Franklin crash victim, 20, remembered as ‘amazing person’

Published: Sunday, June 18, 2017 @ 5:48 PM


            .
.

A 20-year-old woman who died in a head-on crash in Franklin Saturday was on her way home from celebrating her 1-year wedding anniversary a day early, according to a longtime friend.

Courtney Trent and James Daley, 20, both of Franklin Twp., had dropped off their 6-month-old son at a relative’s house in West Carrollton and were driving home from dinner when the collision occurred that killed Trent, according to Melanie Barker, 19, who said she had been friends with her for six years.

RELATED: Franklin woman killed in head-on crash after driver falls asleep at wheel

Barker, who said she cannot come to terms with her friend’s death, remembered her as “an amazing person.”

“She had a heart of gold and she was there for everyone,” Barker said of the 2014 Franklin High School graduate. “She was just so bubbly and wanted to have fun and make friends.”

Trent died after a Toyota Highlander crashed into the Pontiac G6 in which she was riding just before 9:01 p.m. at Ohio 123 near Beal Road and Shotwell Drive in Warren County, according to a release from the Lebanon post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

In a preliminary investigation, state troopers said Corey Kappus, 18, of Franklin, was driving south on Ohio 123 when he fell asleep and the vehicle veered off the right side of the road. Kappus’ Toyota then went left of center and struck the Pontiac head-on.

Trent was pronounced dead at the scene.

Troopers said Daley, who was driving the Pontiac, was taken to Atrium Medical Center. His condition was not released Sunday night.

Kappus also was taken to Atrium Medical Center with unknown injuries and has since been released.

The crash remains under investigation, but speed and the absence of a seat belt are considered contributing factors in the crash, according to troopers.

Barker said Trent was not only “an amazing person,” but also an amazing mother to 6-month-old son, James Daley III, who appeared with his mother in numerous photos she posted to social media.

“Watching her with her son was like watching her be completed,” Barker said. “She just radiated when she was around that baby. Motherhood looked so good on her.”

Trent would want people to keep her memory alive by having fun and being happy “because she was such a happy person,” she said.

“She would want people to remember just her being happy, her laugh,” Barker said. “Her laugh was so contagious.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Hero German shepherd takes bullet for teenager in home invasion

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 8:50 PM

(KIRO7.com)
(KIRO7.com)

When burglars violently broke into a Des Moines, Washington, home mid-afternoon on Wednesday, a teenager hid in a closet and held onto his dog.

>> Read more trending news

But Rex -- a 2-year-old German shepherd -- ran downstairs to protect the 16-year-old.

The dog confronted the burglars, who beat him until he was bloody. The dog ran back upstairs.

>> Related: Argument over dog’s weight turns deadly at Missouri sports bar

With the dog out of sight, the home invasion continued as the two burglars trashed the house room by room. When they came into the bedroom where the teen and the dog were hiding in the closet, and the teen was on the phone with 911, the dog stood up to them with the little strength he had left.

>> Related: Police: Des Moines teen calls 911 from closet during home invasion

He threw himself at the burglars, the teen's family wrote on a GoFundMe page, and was shot at least three times in the neck, leg and knee.

As the sound of sirens became audible, the burglars ran away.

Officers found smashed sliding door glass when they went into the home to get the teen outside safely. They also found Rex, who at first looked dead.

While SWAT teams looked for the suspects, Rex was taken to the animal hospital. 

>> Related: Shepherd, lab mix found tied to tree with note attached to collar gets adopted

He was eventually taken to BluePearl, where he is in the veterinary intensive care unit, receiving pain medication, antibiotics and wound care, with round-the-clock monitoring of his vital signs.
After making it through the night, the dog is now in stable condition.

As Rex recovers, people on social media have taken to calling him a "hero dog" for intervening between the burglars and the teenager.

"My nephew was protected by his eternal friend until the last bit of strength he had in him to do what his unconditional, loving instinct told him to," family member Susy Cadena said on the GoFundMe page.

The family started crowdfunding after paying large sums of money for X-rays and urgently needed medication for Rex. They hope to raise $10,000 to cover the expenses.

"Our family cannot let Rex the hero dog go without us fighting as hard as he did, to his very last bit of a strength while protecting my nephew," Cadena said.

