breaking news


UPDATE: Upscale local nightclub shuts down after more than 13 years

Published: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

Vue Ultra Lounge had been operating for more than 13 years

A dance club and bar that has operated east of the Dayton Mall for nearly 14 years has shut its doors for good.

Vue Ultra Lounge at 1004 Miamisburg-Centerville Road (Ohio 725) in Washington Twp. had two blowout parties over New Year’s Eve weekend — its finale was dubbed “Vue Year’s Eve” — to let customers say goodbye.

ALSO NEW TODAY: Beavercreek restaurant shuts down after 13 years

We reached out to Vue’s owners via Facebook, and they confirmed the closure.

The entrance to Vue Ultra Lounge, which shut down Tuesday after a New Year’s Eve Party. MARK FISHER/STAFF(Staff Writer)

Here’s the full text of their reply:

“VUE did have it’s last day on VUE Year’s Eve, and a huge celebration on Saturday Dec. 30, where tons of old friends and staff came together for one last hoorah.”

“It is certainly bittersweet. However, Vue has had such a huge impact on so many people throughout its thirteen-and-a-half-year run that in the end, there is no sadness. Heck, even the Kentucky derby winner gets put to pasture eventually.”

ALSO NEW TODAY: Dress like Elvis, eat for free at 3 local restaurants

“Whether VUE is the place some met their significant other, shared their first kiss (maybe divorced because of here), or simply just got drunk, VUE will remain in the hearts of many. Cheers to everyone who was a part of this Dayton staple for so many years.”

Vue’s popular RADS Bloody Mary Mix will live on and will be “coming to a store near you soon,” the club’s owners said.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Enjoy this tasty treat from Vue Ultra Lounge (April 2013)

The club gained a following relatively quickly after its opening in mid-2004. It tied with the Dublin Pub in “The 2006 Best of Dayton People’s Choice Awards” voting in the “Best Bar” category.

Kucinich enters governor’s race with call to “reclaim” the state and bring back Democrats who voted for Trump

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 11:36 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 5:36 PM

Kucinich says state must stop giving tax breaks to wealthy

Former U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich told local Democrats that it is time to reclaim Ohio and start spending state resources on things that help everyone rather than tax cuts for the wealthy.

“I’m in the position to get in the game and say, ‘Look, this changes. We have to be fair to all Ohioans,’” said Kucinich, speaking to the South Dayton Democratic Club on Wednesday after announcing he is running for governor in the Democratic primary.

“We can’t meet our health care needs, our education needs, we cannot rebuild this state if all we’re doing is taking resources of the state and giving it to a select few that already is very wealthy.”

Kucinich, a former mayor of Cleveland, announced he would join the already-crowded Democratic field during a Wednesday rally at Middleburg Heights in Cuyahoga County.

He pledged to focus on fighting poverty and violence and to promote economic opportunity the arts and education, according to the Associated Press.

Later he traveled to Columbus and then spoke to the South Dayton Democratic Club at the West Carrollton branch of the Dayton Metro Library. 

Kucinich outlined his plans to raise the minimum wage, improve infrastructure and establish a non-profit broadband internet public utility.

“I could win this election. I may be the only Democrat who can win because I have the ability to reach out, because I don’t polarize. Because I know the aspirations of people without regard to party,” Kucinich said during an interview after he spoke to Democrats at the West Carrollton branch of the Dayton Metro Library.

Kucinich, who ran unsuccessfully for president in 2004 and 2008, believes he can bring Democrats who voted for President Donald Trump back to the fold.

Kucinich says he can win race for governor

RELATED: Ex-Congressman Dennis Kucinich to launch bid for governor

“When I look at my own congressional district the Democrats who went for Trump were concerned about trade, were concerned about war, were concerned about corruption in the government and the Democratic Party lost them. I can reach back to them and bring them back,” Kucinich said.

Democratic candidate Connie Pillich welcomes Kucinich to the race, said Eric Goldman, campaign manager for Pillich, a former state representative from Cincinnati.

“With that said, there is nothing in Kucinich's record that would demonstrate an appeal to Trump voters, swing voters, or disaffected Republicans,” Goldman said. “The Connie Pillich-Scott Schertzer team is the only Democratic ticket in this primary that has a history of appealing to voters from across the aisle and a track record of winning tough campaigns.”

Kucinich, 71, lost his congressional seat in 2012 to U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-Toledo, after the Republican redistricting of 2011 put the two Democrats in the same district. He enters the governor’s race relatively late but has been traveling the state over the last year denouncing public funding for charter schools and in support of state Issue 2, the prescription drug ballot issue that failed in November.

RELATED: Kucinich goes after charter schools in Dayton area visit

With the Feb. 7 filing deadline for the May 8 primary approaching, the Democratic and Republican fields are solidifying.

