Cold case project: 12-year-old boy’s death remains mystery 40 years later

Published: Thursday, February 07, 2013 @ 2:41 PM
Updated: Friday, February 08, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

On Jan. 25, 1973 Marvin Lee King, known as Beau went missing. A couple of days later his body was found in Springfield. It's been 40 years since his death and police still want help. Watch this video for details.


The anonymous phone calls warned that a man's body would be found in a ditch along West Possum Road.

It took Clark County sheriff's deputies four hours to find that body, which was in a field far from the road, and wasn't that of a man, but of a 12-year-old boy: Marvin Lee King, known as Beau. Forty years later, his slaying remains unsolved.

"There are things that haunt you," Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly said on Jan. 25, the 40th anniversary of the day investigators assume Beau died. "This was a child that was left out there and no child deserves to die like that."

The sheriff's office continues to investigate the case, and has recently turned over evidence to the Ohio Bureau of Investigation for forensic testing, Lt. Christopher Clark said.

Beau lived in the Rose Garden Mobile Home Park, off Upper Valley Pike, north of the Upper Valley Mall. An only child, he lived with his mother, Monica. His father lived in Florida, according to news reports at the time.

On Jan. 25, 1973, his mother was working at a local bar, the Bonfire, she told the Springfield Daily News in 1977. Beau called her that evening and she told him she was busy and would call him back. But when she tried, she got no answer. She sent a friend to check on him, but the friend found the trailer door ajar – and no sign of Beau. He had been baking cookies in the kitchen.

Monica left work early and had a friend drive her home. After she spoke to several neighbors, she said, she reported the boy missing. It was about 11:30 p.m.

There were no signs of a struggle, Clark said, and detectives learned that Beau had spoken with some neighbors that night and "everything seemed to be fine."

A neighbor reported seeing Beau get into a dark-colored car, "possibly a 1965 Chevrolet or Pontiac" the Springfield Daily News reported in 1973.

The following day, the anonymous calls started, some of them to a local church.

The last call was to sheriff's dispatch at 9:45 p.m., according to news reports.

Deputies found Beau's body just after 10 p.m. Jan. 26. He was fully clothed, except for a coat, and had been dead for 12 to 16 hours. The sheriff's office later said the boy had been strangled with a nylon clothesline.

Detectives had at least one suspect almost immediately. Then-Sheriff Harold M. Mills told reporters that a "material witness," a 35-year-old Springfield man, was being interrogated at the county jail. A second "material witness" was to be taken in for a polygraph test.

But no one was ever charged in connection with Beau's death.

Clark said detectives are still interested in some of the possible suspects identified at the time of Beau's death.

"It's not like we don't have anything to go on," he said.

Detectives lost contact decades ago with Monica King, a native of England, Clark said, and aren't in contact with any family members.

In 1977, his mother described Beau as an outgoing, friendly boy, possibly too trusting, who didn't understand death. On Beau's last day alive, his pet hamster died, and his mother had to talk with him about death, a conversation that she said haunted her.

Beau's death also haunted his classmates at Simon Kenton Elementary School, which he attended before moving to Northwestern Local Schools. Two former Simon Kenton classmates, Nikki Rice, who now lives in Sarasota County, Fla., and Leslie Freed, of Marin County, Calif., said their friends still talk about Beau when they get together.

When told of the boy's murder, Freed said, "I'm not sure I even knew what it meant."

"He was a thin kid, freckles with blond hair," Freed said. "He looked like Alfalfa from ‘The Little Rascals' but with blond hair. He always had a smile on his face, and was one of the nicest kids I knew in school and still to this day."

Freed said she had a crush on Beau and that "when I refer to people who have boyfriends, I refer to them as Beaus. To me that keeps his memory alive."

Anyone with information about the abduction and death of Beau King should call Clark County Sheriff's dispatch at 937-328-2560.

Lyft driver leads to child porn arrest, indictment

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 10:13 AM

MARVIN HEMPHILL
MARVIN HEMPHILL

A Lyft driver who found a cell phone loaded with child pornography in his vehicle after dropping off a client helped police make an arrest, according to court documents.

