See the gravesites of these Dayton dames involved in the city’s most gruesome murders 

Published: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 @ 10:43 AM

Woodland Cemetery, one of the nation's oldest garden cemeteries, is marking its 175th year.

What better place for a spooky good time during Halloween than a cemetery?

Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum, located at 118 Woodland Ave., Dayton, just released an app that makes it easier to visit the 109,000 people buried there since it opened in 1841. 

The free “Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum” mobile app is available for Apple and Android devices. 

>> HISTORICAL CRIMES:  This former cop committed one of Dayton's most notorious crimes of passion — and you decide his fate

Lookout Tower at Woodland Cemetery - known as one of Dayton’s most haunted sites - as photographed in 1898. ARCHIVED PHOTOS(Staff Writer)

Users can search by name: first, last or both. They can also take a pre-designed tour. Thus far, only Woodland’s 45-minute self-guided historical tour has been added.

Angie Hoschouer, the cemetery’s development and marketing manager, said self-guided versions of several other tours, including those featured on the sold-out and extremely popular History, Mystery, Mayhem and Murder Tour, will be added as well. Those featured on the tour can be found on the app. 

Homicide victim Bessie Little. Little was 23, nearly three years older than Albert Frantz, when the two met. Her body was found in the Stillwater River and closer examination revealed two bullet wounds in her left ear. ARTICLE: Dayton’s Ridge Avenue Bridge has haunted history as site of notorious 19th century murder

Below are four bone-chilling gravesites you should visit. Details on the gravesites and individuals buried there is from Woodland Cemetery, Dayton History Online and the Dayton Daily News archive. 


Deceased: Christina Kett

Section 100 | Lot 2179 | Tier 3 | Grave 13 

Death: March 9, 1884 at age 65 

The mystery of who killed pretty 18-year-old Christine Kett Jun. 11, 1867 lingered for 17 years. 

Suspects had included Christine’s brother, a neighborhood teenager, a stranger seen in the area when the murder was committed, her boyfriend and even her own mother, Christina. 

A deathbed murder confession revealed the truth. 

Before taking her final breath, Christina Kett told her son that she bludgeoned Christine in the head with a short-handed axe when the young woman did not come home on time to make dinner. 

In an attempt to cover what was considered the city’s “most horrible and fiendish” crime at time, Kett place her daughter’s fingers in the powder flask of her son’s revolver and smeared the Christine’s face with powder. 

She reportedly told her son that that the young woman’s image haunted her from that day forward. 

>> RELATED: What you need to know about the Queen of Dayton's Red Light District


Deceased: Maggie Lehman

 City Lot | Lot #1 | Tier 20 | Grave 18

Death: Sept. 19, 1891 at age 36

The blue-eyed and blond “lady of the night” had four children and made a vow to turn her life around after they were taken away and placed in the Children’s Home. 

Jacob Harvey, the pimp and boyfriend Maggie had met in the brothel formerly owned by famed Dayton madam Lib Hedges, was having none of this. 

He abused Maggie, and was sent to the Dayton Workhouse for 60 days. 

Maggie eventually got her children back, but Jacob would not go away -- even after Maggie claimed to have a new boyfriend, Newton Chubb, a bartender at the brothel which by then was called “the Abbey.”   

Jacob beat Maggie again when she refused to leave Newton and date him again. He was sentenced again to the workhouse. 

While in jail, Jacob told officers and other prisoners he would escape and kill Maggie and her new boyfriend. 

They laughed, but he did just that. 

Jacob escaped and left the area, only to come back to town to find Maggie at the Abbey. 

He was seen dragging the woman from the brothel’s porch and shot her behind the ear with a revolver, according to Woodland’s description of the crime. 

After the shooting,  Jacob walked to the Point saloon and asked the owner, Al Bloch, for a glass of beer. Then, living a cigar, he remarked, “I just killed a damned bitch down there. I shot her twice.” Harvey then went on to relate the rest of the particulars of the crime to the astounded barkeeper.  

Jacob Harvey was hung on June 28, 1892. 

