breaking news

Fourth person found guilty in fatal home invasion

Published: Monday, October 07, 2013 @ 4:41 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

A Butler County jury has found the fourth of five people accused in the botched armed robbery that turned fatal guilty of murder in the 2012 shooting death of Julian Slaven.

Nearly a year after Slaven’s death, Jerry Eacholes, 26, of Middletown, stood trial last week in Butler County Common Court on the charges of murder, aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary. The jury deliberated briefly Friday afternoon and then continued Monday morning, deliberating a total of about nine hours before reaching a verdict.

Eacholes’ sentencing in set for Oct. 21. He faces up to 37 years to life in prison. The jury did not find Eacholes guilty of using a gun during the commissions of the three felony crimes, which would have added a possible nine years to his sentence.

On Tuesday, the trial of Christia Frymire, 20, of Fairfield, is scheduled to begin in the same courtroom.

Eacholes shook his head when the verdict was read at about 3:50 p.m. Slaven’s mother, Tamera, gave a quiet sigh.

“Justice was served,” Tamera Slaven said. “And I want to say to Christia, it is not too late to do the right thing and plead and end this.”

Eacholes and Frymire were scheduled to be tried together in July, but Oney severed the cases when attorneys for the defendants argued they should receive separate trials because some evidence, including a cellphone image of a man holding a gun, and statements presented at trial might be prejudicial toward one of the accused.

Joseph Goodin, 26, of Middletown, who fired the shot that killed 19-year-old Slaven on Nov. 24, pleaded guilty in April and was sentenced to 18 years to life in prison. His attorney said the fatal shot was fired by accident.

In June, Misty Williams, 19, of Hamilton also received an 18 years to life sentence after admitting guilt to the same charges.

Williams, a former Fairfield High School cheerleader, was addicted to heroin at the time of the incident, according to her family, who spoke on her behalf during sentencing.

Slaven and Williams were childhood friends and she was the person who placed the call setting up the robbery and shooting, according to prosecutors.

Anthony Givens, 21, of Hamilton, pleaded guilty in April and was sentenced to 18 years to life for his part in the incident.

According to court documents, prosecutors say Goodin, Eacholes, Givens, Williams and Frymire “acting with the kind of culpability required for the commission of each charged offense were supporting, encouraging, conspiring with and cooperating with, advising, inciting and aiding or abetting each other in committing the murder of Julian Slaven.”

The five defendants, “planned and arranged a purchase of marijuana from Slaven, with Williams and Frymire acting as purchasers. Upon the two gaining entrance to the home by such deception, they planned that Goodin, Givens and Eacholes would enter the residence, