log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, August 27, 2012 @ 3:20 PM
Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012 @ 3:20 PM
DAYTON — DAYTON — Minutes before a judge sentenced him to a 25-year prison term, Dorian L. Lucas told the families of his victims exactly how he felt.
“Always better them than me, any day,” Lucas said, leading spectators to shout, to cry and to storm out.
Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Timothy O’Connell noted that response when sentencing him.
“Mr. Lucas has shown no remorse,” O’Connell said. “And he has not taken responsibility for these offenses.”
As O’Connell spoke, a female spectator pronounced Lucas “Satan.”
Lucas, 21, known as D-Luke, is a reputed member of the Dayton View Hustlers street gang. He pleaded guilty Aug. 3 in four felony cases, two of them concerning deaths.
One victim was 23-year-old Jamahl Moore, who was shot to death April 29, 2011 inside a West Grandview home. At the time, police said that Moore was also a gang member.
“Did you know that Jamahl lived nine minutes,” Moore’s mother, Jo Karen Nelloms, asked Lucas. “He crawled out of that apartment and almost made it outside.”
Moore left a 2-month-old daughter, and “my granddaughter has to grow up wondering what her daddy was like,” Nelloms said. She then added that Moore had been one of Lucas’ friends.
Dyanne Hill, the mother of Natasha Lawson, also addressed Lucas. Lawson, 38, was killed Oct. 11, 2010. Lucas was fleeing from police at a high rate of speed before crashing into Lawson’s vehicle on North Gettysburg Avenue.
Lawson, a former General Motors employee who had lost her job, had just finished her nursing degree and was having resumes made the day of her death. Lawson’s 40th birthday would have been this Friday and her daughter was married last week.
“You took so much from us, so very much,” Hill said. “I hope you have years to think about what you have done.”
Lucas had pleaded guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter in Moore’s death, one count of aggravated vehicular homicide in Lawson’s death. He also pleaded guilty to two counts of felonious assault for shooting at residents of a Daleview Avenue home in Harrison Twp.
In that case, a 19-year old man answered the door around 9:30 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2011. He and Lucas argued, and Lucas pulled out a gun and fired several shots, hitting him in the arm. The victim was transported to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to the sheriff’s office.
The final charge was possession of heroin, from a Sept. 9, 2010 traffic stop when police saw heroin capsules on the passenger seat, according to the prosecutor’s office.
After Lucas’ arrest last year, Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer called him “one of the more violent guys on the streets,” and said that he had an “extensive juvenile record and is one of the leaders of the Dayton View Hustlers”
O’Connell noted his extensive juvenile record, with eight delinquency findings which included incarceration with the Ohio Department of Youth Services.
Lucas was one of his mother’s five children, but did not know his siblings, O’Connell said. Children Services removed the children from the mother’s home when Lucas was three. He does not know his father, who is serving a prison term for a murder conviction, O’Connell said.
Published: Friday, April 08, 2011 @ 6:11 AM
Updated: Friday, April 08, 2011 @ 6:11 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The official who oversees Ohio's elections says he doesn't agree with a measure proposed by some fellow Republicans to require voters to show photo IDs at the polls.
Secretary of State John Husted tells The Columbus Dispatch on Thursday that he would not change current policy that allows voters to prove their identities with photo IDs or other documents, such as utility bills or paychecks.
A bill approved by the Ohio House would require voters to show the photo ID before casting an in-person ballot. It is now being reviewed by the Senate.
Husted instead proposes changes for voters casting early ballots or provisional ballots. He says those voters should be required to give their full Social Security numbers instead of the currently required last four digits.
Published: Friday, October 28, 2016 @ 2:25 PM
Updated: Saturday, October 29, 2016 @ 4:37 PM
OXFORD — New restaurants and retail shops are coming to a development on the former Walmart site in Oxford.
Bishop Square — a 50,000-square-foot mixed use development at 419 Locust Street that currently includes 272 units of student housing — is adding Marco’s Pizza, Tim Hortons, a Sprint retail store and a bank.
“The final stage is important because we’ll be building the outlots that sit along Locust, which will serve as the front door to the whole project,” said Josh Rothstein, of Blue Ash-based OnSite Retail Group, which is handling marketing and leasing for the project. “The retailers and restaurants are excited to open their locations here because being across from Kroger, TJ Maxx and Dollar Tree provides tremendous exposure, great visibility and easy access to the shoppers already passing through this part of town.
“It’s also easily in walking distance to not only the concentration of Miami’s campus, but also the off-campus housing population,” Rothstein said.
Two other storefronts on the site are being are in the process of being leased, he said.
