severe weather


Community meets on Troy transgender policy

Published: Monday, August 31, 2015 @ 10:07 AM
Updated: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 @ 3:48 PM


            Local schools weigh in on restroom controversy 
Local schools weigh in on restroom controversy 

Following the response to the Troy Junior High School transgender student using the boys bathroom, we reached out to area school districts with three questions regarding their policies. Their answers will be updated as we receive them. View school responses »


UPDATE @ 8:55 p.m. (Sept. 1): More than 100 people attended a community meeting at Koinos Christian Church also attended by Troy school board President Doug Trostle and two city council members.

All of council and the mayor, as well as the district superintendent and the school board, had been invited.

Superintendent Eric Herman, hours before the meeting, said he didn’t think he would attend. “I’m not sure it would help,” he said.

Bryan Kemper, a Troy resident and president of Stand True Pro-Life Outreach who organized the meeting, said, “we want to discuss our concerns with each other and with them and give them a chance to respond to us.”

The community meeting was told there would be no public debate, no public forum, only discussion about the school board’s policy regarding the use of restrooms and transgender students.

Nine concerns that meeting organizers said they had heard about the policy were listed. The audience was told that a letter listing concerns and challenging the policy was delivered to school officials earlier in the day by the Alliance Defending Freedom organization.

UPDATE @ 8 a.m. (Sept. 1)

About a dozen people have gathered outside the Troy Board of Education office Tuesday morning in peaceful demonstration both for and against a decision to allow a student who identifies as a male to use the men’s restroom.

UPDATE @ 6:50 p.m. (Aug. 31)

The controversy with Troy City Schools about the use of restrooms prompted the following response from the Ohio School Boards Association:

Sara Clark, director of legal services for the Ohio School Boards Association, said her office has gotten a lot more gender identity questions from school districts recently, citing media attention about the topic.

“I think a lot of (students) who maybe haven’t been comfortable coming out at school or having the conversation with their school district are now having those conversations,” Clark said.

Clark wrote a November article on transgender students that was sent to Ohio school districts by OSBA.

On one side, the article reports, there are no explicit federal legal protections for transgender students, and while more than a dozen states have their own laws offering some protections on the basis of gender identity, Ohio is not one of them.

On the other side, Clark said, the federal departments of education and justice argue that discrimination on the basis of gender identity or transgender status is “based on sex” and therefore in violation of Title IX (as Troy said).

The conflict creates a type of legal limbo that could eventually be decided by a Supreme Court ruling.

FIRST REPORT

The Troy City Schools superintendent said Monday that the district is complying with law in allowing a student who has declared they are of the male gender use the men’s restroom.

The district on Friday afternoon notified parents via a telephone message that denying a student’s request to use a restroom that matches the student’s gender identity is prohibited under federal Title IX.

As a result, the message said, students are allowed to use restrooms that match their gender identity. In addition, parents were notified that restrooms are available in each district building for students or visitors who do not want use the shared restrooms. Questions were referred to the office of Superintendent Eric Herman or any building principal.

Herman said school officials were approached by a student who has declared they are of the male gender and has asked to use the bathroom of that gender.

He said the automated phone message was distributed late on a Friday because that is when information was available to distribute to parents after discussions with legal counsel.

“We are trying to work our way through it the best we can,” Herman said. “My role in this is to comply with the law as superintendent.”

Bryan Kemper of Troy, who said he has six children in district schools, said he was “outraged” by the district’s message. He stood along Market Street near the board of education offices Monday morning with signs, one saying, and “My students deserve privacy/No co-ed bathrooms.”

He said a community meeting for concerned parents would be held Tuesday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at the Koinos Christian Church at 722 Grant St. in Troy. “This will not be a debate or a bash session, we want an honest conversation about something many parents and students are deeply concerned about,” an email about the meeting said.

A parent of one high school student stopped to talk to Kemper as she headed for the board of education and the nearby high school. She said she planned to remove her daughter from the school.

‘You guys are ruining Christmas,’ theft suspect tells police

Published: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 11:06 AM

Steven Elzey
Steven Elzey

A theft suspect told police “you guys are ruining Christmas” after he was arrested while police investigated a suspicious circumstance involving copper wire at First Street Recycling, reported by the plant manager.

Steven Elzey, 35, was arrested on suspicion of obstructing official business and falsification at the business at 1341 E. First St. after police said he initially gave them his brother’s information, according to a Dayton Police Department report.

STORM CENTER 7: Live Doppler 7 HD Radar

After determining Elzey’s correct identity, Dayton police learned he had a warrant for his arrest in Clark County.

“I should have ... run. I would have got away,” Elzey told police as they drove him to the Montgomery County Jail, the report stated.

Elzey is next scheduled to appear Nov. 30 in Dayton Municipal Court, and he has another hearing scheduled in January in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court for a suspected parole violation, jail records show.

