Published: Thursday, June 30, 2016 @ 1:49 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 30, 2016 @ 1:49 PM
Staying with the story
The Springfield News-Sun has written extensively about red-light cameras, including changes to state law, the city’s legal challenge and crash rates at intersections with the devices.
By the numbers
$3.4 million: Collected from citations during life of the red-light camera program.
77,000: Citations issued by the Springfield red light camera program since it started in 2006.
17: Red light cameras at 10 intersections.
SPRINGFIELD — The Ohio Supreme Court will consider Springfield’s challenge to red light camera laws, weighing city leaders’ argument that the new regulations violate their local authority.
The city of Springfield and several other cities sued after state lawmakers approved new regulations requiring police officers to be present at intersections with red light cameras in order to issue tickets.
“Our issue is that it’s a local decision to be made as to whether they are effective safety tools in each community,” Springfield Law Director Jerry Strozdas said.
Springfield’s argument against the law was rejected by a Clark County judge last year and the city lost an appeal in March. The city then appealed to the supreme court earlier this year.
>>RELATED: Springfield loses red light camera lawsuit, will appeal to supreme court
The entry signed by Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor on Wednesday says the supreme court will consider the case on two points:
• Whether a municipal ordinance that establishes an automated system for civil enforcement of statewide traffic laws is a valid exercise of self-government under the Ohio Constitution.
• Whether cities must comply with a state statute that has the principal purpose and effect of limiting municipal authority.
The Ohio Attorney General’s office will be prepared to respond, spokesman Dan Tierney said.
“We’re defending the laws passed by the state of Ohio but we’ll respond in kind in court on this pending litigation,” Tierney said.
There’s no typical timetable for when the case will be heard, Strozdas said.
The Dayton case has similar issues with the law, but they’re different than Springfield, Strozdas said. Springfield’s case won’t be heard until after the Dayton is case is decided, he said.
Other cities and organizations have filed briefs supporting Springfield’s position, including Toledo and Dayton, as well as the Ohio Municipal League. It’s possible a joint presentation could be made, Strozdas said.
“It’s all up to the judges of the court,” he said.
The red light cameras in Springfield were shut off last year after the new regulations went into effect. The city had issued about 77,000 citations as part of the program between 2006 and 2015, collecting about $3.4 million in fines.
Under the new law, the city estimated it would have to hire at least 42 officers to run its 17 cameras at 10 intersections.
“We’re pleased that the court thought our case was worthy of its time and attention,” Strozdas said. “We look forward to presenting it to them when that time comes.”
Since the cameras have been shut off, traffic data shows crashes haven’t increased at those intersections. Crashes at the 10 intersections with cameras were cut in half during the life of the city’s program — from 90 crashes in 2007 to 44 in 2014. In the 13 months since they were turned off, 45 crashes occurred through April 30.
Red-light cameras have long divided Springfield residents.
The devices are no longer needed, Springfield resident Lisa Ratliff said on Thursday.
“It’s just a waste of the taxpayers’ money,” Ratliff said.
The red light cameras improve safety and eliminate the need for a police officer at each intersection, Springfield resident John McCombs said Thursday. He’d like to see them turned back on.
Published: Thursday, January 04, 2018 @ 10:35 AM
SPRINGBORO — The Springboro City Council tonight approved, with conditions, rezoning and the general plan for 2.3 acres at 1360 S. Main Street in Springboro.
The housing development, to be known as Streamside at Heatherwoode, had been opposed by residents of the 212-home Heatherwoode community.
RELATED: Heatherwoode residents oppose neighboring residential development
The land for the proposed development is just north of the entrance to Heatherwoode, which features the city-owned golf course.
The proposed development’s property owners, the Daniel Family Trust, want to develop a 7-lot subdivision.
MORE: Latest Springboro area news
Staff and the planning commission have recommended approval.
On Thursday, the council - except Mayor John Agenbroad, who recused himself because he lives across Main Street, Ohio 741 in Springboro, from the development area - discussed the issue before the formal meeting to consider issues that included the association formed to represent the residents of the development and liability for its maintenance.
Heatherwoode residents have expressed concern about the new homeowners being represented by a separate homeowners association.
As a condition of approval, the council required the developer to work out questions about the homeowners association before breaking ground.
Follow Lawrence Budd on Twitter
City Manager Chris Pozzuto also emphasized that the developer would need to meet other guidelines before winning permission to begin construction.
The conditional approval was passed by council after a work session but before arrival of the developer’s representatives and all but one of the Heatherwoode residents attending the meeting.
Published: Thursday, January 04, 2018 @ 8:54 AM
DAYTON — The race to fill an open seat on the Montgomery County Commission is taking shape.