>> MORE: 5 of Dayton's most shocking murders


The old Ridge Avenue Bridge where Bessie Little was murdered as it appeared around 1910. It was replaced by the current bridge in 1927, which will soon be demolished. ARTICLE: Dayton’s Ridge Avenue Bridge has haunted history as site of notorious 19th century murder

Deceased: Bessie Little

Section 111 |  Lot #3009 | Tier 3 | Grave 15

Death: Sept. 2, 1896 at age 23

Albert J. Frantz was accused of shooting his pregnant lover Bessie Little on the Ridge Avenue Bridge on Aug. 27, 1896, and trying to pass her death off as a suicide.

Bessie's decomposed body was found floating in the Stillwater River. Prosecutors argued that Albert murdered the 23-year-old because he did not want to marry her. 

According to a piece titled “The Story of the Bessie Little Bridge” by former Dayton Daily News columnist and local historian Roz Young, then-Dayton Chief Farrell “testified at the preliminary hearing that Frantz told him he had taken Bessie for a ride in his rig and that as they approached the bridge, she shot herself twice in the head. He panicked when he realized he might be blamed for her death and threw her body into the river.” 

Prosecutors said the first bullet killed Bessie, so there was no way she could have shot herself that second time in the head. 

Her head was brought into the courtroom on the second day of the trial causing many to faint. Coroner Lee Corbin removed it from the jar it was stored in to show jurors the path of the bullets. 

The jury didn’t believe the whole "she shot herself twice in the right ear" defense. They found Albert guilty after six days and more than 100 witnesses. He professed his innocence until the day he was executed by the state on Nov. 19, 1897. Albert was only the fourth man in Ohio history to meet death in the electric chair after the current was turned on and off five times. He could be heard groaning after each turn. Disowned by her adopted family due to her pregnancy, Bessie was at first buried in Potter’s Field. 

The family had the body moved to Woodland Cemetery shortly after Albert’s execution. 

Bessie’s ghost is said to haunt the Ridge Avenue Bridge, which is nicknamed the Bessie Little Bridge. The bridge she died on was replaced in 1927. That bridge was demolished in 2014 as part of a $5.2 million Ridge Avenue Bridge project. A new bridge took its place. 

>> HISTORICAL CRIMES: This Dayton landlady helped nab infamous bank robber John Dillinger 


Deceased: Mary Knight 

Dayton State Hospital Section 

Death: 1940 

Last year, Dayton History staged a re-enactment of Mary Knight’s 1895 murder trial.

Mary would not win the world’s greatest daughter award. This only child with an “appetite for strong drink” was tried for the bloody death of her mother Catherine “Grandmother Hark” Hark.

The supposed murder weapon: the cross-piece of a stove top covered in hair and blood.

Mary moved into her mother’s cottage on North Urbana Street after she and her husband had a violent fight. The women fought often due to Mary’s drinking, and neighbors often walked into the house to try to make peace between them. 

Screams broke out the morning of May 10, 1895, and neighbors debated in their front yards if they should call police. 

Mary walked out of the house and stumbled down the street. Neighbors assumed she was “drunk again,” and went back into their own homes. 

A short time later, a man spotted Mary standing on the porch looking into the window. 

“Horrible! Horrible! Look,” she screamed, according to Woodland’s account. 

Mary denied killing her mother, but was convicted on what the judge called “circumstantial evidence.”

She received just a year in prison, and many in Dayton doubted her guilt. 

3 things you didn’t know about Graeter’s, the Ohio ice cream-maker since 1868

Published: Thursday, November 23, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

The Cincinnati ice cream maker Grater's started in 1868 and is now run by the fourth generation.

Louis Graeter began selling ice cream at neighborhood street markets when he moved to the Cincinnati in 1868, and thus began the Graeter’s brand.

Graeter’s has been known for (among other things) its massive chocolate chips.

>> RELATED: 7 great places to get frozen treats in Dayton

Here are three other things to know about the Cincinnati-based ice cream franchise.

1. French pot method. Under the operation of the fourth generation of the Graeter family, Graeter’s egg custard-based ice cream is made the same way Louis did in the 1800s. All ingredients are pasteurized, cooked and combined in a flavor vat and then frozen in 2.5 gallon batches in French Pot freezers.

