Heavy Rain


I-75 crash: Police release cruiser cam video

Published: Sunday, April 30, 2017 @ 5:00 PM
Updated: Monday, May 01, 2017 @ 10:54 PM

UPDATE@4:55 p.m. (May 8):

Dayton police on Monday afternoon released cruiser cam video of the moment they arrived at the scene of the explosion in which a wrong way driver collided with a tanker truck April 30.

Motorist Andrew T. Brunsman, 30, of Centerville drive the wrong way and collided with the tanker truck, which exploded, police said. 

UPDATE @ 1:09 p.m.:

Wife of truck driver Richard Miller said he's not ready to speak publicly about the I-75 crash but their family wanted to extend their thoughts and prayers for the Brunsman family. 

"We are continuing to pray for the family that lost a loved one on Sunday," she said. "Our hearts go out to them," she said. "For whatever the reason is… that family lost a loved one. At this point we're just asking everyone to pray for them." "There's a lot of shock," she said.

Richard Miller suffered a dislocated shoulder in the accident.

UPDATE @ 12 p.m. (May 3, 2017):

The official crash report from the deadly I-75 wrong-way crash was released Wednesday. 

It confirms a vehicle driven by Andrew Brunsman of Centerville was driving the wrong-way on I-75 southbound when it struck a tanker which then collided with the median wall, caught fire and exploded.

The truck was owned by Lewis Transportation Inc out of Columbia Kentucky and was driven by Richard Miller, 59, of Dayton. Miller suffered only minor injuries. 

A third vehicle was damaged by debris from the crash. 

The report also shows that Brunsman’s vehicle struck the truck as it attempted to swerve to avoid the wrong-way driver. Both Brunsman’s vehicle and the truck were fully engulfed by the fire. 

The Dayton Police report indicates that alcohol or drugs are suspected to have played a role in Brunsman's actions. 

The report says alcohol and drug screenings were ordered on him via blood test, but the results are not yet known. 

The truck driver was not suspected of alcohol or drug use and was not tested.

A third car narrowly missed the horrific impact. 

A Dayton couple swerved to miss the swerving tanker traffic and noticed the wrong-way driver crossed two lanes of traffic to hit the tanker truck head on. 

>>RELATED: I-75 Crash: ‘He wanted to hit him’ says third driver

FIRST REPORT

DAYTON —  The man who drove the wrong-way on Interstate 75 before fatally crashing into a tanker full of gasoline Sunday previously had his driver’s license suspended after a suspected drunk driving incident. 

  • Ohio EPA spokeswoman Dina Pierce said there is no danger to the neighborhoods from smoke and fire produced by the collision, and that the city’s drinking water sources were not affected.
  • Dayton fire crews flushed the storm sewers to push out the gasoline, Pierce said.
  • An environmental contractor ventilated the storm sewer overnight Sunday into today. 
  • The contractor conducted air monitoring as well on Monday.

Police have yet to release their theory on why 30-year-old Andrew T. Brunsman was going the wrong way in the southbound lanes or whether they suspect alcohol to be a factor. Ohio Department of Transportation officials said they believe Brunsman entered the highway the wrong way at Third Street, driving up an exit ramp at about 4:40 p.m. 

He can be seen on ODOT traffic camera footage navigating oncoming traffic before crashing into the truck. Brunsman grew up in Beavercreek and graduated from Beavercreek High School in 2005. He then attended Wright State University, majoring in Business Economics. He graduated in 2010 with a bachelor's degree in business.

A representative from Reynolds and Reynolds in Kettering confirmed Brunsman was employed with the company at the time of his death.

RELATED: I-75 repairs will take days after deadly wrong-way crash

The truck driver, who has yet to be identified, escaped the crash with minor injuries. The subsequent explosion of the gasoline he was hauling sent smoke and flames into the air above downtown Dayton for hours, causing damage to pavement on the highway and a fire in the storm sewer system that spread to a nearby neighborhood. No other injuries were reported.

