JUST IN: New restaurant may be in the works at former Boston’s Bistro

Published: Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 11:25 AM


            A new restaurant may be coming soon to the former Boston’s Bistro & Pub on North Main Street in Harrison Twp. MARK FISHER/STAFF

The owner of the building that houses the former Boston’s Bistro & Pub said today he is in negotiations with a group of people interested in opening a new restaurant in the space.

“Nothing is finalized yet, but we’re getting close,” said Warren Sublette of suburban Cincinnati, who since 2007 has owned the property in the 7500 block of North Main Street (Ohio 48) in Harrison Twp. that housed Boston’s Bistro.

Sublette — who owned and operated a winery in Cincinnati in the late 1970s — is in the process of obtaining the Boston’s Bistro liquor license from David Boston, both men confirmed this morning.

RELATED: Boston’s Bistro & Pub to close after 35 years

Boston’s Bistro & Pub shut its doors July 10, 2016 after 35 years in business — the first quarter-century in downtown Dayton. The pub lost its lease and was forced to move from East Second and Jefferson streets in downtown Dayton to the Harrison Twp. location in 2005. Boston’s father had operated a Hungarian restaurant in the Harrison Twp. space in the 1950s and ’60s.

At the time of the bistro’s closure last summer, David Boston said there was a “strong possibility” the pub would reopen in a new location. And Boston told this news outlet this morning that he has not ruled out partnering with others to return to the business.

“I’ve never stopped looking,” Boston said. “It’s a matter of the right group and the right situation. I still want to make a difference in the Dayton market.”

Ohio Politics Today: Budget goes to Kasich; State Medicaid cuts; Judy’s law; executions closer to resuming

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 10:56 PM

Ohio Gov. John Kasich, right, joined by Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, speaks during a news conference at the National Press Club in Washington, Tuesday, June 27, 2017, about Republican legislation overhauling the Obama health care law.
AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

Ohio Politics Today is your catch-all for the latest in state, local and national politics

What to know about the new Ohio state budget

After days of negotiation, the Ohio Senate and House passed it’s bi-annual budget. The bill now goes to the governor’s desk where he has two days to sign it. Things to know:

Judy’s law passes day after abuse victim dies

A law named after Judy Malinowski passed the day after she died from burns suffered when her ex-boyfriend set her on fire two years ago.

The law would toughen penalties for crimes that disfigure the victim. Malinowski had spent the last two years in the hospital. Gahanna police and arson investigators are seeking homicide charges against Michael Slager, who set her on fire, as a result of her death from her injuries.

Sherrod Brown introduced a bill in the U.S. Senate to recognize June as “Pride” month. 

Vice President Mike Pence vowed Obamacare would be repealed and the White House would tackle tax cuts and the largest increase in military spending since the Reagan administration. Pence was visiting a manufacturing plant in Cleveland today and spoke to small business owners about health care. 

Quick Hits

Ohio Senate bans second trimester abortion procedure (Cleveland.com). 

Legal battle over Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd charity concerts during 2016 RNC (Cleveland.com

Senate Intelligence Committee will get access to James Comey’s memos from Trump meetings (DDN.com). 

Bernie Sanders calls purported investigation of his wife a “pathetic attack.” (ToledoBlade.com)

Two Democrats join field for state auditor and treasurer offices (Dispatch.com). 

Recommended Read

Despite losing four special elections last week and having a contentious relationship with Heartland Democrats, Nancy Pelosi won’t be leaving the minority speakership soon, according to Heather Caygle and Kyle Cheney of Politico

Uber now allows users to request a ride for someone else

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 10:37 PM

Need to help your friend or family member catch a ride? Uber can help you out, because you can now use the service to request a car for someone else. 

The company announced the news this week, revealing you can book a trip for anyone in your contact list, even if they don’t have the app. 

>> Read more trending news

“We’re committed to providing safe, reliable transportation options for everyone in the family – including seniors,” Uber said in a post on its newsroom site. “So no matter where your loved ones need to be – and where you are located – a safe, reliable ride is just a few taps away.”

Related: Uber co-founder Travis Kalanick resigns as CEO, report says

When you’re ready for an Uber, you will have the option to select yourself or another person as a passenger. Once the request has been processed, the rider will receive a text message with all the details of the trip, a link to track it and the direct contact information for the driver.

RELATED: Is Uber safe? People questioning after reports of recent assaults 

You will also be able to follow along and pay for the trip with the card stored in the app. For areas that accept cash, the passenger can pay for the ride at the end of the trip.

The feature, which is currently available in the U.S. and 30 other countries, became available on Tuesday.