Greenville grad, explosive ordnance disposal tech hit by IED in Syria

Published: Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ 8:09 PM
Updated: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 9:55 PM

U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Kenton Stacy
U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Kenton Stacy

UPDATE @ 9:55 p.m. (Nov. 17)

U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Kenton Stacy is at a hospital in San Antonio, Texas, after he was struck by an improvised explosive device while clearing a hospital in Syria.

The 2002 Greenville High School graduate and father of four is an explosive ordnance technician. He was severely injured while assigned to the Operation Inherent Resolve campaign against ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

The Navy said they are working to provide further details about how he was injured.

Most of Stacy’s family is in Texas with him, including his wife, Lindsey, who also is a Greenville grad. His mother-in-law works for Greenville schools, but the district said she is with her family in Texas.

FIRST REPORT

A 2002 Greenville High School graduate earlier this month was severely wounded in action in the Middle East.

U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer Kenton Stacy was injured by an improvised explosive device, reportedly while clearing a hospital in Syria. 

The explosive ordnance disposal technician is part of Operation Inherent Resolve and is back in the United States receiving treatment. 

Stacy and his wife, Lindsey, also a Greenville grad, are parents to four children. They live in San Diego, Calif., where Stacy is stationed, our media partner the Early Bird Paper reported. 

Vice Chief of Naval Operations  Adm. Jonathan Greenert introduces Explosive Ordnance Disposal 2nd Class Kenton Stacy as the USO Sailor of the Year at the 2010 USO Gala. (Mass Communication Spc. 1st Class Jennifer A. Villalovos/U.S. Navy)

In October 2010, Stacy represented his branch of the military when he was presented with a USO Servicemember of the Year during a USO gala. At the time of his award, he had participated in more than 50 combat missions while deployed in Afghanistan. He destroyed IEDs, trained Afghan forces and U.S. Special Forces on route-clearing techniques. 

Operation Inherent Resolve has suffered 44 deaths, of which 30 were killed in action; and 239 service members were wounded in action, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. It is not clear whether the statistics include Stacy.

8 vehicles, 1 injury in 2 crashes on I-75 South in Dayton during rush hour

Published: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 7:05 PM

South 75 at Grand Ave Crash

Two separate vehicle accidents on I-75 South in Dayton during rush hour Friday evening sent one person to a hospital, left eight vehicles heavily damaged and clogged traffic. 

The accidents were reported between 5:45 p.m. and 6 p.m., according to Montgomery County Regional Dispatch. 

RELATED: Crashes along I-75 South in Dayton cause delays

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Crash on state Route 741 closes road several hours

The first accident, near the Stanley Avenue exit, involved a semitrailer and three passenger vehicles. No one was injured. 

Dayton police said a lane change apparently triggered the mashup. 

Traffic, at 6:30 p.m., was down to one lane. 

One person was taken to a hospital from the second accident, farther south state Route 4, which involved four passenger vehicles, police said. 

In that accident, the far left lane remained closed at 6:30 p.m.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Ohio 741 open, crews replace power pole after crash near Springboro

Published: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 3:43 PM
Updated: Friday, November 17, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

Crash closes SR 741 for hours

UPDATE @ 11:15 p.m.

Ohio 741 near Red Lion-Five Points Road is open to traffic after it was shut down for hours this evening.

A driver only had minor injuries, but the power pole the man hit was damaged beyond repair in the crash that happened around 2:30 p.m. The crash area was shut down while a Duke Energy crew replaced the utility pole. By 11 p.m., the roadway was back open.

UPDATE @ 4:45 p.m.

Those headed to the 5:30 p.m. Springboro High School boys basketball scrimmage, coming from south of Ohio 741 and Red Lion-Five Points Road, should use Interstate 75 to get to the game.

On northbound I-75, get off at the exit for state Route 73 (West Central Avenue) and go right on South Main Street (Ohio 741). Springboro High School will be on the right at 1675 S. Main St.

RELATED: See more trending stories on WHIO.com

For the latest traffic information, tune in to AM 1290 or News 95.7, or visit the WHIO traffic page.

UPDATE @ 4:17 p.m.

The Ohio Department of Transportation said state Route 741 will be shut down for six to seven hours longer near Red Lion-Five Points Road. Duke Energy is on scene repairing a pole and said the damages will take an extended time to fix. The driver was a man and not a student, according to authorities. 

The Springboro boys basketball team has a scrimmage scheduled tonight and drivers will need to find an alternate route to Springboro High School. 

FIRST REPORT

State Route 741 is currently closed due to a one car accident near Red Lion-Five Points Road just south of Springboro High School.

RELATED: See more trending stories on WHIO.com

The crash reportedly happened around 2:30 p.m. Friday afternoon when a driver hit an electric pole. The driver was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries according to the Clearcreek Township Fire Department. 

DOWNLOAD OUR FREE NEWS AND WEATHER APPS FOR OUR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

The pole was reportedly ripped in half and Duke Energy is on scene working to repair the damages. We will bring you the latest developments in this story.