log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 9:30 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
SPRINGFIELD — UPDATE @ 6 p.m.
Charges have been dropped against a juvenile, but an 18-year-old Springfield resident remains accused of shooting a man in the chest last week.
Elrashawn T. Dover, pleaded not guilty during his arraignment Sunday in Clark County Municipal Court. His bond was set at $250,000 and a public defender was appointed. He also was ordered to have no contact with the victim, should he post bail.
The victim was stepping out of his car shortly after 2 p.m. Jan. 8 in the 300 block of West Grand Avenue in Springfield. He told police he heard gunfire and then felt a gunshot to his chest, according to court documents.
"He said he grabbed his chest and could see blood on his hand," police say in court records.
The victim's brother then drove him to the Springfield Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the right side of his chest and was expected to recover, police said.
Court records showed the victim identified Dover as the shooter after reviewing a photo lineup.
Dover already was in the Clark County Jail on several unrelated charges.
Springfield police also arrested last week a male juvenile who a witness identified as involved in the shooting and booked him into juvenile detention on an attempted murder charge, according to court records.
Clark County prosecutors requested to dismiss the charges against the teen, which the juvenile judge granted.
"Right now everything is looking and pointing toward (Dover) and we dismissed at this point to give us more time to make sure whether the juvenile is involved or not," Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Bill Merrell said. "We don't know that yet."
Two people, including a juvenile, were arrested and charged with attempted murder in connection to a Jan. 8 shooting on West Grand Avenue in Springfield.
The victim was stepping out of his car in the 300 block of West Grand and heard gunshots and then felt a gunshot to his chest, court documents read.
Last Friday, the victim identified Elrashawn T. Dover, 18, as the person who shot him after reviewing a photo lineup, court records showed.
Police arrested the juvenile the day after the shooting and booked him into juvenile detention.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:03 PM
Two illegal immigrants from Mexico have been charged with intent to distribute several kilograms worth of fentanyl in Miami County, according to court documents.
Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria, 23, and Jesus Mayorga Gonzalez, 40, have been charged with possession and intent to distribute more than 400 grams of fentanyl in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.
A magistrate judge ruled Tuesday that both would remain detained during their case. Both are scheduled for a March 2 preliminary hearing.
Confidential sources told law enforcement that a residence at 5545 County Road 25A in Tipp City was being used by a drug trafficking organization with ties to Mexico, according to a criminal complaint and affidavit written by a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) special agent.
In January, Mayorga Gonzalez was stopped for speeding on Interstate 75 and provided false names for both defendants, according to the complaint.
The special agent wrote that, according to a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office detective assigned to a Homeland Security task force, Mayorga Gonzalez was the subject of a November 2016 seizure of nine kilograms (19.84 pounds) of heroin and $400,000.
“Specifically, during the prior investigation a cooperating witness stated that Mayorga Gonzalez was a coordinator f0r large amounts of heroin coming into the Dayton area and was also involved with the collection of large amounts of drug proceeds,” the special agent wrote. A prosecutor and defense attorney both said Tuesday that Mayorga Gonzalez was not arrested the 2016 case.
The affidavit said that the DEA obtained a search warrant earlier this month for the “target residence”and located Zapeda-Ibarria inside along with evidence.
The evidence mentioned included a hydraulic press, Tyvek suits, face masks and more than $150,000 cash, three kilograms of suspected fentanyl in the attic floor, a loaded handgun, scales and suspected drug cutting agents.
Mayorga Gonzalez was found with a key to the residence, according to the complaint, which stated that both men admitted to being in the country illegally.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 2:24 PM
BUTLER COUNTY — Two Wilson Middle School students will be back in court next month to appear before a juvenile judge on felony charges involving nude photos and video.
The 12-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl who are students in the Hamilton school were arrested earlier this month and charged with illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material.
According to police reports, the male student obtained pictures and a video of the female performing sex acts on herself. The male student then sent the material to other students via his cell phone.
The 12-year-olds were arraigned on Wednesday before a Butler County juvenile court magistrate, where no plea was entered, according to Rob Clevenger, court administrator. A pre-trial hearing before county juvenile court Judge Ronald Craft is scheduled for March 26.
At Wednesday’s hearing, the two defendants were ordered to be under supervision of court monitoring, have no cell phone or access to social media and use the internet for school purposes only.
Hamilton Sgt. Brian Robinson compared the charges the duo are facing to possessing or distributing child pornography.
“There is a big difference between this and sexting,” he said.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 9:30 AM
ROSS TWP. — Ross Township police are asking for information about shots fired Tuesday night.
At about 9 p.m., police received several calls from residents reporting gunfire in Ross and Hanover Townships, according to the department’s Facebook post.
Witnesses reported the gunshots were originating from a large, loud, black pickup truck roaming the area. Officers investigating the shots fired recovered several shell casings. No property damage has been reported and the truck was not located.
Published: Friday, January 26, 2018 @ 3:54 PM
Updated: Monday, January 29, 2018 @ 3:30 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 9:05 a.m. (Feb. 21):
Sentencing for Brandon Carr has been delayed until Mar. 8 at 9 a.m.
UPDATE @ 4:35 p.m. (Feb. 6):
Brandon Carr, 36, was found guilty Tuesday in the shooting death of Brittany Russell, prosecutor’s said.
Prosecutor’s said Carr was found guilty as charged. His sentencing is set for Feb. 21 at 9:45 a.m.
The man accused of shooting a Middletown mother to death in a car, where her 6-month-old daughter was discovered unharmed, is set for trial today.
Brandon Carr, 36, of Hamilton is charged with aggravated murder, murder, kidnapping, felonious assault, tampering with evidence, endangering children and having weapons under disability in connection to the killing of Brittany Russell, 29, of Middletown.
Russell’s body was found inside a vehicle in an apartment parking lot off Free Pike in Dayton in early February 2016.
Russell’s 6-month-old daughter was in the backseat of the vehicle, but was not harmed, authorities said.
The U.S. Marshal’s Southern Ohio Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team arrested Carr on March 14, 2017, at an address on Cornell Drive in Dayton.