log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, November 09, 2017 @ 12:36 PM
— Nearly half of renters in the Dayton area are “cost burdened,” meaning they spend 30 percent or more of their income on housing, which can put a major strain on a household budget, especially for those at the lower end of the income scale, according to analysis by Apartment List released today.
Dayton has been nationally recognized for having a cheap housing market, compared with most other medium- and large-sized metro areas.
Rents in the Dayton metro area have remained fairly steady in recent years, while incomes have seen some growth, according to the Apartment List’s analysis of Census data.
But many residents in rental housing continue to shoulder heavy housing costs, including the more than one in five Dayton-area renters who are severely cost burdened, meaning they spend at least half of their income on housing, the data show.
Dayton’s numbers are fairly comparable to Ohio and the rest of the nation.
“This report aligns with other studies we’ve seen showing how the long-term trends of rising rents and stagnant wages are taking a bigger and bigger chunk out of working families’ paychecks,” said Marcus Roth, spokesman and development director of the Coalition on Homelessness and Housing in Ohio.
In 2016, about 47 percent of renters in the Dayon metro area paid 30 percent or more of their income on housing, the analysis of U.S. Census data shows. Slightly more renters in the region were cost burdened last year than in 2015 (46.9 percent).
But on a positive note, the share of area renters who are severely cost burdened did fall to the lowest level in more than a decade.
About 23.2 percent of local renters are dealing with seriously heavy housing costs. That’s at the lowest level since 2005. In 2011, 31.3 percent of renters were severely cost burdened.
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 10:21 AM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 11:00 AM
VANDALIA — UPDATE @ 11 a.m.
Police blocked portions of Buttercup Avenue and Gabriel Street in Vandalia to investigate a person who made suicidal threats, according to investigators.
The incident is being investigated as a suicide attempt, police said.
We’re working to learn more about police activity reported on Buttercup Avenue in Vandalia Friday morning.
Police and fire crews are on scene and have blocked the area of Buttercup Avenue and Gabriel Street at Buttercup Avenue.
Additional details were not immediately available.
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 10:49 AM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 11:33 AM
MASON — A fire, originally reported as being large, at Premier Packaging, 4219 S. U.S. 42, was out within about 45 minutes.
Although a second alarm had been sent, that call for assistance from other departments was called off.
Ivery Campbell, warehouse manager for Premier Packaging, estimated employees were able to reoccupy the building at about 10:30, 50 minutes after the fire was reported.
“It’s out and contained,” Campbell said. The fire occurred at one of two companies that share the building with Premier, Eco Development and PAX Corrugated Products.
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 10:03 AM
— Dayton city leaders said this week they’re concerned about two potential threats to well fields along the Mad River from firefighting foam contaminants.
One potential source of contamination is at the city’s firefighting training center on McFadden near the Tait’s Hill well field. The other potential source of contamination is from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where a tainted groundwater plume was believed to be approaching production wells at Huffman Dam, city and state officials say.
The contaminant is known as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS.
The city shut down both well fields over the past two years as a precaution, Dayton officials said. The two well fields stand about three miles apart.
State and city officials say the water is safe and the contaminant has not been found in finished product to consumers.
Here’s a look at key developments this week:
1. The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and Wright-Patterson officials say they did not know of the firefighting training center concerns until recent days. Among other actions, the state EPA this week directed Dayton to test treated water at its Ottawa treatment plant near the Mad River monthly for the contaminant beginning March 31, and to determine the source of the contamination. Late last year, the city detected PFAS at less than 10 parts per trillion in a raw water intake at the plant, officials said. The U.S. EPA has a health advisory threshold of 70 parts per trillion for lifetime exposure to drinking water.
2. Dayton asked area city managers this month to co-sign a letter urging Wright-Patterson and the Air Force to act more quickly to resolve concerns a groundwater contamination plume could reach the Huffman Dam well field. The response to the city request thus far has been mixed.
3. Dayton, Ohio EPA, and Wright-Patterson authorities most recently met this week in ongoing talks about how to handle groundwater contamination concern.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 7:57 AM
Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:50 AM
FAIRBORN — UPDATE @ 9:49 a.m. (Feb. 23):
One of the two middle school students arrested on accusations they made threats prompting a lockdown at Fairborn High School Thursday appeared in court Friday.
The judge entered a plea of denial for the 11-year-old girl, who was charged with inducing panic.
The girl was ordered to stay in custody at juvenile detention.
The second child, the 12-year-old boy, did not appear as paperwork for the court was still in process, officials said.
UPDATE @ 11:50 a.m.:
Two middle school students have been arrested and charged for making threats that prompted a lockdown at Fairborn High School Thursday morning.
“The lockdown was due to a social media post that indicated Fairborn High School students and teachers were possibly in danger,” Fairborn police said in a media release.
Police originally said the lockdown was due to the vague threats, including a viral threat to an “SHS” school that multiple area schools investigated.
Police arrested two students from Baker Middle School in connection to the social media threats. An 11-year-old female was charged with inducing panic, and making terroristic threats. A 12-year-old male was charged with inducing panic and aggravated menacing.
“Police Chief (Terry) Barlow advised that any and all social media posts that threaten the safety of our schools, students and staff will be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law, regardless of the violator’s age,” according to the release.
UPDATE @ 8:19 a.m.:
The lockdown at Fairborn High School has been lifted after police checked the building following a threat made on social media involving “SHS.”
Fairborn High School is on a precautionary lockdown this morning on recommendation from police after various threats have been talked about in the area, school officials said.
The lockdown was in place at 7:50 a.m. and officials said there are no specific threats targeting the district.