Existing Bishop Square tenants include Oxford Lane Library, Mercy Health - Orthopaedics and Sports Rehabilitation, Great Clips and Cloud 9 Vapor Lounge. A second-floor above some of those tenants includes office space.
Alan Kyger, Oxford’s economic development director, said the community is excited to see the Bishop Square project moving into its final phases.
“In 2005, when Walmart moved away from this site, the abandoned building that was left behind was a large eyesore for the Tollgate Business District, as well as for the whole community,” Kyger said. “Developer Robert Fiorita is to be commended in providing such a good-looking redevelopment project.
“The addition of these merchants will provide the citizens of Oxford additional shopping options. I expect each of these new businesses to be very successful in this new development.”
Marco’s Pizza has 700 stores in 35 states, doubling in size over the last five years and on track to 1,000 stores by the end of 2017, according to the company. Area locations include Middletown, Monroe, Hamilton and Liberty Twp. in Butler County.
Published: Saturday, June 09, 2012 @ 8:16 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 09, 2012 @ 8:16 AM
SPRING VALLEY TWP., Ohio — A 73-year-old Bellbook man killed in a plane crash Saturday morning was an experienced pilot who had built four planes like the “experimental aircraft” he flew that day, according to his wife.
Roger Flower died in the 8 a.m. crash, said Sgt. Anthony Pearcy of the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
“Some witnesses in the area did see the plane flying and the witnesses believe they did see something fall off the plane,” he said.
Flying out of the Lewis A. Jackson Regional Airport in Greene County, the plane flown by Flower crashed about 100 yards from a house at 1856 Ohio 380. Debris from the crash spread about 300 feet and the plane had extensive damage.
Flower was a naval aviator for 31 years who still loved to fly in his retirement, said Jan Flower, his wife of 50 years.
“It was his life, ” she said. “He was flying a plane that he had built and flew out of Greene County Airport and was there every day and loved it.”
After retiring from the Navy, he became a certified aviation engineer and began building his own aircraft, his wife said.
“He knew what he was doing about building it and just loved it and wasn’t ready to give up airplanes, so he built them,” she said.
Both natives of Ohio, Roger and Jan Flower have four sons and moved to Bellbrook eight years ago, when they were done traveling with the Navy.
She described her husband as “a leader, totally confident. (He) could tackle anything, could build or fix anything, loved his children and his grandchildren, (and) loved serving in his church.”
The OHSP is investigating the crash with the National Transportation Safety Board and the Greene County Sheriff’s Office.
The plane was a fixed wing, single engine, experimental/homemade aircraft, according to the patrol.
“According to the family members, it’s been flown before,” said Pearcy.
There was no flight plan filed for the plane and the destination of the flight was unknown, Pearcy said.
Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 @ 7:44 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 @ 7:44 PM
DAYTON — Police have arrested a 20-year-old Dayton man in the slaying of a business owner found dead inside a burned out garage last week.
Anthony Lamar Stargell Jr. was arrested Wednesday morning and is in the Montgomery County Jail pending the filing of an unclassified felony murder charge.
Dayton Sgt. Dan Mauch said detectives believe Stargell shot and killed 54-year-old Tommy Nickles before setting a fire inside 838 S. Main St. on April 3.
“The fire did not do the damage that the perpetrator expected,” Mauch said Wednesday afternoon. He said evidence collected inside the business and from Nickles’ stolen work van helped lead detectives to Stargell. The van was recovered by police late April 3 in the 400 block of Leland Avenue.
A search warrant was executed at 2905 Oakridge Drive on Wednesday, where Stargell occasionally stays with family. He was taken into custody at about 11 a.m.
Nickles, of Kettering, died from multiple gunshot wounds and was found in a garage where he ran Quality One Electrical Service. A Golden retriever that had been shot to death also was found in the building, police said.
Nickles' family confirmed last week that he had been living in the building because of a recent divorce. They said they couldn’t fathom why someone would want to kill the father of two.
“Tom was a good man, he was a good father,” said Gavin Whitt, Nickles’ godson.
Mauch said Stargell and Nickles knew each other. He said police are investigating robbery as a possible motive or that Nickles possibly owed Stargell money.
“It’s still an ongoing investigation,” he said. Police also are trying to locate several individuals who may have stolen property belonging to Nickles.
According to court records, Stargell was convicted of robbery in February 2011 and sentenced to five years’ probation.
His mother, Tonya Bailey, said her son recently got out of prison, but she doesn’t believe that he is responsible for Nickles’ death.
“I don’t think that he did do it, but if he did do it he didn’t do it by himself,” she said.