log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, September 21, 2017 @ 4:55 AM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — With hurricanes pummeling the U.S. Gulf Coast and the Caribbean, C-17 transport jets have lifted off at Wright-Patterson headed to disaster zones to drop off troops and hundreds of tons of relief aid.
The Air Force Reserve 445th Airlift Wing flew nearly 200 passengers and 332 tons of cargo on a total of five missions to Florida, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands after Hurricane Irma churned through the Atlantic and tore through the islands before slamming into Florida this month. Before the massive storm struck, a Wright-Patt C-17 Globemaster III picked up a helicopter in Florida and flew it to Georgia on another mission.
After Hurricane Harvey barreled into Texas and unleashed record rains that caused widespread flooding, displacing thousands, the wing flew three C-17 missions. The flights carried 130 passengers and 345 tons of cargo to the Lone Star state last month, according to Lt. Col. Cynthia Harris, wing spokeswoman.
The crews have hauled food, water, cots and equipment along with troops sent to the disaster zones.
“The relief efforts are actually going to take a while,” said Maj. Mike Shampine, a C-17 pilot and a 445th Airlift Wing flight operations officer at Wright-Patterson. “As more and more hurricanes (are) battering the area, we’re going to have to keep our resupply effort to get back up to speed.”
The airlift wing is on standby for possibly more relief flights if needed after Hurricane Maria churned into Puerto Rico as a Category 4 storm Wednesday. The last flight was Monday.
“’We actually have crews standing by basically waiting on a call to launch on short notice,” said Master Sgt. Todd Gnat, who works to coordinate missions.
The wing has canceled training and shuffled plane schedules to respond to the demand. Gnat said.
Crew members have asked to be part of the relief flights since Hurricane Harvey targeted Texas, officials said.
“As soon as people saw the hurricane coming in there, a lot of people called in ahead of time to volunteer their efforts,” Shampine said.
The Dayton Daily News and WHIO-TV reported on one of the relief flights to Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., last week.
Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 @ 6:04 PM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — A real-life Top Gun is scheduled to be at a screening of Top Gun 3D at the Air Force Museum Theatre.
Retired Navy Capt. Ken Ginader, a former Top Gun instructor and F-14 pilot, was set to speak at the screening of film, set for 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15. Doors open at 6 p.m.
Ginader is the first speaker in the 2018 Living History Film Series at the museum.
Tickets cost $12 for audience members, or $10 for members of Friends of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.
For more information, click onto http://www.afmuseum.com/livinghistory .
MORE WRIGHT-PATT NEWS
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:22 PM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — If you heard a loud noise today at Wright-Patterson, it was all part of training, a base spokesman says.
The Dayton Daily News and News Center 7 were contacted by residents inquiring what was the cause of the explosion.
A Wright-Patterson Explosive Ordnance Disposal bomb squad was scheduled to set off three explosions between noon and 4 p.m. Wednesday, according to base spokesman Daryl Mayer.
The unit periodically sets off explosions in training which are often heard outside the base.
Published: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 4:49 PM
WASHINGTON — As he scanned the names of the past winners of the Peabody award for broadcast journalism, Reed Smith, a professor of journalism at Georgia Southern University, came across the name Cecil Brown of CBS and admitted he “had never heard of him before.”
It began a four-year effort by Smith that culminated last November in the release of his book, “Cecil Brown: The Murrow Boy Who Became Broadcasting’s Crusader for Truth.” It’s the story of an Ohio State University student from 1929 who reached the pinnacle of broadcast journalism during World War II and the era of Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s.
Smith became fascinated with Brown’s story and it is easy to see why. As a CBS Radio broadcaster in Singapore in December 1941 he nearly lost his life when Japanese torpedo bombers sank the British battlecruiser Repulse in the South China Sea. Brown was a correspondent on the Repulse.
His gripping minute-by-minute account of the disaster for CBS, which also included the destruction of the British battleship Prince of Wales, earned him the Peabody award and transformed him into one of the best-known correspondents of World War II.
“There were upwards of a thousand sailors who died during that attack,” Smith said. “He was not wounded during attack and fortunately was able to get off the ship. A British sailor reached out in the water off a Carley Float and grabbed him. Cecil thought he had just about had it. It was pretty miraculous.”
Brown also was known for his legendary battles with Italian and British censors in World II as they tried to block or alter his broadcasts, prompting Smith to describe Brown as “very feisty. He was a big First Amendment guy and he became quite exasperated when anybody tried to curtail his freedom of the press.”
For Smith, 68, it was a case of one Ohio man meeting another. Smith, a graduate of Ohio University who earned an M.A. from Bowling Green and then a Ph.D from Ohio University, grew up in New Concord. Brown, who died in 1987, was raised in Warren, married a woman from Columbus who is still alive in Los Angeles at age 104.
He left Ohio State nine hours short of a degree in 1929 and worked as a reporter for a number of years before Edward R. Murrow hired him at CBS Radio in 1940 and assigned him to cover the war from Rome.
Brown reported in an entirely different era than today when journalists are under relentless attacks from President Donald Trump and many conservatives.
Published: Thursday, February 15, 2018 @ 5:30 PM
WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE — A new $10.5 million gateway that will consolidate two Wright-Patterson entrances into one is set to begin construction next month, a base spokesman says.
A new Gate 26A, a few hundred yards from the current one, would replace a commercial delivery entrance at Gate 16A off Ohio 444, and the existing Gate 26A off Ohio 235 near the entrance to the 445th Airlift Wing headquarters.
The new entrance way off Ohio 235 will be sited between Sandhill Road and Circle Drive, according to Wright-Patterson spokesman Daryl Mayer.
Work was scheduled for completion at the end of next year, the base said.
MORE WRIGHT-PATT NEWS