log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 @ 12:40 PM
— The Dayton area is losing one of its oldest continuously operating family-owned Asian restaurants later this month — although there’s a strong chance it will resurface in 2018 in a new location.
The Flying Tiger Chinese Restaurant at 60 S. Broad St. in Fairborn is preparing to shut down on July 23, Richard and Jennifer Liu, the son and daughter of the restaurant’s founders, told this news outlet in separate interviews this morning. Both siblings said there is a strong possibility they will look to open a new Flying Tiger restaurant after taking a break of at least six months.
The restaurant opened in the late 1980s.
A firm representing a franchisee for Burger King has submitted plans to open a new Burger King restaurant on the Broad Street property. Plans that include a drive-through were approved unanimously last night, July 11, by the Fairborn planning board, according to Michael Gebhart, Fairborn’s assistant city manager. The proposed plans are on Fairborn City Council’s agenda next week, Gebhart said.
A rumor has circulated in Fairborn and on social media that the city had played a part in forcing Flying Tiger out. Both Richard and Jennifer Liu said that is simply not true.
“This was a mutual agreement between us and Burger King, which was interested in our lot,” Jennifer Liu said this morning in a phone interview. “Our family wanted to scale down — this is a huge, 5,000-square-foot restaurant. My mom is in her late 70s and needs to retire.”
Gebhart also said the city played no role in the purchase of the restaurant, and noted that Jennifer Liu spoke publicly in favor of the Burger King application. Fairborn City Manager Rob Anderson spoke in a Facebook Live from the restaurant earlier this week describing the family’s desire to scale back.
The family will take a break and explore Asian cuisines here and elsewhere in anticipation of re-inventing and updating a new Flying Tiger sometime next year, Jennifer Liu said. Her brother Richard said he is looking forward to spending time with his family, including his 9-year-old son, before turning his attention to the possibility of launching a new Flying Tiger.
>>CHEAP EATS: Yumtastic Asian grub at Dayton restaurant
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 7:11 AM
TROY — Troy will be hosting Tour de Donut for the second time this August.
The inaugural event in Troy last year brought 2,300 riders, and went through 14,000 donuts.
“The best part is when the cyclists start lining up, there are some just out for fun, but a lot of them are serious cyclists,” said Diana Thompson from the Miami County Visitor’s Bureau. “It’s wall to wall bicycles, singles and tandems.”
Organizers expect about 3,000 participants this year.
Tour de Donut has been running for 12 years in Illinois. It’s a unique bicycle event in which riders visit several donut stops along the course. For each donut the rider eats, and keeps down, five minutes will be deducted from their time.
That’s right — the more donuts a rider eats, the faster their time is.
The event has partnered with Be the Match this year as their official charity partner.
“It was a perfect match,” said Tour de Donut organizer Roger Bowersock. “We try to add something new every year.”
Be the Match is putting on its Bukeye Donut Dash, a 5k beginning in downtown Troy. The Buckeye Donut Dash raises funds to help patients in need of a bone marrow transplant.
“This is a big partnership, everybody wins,” Thompson said. “Because the Tour be Donut has so many followers, many more have donated (to Be the Match).”
The run and the bike event will begin simultaneously, then go their separate ways. All runners and cyclists will then merge back together on Market Street Bridge.
Riders have a choice of riding a 16-mile, 32-mile and 64-mile course through Miami County.
“Our event is casual, it is a lot of fun,” Bowersock said. “It’s something you have to experience to really understand. Most of the people who do it come back.”
Bowersock said the organization will start inviting donut shops in March to compete to be a special stop on the trail, “the Glazer.”
The Glazer serves riders an “over-the-top, overstuffed with goo, etc.” donut worth a 10-minute time reduction. The winning donut shop will be picked at the Troy Strawberry Festival in June.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 10:06 PM
— The fireball lit up the sky Tuesday just after 8 p.m.
The dashboard cam video was shared by Mike Austin as he was driving north on I-75 near Bloomfield Hills, north of Detroit, Michigan.
The fireball was also seen from northwest Ohio and southwest Ontario, Canada.
It is not known whether the meteorite dissipated in the atmosphere or made it to the ground or into Lake Michigan.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:06 AM
PULLMAN, Wash. — Police in Pullman, Washington, say officers have found Washington State University quarterback Tyler Hilinski dead Tuesday in an apartment with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
At about 4:30 p.m., officers responded to an apartment to check on the welfare of a football player who did not show up for practice earlier in the day.
When officers arrived, they found Hilinkski, 21, deceased with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Police said a rifle was recovered next to Hilinski and a note was found.
Washington State president Kirk Schulz tweeted, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hilinski family.”
Former Washington State linebackers coach Roy Manning, who recently left for a position at UCLA, tweeted , “Words can’t describe what I’m feeling right now. My heart is beyond saddened. Please pray for the family and all of us affected!”
Hilinski, from Claremont, Calif., recently finished his redshirt sophomore season for the Cougars.
He started in place of Senior Luke Falk in the Cougars loss to Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl.
Hilinski played 11 games in his Cougars career, passing for 1,149 yards and seven touchdowns.
Hilinski was the presumptive starting quarterback going into next season.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 10:31 PM
KINGS MILLS, Warren County — Changes are being promised for Kings Schools in the wake of last week’s racist incident that drew national attention, but Tuesday evening district officials said details about those changes will come later.
That was the message from Kings’ leader and school board members, who took the resignation of their board vice president in the wake of some white, local teens wearing basketball jerseys that displayed racist slurs.
The Kings Board of Education voted 4-0 to formally accept the resignation of member Kerry McKiernan, who previously cited his own failure in stopping some of the boys on the recreational league basketball team – not affiliated with Kings -- from wearing jerseys with names that appeared to slur African-Americans.
The names on the backs of the jerseys included "Knee Grow" and "Coon." The team played in the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League.
McKiernan, whose son played on the now banned team that used Kings’ facilities, did not attend Tuesday’s board meeting and has not responded to requests for comment.
Last week McKiernan emotionally announced his intentions to resign, citing his failure to stop the team from wearing the jerseys during its first four games.
Superintendent Tim Ackermann told this news outlet he will soon be proposing systemic changes design to raise student, school staffers and community members’ awareness of the importance of racial and other diversity for the predominately white Warren County district.
“It’s really important to move forward and sustainable change is extremely important to us so that we can work to create a more loving, acceptable tolerant society,” said Ackermann. “We believe this is a community and societal issue around racism … intolerance, hate and bigotry and we all need to work together to make Kings the best place for all of our kids.”
He declined, however, to give details as to what district efforts are coming, saying the changes are still being studied.
“I don’t want to create something just to create something. Sustainable change doesn’t happen overnight,” said Ackermann.
Tom Squires, an African-American parent at Kings, was among the more than a dozen residents who attended the board meeting.
Afterward, Squires said the jersey incident, which has drawn national media attention, was “unfortunate.”
“We didn’t pay that close of attention as parents and we should have. We have to react swiftly and we have to make sure that people understand that this is not a district that condones that kind of thing,” said Squires, who has lived in the Deerfield Twp. school community for more than a decade.
“When you make a mistake you have to make sure you correct that mistake. Sometimes it’s not always fast but we have to make sure we make the right correction,” he said.
“This thing (reaction to the incident) is still evolving so it’s kind of hard for me to be critical of the district. They are still trying to make the correction and I think we should give them the opportunity to do so,” said Squires.
Under Ohio school law, the board now has until Feb. 9 to appoint a new board member and agreed during its meeting to accept applications until 4 p.m. on Jan. 24.
Applications will soon be available on the Kings Schools website.