breaking news

Update


Community offers prayers for family that lost 2 of 3 children in I-70 crash

Published: Monday, July 24, 2017 @ 11:40 PM

Community gathers for memorial for children who died in crash

Ascension Church in Kettering was nearly full Monday night at a prayer service for David and Christina Bereda, who lost two children in a vehicle accident July 18, on I-70 West near the Illinois-Indiana line. 

Brennen and Finley Bereda, ages 5 and 1, were killed when a semitrailer rear-ended the SUV their mother, Christina, was driving, Indiana State Patrol officials said. 

RELATED: Bystanders tried to save children in I-70 crash

Family friend Pat Taylor said she received a call Monday that the third child, 3-year-old Jordan Bereda, has been released from a hospital in Indianapolis. He was taken there from the accident suffering from a broken arm, but Taylor said doctors found the other day that he had a broken leg. 

SEE ALSO: Prosecutor’s office reviewing fatal I-70 crash

A donation page for the family has been shared more than 35,000 times and has garnered at least $81,000 in donations in less than a week. 

"They'll never get over it," Taylor said outside the church. "It's going to be a long road. But with the support that have from their family members, they'll get through."

Local middle school releases students early after threat

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 3:45 PM

Morton Middle School students were released early Thursday after a threatening comment was found in the girl’s bathroom according to Vandalia City Schools. 

RELATED: See more trending stories on WHIO.com

The Vandalia Police Department was called to the school and began an investigation Thursday afternoon. Police do not believe the threat is viable, but as a precaution the decision was made to release students early. 

DOWNLOAD OUR FREE NEWS APPS FOR OUR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

The away boys and girls basketball games are still on as scheduled, but all evening activities at the building are cancelled. 

Miami County man charged with rape of child

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 3:52 PM

Gerald Rue
Gerald Rue

A 67-year-old Laura man is in the Miami County Jail accused of raping a child under the age of 10, according to records.

Deputies said they arrested Gerald Rue on a rape charge Wednesday afternoon and his bond is set at $800,000, according to jail records.

“The now adult victim reported the sexual assault to detectives last year,” Miami County Sheriff Dave Duchak said. 

Anyone who may information on this case or the suspect can call Det. Todd Cooper at 937-440-3965, ext. 6632.

‘Unauthorized’ Dayton food pantry ordered to stop operations

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 2:20 PM

Nicole Adkins stands inside With God’s Grace’s warehouse on Springfield Street in east Dayton. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF
Nicole Adkins stands inside With God’s Grace’s warehouse on Springfield Street in east Dayton. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF

The city of Dayton has ordered a nonprofit in east Dayton to stop operating what officials say is an unauthorized food pantry that has been the source of some neighborhood complaints.

With God’s Grace, located at 622 Springfield St., has caused disruption in the neighborhood because long lines of people were forming outside its doors and visitors were parking haphazardly, said Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein.

City staff is working with the nonprofit to go through the process of bringing it into compliance with zoning regulations and have urged the owners to make improvements to provide a place for assembly and prevent lines outside.

MORE: ‘Bad news’ for the city: 7 reactions to Good Samaritan Hospital’s closure

With God’s Grace Executive Director Nicole Adkins said the city’s zoning administrator reviewed her plans last year and gave the OK to operate a limited use food pantry, which has seen longer lines because a devastating fire closed Food for Less, reducing food access in the area.

She said the nonprofit is comprised entirely of volunteers and does not have the money to pay for major changes to the building.

“Nobody gets paid in this organization — it is all volunteer, even myself,” she said. “Doing the upgrades that are needed is not feasible.”

Sky7 Food for Less demolition

RELATED: Demolition of Food for Less store underway following fire

Earlier this month, the city issued a notice to With God’s Grace saying it is violating zoning code because it does not have the required occupancy certificates.

The city’s notice said the nonprofit needs certificates to operate as a warehouse and storage facility and as a food pantry.

City officials say With God’s Grace needs to apply for a change in occupancy and get its plans approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals. Improvements are needed to upgrade the property from a warehouse to a place where people can assemble, officials said.

“Ultimately, we are trying to enhance the safety of the situation and have the property owner in compliance if they choose or desire to run a food pantry along with the warehouse,” said Dickstein.

RELATED: Dayton among the worst cities for food hardship

But Adkins said last summer she shared her organization’s operational plans with Dayton Zoning Administrator Carl Daugherty, who she says gave them his blessing.

In a July e-mail to Adkins, Daugherty said he accepted the principal use of the Springfield Street property as a warehouse or storage facility and a food pantry would be an accessory use, according to the email.

However, Daugherty in the email says that “under no circumstances will persons be lined up outside the building awaiting entry.”

Adkins said at that time they only had a line outside at 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. when they opened.

But, she said, the number of families coming to get food surged to about 600, from 400, after Food for Less closed following a massive fire. Food for Less was located just a couple blocks away on the 3100 block of East Third Street.

Adkins said the pantry on Springfield Street is an accessory use because it is opened just once a week, while her organization operates a mobile food pantry multiple days each week.

Adkins said she believed the property was in compliance with zoning regulations because of what the zoning administrator told her.

Upgrading the warehouse to meet the standards of community centers, which pantries are considered, would be cost prohibitive, Adkins said.

QUICK READS ABOUT NEWS IN DAYTON

‘Bad news’ for the city: 7 reactions to Good Samaritan Hospital’s closure

Residents won’t have to vacate downtown Dayton apartments that lack heating

Bellbrook city manager leaving position in March

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 2:50 PM

MARK SCHLAGHECK
MARK SCHLAGHECK

Bellbrook City Manager Mark Schlagheck is resigning from his position with the city to take a position with The Jefferson Health Plan, he told this news agency Thursday.

Schlagheck said he submitted his resignation to the city council Friday and the council has since accepted his decision.

BELLBROOK NEWS: Tree trimming solicitor arrested on unrelated charge in Bellbrook

After leaving his position with Bellbrook, Schlagheck said he will be staying in the area while working for The Jefferson Health Plan as its Chief Financial Officer.

The city will begin the hiring process for Schlagheck’s replacement soon and he will be leaving office in mid-March, he said.

The Jefferson Health Plan operates as a council of governments and provides health care and related employee benefit programs to nearly 300 public employer member organizations throughout Ohio, according to its website.

Schlagheck has been Bellbrook’s city manager since Nov. 2008 and worked with the city of Centerville as its finance director prior to taking his position with Bellbrook.

Schlagheck is married to Washington Twp. Administrator Jesse Lightle.