Bill DeFries, who pledged not to air NFL games this year in his Beavercreek restaurant because of players’ national anthem protests, will formally announce today he’s running as a Republican for an open seat on the Montgomery County Commission in November.
Earlier this week, Montgomery County Treasurer Carolyn Rice, put into a Facebook post her intentions to replace fellow Democrat, Dan Foley, who is not running for re-election.
RELATED: Dan Foley won’t run again for Montgomery County commission
As of Wednesday, petitions had been obtained from the Montgomery County Board of Elections by four other Republicans, current Miami Twp. Trustee Doug Barry of Miamisburg, Greg Hart of Oakwood, Bob Matthews of Miamisburg and Joshua Smith of Dayton.

In addition to Rice, Daryl Ward, senior pastor of Omega Baptist Church, is the only other Democrat to signal an intention to run for the four-year term that begins in January 2019.
DeFries, who is launching his campaign today with an 11 a.m. event at the Engineer’s Club in Dayton, said a major concern for him is the county’s finances.
“I really believe in order to have a thriving community we need stronger fiscal management,” said DeFries, who lives in Clayton and owns Copp Integrated Systems as well as the Beef O Brady’s restaurant. “The county is facing some major shortfalls this year, and they need to pull their budget back and make some tough choices.”

MORE: Area restaurant boycotting NFL games draws large crowd
Rice of Kettering said her leadership as county treasurer for 11 years has helped the county weather an economic storm and foreclosure crisis.
“I have experienced firsthand the problems the county has faced due to the Great Recession as well as decisions made in Washington, D. C. and Columbus that have a local impact,” she wrote on Facebook. “Through it all, Montgomery County has been governed well and positive momentum has been made on numerous fronts.”
Rice also unveiled a campaign logo and has scheduled a Jan. 10 launch fundraiser at a Dayton law firm.

Bob Matthews, a former Miami Twp. trustee, ran a close race in 2016 against current Montgomery County Commissioner Judy Dodge. He said the lack of an incumbent this year could help put a Republican on the board for the first time in more than a decade.
Ward of Dayton said last month he is running because he wants to bring people together.
“I have no history of being a politician or elected official, but I do believe I can bring a fresh voice rooted in common sense to how we meet the challenges of our community,” he said.
Published: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 @ 12:55 PM
LEBANON — Warren County’s sale tax increased 0.25 percent, effective Jan. 1, bringing the overall rate to 7 percent.
The increase was approved last year by the Warren County Board of Commissioners to help pay off debt on a new county jail within five years, rather than pay the cost of financing the debt over a longer period.
RELATED: Tea party watching Warren County sales tax increase for jail
“This nominal sales tax increase sets Warren County’s sales tax rate to match the border counties of Hamilton and Preble as well as the adjacent regional shopping district in Butler County known as Liberty Center, and is still lower than the 7.25 percent rate in Montgomery County,” according to a press release issued in July when the commissioners approved the tax increase.
MORE: Ohio county sales tax rates
Montgomery County’s rate includes 5.75 percent in state sales tax, a 1 percent county tax and 0.5 percent for the Greater Dayton Transit Authority.
Warren County expects to raise $10 million a year through the 0.25 percent increase.
EARLIER:Warren County seeks sales tax increase to pay for jail
“With this in mind, the Board also approved a 1.5-mill property tax reduction in the levy collected for the Warren County Board of Developmental Disabilities with the intention of maintaining the rollback through the duration of the sales tax increase used to pay for the jail financing,” according to the July press release issued to announce the tax hike.
On Tuesday, Warren County was still finalizing a contract with the architect and the selection process for the construction manager for the jail project.
EARLIER: Warren County weighs tax hikes to pay for new jail
“Hopefully, we’ll have things a lot more locked up by the end of the month or shortly thereafter,” Deputy Administrator Martin Russell said.
Shoppers are already paying the higher rate, but revenues from the sales-tax increase aren’t expected to show up until later this year.
“The sales tax comes in about three months in arrears,” Russell said.
Russell said he calculated that the 7 percent was in place when he made a purchase at the Premium Outlets Mall in Monroe on Monday.
The Ohio Department of Taxation notified vendors of the increase in November, according to Gary Gudmundson, spokesman for the department.
“That gives them time to make the adjustments to their equipment, their systems,” Gudmundson said.
Consumers might not notice the increase.
Published: Monday, January 01, 2018 @ 12:00 AM
Updated: Friday, December 29, 2017 @ 4:28 PM
DAYTON — The city of Dayton ended 2017 with at least 121 incendiary fires, which is more than the city had in 2015 when it was one of the highest in the nation.