Surveillance photo released in Kettering home invasion

Published: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 @ 12:59 AM
Updated: Thursday, December 15, 2016 @ 3:45 PM

UPDATE @ 3:45 p.m. (Dec. 15)

Kettering police released surveillance photos of home invasion suspects and a suspect vehicle used.

Two male suspects entered the home at 2645 South Blvd. and held a family at gunpoint before removing items from the home.

The suspects were wearing masks and had handguns, backpacks and carry bags. The suspects arrived in the neighborhood in a light-colored Dodge Challenger with five-spoke wheels.

Anyone with information call Detective Mason at 937-296-2583.

EARLIER REPORT

A Kettering home invasion victim is now the focus of a narcotics investigation, according to police.

  • Kettering police were called to a home on South Boulevard shortly after midnight on Tuesday.
  • The victims told police two armed men forced their way inside house and searched for money.
  • Investigators say they realized something wasn’t right, and something else was going on inside the house.
  • Police found a marijuana grow operation inside the victim’s house.

Bobby Napier, 35, has been charged with with cultivation and child endangering.

Kettering police initially said they were unsure if the occupants were the intended targets, after two armed men forced their way inside the home in the 2600 block of South Boulevard around 12:20 a.m. Tuesday.

Officer John Jung says the questioning took a turn. Police said their investigation found that narcotics were involved and are the suspected reason for the targeted home invasion.

“Our officers got some indication that something else was going on in the house,” he said. “A narcotics investigation was opened up at that victim’s house. Through the detective work, we were able to locate a grow operation inside that house.”

Neighbors said they were not surprised police found drugs in the home, however they are surprised those being charged with having the drugs called police.

Officer Jung agreed.

“It’s kind of backwards thinking to have the police be called to a scene because you’re a victim of a crime and at the same time you have a grow operation going on inside your house,” he said.

No one was harmed and nothing was taken during the home invasion.

Kettering police said a neighbor’s security cameras captured images of two suspects fleeing from the home invasion. The suspects were observed by the cameras leaving the area in a white, newer model Dodge Challenger.

Officers described the suspects as two men standing between 5 feet, 7 inches and 5 feet, 10 inches, both wearing scarves over their faces.

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Police evidence crew in Dayton home where victim in shooting says he escaped kidnappers

Published: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 7:25 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 @ 10:12 PM

UPDATE @ 10:02 p.m.: A Dayton police evidence crew is processing a residence in the 400 block of West Hillcrest Avenue where a male wounded in a shooting said he had been a kidnapping victim, police Lt. Steven Bauer said.

The victim said he was shot in the arm, jumped through a window at West Hillcrest to escape and went to a relative's home on Rugby Road, where police were called.

Bauer said based on information from the victim, police went to the house on West Hillcrest. The Dayton SWAT team was called out to protect the citizens in the neighborhood, he said. 

After about 2-and-a-half hours, the SWAT team secured the house on West Hillcrest and an evidence crew is in the house. No one has been apprehended, but, Bauer said, police are looking for two brothers. 

The lieutenant said the victim has told police he knows his assailants and why he was kidnapped. Bauer said police do not believe the incident is gang related or involves drugs. 

If you know anything about what happened at West Hillcrest or on Rugby Road, you are asked to call police at 937-333-COPS (2677) or Miami Valley Crime Stoppers at 937-222-7867.

UPDATE @ 9:39 p.m.:  

Police are opening up Hillcrest Avenue to traffic and apparently ending their SWAT operation at a residence on the same avenue.

UPDATE @ 9 p.m.: 

Members of the Dayton SWAT team, with long rifles drawn and behind a shield, approached the front door of the home on West Hillcrest Avenue. 

They pounded on the door but did not breach. They backed off. 

SEE ALSO: More crime headlines

Earlier, police used a bullhorn in an effort to communication with two young men they believe are inside the residence. Police also played a very loud siren in an effort to disorient the people believed to be inside.

INITIAL REPORT

A Dayton police SWAT team was called tonight as part of an investigation into a shooting.

The special weapons and tactics team is at a house in the 400 block of West Hillcrest Avenue, and police are blocking multiple streets in the area.

The blockage and SWAT response is related to a shooting on Hillcrest Avenue, the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center confirmed. A man who was shot in the left forearm about 5:15 p.m. ran two blocks west to Rugby Road for help. He was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, police said. 

The SWAT team was called about 7 p.m. and is on scene as investigators attempt to search the residence. It has not been confirmed that anyone is in the home, but area residents said they believe at least one person is inside.