Judge cites public safety in serial peeper's bond

Published: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 @ 3:29 PM
Updated: Thursday, September 28, 2017 @ 8:31 AM

Serial peeper in Montgomery County

UPDATE @ 3:25 p.m.:

A judge set Harold Rimblert III’s bond at $50,000 during his initial appearance in Dayton Municipal Court this afternoon citing community safety during the hearing.

Rimblert had a not guilty plea entered on his behalf.

INITIAL REPORT:

A registered sex-offender convicted on voyeurism charges at least six times in the past is back at it again after he’s suspected of peeping on women in bathrooms in Kettering and Dayton, according to Kettering and Montgomery County Sheriff’s detectives.

Harold Rimblert III, 34, is suspected of looking under a women’s restroom stall at the Montgomery County Administration Building last week. He’s scheduled in court Thursday afternoon for voyeurism and criminal trespassing charges in that case following his arrest Wednesday evening at his home on Burgess Avenue, according to court records.

RELATED: Repeat offender, voyeurism suspect pleads not guilty

According to a county incident report, Rimblert is suspected of peeping under a women's bathroom stall on the sixth floor of the Montgomery County administration building, 451 W. Third St., last Friday, according to a Montgomery County Sheriff's Office report. 

According to the report, the female victim told deputies a man stuck his head and shoulders under the bathroom stall.  The woman said, “she immediately got up, pulled up her pants and ran out of the stall screaming,” the report read.

After reviewing surveillance video, deputies were able to identify Rimblert as a possible suspect in the case, according to the report.

Rimblert also is scheduled for a change of plea hearing Friday in a case, where he's accused of looking under bathroom stalls at women at the Christ United Methodist Church in Kettering.

Rimblert faces two counts of voyeurism is Kettering Municipal Court in connection to the case at the church, 3440 Shroyer Road. 

On Aug. 3, he was accused of "looking under bathroom stalls as women were using the restroom" and two victims were identified in that case, according to court records. 

Rimblert, a tier III sex offender, has at least six previous voyeurism convictions since 2008, according to state records. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Restaurant fire causes road closure in Dayton

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 4:58 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 5:16 AM

A neon sign caught fire outside of the restaurant at 865 North Main Street around 3:30 a.m., according to our first responder.

UPDATE @ 6:15 a.m.:

Crews are no longer at the scene of North Main Street at Miami Boulevard, according to regional dispatch.

INITIAL REPORT:

North Main Street at Miami Boulevard are closed after a small fire at Quincy’s Saturday.

>>Male, 17, arrested in death of Dayton mother shot in front of children

A neon sign caught fire outside of the restaurant at 865 North Main Street around 3:30 a.m., according to our first responder.

The road was closed as of 4:40 a.m. but crews were working on clearing the scene, according to a Dayton fire chief. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

3 things to know about Dayton, Wright-Patt and drinking water

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 10:03 AM

Dayton confronts two Mad River well field sites that face contamination threats from contaminants in firefighting foam. One is at the city’s fire training facility site off Springfield Street shown here, and the other is Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, city officials say. The Mad River, right, flows past the Dayton fire training facility. TY GREENLEES / STAFF
Dayton confronts two Mad River well field sites that face contamination threats from contaminants in firefighting foam. One is at the city’s fire training facility site off Springfield Street shown here, and the other is Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, city officials say. The Mad River, right, flows past the Dayton fire training facility. TY GREENLEES / STAFF

Dayton city leaders said this week they’re concerned about two potential threats to well fields along the Mad River from firefighting foam contaminants.

One potential source of contamination is at the city’s firefighting training center on McFadden near the Tait’s Hill well field. The other potential source of contamination is from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where a tainted groundwater plume was believed to be approaching production wells at Huffman Dam, city and state officials say.

The contaminant is known as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS.

The city shut down both well fields over the past two years as a precaution, Dayton officials said. The two well fields stand about three miles apart.

RELATED: Dayton urges communities to push Wright-Patt for action on water

State and city officials say the water is safe and the contaminant has not been found in finished product to consumers.

Here’s a look at key developments this week:

1. The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and Wright-Patterson officials say they did not know of the firefighting training center concerns until recent days. Among other actions, the state EPA this week directed Dayton to test treated water at its Ottawa treatment plant near the Mad River monthly for the contaminant beginning March 31, and to determine the source of the contamination. Late last year, the city detected PFAS at less than 10 parts per trillion in a raw water intake at the plant, officials said. The U.S. EPA has a health advisory threshold of 70 parts per trillion for lifetime exposure to drinking water.

RELATED: Dayton: Contaminated sites could pose risk to Mad River well fields

2. Dayton asked area city managers this month to co-sign a letter urging Wright-Patterson and the Air Force to act more quickly to resolve concerns a groundwater contamination plume could reach the Huffman Dam well field. The response to the city request thus far has been mixed.

RELATED: Dayton demands Wright-Patt act on water concerns

3. Dayton, Ohio EPA, and Wright-Patterson authorities most recently met this week in ongoing talks about how to handle groundwater contamination concern.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Flood watch for entire Miami Valley

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 5:32 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 6:49 AM

A flood watch will be in effect for all counties until 10 a.m. Sunday. Rain develops and may be heavy at times, especially toward the evening. A few thunderstorms are possible in the evening and overnight. Isolated damaging winds and flooding will be the main threat tonight. Rainfall amounts of 1 inch to 3 inches will be possible by Sunday morning. Temperatures will rise into the lower to middle 50s into the evening, then will fall late tonight as a cold front passes.

>>Weekend to bring more rain, threat for strong storms

  • Rain at times for Saturday
  • Some strong to severe storms possible Saturday night
  • Main threat for isolated damaging winds and flooding
  • Additional 1 inch to 3 inches of rain possible 

TOMORROW: Any rain early will end quickly then clouds linger. Flooding still possible as rivers and streams continue to rise. Highs will be in the lower 50s and it will be windy at times. There will be gradually decreasing clouds through the night and chilly with temperatures falling into the lower 30s. Watch for isolated slick spots late with any leftover standing water. 

MONDAY: There will be a lot of sunshine and mild with highs in the lower 50s.

TUESDAY: There will be mostly sunny skies with mild temperatures in the upper 50s.

WEDNESDAY: Clouds return with the chance for showers. Highs will top out near 60 degrees.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ohio investigators test evidence from 14,000 backlogged rape kits

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2018 @ 4:13 AM

Ohio investigators working to test evidence from 14,000 backlogged rape kits

Nearly 14,000 rape kits were tested by the State Crime Lab after State investigators proposed they would seven years ago.

>>Weekend to bring more rain, threat for strong storms

The kits provided thousands of pieces of evidence that could lead to suspects but it was difficult to keep up with them all, state leaders said.

New rules went into place in reviewing the kits for evidence to ensure a backlog like this doesn’t happen again, according to state leaders.

>>Missing 13-year-old boy found dead near Ohio home

“When agencies submit kits without delay, suspects can be identified faster, taken off the streets sooner and future attacks prevented,” Attorney General Mike DeWine said.

Almost 370 rape kits from Springfield that pointed to possible suspects in 135 cases were once a part of the backlog.

Trending - Most Read Stories