Foxconn founder: US expansion might top $10 billion

Published: Thursday, June 22, 2017 @ 4:06 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 22, 2017 @ 4:05 AM

            FILE - In this Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, file photo, Foxconn Technology Group Chairman Terry Gou waves as he arrives at a hotel in Beijing. Gou says there is ‘still a chance’ the Taiwanese electronics giant might be able to buy Toshiba’s chip business despite the Japanese company’s choice of another bidder as its preferred buyer. (AP Photo/Andy Wong, File)
FILE - In this Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, file photo, Foxconn Technology Group Chairman Terry Gou waves as he arrives at a hotel in Beijing. Gou says there is ‘still a chance’ the Taiwanese electronics giant might be able to buy Toshiba’s chip business despite the Japanese company’s choice of another bidder as its preferred buyer. (AP Photo/Andy Wong, File)

The chairman of Taiwanese electronics giant Foxconn said Thursday it may spend more than $10 billion to set up manufacturing in the United States, and will announce investment plans by early August for at least three states.

Terry Gou gave no new information about where Foxconn will locate a U.S. display panel factory he said in January would cost up to $7 billion to build. That announcement triggered a flurry of lobbying by state leaders hoping to attract the investment, which he said might generate as many as 50,000 jobs.

Foxconn is the biggest contract manufacturer of smartphones and other devices for Apple, Sony, Blackberry and other brands. Its success has made Gou Taiwan's richest businessman. The company raised its profile with its purchase in March 2016 of struggling Japanese electronics brand Sharp for $3.5 billion.

The company plans to develop operations in the U.S. that combine hardware manufacturing and software development in technologies including artificial intelligence and automation, Gou said at a meeting with shareholders. Asked later at a news conference how much Foxconn might invest during the five-year plan, he said it might exceed $10 billion.

Foxconn has been in touch with the White House and expects to conclude negotiations by the end of July or early August, Gou said. He said the first investment agreement should cover at least three states, with at least three others to be added later.

The display panel factory, if built, would be a political trophy for U.S. President Donald Trump, who has promised to revive American manufacturing in the Midwest.

Gou mentioned Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Texas as manufacturing states with which Foxconn hopes to work but gave no indication whether any of them might be in the investment agreement. Gou said in January that Pennsylvania was the leading candidate for the panel factory, which would work with Sharp.

Details for each state were not settled, but overall, "we will provide at least tens of thousands of job opportunities," said Gou at the news conference.

Expansion into the United States would reduce Foxconn's reliance on China, where it has the bulk of its operations and employs about 1 million people.

Also Thursday, Gou said there is "still a chance" Foxconn might be able to buy Toshiba Corp.'s memory chip business despite the Japanese company's choice of another bidder as its preferred buyer.

Toshiba said Wednesday it picked a bid totaling about 2 trillion yen ($18 billion) by a U.S.-Japan consortium. Toshiba is selling the lucrative operation due to losses at its U.S. nuclear power unit, Westinghouse Electric Co.

"It is not a done deal yet. I believe there is still a chance for Foxconn," Gou said.

He noted that Toshiba's choice of the U.S.-Japanese consortium faced opposition, including from Japanese banks.

Western Digital of the United States also opposes the choice. It owns SanDisk chip operations that have a joint venture with Toshiba in Japan and says the company has no right to transfer that venture without the American partner's consent.

Western Digital said it filed a request for arbitration last week. Toshiba has accused Western Digital of interfering with its sales efforts.


McDonald reported from Beijing.

Miami Valley Shooting Grounds owner says slugs not from his gun range

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 6:32 PM

Miami Valley Shooting Grounds owner says slugs not from his gun range

A lawsuit from a Vandalia resident claims bullets fired from the Miami Valley Shooting Grounds were landing in his property.

Jamie Spencer said he’s found hundreds of bullet casings on his property, with some projectiles flying past him.

“It’s a whistling sound that flies over your head. It’s gone before you even know it was there. At that point you knew you were pretty doggone close to it,” he said.