In 2015, Dayton had the seventh highest per capita arson rate in the country among cities with populations of at least 100,000 residents, according to federal data analyzed by this newspaper.
The FBI has not released 2016 arson data for U.S. cities, but the number of incendiary fires in Dayton has remained steady for multiple years.
Incendiary fires are deliberately set in an area or under circumstances in which the responsible party knows a fire should not be ignited, which includes arsons.
The Dayton Fire Department has focused on increasing contacts with potential witnesses of arson crimes to try to identify firestarters and bring them to justice, and officials plan to try to use social media to better share and collect information.
The “Dayton Fire Department endeavors to reduce the impact of arson crime in the city of Dayton by maintaining an average of three reliable witness contacts per investigation,” Dayton Fire Chief Jeff Payne said last month.
RELATED: 3 kids charged for arson, adult charged for allegedly telling them to lie
The Dayton Fire Department responded to about 386 structure fires through the end of November, the city said.
The fire investigation unit probed about 200 fire incidents and determined about 121 were incendiary, the city said.
That compares to 122 fires that were ruled incendiary in 2016 and 120 in 2015. The number of incendiary fires for 2017 is through early December, and the final tally may be higher.
In 2015, Dayton had about 62 arsons per 100,000 residents, which was the seventh highest rate among cities with populations of at least 100,000 people (290 cities meet that criteria), the FBI data show.
Among cities with populations of at least 50,000 residents, Dayton’s arson rate was 14th highest (out of 764 U.S. cities).
Dayton has a large number of vacant properties, which tend to attract arsonists and trespassers who may start fires to keep warm or for other reasons.
On the bright side, incendiary fires in 2016 and 2017 are trending below Dayton’s four-year average between 2012 and 2015, which was 132. fires annually, according to the fire department.
An investigation has determined that the massive Nov. 10 blaze at the Hewitt Soap factory in east Dayton was deliberately set, officials said.
Brett Houseman, whose family owns the property, says the factory has been a popular target of metal scrappers, vandals and squatters.
The blaze was the largest fire in the city since another building in the complex caught fire in December 2016, officials said.
RELATED: Dayton investigators work to pinpoint cause of Hewitt Soap factory fire
Incendiary fires involving commercial properties often grow to be large and dangerous blazes that put firefighters’ safety and nearby structures at risk and can leave behind burnt-out shells of buildings that are vexing neighborhood eyesores.
The fire at the soap factory required a massive response. Six of the fire department’s eight engines responded.
Houseman said it’s unfortunate that firefighters are having to put their lives on the line to battle blazes that were deliberately set or set by squatters who wanted to keep warm.
“I think it’s a real problem,” he said.
This year, investigators concluded that individuals intentionally set fire to eight commercial properties as well as 65 residential properties, 19 garages or sheds and five vehicles, according to city data.
There were two dozen arson fires that were listed as “other” or “type not reported.”
The factory fire last month was to a building that was used for storage. The factory closed more than a decade ago.
Firefighters did not enter the factory building for safety reasons because the structure was at risk of collapsing.
Demolition crews were later called out to knock down unstable portions of the building.
RELATED: 5 things to know about historic soap factory fire in December 2016
This year, the fire department plans to employ new technology to try and combat arson crime.
Strategies include using social media in the hopes of improving communication with the public and getting people to report tips about arson incidents and suspects, said Chief Payne.
The fire department has set a goal of making contact with at least three witnesses at every suspected arson scene to try to solve more arson crimes.
“We expect the difference in increased citizen contacts to lead to more information developed about specific incidents, increased awareness of the citizens of our unit’s efforts and ultimately more arrests for the crime of arson in the city,” fire officials said in a statement to this newspaper.
Witnesses are helpful for every type of fire, regardless of cause, and the more information fire investigators have, the more effectively they can process fire scenes and try to identify the people responsible for intentional fires, fire officials said.
The Dayton Fire Department asks anyone with information about suspicious fires to contact their tip line at 937-333-TIPS or at daytonohiofire.com and click the scrolling link on the home page that says how to report arson.
Dayton ranked seventh in the nation per capita for arsons in 2015
Cities with the most arsons (per 100,000 residents):
1. Cincinnati, 147
2. Detroit, Mich., 125
3. Bakersfield, Calif., 91
4. St. Louis, Mo., 70
5. Birmingham, Ala., 68
6. Buffalo, N.Y., 67
7. Dayton, 62
8. Baton Rouge, La., 62
9. Pittsburgh, Pa., 56
10.Rochester, N.Y., 51
Source: FBI data
Note: Rankings are for cities with populations of at least 100,000 residents
Please confirm the information below before signing in.