The highway is expected to be fully reopened by Thursday morning.

Court records show Brunsman had his driver’s license suspended for six months in 2013 after he was pulled over for speeding and was suspected of being intoxicated.

INTERACTIVE MAP: Wrong-way crashes in the area

He was going 85 mph in a 55 mph zone, according to Fairborn Municipal Court records. Police administered a breathalyzer test, and his blood-alcohol level was found to be .121, which is over the legal limit to drive of .08.

An operating a vehicle intoxicated charge was dismissed, and he was charged with reckless operation and speeding.

Prior to that incident, Brunsman had one speeding ticket and a misdemeanor charge for underage drinking while in college. He was given probation and did all required community service.

Brunsman’s family declined to comment on the crash.

Neighbors said Brunsman moved to Centerville when he got married in March of 2016.

His family is tight-knit, one neighbor said, and his loss is absolutely devastating for them.

> DETOURS: Detours around expected backup on SB I-75 morning commute

> VIDEO: Drone flew above crash scene

>PHOTOS: Images from the scene and above the scene

> RELATED: 911 callers warn of wrong-way driver on SB I-75 prior to fiery crash

> RELATED: Ohio third in nation for serious Hazmat transportation accidents

> RELATED: Dayton fatal crash deadliest of 2016 in Ohio

 

 

Clark County 11-year-old charged with unruliness, inducing panic

Published: Thursday, June 22, 2017 @ 3:43 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 22, 2017 @ 9:36 PM

UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m. (June 23):

Perry Beller has been charged with being an unruly juvenile and inducing panic, said Major Chris Clark, Clark County Sheriff’s office. The child will appear in juvenile court Friday.

UPDATE @ 9:20 p.m. (June 22)The Clark County Sheriff's Office is considering pressing charges in the Perry Beller missing child incident and has discussed with the family ways to prevent the boy from running off. 

"We have discussed that with the family," Maj. Chris Clark, operations commander with the sheriff's office, said of the recommendations offered. 

Perry is the son of a Clark County sheriff’s deputy.

Perry was located in downtown Christiansburg, Champaign County, by a member of the Region 3 Rescue Strike Team and a bystander. The boy's family and medics will determine whether to send him to a hospital. 

"We don't know the path that he took," said Michael Guadagno, strike team coordinator. He estimates the boy was missing more than 14 hours and covered roughly 5 miles from his home in Pike Twp. 

>>VIDEO: Boy 'very outdoorsy’

"He could have taken many paths back and forth. We assume he was wearing what he left the house in." 

Well more than 100 personnel from fire/EMS, law enforcement, seven to 14 search teams with multiple members as well as multiple K-9 teams from four counties joined in the search, Guadagno said. 

Maj. Clark said drones from the Ohio Bureau of Investigation and the Champaign County Sheriff's Office, as well as aircraft from the Ohio Highway Patrol and a private citizen pilot were part of the search effort as well. 

"It was a long, painstaking search and we're just really happy it ended successfully," Maj. Clark said. "It's a huge relief."

UPDATE @ 8:38 p.m.: Searchers have located Perry Beller. 

UPDATE @ 8:10 p.m.: We’re told the Perry Beller case has been elevated to an alert because of the length of time he has been missing, the fact that he has presumably been without food and water and because he is believed to be wearing little to no clothing.

UPDATE @ 7:35 p.m.: The search for Perry Beller has been elevated to an endangered missing child alert, according to the Clark County Sheriff's Office. 

The alert describing the 11-year-old was released minutes ago. He is 4-foot-2 inches tall, about 70 pounds and was possibly last seen in the village of Christiansburg in Champaign County. 

We're working to determine what led the sheriff's office to elevate this incident.

UPDATE @ 5:45 p.m.: More than 40 firefighters, EMTs, police, deputies and at least two K-9 units have launched the search for 11-year-old Perry Beller. 

The group is leaving from the Pike Twp. Fire Department, where officials briefed reporters on the boy described as very intelligent and knowledgeable about the outdoors. 