RELATED: Gun range suit: Vandalia cop ‘retreated’ as bullets whiz overhead

The owner of Miami Valley Shooting Grounds, 771 Johnson Station Road, said the slugs are not coming from his gun range.

“He has his own range up there, he shot up there forever,” Dana Tackett said of Spencer. “I can give you names of people who go there and shoot.

“If I thought for one-half a second one of my bullets, trajectories, were going onto his property, wouldn’t shoot, wouldn’t do it, don’t need it,” Tackett said.

>>>Vandalia brewery helps put instruments in hands of local kids in need

The permit for Miami Valley Shooting Grounds states shooters are only allowed to fire from east to west at the 50-foot hill. 

Today, there were bulldozers going in and out of the gun range. Tackett said it’s regularly scheduled maintenance. Spencer said it’s because of the recent attention from his lawsuit.

>>>Longtime Dayton printer moving to Vandalia

“It clearly states projectiles are to be maintained on the property. Even if you don’t believe me, I think we’ve got the police officer’s report, we’ve got multiple witnesses,” Spencer said.

The city of Vandalia said it’s not getting involved in the dispute.

1 driver ejected, 1 driver suffers minor injuries in Darke County crash on U.S. 127

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 5:37 PM
Updated: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 8:30 PM

(Courtesy/Clinton Randall, The Early Bird Bluebag Media)
(Courtesy/Clinton Randall, The Early Bird Bluebag Media)

UPDATE @ 8:15 p.m.: One driver was ejected in the accident at U.S. 127 and Greenville-Celina Road in Darke County and a second driver was treated at a hospital and released. 

POPULAR: Man accused of mailing drugs hidden in Play-Doh

Scott Wornstaff, 57, of Dayton, was ejected in the collision that occurred when he failed to yield at the stop sign, according to the preliminary investigation by the Dark County Sheriff's Office. He was headed east on Greenville-Celina Road in a Chevy Cavalier. 

He was taken to Miami Valley Hospital by CareFlight suffering from unknown injuries, according to the sheriff's office. Wornstaff’s condition was not known, according to the sheriff’s office.

The car Wornstaff hit was being driven by Thomas Smith, 24, of Greenville. Smith was headed south on U.S. 127 in a Chevy Cobalt.

He was treated at Wayne Hospital and released. 

Neither driver was wearing a seatbelt, according to the sheriff's office. 

The accident remains under investigation.

UPDATE @ 5:45 p.m.: The victim in the two-vehicle accident on U.S. 127 at Greenville-Celina Road is a male and he has been taken to Wayne Healthcare by CareFlight. 

His condition is not known.


Deputies and rescue units are on the scene of a multiple-vehicle accident on U.S. 127 at Greenville-Celina Road in Greenville. 

Roadways in the area of the crash have been shut down because of the accident, which was reported just before 5 p.m. 

MORE LOCAL NEWS: NAACP reacts to Franklin Twp. firefighter’s resignation

CareFlight has been requested to the accident. 

Stay with for breaking news. 

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Sidney police: 5 overdose victims will live, video shows rescue underway

Published: Sunday, September 17, 2017 @ 10:48 PM
Updated: Monday, September 18, 2017 @ 7:50 AM

5 overdose victims will live, video shows rescue underway

UPDATE @ 8:10 p.m. (Sept. 19)

All five people who overdosed within an hour and a half Sunday night in Sidney will live, according to Sidney Police Chief Will Balling.

Balling said officers were dispatched on two separate overdose calls Sunday night, with police finding two overdose patients during their first call.

Dash and body camera footage shows officers dropping off the victims only to return an hour later on a report of three overdose patients in a car in the hospital’s parking lot.

>> Woman overdoses in parking lot of Shelby County Sheriff’s Office

“Sometimes that can wear on an officer, but we still have to remember that we’re there to serve and protect,” Balling said.