>> UberEATS: 9 restaurants (inclduing Graeter’s) you can order from through delivery service

Graeter’s now is the only commercial ice cream manufacture anywhere in the world to use the French Pot method and its batches are the smallest in the industry. The original plant in Mount Auburn had only four pots, while the current facility in Bond Hill has 36 French Pots running day and night to keep up with the demand.

>> HISTORY: 5 things to know about Dayton’s oldest pizza chain

2. Packed by hand. The ice cream is too thick to pump into pint containers as is common, so Graeter’s does it the old fashioned way – by hand. On a typical day, the company hand-packs nearly 20,000 pints with its fastest packers averaging up to 15 pints a minute.

>> RELATED: Graeter’s Ice Cream, brewery to release Black Raspberry Chocolate Stout

3. Sneaky addition. Louis Graeter’s son, Wilmer, snuck some chocolate from his mother and poured it into a pot of frozen ice cream, inventing Graeter’s chocolate chunks. The chunks are created from melted chocolate mixed with a small amount of vegetable oil and added into a spinning pot when the ice cream is almost completely frozen. It spins for a few minutes to harden into a shell and then is scraped off by hand with a paddle into the ice cream, creating different sized chunks.

>> 2 more things to know on MyDaytonDailyNews <<

What you need to know about these 3 big Civil War monuments in Dayton

Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

The latest sculpture in Dayton has been unveiled. Numerous monuments to notable figures are cast throughout the city.

As the war soldiers on in the South over what to do with memorials to Confederate generals and soldiers, we are reminded that Dayton has its own towering monuments. 

None, however, pay tribute to those who died in service to the Confederacy. 

>> Confederate marker in nearby Warren County won’t be removed, official says

Ohio History Connection, a nonprofit formed in 1885 as the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, says 310,654 Ohioans served as part of the Union Army in the Civil War.

>> 7 somber military monuments that stand over the region

That was the third largest number of soldiers from any Union state.

More than 35,000 Ohioans died fighting the war, the organization’s website says.

Here are three Dayton-area memorials that remind us of their efforts. 

>> Why there are more Confederate monuments in Ohio than you’d think


The Civil War Soldiers Monument was relocated in 1948. “As it reached the ground, the 9 1/2 ft. statue was literally mobbed,” reported the Dayton Daily News. “The intersection of Main Street and Monument Avenue was one mass of people, all striving to get in close for a look or a picture.” DAYTON DAILY NEWS ARCHIVE

More than 100,000 people watched Montgomery Country dedicate the Union Soldiers’ Monument on Main Street on July 31, 1884. 

The ceremony came less than two decades after the end of the Civil War. 

Its model was Pvt. George Washington Fair, a Dayton-born carpenter and bricklayer who mustered into the Union Army in 1861 and out in 1865.

>> How Dayton’s giant Main Street monument faced twists and turns to land there

The marble monument was moved to Sunrise Park on Riverview Avenue in 1948 and returned to Main Street in 1991.

It was damaged by the elements and replaced in bronze form. The original statue of Private Fair is now located under a portico at the VA Hospital.

>> 5 memorials that honor veterans in the region

The Civil War Soldiers Monument was carved in the likeness of Pvt. Fair, a carpenter and bricklayer born in Dayton who mustered into the Union Army in 1861 and out in 1865. DAYTON DAILY NEWS ARCHIVE
The symbol to the Civil War stood at the intersection of Main and Water Streets until 1948 when it was relocated to alleviate traffic congestion. DAYTON DAILY NEWS ARCHIVE(Staff Writer)

This Civil War Soldiers Monument is located on Main Street in downtown Dayton and includes a bronze reproduction of originally marble sculpted Pvt. Geroge Washington Fair. TY GREENLEES / STAFF(Ty Greenlees)


The statue of President Abraham Lincoln is lifted into place on Courthouse Square in Downtown Dayton Monday night. (Regina Payne/Staff)

A beardless scultpture of slain U.S. President Abraham Lincoln that transformed Courthouse Square was unveiled Saturday Sept. 17, 2016. 