Jacob King, Bethel Twp. fire chief, said Perry “is a very avid, strong young man. He is very outdoorsy. 

"He does not mind running through fields, climbing trees, running in springs. He's very intelligent on the foods of the land. 

"He knows what berries, what type of fruits are grown in the area that he can eat…he is very outdoorsy and can move and navigate through this area very well. "

The search group intends to cover an area that includes Pike and Harmony townships, along the Clark/Miami county line.

If you see him, you are asked to call the Clark County Sheriff’s Office at 937-328-2561.

UPDATE @ 4:36 p.m.:  The public is being asked to check their properties -- trees, sheds, barns and the like -- for Perry Beller, described as a very strong boy who is “very outdoorsy” and likes to travel shoeless.

The boy is the son of a Clark County sheriff’s deputy.

He has some disabilities and officials believe those disabilities are driving him to run. One official calls it a “defiance disability.”

(NEW) Perry is believed to have oppositional defiant disorder, a mental impairment that affects children, generally in adolescence. While it is normal for a child to go through some level of disobedience in their youth, ODD goes beyond normal disobedience and often rise to a level that requires professional help, according to an article posted to disabilitysecrets.com.

Children with ODD do not see their behavior as defiant. They feel as though others are putting unreasonable demands on them when asked to behave properly.

Some children are diagnosed with ODD because they are explosive and angry, but they are just easily frustrated and inflexible; these children may not be disobeying authority on purpose.

Officials said the boy has built a club house. He likes to be outside. He doesn’t mind being out in the fields or wooded areas.

This is not the first time he has left home, one official said. Perry ran away to North Hampton on Memorial Day, ending up at a relative’s home. That’s about five miles from his home in Pike Twp.

The last reported sighting was at 10 am. in Christiansburg in Champaign County.

People living in the areas of North Hampton, New Carlisle and Christiansburg are urged to be on the lookout for the boy.

Officials are ruling out any abduction or family member taking him.

If you see him, you are asked to call the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, 937-328-2561.

INITIAL REPORT

Clark County law enforcement officials will hold a news conference this afternoon to notify the community about 11-year-old Perry Beller, who is said to be missing. 

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Officials told this news outlet Beller has been missing since this morning. Additional details were not available. 

We have a crew on the way to the news conference and will update this page as we learn more. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Infant ejected in rollover crash on I-70 in critical condition

Published: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ 11:53 PM

UPDATE @ 11:17 a.m. (June 23)

The injured infant remains in critical condition at Dayton Children’s Hospital, according to officials.

Sgt. John Bowling did confirm the mother was cited for a child restraint violation at the scene.  

UPDATE @ 4:10 a.m. (June 22)

An infant is in critical condition at Dayton Children’s Hospital after he was ejected in a rollover crash on I-70, according to our partners at Kicks96.

The crash happened just before 9 p.m. on Tuesday, June 20. 

FIRST REPORT 6/20/17

A 9-month-old infant suffered serious injuries Tuesday night when he was ejected in a rollover crash on I-70 West in Centerville, Ind., and had to be plucked from the interstate by his mother before he was struck, the Indiana State Police said.

SEE: More trending news headlines

The preliminary investigation shows that a pickup driven by Sherissa Mattingly, 32, of Hagerstown, Ind., was headed west on I-70 just before 9 p.m. when for an unknown reason she lost control and the truck rolled into the deep median just east of the Centerville Road exit. 

The truck came to rest on its wheels and perched on barrier cables on the south side of the median, close to the eastbound lanes. 

SEE: Rescuers search Little Miami River for ‘missing swimmer’

Further investigation revealed that the infant was not properly restrained and was ejected into the eastbound lanes of I-70 as the truck rolled. 

Mattingly was able to get out of the truck and retrieve her son from the interstate. 

A medical helicopter took the child to Dayton Children’s Hospital. 

