we learn more. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

FIRST REPORT

Several residents have reported they have no water or low water pressure in the city Wednesday morning. 

Emergency dispatchers received several phone calls about the issue. 

We are working to bring you more information on this developing story. 

High school referee, ex-con accused of child rape in Troy a ‘blue chip official’

Published: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 @ 1:49 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 5:00 PM

UPDATE @ 5 p.m. (June 28)

A former Ohio High School Athletic Association supervisor for Henry Lucas described him as a “blue chip official.”

Kevin Forrer, who heads the Greater Western Ohio Conference, spoke Wednesday in reaction to the charges against Lucas, 52, who is accused of a sex crime in March involving a juvenile in Troy. 

"He's one of the best officials in the area ... has been to state multiple times, which is voted on through a large panel process, not only by the coaches but by the athletic directors, the schools, the assigners and by a number of associations," Forrer said. 

Lucas is likable and good at his job, which is why he was so well respected as an official, he said.

"It has been very tough, this is a situation that you never want to see anyone involved in," Forrer said of the accusations against Lucas. "It's been very tough because I know all the parties involved." 

Once Forrer is made aware of an arrest or charges filed against one of the 1,000 officials he oversees, he is required to notify OHSAA, which he did, Forrer said. 

Officials typically are on the schedule between 18 months and 2 years out, and Lucas was on that long-term schedule. He has since been removed, said Forrer, who added that officials at sporting events are never alone with minors and that their interaction is typically in front of big crowds.

FIRST REPORT

A Troy man accused of raping a juvenile is no longer eligible to officiate after the Ohio High School Athletic Association suspended his license after his arrest earlier this month, an OHSAA spokesman said Tuesday. 

Henry Lucas Jr., 52, was arrested June 5 after he turned himself in to Troy police, according to an affidavit filed in Miami County Municipal Court. Lucas is charged with a felony count of rape, and he made an initial appearance in court June 6, where his bond was set at $400,000, according to court records. The victim is known to Lucas. 

OTHER NEWS: U.S. Marshals Service warns of phone scam circulating in Dayton area

Lucas’ license was previously suspended in 2011 after he was convicted on a felony drug charge and sentenced to prison in September 2010, the OHSAA said. 

The OHSAA initially approved Lucas’ officiating license in 2001, and he was listed as having an active license until Aug. 1, 2011, when the athletic association first suspended it, said Ben Ferree, assistant director of officiating and sport management for OHSAA. 

“We do not believe he was officiating after his September 2010 conviction,” Ferree said. 

MORE NEWS: Services set for Bellbrook teen who drowned in Little Miami River

On Sept. 2, 2010, Lucas was convicted for using deception to obtain an illegal drug and was sentenced to a year in the London Correctional Institution, according to court records. 

Lucas was released from prison on Aug. 26, 2011, according to a spokesperson for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction. 

Ferree said Lucas, who officiated football and basketball, appealed the suspension of his license following his drug conviction. 

According to the OHSAA handbook for officials, an officiating permit will not be issued or reinstated for anyone convicted in regard to any felony offense unless/until such offense has been reversed by proper authority. 

Ferree said, “People with convictions on their record that would be denied per the Handbook can appeal to obtain a license.” 

OTHER NEWS: Pike County Sheriff issues alert about criminal gang, heroin

Lucas’ permit was reinstated in October 2012 based on an appeal to the OHSAA board of directors, Ferree said. “The board approved his appeal based on multiple letters of recommendation from school personnel and community members in the Dayton area.” 

This news organization inquired about the letters of recommendations OHSAA said they received, however, Ferree said, “I do not have copies in his file.” OHSAA also said they don’t share personnel files of officials. 

“Additionally, everyone in the officiating department from that time has since retired. Since 2012 we have a new Director of Officiating, and all new support staff for that department. We do not know where the letters came from as we have never seen them personally,” Ferree said in an email to reporter Sean Cudahy. 

Lucas waived a preliminary hearing June 17 for the incident alleged to have happened in March. The case will be reviewed by a Miami County grand jury, according to court records. 

The 52-year-old remained in the Miami County Jail Tuesday morning on a $400,000 bond. 

A call to his lawyer seeking comments has not been returned.