>> When Lincoln’s  sculpture was unveiled on Courthouse Square

The 11-foot-tall bronze tribute commissioned by the Lincoln Society of Dayton shows Lincoln before his election as the nation’s first Republican president. It commemorates his speech in Dayton on the steps of the Old Court House on Sept. 17, 1859 as part of his tour of Ohio.

The speeches Lincoln gave laid out his arguments against slavery and are credited with helping him win his party’s presidential nomination. 

Elected in 1960, Lincoln was president during the Civil War over slavery and states’ rights. 

John Wikes Booth assassinated Lincoln on April 15, 1865 in Washington D.C.’s Ford Theatre.  

Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered his army just five days before Lincoln’s murder, ending the Civil War.  

Sculptor Michael Major of Urbana created this bronze sculpture of President Abraham Lincoln as he looked in 1859 when he spoke on the steps of Montgomery County’s Old Court House. The sculpture was unveiled Saturday at Courthouse Square in front of the historic courthouse downtown Dayton. LYNN HULSEY / STAFF(Staff Writer)


President Lincoln appointed Martin Delany field rank major in 1865. He was the highest-ranking African American officer in the Civil War and the only one to attain his rank. He is buried in Wilberforce.(Lisa Powell)

Martin Robison Delany was inducted into the Dayton Region’s Walk of Fame on Sept. 22, 2016. 

President Lincoln appointed Delany field rank major in 1865. He was the highest-ranking African-American officer in the Civil War and the only one to attain his rank.

>> Civil War hero among those to be added to Dayton Walk of Fame

The Hall of Fame is in Dayton’s Wright-Dunbar neighborhood. 
>> Neighborhood Guide: Wright-Dunbar 

Delany was born in Charles Town, Virginia in 1812 and died January 24, 1885 in Xenia. Delany, an abolitionist, physician, and editor in the pre-Civil War period, advocated black people emigrating out of the country to achieve equality.

President Lincoln appointed Martin Delany field rank major in 1865. He was the highest-ranking African American officer in the Civil War and the only one to attain his rank. He is buried in Wilberforce.(Gettysburg National Military Park Museum)

In his time, he had been both a Democrat and Republican. 

His papers were destroyed in a fire at Wilberforce University on April 14, 1865, according to the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities Encyclopedia Virgina, “leaving scholars forever to wonder which of his writings they haven't read and what other directions his mind might have taken him.

>> Wading in the Water: Black History in the Miami Valley 1798 to 2001

A friend of abolitionist Frederick Douglass, Delany’s gravesite can be found at Massies Creek Cemetery near Wilberforce, where he practiced medicine until his death on January 24, 1885. 

A newer monument to Delany was erected near the Civil War-era tombstone that misspelled his last name.

A marker was installed near the PPG Place complex in downtown Pittsburgh in 1991, recognizing Delany’s historical importance. 

>> Where to find military monuments in the Dayton area

We show you a few of the many Veterans Memorials across the Miami Valley

‘She is a very strong woman’: Wife of prominent Dayton civil rights activist celebrates 100th birthday

Published: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 @ 6:00 AM
Updated: Thursday, August 10, 2017 @ 1:15 PM

W.S. McIntosh at a birthday celebration with his son, J.W. McIntosh and wife,  Charlene McIntosh.
W.S. McIntosh at a birthday celebration with his son, J.W. McIntosh and wife, Charlene McIntosh.

Charline McIntosh did more than stand by her man. 

The Dayton woman — a transplant from Little Rock, Ark. like her larger-than-life husband — knows a lot about the turmoil and heartache that often came with being married to a passionate, fearless man committed to civil rights in the 50s and 60s.

>> LASTING SCARS: The 1966 west Dayton riot

Even before W.S. McIntosh died trying to stop a robbery attempt, Tynnetta McIntosh said her grandmother faced a long list of adversity that included her home being set ablaze after her husband tried to calm tensions during the 1966 West Dayton riots. 

J.W. McIntosh, Tynnetta’s father and W.S. and Charline’s only child, was so shunned due to his father’s work that he gave way his belongings to win friends.

>> MORE: Dayton’s civil rights pioneer arrested for protesting hiring practices

W.S. McIntosh in a photo dated 1961 by George Adams, Journal Herald.