Meanwhile, officers are still looking for the suspects, and they are trying to figure out why the house was targeted.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Armed Stoneman Douglas resource officer 'never went in' during Florida shooting

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:35 PM

Armed Stoneman Douglas Resource Officer Resigns

The school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has resigned, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

[View the story "Stoneman Douglas resource officer resigns after investigation" on Storify]

>> Read more trending news 

Follow along with our live updates as we learn more

Trending - Most Read Stories

Huber Heights gas leak causes business evacuations

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:11 AM
Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:32 AM

Repairs continue after Huber Heights gas leak causes business evacuations

Executive Boulevard lanes in Huber Heights reopened after being closed for several hours following a gas leak Thursday morning.

‘SHS’ school threat believed to have originated in Springfield, police chief says

Crews continued to make repairs to the leaking gas line that evacuated fifteen business along the road around 11 a.m., according to Huber Heights Fire Chief Mark Ashworth.

Ashworth said a construction crew working in the area struck a 6-inch gas main directly under Executive, which  caused the gas to leak from underground.

Huber Heights gas leak


Executive is one of the city’s most commercial areas and Ashworth said the leak would impact the businesses in the area.

Utility companies, including DP&L and Vectren, worked on scene to isolate their utilities as well.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Student arrest for making threats at Springfield H.S. charged with a felony

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 8:12 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

Extra police presence at Springfield High School this morning

UPDATE @ 10:30 p.m: After a Springfield High School student was arrested on Thursday due to viral threats posted on Facebook about a school shooting, Superintendent Dr. Robert Hill released a statement about student safety.

“As I have stated many times and as I will continue to reiterate, student and staff safety is of the utmost importance in our district. Threats, whether written, posted on-line, or verbalized to others, will be thoroughly and immediately investigated. Anyone involved in making threats will face serious disciplinary action and additional consequences to the maximum extent of the law”, said Hill.

Hill also said school will remain in session, but urges students to be diligent in reporting anything that “feels out of place”.

UPDATE @ 3:55 p.m. (Feb. 22):

A Springfield High School student was arrested Thursday after police said she posted a Facebook threat about a school shooting that went viral, causing districts across Clark County and the country to take precautions. 

Authorities declined to name the 16-year-old, a junior, but Clark County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Travis Russell said she was charged with felony inducing panic in juvenile court. 

Police Chief Lee Graf both declined to comment on the motives behind the post. The Facebook post was taken down soon after it was posted, Graf said, but it had already gone viral.

Teachers with guns? Some Ohio districts arm staff, but don’t tell parents or kid

This news outlet was sent the post many times by concerned parents and community members. 

The student was arrested at 10 a.m. Thursday at Springfield High School, Russell said. 

Local authorities taking school threats seriously

The sheriff’s office and Springfield Police Division executed a search warrant at a home on Tibbetts Avenue around the same time, he said, and seized electronics that the student might have used to make the post. 

Anyone who threatens the safety of children in Springfield will face consequences, Graf said.

UPDATE@ 2:05 p.m. (Feb. 22)

The girl arrested for allegedly making threats at Springfield High School is 16 years old, Clark County Sheriff Chief Deputy Travis Russell said during a press conference Thursday afternoon. She is being charged with inducing panic, a  second degree felony, and could face several years in prison if convicted. 

When police got word of the threat they executed a search warrant and searched the school before classes started, officials said. 

“You can’t be dismissive when you get these types of threats,” Russel said.

UPDATE @ 11:45 a.m. (Feb 22) 

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office made an arrest Thursday in correlation to the ‘S.H.S.’ school threat circulating on social media. 

The FBI and Clark County Deputies were able to obtain information on the location of where the social media post was made. The Springfield Police Department and Clark County Sheriff’s Office then executed a search warrant, seizing a number of electronic devices. Subsequently, the both divisions were able to obtain further information, which resulted in a juvenile being taken into custody. The juvenile in custody is a 17-year-old female student at Springfield High School, according to police.

The teen is facing felony inducing panic charges, authorities.

Authorities report the threat is now considered neutralized, but this case will continue to be investigated by multiple agencies.  

MORE: Teachers with guns? Some Ohio districts arm staff, but don’t tell parents or kids

EARLIER REPORT 

Local law enforcement and school officials are aware and investigating reports on social media of possible threats against a school.

