Guns, drugs confiscated in lengthy investigation

Published: Thursday, October 04, 2012 @ 2:25 PM
Updated: Thursday, October 04, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

A joint investigation into gun and drug trafficking in Dayton has led to one arrest and more than 30 guns being confiscated, Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer announced Thursday.

Officers with the Montgomery County Regional Agencies Narcotics & Gun Task Force said the investigation spanned nine-months and there could be more arrests to come.

“These are violent criminals selling guns on the streets and causing problems in our neighborhoods,” Plummer said as he praised the work of the RANGE officers.

Dwight Stargell Sr., of 223 S. Ardmore Ave. in Dayton, is being held in the Butler County Jail and will be charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, dealing in firearms without a license, possession of a firearm in the furtherance of a drug trafficking crime, distribution of cocaine and possession of a sawed off shotgun.

He was arrested at his home Wednesday where Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents and RANGE task force detectives served a search warrant and confiscated three firearms, cocaine and marijuana.

A total of 35 firearms, nine of which have been identified as stolen, were recovered from Stargell’s home during two separate searches and through purchases by undercover officers. Three of those weapons are connected to the death of Dayton business owner Tommy Nickles in April, for which Stargell’s nephew Anthony Stargell Jr. has been indicted on murder and 22 other felony counts.

The firearms are mostly handguns, but also included a sawed off shotgun, two assault rifles with high capacity magazines and other rifles and shotguns.

“That will rip through your car, your vest, everything,” RANGE field commander Sgt. Mike Brem said about one of the assault rifles.

“Firearms trafficking is a crime that affects everybody,” said ATF Resident Agent in Charge Scott Chard. He said agents will work to track the weapons, determine where they came and return the stolen firearms to their owners.

RANGE detectives had been conducting an undercover investigation of Stargell for four months when his nephew was arrested April 11 in connection with Nickles’ slaying.

“We got information that one or multiple guns from a homicide had made their way over to Dwight’s house,” Brem said.

A search warrant was executed at Stargell’s home on April 19 and detectives found cocaine, marijuana, the sawed off shotgun, a pistol and ammunition. A firearm used in Nickles’ death was recovered at that time.

Anthony Stargell’s trial date has not been set. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty, but his lawyer submitted a motion to dismiss the death penalty specifications on Monday along with a dozen other motions requesting disclosure of various State’s evidence.

Anthony Stargell is accused of shooting both Nickles and his golden retriever to death in an apparent robbery at Nickles’ Quality One Electric business at 838 S. Main St. on April 3.

Dwight Stargell was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon and trafficking in counterfeit drugs in 2007 and sentenced to six months in prison.

Psych! You won’t be able to tour Dayton Arcade after all 

Published: Saturday, May 27, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

Sorry guys, you’ll likely need to scratch those plans of getting a rare look inside the Dayton Arcade. 

>> 8 things you probably never knew about the Dayton Arcade

Young Ohio Preservationists, a state historic preservation group, said it underestimated the number of people would be interested in seeing inside the historic building in the center of downtown Dayton June 3. 

>> Dayton Arcade is ‘show of good faith’ to partners, community, UD leader says 

More than 900 people expressed interest in a tour of the building for an event called “YOP Tour Day: Dayton Arcade.” 

Here is a message on the event’s page:

“We want to extend our sincerest apologies to everyone disappointed that they can't make this particular tour. We're a very small volunteer organization not based in Dayton. We had no idea how overwhelming the interest would be. Additionally, a few tour guides had to drop out last minute, making the cap on attendance even more strict. The cap on this particular tour was set at 25, and with over 900 people vocalizing interest on our event page, we suppose this was the reason many people weren't able to get in. 

There will be additional tours in the future, and we will make sure you all know ahead of time including how many people are limited per tour with as much time to sign up as we can manage. We'll also be sure to post disclaimers that tour restrictions and times are subject to change, so that our attendees will be aware that their plans may be affected. 

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope you'll join us for our additional Arcade tours & future events.”

>> MORE: The Arcade: Dayton’s crowning jewel

>> MORE: Photos of the Dayton Arcade

First opened in 1904, the Arcade closed for good in 1991.  

ID released for Indiana man who never resurfaced at Grand Lake St. Marys

Published: Saturday, May 27, 2017 @ 8:05 AM
Updated: Saturday, May 27, 2017 @ 9:30 PM

UPDATE @ 9:30 p.m.

The man who went overboard a pontoon boat overnight was identified as 48-year-old Kevin Mann of Portand, Indiana, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

The search will resume Sunday for Mann, who apparently jumped from the pontoon into the lake but never came back up, officials said.

UPDATE @ 8:25 p.m.

The search has been called off for tonight, but will resume Sunday to find the man who went overboard from a pontoon boat during the overnight hours.

Authorities said the man is from Indiana, but have not released his name and age.

UPDATE @ 9:51 a.m.

The search continues at Grand Lake St. Marys where a male went overboard from a pontoon boat overnight.

Montezuma firefighters and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources are actively searching the lake in the area of Safety Island.

Firefighters got the call at 2:35 a.m. that a male went overboard and needed rescued. Montezuma Fire Chief Ron Schulze said the search for the victim continues this morning.

Celina police and fire, as well as St. Mary’s Twp. firefighters are assisting.

Further details have not been released.

EARLIER

A person has reportedly drowned at Grand Lake St. Marys State Park in Mercer County, according to officials. 