Last week Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley withdrew from the Democratic primary and threw her support behind Richard Cordray, former director of the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and a former Ohio treasurer and attorney general. Cordray’s running mate is former U.S. Rep. Betty Sutton of Akron.

Richard Cordray and Betty Sutton

RELATED: Dayton Mayor Whaley drops out of governor’s race

Also in the race are Pillich of  Cincinnati, and her running mate and Marion mayor, Schertzer; state Sen. Joe Schiavoni of Boardman, who is running with Ohio Board of Education member Stephanie Dodd; and Ohio Supreme Court Justice Bill O’Neill, whose running mate is Chantelle E. Lewis, a Lorain elementary school principal.

RELATED: O’Neill’s boast of sexual liaisons brings calls for his resignation

Mike DeWine and Jon Husted

The ballot is less crowded on the Republican side where Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and his running mate, Secretary of State Jon Husted, are opposed by Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor and running mate Nathan Estruth, a Cincinnati businessman.

“We welcome Mr. Kucinich to the race. Our campaign looks forward to taking on whichever Democrat emerges from their crowded primary,” said Ryan Stubenrauch, campaign spokesperson for DeWine/Husted. “Mike DeWine and Jon Husted have the vision and plan to lead Ohio boldly into the future bringing more high-paying jobs, solving the opioid crisis and securing economic prosperity for all of Ohio.”

See more stories by Lynn Hulsey

U.S. Senate candidates Renacci and Brown spar over Trump’s comment about immigrants

Ohio Republican Senate race battle of multimillionaires

Ohio could have two redistricting proposals on ballots this year 

Boost Mobile robbed in Miamisburg

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 5:10 PM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 5:42 PM

Boost Mobile robbed in Miamisburg

UPDATE @ 5:35 p.m.

According to an employee,  a male came into the Boost Moblie Store and punched a female clerk leaving her unconscious. The suspect then grabbed an IPhone and fled the scene. We will continue to update you with any new details. 

FIRST REPORT

Police are investigating after someone robbed the Boost Mobile store on North Springboro Pike Thursday afternoon.

Miamisburg officers responded to the store at 200 N. Springboro Pike around 3 p.m. on a reported robbery, according to dispatch records.

LOCAL NEWS: Police believe suspects did Facebook Live during standoff

Reports to dispatch indicated an employee may have been assaulted during the incident, according to records.

A Dayton K-9 was called to the scene, however it’s not clear if any arrests have been made.

Christina Aguilera belts a Whitney Houston tribute at American Music Awards

Published: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 10:29 PM

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 19:  Christina Aguilera performs onstage during the 2017 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on November 19, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Kevin Winter/Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 19: Christina Aguilera performs onstage during the 2017 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on November 19, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Christina Aguilera delivered a tribute to the late Whitney Houston that only a vocalist of her caliber could do.

>> Read more trending news

At Sunday night’s American Music Awards, Aguilera celebrated the 25th anniversary of Houston’s blockbuster movie “The Bodyguard” and its top-selling soundtrack.

Related: Christina Aguilera to pay tribute to Whitney Houston, ‘The Bodyguard’ at AMAs

Beginning her set in a black pantsuit and a singular spotlight, Aguilera sang the a capella opening of “I Will Always Love You,” transitioning to the big note before going into “I Have Nothing,” followed by “Run to You,” a song Houston herself has praised Aguilera for singing.

2017 American Music Awards Red Carpet

Related: Christina Aguilera to pay tribute to Whitney Houston, ‘The Bodyguard’ at AMAs

Assisted by a choir, Aguilera ended her tribute with “I’m Every Woman” recieving a standing ovation.

Watch the full performance below.

Children left in freezing car while mother talked to friends in mall, police say

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 5:39 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)
Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)(Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

After getting calls about mothers leaving their kids in freezing temperatures, police are warning parents not to leave their children in their vehicles.

>> Read more trending news

A mother left her two young children in a car as she spoke with friends for more than 45 minutes, according to WXIN

Indianapolis Metropolitan police officer Stephen Jones found an 11-year-old girl clutching her 2-year-old brother inside a Toyota Corolla around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at Castleton Square Mall. The outside temperature was 8 degrees at the time, according to WXIN

The girl told Jones she had the keys to the car but had turned it off. Jones asked her to turn on the car. 

Jones went into the mall and found the 29-year-old mother speaking with a group of her friends in front of a store. She was very apologetic. 

Jones filed a report with the Department of Child Services and warned the woman to never leave her children alone again, according to WISH

Hours earlier, police had also responded to a call that a woman left her son, 4, and daughter, 7, in a car in freezing temperatures for more than an hour, according to WISH.