Hospital notifies patients of records in Dumpster privacy breach

Published: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 @ 3:49 PM
Updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 @ 6:23 PM

Community Mercy Health Partners has posted official public notice of a privacy breach involving lab records discarded in a recycling bin last year.

Thousands of records, including lab test requests and results with patient information on them, were found inside a publicly accessible recycling Dumpster on Thanksgiving Day.

Once notified of the breach, CMHP had 60 days to contact patients whose information was in those files, according to federal regulations, and was required to post a public notice.

That notice published this week reveals several new details about how the breach occurred.

“On November 27, 2015, law enforcement contacted CMHP and advised us that CMHP’s patient records were found in a public recycling dumpster. CMHP employees immediately went to the recycling site, retrieved all the documents in the dumpster, and began an internal investigation. Our investigation determined that a CMHP vendor had inadvertently disposed of the lab records in the dumpster on November 25, 2015,” the statement said.

A CMHP spokesman would not reveal what vendor was involved but said the documents were being stored in a secure location that was preparing for renovation.

“Some documents were intended for a shredding vendor, while other documents were identified to be moved to a secure new off-site location. None of them were intended for a Dumpster,” spokesman Dave Lamb said.

The vendor was discarding other items from the location and inadvertently disposed of the patient records as well, he said.

“The lab records may include patients’ names, physicians’ names, accession numbers, types of study, guarantor information, health insurance information, diagnoses, other clinical information, and in some instances Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers,” the statement continues.

The hospital believes it has retrieved all the documents that were discarded and has no reason to believe that exposed information has been used in any way, Lamb said.

“This incident did not affect all CMHP patients but in an abundance of caution we began mailing letters on January 25, 2016. We also established dedicated call center for patients to call with any questions,” CMHP’s statement said. “If you believe you are affected but do not receive a letter by February 15, 2016, please call 1-877-810-8083 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern Time.

“We also recommend that affected patients review the explanation of benefits they receive from their health insurer. If they see services that they did not receive, please contact the insurer immediately.”

In an effort to be fully transparent, CMHP is sending approximately 94,000 notification letters, Lamb said. Some of those may be duplicates as there are some individuals who may have received services from more than one facility and had their information included in the records more than once.

CMHP has also taken steps to re-inventory all document storage locations, significantly reduced or eliminated retention of paper documents and re-educated its facilities management contractors on storage and relocation to prevent this from happening in the future, the statement said.

Space heater causes mattress to catch fire in Dayton home

Published: Thursday, November 23, 2017 @ 3:28 AM

Space heater cause of Dayton house fire

UPDATE @ 4:07 a.m: A space heater being too close to a mattress was the cause of a fire on Adams Street in Dayton early Thursday morning.

>> 2 guilty in firefighter’s death: ‘While we were planning a funeral, they were gambling in Las Vegas’

The heater caused the entire bedroom to catch fire in the one of the duplex apartments, according to officials.

Fire crews had no problem getting the fire out or removing residents from the structure.

All of the residents, with the exception of the individual who lives in the apartment where the fire started, were able to return.

The individual did reportedly suffer smoke inhalation as a result of the fire.

There is no word on damage estimates.

INITIAL REPORT

A medic has been requested to the scene of a fire in Dayton.

Initial reports indicate a mattress caught fire in a home on Adams Street around 3:11 a.m. Fire crews were able to quickly put the fire out.

A resident reportedly suffered smoke inhalation.

This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.

Inmate escapes during treatment at Middletown hospital

Published: Thursday, November 23, 2017 @ 1:32 AM

Inmate escapes while being treated at Middletown hospital

Deputies from the Warren County Sheriff’s Office are looking for an inmate that escaped custody of the Community Corrections Center staff late Wednesday night. 

TRENDING: Dayton Public Schools Supt. put on administrative leave

Robert Langford escaped custody of the CCC staff while in the process of being treated at Atrium Medical Center. He was last seen running north from the Atrium Medical Center in the city of Middletown at 8:08 p.m. in a hospital gown.

TRENDING: Deputy pursues car suspected in cell phone store heists

Langford is described as a 31-year-old white male, 6 feet tall, weighing 175 pounds with blue eyes and blond hair. 

He was sentenced to the Community Corrections Center after being convicted of drug offenses.

Anyone with information as to the whereabouts of Robert Langford are urged to contact the Warren County Sheriff’s Office at 513-695-1280 or the Warren County Communications Center at 513-695-2525. 

24-hour CrossFit workout launches today in honor of fallen soldiers

Published: Thursday, November 23, 2017 @ 6:04 AM

 (Richard Graulich / The Palm Beach Post)
(Richard Graulich / The Palm Beach Post)

CrossFit 937, Spring Valley and State Route 48 in Centerville, on Thanksgiving Night will launch a 24-hour memorial workout to remember fallen soldiers.

RELATED: 4th US soldier dead after attack in Niger

Beginning at 8 p.m. Thursday, and every hour until 8 p.m. Friday, owner Mike Burnett will lead a workout in honor of a named fallen soldier.

The event is being held also to raise money and canned goods, with every person who participates being asked to bring a canned good for a local VFW post or foodbank.

RELATED: Thanksgiving Forecast

For the uninitiated, CrossFit is constantly varied and functional movements performed at high intensity. The movements reflect the best aspects of gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and more.

Burnett has participated in CrossFit competitions, most recently in Toledo, and has been ranked as one of the nation's top crossfit participants. This special holiday workout would also resonate because he is a Marine who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.

Emily Stork, a member at CrossFit 937 since September 2014, said she will be taking part in the 6 a.m. Friday workout. 

When she found out about the 24-hour memorial workout, she said her first reaction was "Mike's crazy. I actually think it's great."

Stork said to get Thanksgiving Day started, Burnett will be holding a holiday workout at 9 a.m. for friends and family of Crossfit 937 members who are in town for the day.

Crews battle fire at vacant house in Dayton

Published: Thursday, November 23, 2017 @ 5:52 AM

A vacant house was damaged by a fire early Thursday morning.

The fire was reported around 4:35 a.m. in the 200 block of Deeds Avenue.

>> Space heater causes mattress to catch fire in Dayton home

The fire started in the living room and destroyed the home’s front porch, according to initial reports.

An investigator has been called to the scene.