Authorities tell WHIO's Steve Baker a person drowned in the lake near Montezuma around 2:30 a.m. 

Initial reports indicate a man went overboard while on a boat in the lake. 

A spokesperson with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources could not be reached for comment. 

Our crew will be attending a news conference in Mercer County scheduled for 9:30 a.m. 

We will continue to monitor and update this developing story.

5 firefighters, 2 residents hurt at high rise apartment fire

Published: Saturday, May 27, 2017 @ 12:13 PM

UPDATE @ 2 p.m.

Five firefighters were hurt while battling the fire at a high-rise apartment building in Dayton.

The firefighters’ injuries were not considered life-threatening and they were transported from the scene on Belmonte Park North to the hospital for treatment, according to an official at the scene.

Some firefighters suffered smoke inhalation and at least one suffered a shoulder injury, according to Dayton Fire spokesman Bryan Adams.

Two residents were also taken to the hospital for treatment and at least one resident is receiving medical treatment at the scene.

The Red Cross has been called to assist in setting up a temporary shelter for the displaced residents.

The 10-floor apartment building has been evacuated and officials said it will be awhile before anyone can return to their apartments.

A major challenge for the firefighters was getting older residents, some who are disabled, safely out of the building, according to an official at the scene.

Officials aren’t sure yet what led to the fire, but our crew talked to the children of the woman whose apartment caught fire.

They tell us their mother was cooking and the fire started from grease in the kitchen of her eighth-floor apartment.

Dozens of people were standing outside of the building.

UPDATE @ 12:50 p.m.

We’re working to confirm that a Dayton firefighter was injured while battling a blaze on the eighth floor of an apartment building in the 500 block of Belmonte Park North.

Dozens of firefighters responded to the scene and many appeared tired and spent after putting the fire out and searching the building for anyone needing help.

According to emergency scanner traffic, a firefighter called for help while inside the building and working to douse the flames.

This newsroom has obtained the 9-1-1 call from a resident who reported the fire to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

The caller told the dispatcher there’s a fire in an apartment on the eighth floor and reported seeing a lot of black smoke.

The dispatcher advised the resident to get everyone out of the building.

There have been no reports of injuries to any of the residents. 

EARLIER

Crews in Dayton are working to put out a fire at a building in the 500 block of Belmonte Park North.

PHOTOS: Black smoke rises from upper floor of Dayton apartment building

Crews were called at 11:47 a.m. and early reports indicated the fire is at an apartment building and some residents may need rescued.

We’re headed to the scene and will update this story as more information becomes available.

Another OVI checkpoint tonight in Kettering

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 8:05 AM
Updated: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 11:40 PM

Sobriety checkpoints are tonight and Saturday night during Memorial Day Weekend in Kettering. The purpose is to deter and to intercept drivers operating a vehicle while intoxicated. TODD JACKSON / STAFF

UPDATE @ 6:30 p.m. (May 27)

The second night of OVI checkpoints is from 9 to 11 p.m. in the north lanes in front of 3018 Woodman Drive and from 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. in the west lanes in front of 2841 E. Dorothy Lane.

Friday night’s checkpoints netted one OVI arrest and multiple citations and court summonses, police said.

Police agencies are required by state law to publicize the checkpoints ahead of time.

UPDATE @ 3:47 a.m. (May 27)

Kettering police made one OVI arrest and issued multiple citations in a moving OVI checkpoint Friday night and Saturday morning. 

More than 350 cars passed through the checkpoints in the 3100 block of Woodman Drive and 2800 block of East Dorothy Lane. 

Kettering police said two citations were issued for seat belt violations and one for expired registration. 

Police also said the checkpoints resulted in one summons for open container of alcohol and another for possession of drugs. 

Kettering police and the Montgomery County Combined Agency OVI Task Force teamed up for the sobriety check.

INITIAL REPORT (May 26)

Police are cracking down on drinking and driving this Memorial Day Weekend.

Kettering police officers on Friday will hold two OVI checkpoints and will return Saturday night for sobriety checkpoints to deter and intercept those operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

The moving checkpoint is scheduled from 9 to 11 p.m. in the north lanes in front of 3018 Woodman Drive and 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. in the west lanes in front of 2841 E. Dorothy Lane. These locations are where the highest number of OVI crashes happen in the city, police said.

“We’ll be bringing them into the checkpoint and checking for signs of impairment. Anything from slurred speech to the way their eyes are operating,” Kettering police Lt. Lee Sanders said.

Kettering police want drivers to know they’re watching, and will be out in full force this weekend.

“We want to make sure we’re encouraging people not to drink and drive, make sure they make good decisions,” Sanders said.

Woodman Drive had the most OVI crashes in 2016 in the city.

“If you’re feeling the effects of alcohol you’re likely too intoxicated to be driving,” Sanders said.

Memorial Day Weekend is the busiest road travel weekends in the country.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol will nearly double its patrols.

“We want everyone to get from point A to point B safely,” Sgt. Matt Schmenk of the patrol’s Xenia Post said.

Extra patrols, and the patrol’s Click it or Ticket campaign to boost seat belt usage, are part of its effort to prevent deadly crashes.

“That’s the main mission for us,” Schmenk said.

The OVI checkpoints are funded by federal, state and local grants. Police agencies are required by state law to publicize the checkpoints ahead of time.

GOT A TIP? Contact the 24-hour line, 937-259-2237 or newsdesk@coxinc.com