A medic squad took Mattingly, who is believed to have suffered non-life threatening injuries, to Reid Health in Richmond. 

Tooper Scott Keegan, a crash reconstruction investigator, was sent to the scene to assist with the investigation that has kept the eastbound lanes of I-70 blocked since 9 p.m..

Troopers were expecting to have the road reopened by 11:30 p.m. 

The crash investigation is ongoing, according to ISP.

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Report: Pit bull sale arrangement leads to robbery

Published: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 10:47 AM

Dayton Police Officers responded to an armed robbery on the corner of Warren Street and Lincoln Street Thursday afternoon.

A Dayton woman planned to meet with an acquaintance at the intersection regarding the purchase of a pit bull.

>>TRACK THE LATEST CONDITIONS ON LIVE DOPPLER 7 INTERACTIVE RADAR

Police say, while waiting, an unidentified suspect approached her around noon with a firearm in-hand demanding for her purse.  

The suspect would then flee on foot towards downtown Dayton. The purse and its contents were valued around $250.

$86M overhaul planned to Dayton public housing high-rises, apartments

Published: Friday, June 23, 2017 @ 8:26 AM


            The Westdale high-rise is expected to be rehabbed and improved. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF

Dayton’s public housing authority plans to offer 669 apartments it owns and operates to private investors to help fund tens of millions of dollars in renovations to modernize the housing.

Greater Dayton Premier Management, the largest provider of affordable housing in Montgomery County, has 73 housing sites, and the average age of its apartments is 40 years old.

The physical needs of all of GDPM’s properties exceed $134 million, while the agency receives about $5 million annually for capital improvement projects, said Jennifer Heapy, the agency’s CEO.

The federal government has authorized GDPM to convert a handful of high-rises and a variety of smaller apartment buildings it owns into the project-based Section 8 housing program.

RELATED: Public housing targeted for demolition, upgrades

Private investors and tax credits will help fund updating or replacing the housing, the estimated redevelopment costs of which exceeds $85 million, according to the GDPM.

“This (program) is really reflective of HUD wanting to get out of ownership of public housing,” said Heapy.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) granted GDPM approval to participate in its Rental Assistance Demonstration program.

Under the program, GDPM can move some of its properties over into the Section 8 program, which provides people with vouchers, or payments, to live in privately owned housing.

The conversions will allow private capital to fund renovating or replacing public housing, which will benefit from tax credits to help provide subsidized rent to tenants, officials said.

MORE: Public housing residents to get employment help

Conversion is important because GDPM does not have the money to pay to update and renovate its buildings, officials said.

An assessment completed in 2011 concluded modernizing all of GDPM’s properties would cost $134 million.

The agency is waiting for a new physical-needs assessment to be completed to determine if the buildings it wants to convert to the private marketplace should be renovated or demolished and replaced.

MORE: Locations of Dayton’s affordable housing criticized

The first phase targets three high rises: The Metropolitan in the Grafton Hill area (77 apartments), the Wentworth in northwest Dayton (147 units) and the Westdale apartments on the west side (57 units).

The first phase will have an estimated development cost of $35 million.

Phase 2 right now includes the Wilkinson plaza high-rise, located downtown on the 100 block of West Fifth Street.

The building, which likely needs to be demolished, has 199 units and may be put into the first phase, Heapy said.

Other housing in the second phase include the Westdale cottages near the high-rise of the same name and a variety of scattered sites across the city.

The third phase, expected for 2020 to 2022, would likely demolish and replace the Hallmark Meridian, which has 75 units and is across the street from the Metropolitan.

The second and third phases have estimated development costs of $39.4 million and $11.2 million, respectively.

GDPM owns and operates about 2,680 housing units, and the current waiting list for public housing is 1,855.

The agency also provides nearly 4,100 people with housing vouchers, which are payments they can use to rent from operators of private housing. GDPM spends about $22 million on its voucher program, which has a waiting list of 4,620

After these three phases wrap up, GDPM is interested in transferring more of its properties through the program, Heapy said.