Not even every black Daytonian in 1950s and 1960s wanted W.S. McIntosh to rock the boat, Elba McIntosh, Tynnetta’s mother and the ex-wife of the late J.W. McIntosh, recalled.  

She guessed that Charline would have loved an easier life. 

“A lot of people didn’t appreciate it (the push for civil rights) and felt a little uncomfortable about it,” Elba said. “The fact is that she stuck by him through it.” 

Charline (sometimes spelled Charlene) McIntosh’s 100 birthday was celebrated on Sunday, August 6, 2017 at Genesis HealthCare at the Forest View Center in Trotwood.

Trotwood Mayor Mary A. McDonald read a proclamation honoring McIntosh, a former real estate agent, on her birthday.

Photo dated Oct. 27, 1967 captioned: W.S. McIntosh and his son and Daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. J. WQ. McIntosh, wait outside Criminal Court. They pleaded not guilty to varying charges and were released on their own recognizance. Staff Photos by Phil Greer."

Jessie O. Gooding, a former president of Dayton’s NAACP, former Dayton Mayor Rhine McLin, Dayton City Commissioner Chris Shaw and State Senator Peggy Lehner were among those thanked as part of the program. 

Tynnetta McIntosh called her grandmother the loving backbone of the family and of her grandfather’s civil rights work.

“She really sort of organized in the background. W.S. was the public face,” Tynnetta said. “I think she is probably an unsung hero.”

>> Part 1: Wading in the Water| Black History in the Miami Valley 1798 to 2001

Photo of Charlene McIntosh, W.S. McIntosh’s widow, in a Dayton park named in her husband's honor. She stands with her granddaughter, Tynnetta Mcintosh.

The McIntosh name is celebrated in the Dayton area despite of the sorrow it suffered. 

In recognition of his work, the Dayton City Commission renamed Riverview Park the W.S. McIntosh Park in 1996.

The W. S. McIntosh Memorial Leadership Award at the University of Dayton is awarded annually to Dayton minority students to cover tuition and other costs.

As a child, Tynnetta McIntosh, now JPMorgan Chase’s New York-based director of corporate internal communications, said she remembers her grandfather being stopped on the street by admirers and getting into heated debates about the plight of Dayton’s black residents. 

The caption of this photo dated Dec. 22 read: "(W.S.) McIntosh plays Santa for granddaughter Tunnetta (actually Tynnetta) (R). Girl on the left is Denise Killingsworth_ Photo by Steinbrunner. The headline read: "No Racial Overtones."

“I grew up knowing he was active and he focused on making sure black people had the same opportunity as everyone else,” she said. 

Still, she did not fully grasp the depth of her grandfather’s  work or her grandmother’s sacrifice until she started cleaning out her grandmother’s Thistle Drive home to move her to the nursing home a three years ago. 

“She kept everything,” Tynnetta said.

Article about W.S. McIntosh featuring the Dayton civil rights leaders widow Charline McIntosh.

She found everything from notes her grandmother took as secretary of CORE (Congress of Racial Equality) — her grandfather was the group’s executive director — to a recording of a song wrote in her grandfather’s honor.

Many of the McIntosh documents have been give to Dayton History at Carillon Historical Park. 

File W.S. McIntosh picketing at Lincoln Field Saving and Loan June 26, 1964. Photo by Ron Manson.

Having a grandfather involved in helping open up opportunities for blacks in Dayton had an impact on Tynnetta’s life. 

>> PHOTOS: Dayton civil rights leader W.S. McIntosh and his family

She is involved in arts organizations that focus on diversity like the Sphinx Organization. 

“They never really had much, but it shows that one person can make a difference,” Tynetta said. “I do my best to make them proud of me.”


May 1969 photo captioned: "W.S. McIntosh at the start of the march to Good Sam. "Photo: Roberts.

Labeled a troublemaker by some and investigated as a communist in 1952 by the Ohio Un-American Activities Committee, the man born Walter Sumpter McIntosh and known to many as “Mac” established the West Side Citizens Council in 1955 and used it to protest discriminatory hiring practices in West Dayton markets and banks.