The vague social media post referenced a “SHS” school, which could include any one of many schools in the area that start with the letter “S.”

  • Springfield, Stebbins, Springboro, and others have investigated “SHS” threat
  • Threat deemed not credible by police
  • Police believe post originated in Springfield
  • Extra patrols reported at many schools

MORE: Hundreds of local students walk out, more walkouts planned

RELATED: Vague threats prompt lockdown of Fairborn High School

WALKOUTS: Can students get in trouble for #NeverAgain walkouts?

UPDATE @ 10:14 a.m.:

Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf said it appears the “SHS” school threat that spread through social media Wednesday originated in the city of Springfield.

“Through the night we have been following up on leads,” Graf said.  “"We have some suspects that we are looking at...We may be very close to origin of the original post."

Graf said the threat went viral, leading to calls coming in to the department from Mississippi and California regarding the post.

The chief said multiple jurisdictions, including the FBI, have been involved in the investigation.

UPDATE @ 9:20 a.m. 

Bob Hill, Superintendent of Springfield City Schools said class attendance is “light” at Springfield High School, following a generic threat to a “SHS” school. 

RELATED: Extra police at multiple local schools after threats

The threat to the school was determined to be not credible Wednesday night, Hill said. 

RELATED: Springfield-Clark Career Technology Center investigates threat 

“We take threats very seriously,” Hill said Thursday morning. “This affects many schools in Clark County, Springfield, Shawnee High School, Southeastern High School; this has some pretty serious and far-reaching ramifications.” 

“I do know the FBI was involved last night; the Clark County Sheriff’s Office and the Springfield Police Division also.” 

An FBI spokesman confirmed the agency is investigating the threat, but is working with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office and Springfield police, who are leading the investigation. 

Hill said another rumor surfaced at the district that a gun was found at the high school Wednesday, but Hill said this report turned out to be false after it was investigated by the school. 

Southeastern Local Schools Superintendent David Shea said leaders in the district are also taking precautions in light of the threats. 

“We have three South Charleston Police officers at our high school and two at Miami View Elementary School today,” Shea said. 

A number of police officers will remain at the school all day, Shea said. 

A number of students stayed home, likely out of fear of the threat, Shea said, and he understood the concerns of parents due to recent school shootings nationwide. 

FIRST REPORT

Lt. Jeff Williams of Springfield police said since Tuesday evening when reports surfaced of an 8-year-old male arrested for an unloaded gun at Simon Kenton Elementary, that many social media posts have surfaced and been shared. 

RELATED: Superintendent: Springfield schools safe, even after gun in backpack

Williams said many “rumors” are being investigated by Springfield police. He said police believe it is “misinformation” circulating around and they do not believe any credible threat exists.

However, Springfield police will have extra patrols at the high school Thursday.

Parents in the Mad River Local Schools — as well as Springboro — were issued one-calls Wednesday evening.

The Mad River call from the superintendent said they are aware of a social media threat against “SHS” and are investigating whether it was directed to Stebbins High School or another school.

“Every school that starts with an “S” has done that,” Williams said of being on alert.

In an email sent to Springboro parents Wednesday night, the district said the school resource officer and administrative team has been in constant contact with the Springboro Police Department. 

Williams said officers spent most of Wednesday tracking down social media posts and speaking with witnesses in Springfield.

Williams said they don’t know who exactly made the post yet but they are in the process of tracking the source of the post.

“We are investigating every possible lead,” Williams said.

He added even the FBI called Springfield to offer assistance — if they need it, but the FBI is not involved at the moment. 

Williams said Springfield police are fielding calls from police agencies in other states with “S” schools. He declined to share which states have made inquiries.

Springfield High School’s website now includes a message on the homepage about this social media threat. School will be in session Thursday.

Springfield City Schools posted this message on its high school website, Feb. 21, 2018.

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office Wednesday evening said they are also investigating these threats.

In Shelby County, the Sidney school district posted to its website that it is aware of the threat. In their post it says law enforcement determined the post was made from outside of Ohio. That district will have increased patrols Thursday.

Toledo police sent a tweet about the threat, saying it’s likely a hoax, but is being taken seriously.

Trending - Most Read Stories