“So our first mission is to help save that individual and do whatever we can to assist, in this case, hospital staff”

Balling said the five victims are recovering, with one originally reported in critical condition at Miami Valley Hospital now listed as stable. He said the videos show the team effort that goes into saving lives on calls like this.

“These are real life situations that you can see them, the first responders, taking actions and saving lives,” Balling said.

>> 12 arrested, 17 sought in Sidney drug roundup

Sidney police will continue an investigation into the overdoses. Balling said the drugs all five victims overdosed on were bought from the same source in Dayton.

“Anytime you have this many [overdoses] we want to try and find out where it came from so we can prevent others,” Balling said.

UPDATE @ 7:50 a.m. (Sept. 18) 

Five people were driven to Wilson Memorial Hospital Sunday after overdosing, according to Sidney Police Chief Will Balling. 

>> Union City man in serious condition after stabbing

Balling said a truck arrived at the hospital carrying three people who overdosed, while two other people arrived at different times. The times when each incident was reported was not available and it was not known if the overdoses are believed to be connected. 

The conditions of the five overdose patients was not known, but Balling said one person ‘might not make it.”

We’re working to learn more and we’ll update this page as details become available. 

UPDATE @2:20 a.m. (Sept. 18)

Additional information on reported overdoses in the parking lot of Wilson Memorial Hospital Sunday night is expected to be released this morning.

This story will be updated as we learn additional information.


Sidney police are responding to multiple overdoses in the parking lot of Wilson Memorial Hospital Sunday night. 

Crews were dispatched to the hospital's parking lot at on a report of possible overdoses around 10:25 p.m. 

Initial reports indicate as many as three overdose victims have been found and officers are administering Narcan at the scene.

>> TRENDING: Springfield woman found in crashed car may have died weeks ago

At least two of the three patients are reportedly not breathing after several unsuccessful resuscitation attempts.

Sidney dispatchers are unable to confirm whether the victims overdosed in the hospital parking lot or if they were driven to hospital unconscious. 

According to scanner traffic, an unknown number of overdoses were reported in the same area earlier Sunday. 

>> WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Dispatchers could not confirm any details from the reports, telling our news team more information will be available later tonight.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to

Springfield man accused of mailing narcotics hidden in Play-Doh set

Published: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 7:10 PM

Jason Rager (Courtesy/Clark County Sheriff's Office)
Jason Rager (Courtesy/Clark County Sheriff's Office)

A 30-year-old Springfield man is to be in court Wednesday on felony charges accusing him of mailing narcotics -- hidden inside a Play-Doh set -- to someone in Asheville, North Carolina.

Jason Rager, of Willow Road, remains in the Clark County Jail after sheriff's deputies arrested him Monday evening. 

MORE LOCAL NEWS: There may be witness in firefighter’s death

According to a statement the sheriff's office released Tuesday evening, a supervisor from Box King, on North Bechtle Avenue, called the sheriff's office Monday afternoon to report a suspicious package that was being mailed to Asheville, N.C. 

Sheriff's investigators inspected the package, wrapped in brown paper, and found 70 Hydrocodone tablets hidden in the canisters of the children’s toy, sheriff's Maj. Christopher Clark said. 

Deputies here contacted narcotics officers in Asheville, who identified the recipient of the package. They picked him up Tuesday morning for questioning, Clark said, but there has been no word whether the man has been detained on charges. 

POPULAR: Conjoined twins born to area couple

Asheville police ascertained that Rager was the person who mailed the drugs. Clark County detectives contacted Rager at his residence and arrested him on single counts of drug trafficking the drug possession. 

"We do not believe this is the first time he's done it," Clark said, when asked whether detectives think Rager has mailed narcotics -- hidden in toys or not -- to western North Carolina or other locales. 

Clark said the tablets sell on the street for about $5 to $7 apiece, which makes the amount confiscated worth about $350. 

Rager is to make his initial appearance in Springfield Municipal Court on Wednesday morning, according to the sheriff's office.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to