Charline McIntosh (center) with her granddaughter, Tynnetta McIntosh and former daughter-in-law Elba McIntosh

>> MORE: 7 black leaders who changed Dayton’s history

McIntosh rallied against clothing stores and and the A&P grocery on West Third Street for their hiring practices.

As executive director of Dayton’s CORE (Congress of Racial Equality) chapter and a business owner, McIntosh helped organize the 1963 picket against Rike-Kumler Co. to get blacks better jobs in the downtown store.

After protests and boycotts, Rike’s and other downtown stores began hiring blacks as clerks and salespeople.

Photo dated Aug. 5, 1965 captioned "Sumpter McIntosh (R) gathers the people (about 50) in front of the Municipal building at Third and Ludlow streets after the commission meeting was over. Staff photo by Bill Koehler. The following sentence appeared n the paper: W.S. McIntosh with pickets at Municipal Building. When they got there, commission room as bare.

>> MORE: Rally, march to remember ‘Dayton’s Martin Luther King


Along with their son J.W. and daughter-in-law Elba, the McIntoshs opened the House of Knowledge, an afrocentric gift and book shop, in the Westown Shopping Center in 1967. 

A House of Knowledge store later opened on South Main Street, making it the first black-owned business downtown, said Elba, a St. Thomas, Virgin Island-born University of Dayton graduate.

Elba said her father-in-law and husband were arrested on open day for disturbing the peace after they played a Malcolm X speech.   

W.S. McIntosh is rushed to a Dayton Fire Department ambulance after he was shot down trying to stop two robbery suspects on the sidewalk, west said of South Main Street between Third and Fourth streets on March 5, 1974. (note: fire department did not have paramedics at the that time)

On March 4, 1974,  McIntosh was killed in front of neighboring Green Jewelry Co. as he stood in the way of robbers fleeing Harry Potasky Jewelers, 42 S. Main St. 

Then 16-year-old Derek Farmer and his 18-year-old nephew Calvin Farmer had pistol-whipped the store’s 81-year-old owner Harry Potasky during the robbery attempt.

>>  Part 2: Wading in the Water| Black History in the Miami Valley 1798 to 2001

Later that day, Dayton police Sgt. William K. Mortimer was killed in the Dunbar Manor housing complex trying to arrest the suspects. Mortimer saved two children who were in the line of fire.

Interviewed in 2014, Charline said her husband was passionate about his beliefs. 

Her family said that at 100, she no longer hears well enough to be interviewed, but has a strong mind. 

Drawing of Dayton civil rights leader W.S. McIntosh.

“He was trying to help people,” she said in that brief 2014 interview. 

Elba now calls San Francisco home but was in Dayton for the party for Charline, who is called Boo Boo by family members.

Elba said her father-in-law was entrenched in civil rights and that made a huge impact on her life. 

She recalled how H. Rap Brown, chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in the 1960s, was hiding from police in the basement of the Riverview Avenue home the family shared.  

>> Daytonian of the Week: Keila Hall of Black Lives Matter

Elba grew a huge afro, much to the chagrin of her own father in predominantly black Saint Thomas, where race relations were much different than in the U.S. 

Elba McIntosh divorced J.W. when her daughter was 10 and her son Damien was just 2. She raised the children in St. Thomas, but they often visit Dayton. 

Photo of Charlene McIntosh, W.S. McIntosh’s widow, and her granddaughter, Tynnetta Mcintosh.

Elba said civil rights was more of .W.S’ passion, but it was Charline’s support that helped him push through and accomplish his goals.  

“She is a very strong woman. As you can see, she is still around,” Elba said.  

Poster made for Charline McIntosh's 100 birthday. She is the wife of Dayton civil rights leader W.S. McIntosh.

5 things you didn’t know about Gov. James M. Cox’s Dayton mansion

Published: Monday, July 31, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

James M. Cox is the last Ohio governor from the Miami Valley.

If you’ve lived in the Dayton area for a while, you’re probably familiar with Governor James M. Cox.

His purchase of a newspaper, now the Dayton Daily News, eventually launched Cox Enterprises. Needless to say, his Dayton legacy runs deep.

>> Whatever happened to WHIO’s famous tower?

