log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, September 03, 2016 @ 5:53 PM
New details from Brock Turner’s interview with police officers illustrate that the sexual assailant and ex-Oakwood swimmer tried to negotiate with the bystanders who tackled him after he tried to run from the victim.
“Dude, let’s talk about this,” Turner recalled telling the bystanders, according to a 30-minute recording of the police interview, reviewed by WHIO-TV San Francisco affiliate KPIX-TV.
“Just let me go,” he said.
Two bystanders on bicycles stopped Turner during the assault at Stanford University, at which point he began “rapidly running away from” the female victim, records show. The two checked on the woman, found her unconscious and gave chase, tripping Turner and causing him to fall with a leg sweep.
“I thought it was really weird the guy thought I was raping the girl,” Turner told police, according to KPIX-TV.
He said, “My intentions were not to rape a girl. I was just trying to hook up with a girl.”
Prosecutors and the victim herself ardently disagreed with Turner’s account.
“To sit under oath and inform all of us, that yes I wanted it, yes I permitted it, and that you are the true victim attacked by guys for reasons unknown to you is sick, is demented, is selfish, is stupid,” the victim wrote. “It shows that you were willing to go to any length to discredit me, invalidate me, and explain why it was okay to hurt me.”
Photos taken after the assault and obtained this weekend by NBC News show Turner’s face covered in dirt, his hands red and marked. A police report reviewed by this news organization illustrates law enforcement characterized the dirt on his face and shirt “as if he had been in a physical struggle.”
Officers interviewed Turner after reading him his Miranda rights.
At one point, he said, “She seemed to enjoy it.”
An officer asked, according to KPIX-TV, “The decision to make out, was that a mutual thing?”
“Mmm hmm,” Turner replied.
The officer also asks, “At what point does she stop responding?”
“Well, we didn’t kiss the entire time,” Turner replied, before trailing off.
Turner later told the court he was too drunk to know that the woman was unconscious during his encounter with her.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 11:20 PM
CLAYTON — Crews are waiting on scene for DP&L to arrive to pull the meter on a house that was struck by lightning.
Firefighters responded to the lightning strike at the house on the 8000 block of Allison Avenue at 9:20 p.m. Monday.
According to Michael Seagraves of the Clayton fire department, lighting struck the house and back fed through the electrical meter, the panel and through the wires in the attic, causing heavy smoke.
Storms, heavy rain, lighting, hail and winds moved through the Miami Valley Monday, according to Stormcenter 7 Meteorologist McCall Vrydaghs.
DP&L need to pull the meter in the house so that it’s safe for crews to work on the house.
Residents were home at the time of the incident. Seagraves said the early notification saved the house.
It is too early to estimate the damages, but the home will need a complete wiring job, Seagraves said.
No one was hurt, but Red Cross may need be notified if the house is unsafe to stay in.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 4:31 AM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 11:30 PM
UPDATE @ 11:30 p.m.: The threat for severe weather has ended and the strong line of storms has exited to the east. A few more showers are likely to return by Tuesday morning. As temperatures fall, light snow may mix in by daybreak. Morning temperatures will fall into the upper 30s.
UPDATE @ 9:31 p.m.:
All severe thunderstorm warnings have expired. A strong line of storms continues to move through the Miami Valley. Although not severe, they can produce heavy rain, gusty winds and hail.
UPDATE @ 9:11 p.m.:
A strong line of storms is moving through the Miami Valley. Heavy rain, lightning, hail and gusty winds are possible. Some storms may reach severe limits with winds reaching 60 mph. Once this line moves east, a few showers may be leftover for the night.
There are reports of small hail in Clayton, Gratis and Englewood.
TUESDAY: Early scattered rain showers mixing with snow showers during the day, then changing to light passing snow showers before ending into the night. No snow accumulation expected. Temperatures will hold in the 30s through most of the day. Another blustery afternoon with winds gusting as high as 35mph. This will create wind chills in the 20s. Winds relax into the night and clouds break a bit with lows in the middle 20s.
WEDNESDAY: Partly sunny, blustery and cold for Wednesday with a few flurries possible. Highs in the middle 30s, but feeling like the 20s.
THURSDAY: A pleasant day expected for Thursday with mostly sunny skies and milder temperatures around 40 degrees.
FRIDAY: Lots of sunshine in the morning will give way to clouds through the day. A mild afternoon with highs around 50 degrees.
SATURDAY: Mostly cloudy with the chance for rain showers on Saturday. Breezy and mild with highs around 50 degrees.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 10:07 PM
Updated: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 12:24 AM
REGION — At midnight, there were still more than 5,600 reports of power outages in the region after thunderstorms Monday night boiled up quickly and delivered lightning that left more than 8,400 without power at one point.
Dayton Power & Light crews will be working through the night to restore power, said Kelly Millhouse, DP&L operations director.
At 12:15 a.m. (Jan. 23), the Dayton Power & Light online outage map was showing the following:
Darke 1,228 (most south and east of Greenville)
Montgomery 637 (most in the area just north of I-70 West)
Miami 363 (most in the area of the Phoneton community)
Shelby 308 (most just south of Sidney)
Greene 122 (most just south of Beavercreek)
Champaign 70 (most east of Urbana)
Clark and Clinton 2 each
First Energy’s online outage map was showing:
Duke Energy's online outage map was reporting:
Hail was reported in Tipp City, Monroe Twp., Bellbrook, Englewood, Gratis and Clayton.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 7:54 PM
DAYTON — With God’s Grace, a nonprofit food pantry was approved to operate again after a solution was met during a zoning administrative meeting Monday.
The pantry, located at 622 Springfield St., will begin operations Jan. 31 under new plans.
“When I came out of the meeting, I felt relieved because I know that we got a solution. Our families are still going to be fed knowing that we’re right here in the food desert since the Food 4 Less happened. These families are not going to go without,” Executive Director Nicole Adkins said following her meeting with city officials.
According to Adkins, parking, a neighborhood concern, will change.
A new parking lot layout will be submitted for approval to the Board of Zoning Appeals on Feb. 27 to get their variance approved for their plans of the new staging areas.
With God’s Grace was ordered to stop operating earlier this month by the city of Dayton because it did not have the required occupancy certificates. City officials said the pantry caused issues with lines outside and visitors parking haphazardly.