Marvin Hemphill, 27, of Valdosta, Georgia, was arrested Jan. 6 at the Staybridge Suites at Austin Landing and was indicted Wednesday on 24 charges connected to child pornography, according to court records.

OHIO NEWS: Columbus named finalist for second Amazon headquarters

According to court documents, Hemphill left his cell phone in the Lyft driver’s vehicle after receiving a ride from a Beavercreek restaurant where he worked.

The driver looked at the phone, attempting to determine the owner, and noticed the child pornography and alerted officers, court documents showed.

Police were able to link the phone to Hemphill, who allowed police to search it, and multiple child porn videos were found, the documents read.

Hemphill admitted to police that he knew he had the child porn on the phone and knew the people in the videos were juveniles, court records showed.

Hemphill is scheduled for his arraignment on Jan. 23.

Meet the 2017 winners of Dayton.com’s Best of Dayton poll

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 8:00 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 9:56 AM

Old Scratch Pizza gears up to expand

We know you’ve been waiting. 

After thousands of nominations, even more votes, and careful tallying, winners of the Dayton.com Best of 2017 poll were announced at 8 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 18.

With more than 100 categories, you’ll find winners from Best Burger and Best Pizza to Best Happy Hour and Best Bar Bathroom.

>> Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Food & Dining

>> Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Bars & Nightclubs

>> Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Outdoors, Lifestyle & Recreation

>> Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Culture, Music & Entertainment

>> Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Shopping & Services

Questions? Thoughts? Email Dayton.com editor Ashley Bethard at ashley.bethard@coxinc.com.

Dayton traffic from the WHIO traffic center

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 12:47 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 6:31 AM

SCENE: Crashes on SB I-75 near Wagner Ford

Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .

Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.

Major Highway Incidents

  • On southbound I-75 in the area of Stanley Avenue and Wagner Ford Road, two crashes were reported just before 6:30 a.m. The first crash reportedly involved three vehicles, and the second involves four vehicles. Traffic is backed up in the area. No injuries have been reported.

Surface Street Incidents

  • No incidents to report

>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter

>> RELATED: Check for delays or cancellations before heading to the airport

>> RELATED: Track the latest conditions in your neighborhood on our live WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Ongoing Construction & Other Closures 

Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.

Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map. 

MONTGOMERY COUNTY

  • Keowee Street north of Stanley Avenue, bridge closed until 2019. The official detour is: Keowee Street to Stanley Avenue to I-75 to Wagner Ford Road and back to Dixie. More information is available here.
  • Stewart Street Ramp to US 35 East, RAMP CLOSURE March 28 - Sept 30, 2018. The official detour is: Stewart Street to Edwin C. Moses Boulevard to I-75 north to US 35 west to James H. McGee Blvd. to US 35 east.
  • I-75 north Ramp to US 35 west and east, Lane width restriction until Apr. 1, 2018. One lane will remain open on the ramp with a width of 11 feet.

Your guide to Good Samaritan Hospital closing

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 6:27 AM

Good Samaritan closing its doors after decades of service

Premier Health announced Wednesday it will cease operations at Good Samaritan Hospital by the end of the year.

About 1,600 jobs will be moved to other positions within the company, and satellite locations in Englewood and Huber Heights will stay open.

Major services will be moved to Miami Valley Hospital, with the goal of avoiding duplication of services.

Here is everything you need to know about the hospital closure:

>> Premier Health to close Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton

>> Job outlook is promising for Good Samaritan employees, official says

>> Good Samaritan Hospital: Leaders saddened, concerned by closure

>> Good Samaritan Hospital closing: Former nurse recalls ‘small, friendly place’

>> Good Samaritan Hospital closing: Community angry, devastated, concerned

>> 5 things you need to know about Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton

>> Good Samaritan Hospital closing: What we know now

>> Good Samaritan closing: What will happen to other local hospitals?

>> Did you know the Dayton community helped build Good Samaritan Hospital?