Trailsend, the estate of Gov. James M. Cox, is a 15,000 square foot mansion that sits on five acres and includes two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool. PHOTO / Tom Gilliam(Tom Gilliam)

Gov. Cox’s estate, a sprawling mansion and grounds known as Trailsend, is at 3500 Governors Trail Road in Kettering. 

Built in 1916 and 1917, it was designed by New York architect Oswald Hering in the French Renaissance architectural style with inspiration from the Petit Trianon at Versailles.

>> PHOTOS: See the inside of Gov. James M. Cox’s jaw-dropping estate

"The residence is of the purest type of French architecture, the designer, Oswald Hering, of New York, having in mind the Petite Trianon at Versailles,” Cox wrote in his memoir, “Journey Through My Years.” 

>> Five fun facts about Governor James M. Cox 

Here are some things to know about the Ohio governor’s former home.  

1.) LUXE

The 15,000 square foot home sits on five acres and includes six bedrooms/bathrooms, two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool located in the basement.

>> WATCH: Remember when this Dayton building was blown up?

Trailsend, the estate of Gov. James M. Cox, is a 15,000 square foot mansion that sits on five acres and includes two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool. PHOTO / Tom Gilliam(Tom Gilliam)


Cox planned his 1920 presidential campaign with running mate and future 32nd President of the United States Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) at Trailsend. FDR visited the Governor at Trailsend as President during his final visit to Dayton in 1940. 

>> Where is the last fragment of NCR’s famed underground Dayton tunnel system?

Trailsend, the estate of Gov. James M. Cox, is a 15,000 square foot mansion that sits on five acres and includes two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool. PHOTO / Tom Gilliam(Tom Gilliam)


In Cox’s own words, from his memoir: "A vast assemblage made up from different sections of our state came to my home at Trailsend, in the country five miles from the center of Dayton. When they gathered together in a great natural bowl which the glaciers had carved, a moraine formation, it made a picture difficult to describe. Many inquired whence came the name 'Trailsend.' I have often been asked that question. In my travels through the country I have encountered it only in Wyoming. Senator Kendrick christened his home there with the same name. When I was campaigning in his state, he told me why. He had ridden horseback from Texas to his new habitat. It was the end of the trail with him. The genesis of my Trailsend was in some sense the same. Maps of the buffalo trails which the Indians followed show one which winds westward in its serpentine course from Hocking County and ends where I built my residence. Its terminus curls into an almost complete circle."

>> River Run opening pushes more change in heart of Dayton

Trailsend, the estate of Gov. James M. Cox, is a 15,000 square foot mansion that sits on five acres and includes two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool. PHOTO / Tom Gilliam(Tom Gilliam)


"Tradition has it that this spot overlooking the great Miami Valley was a famous camping place for the Indians. Here they gathered after the hunt and perhaps after their battles as well. I was much too American to give my home a foreign name. Reflecting many times upon the pleasure that must have come to the red man at this end of the trail, and being certain, too, that I would live my life out there, I gave the name 'Trailsend' to the place where I have lived for almost thirty years," wrote Cox, in “Journey Through My Years.”  

>> Terror from the river: the flood that destroyed downtown Dayton

Trailsend, the estate of Gov. James M. Cox, is a 15,000 square foot mansion that sits on five acres and includes two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool. PHOTO / Tom Gilliam(Tom Gilliam)


Trailsend was Gov. Cox's primary residence until his death on July 15, 1957. After Cox's death in 1957, Trailsend was sold and became a private club from 1958-1982 called the Trails End Social Club

Danis Properties Co. Inc. bought Trailsend in 1986 and did a 2.5 million dollar renovation.

>> PHOTOS: See how this old steam plant is beginning to take on new life

Trailsend, the estate of Gov. James M. Cox, is a 15,000 square foot mansion that sits on five acres and includes two tennis courts, a billiards room and an in-ground swimming pool. PHOTO / Tom Gilliam(Tom Gilliam)

In 2005, Charles W. Spear purchased the property for $1.5 million to hold business meetings and events but faced foreclosure in 2012. 

The property was sold on April 24, 2015 to an owner who prefers to stay anonymous at this time. As of July 2017, future plans call for a private residence and possible event space.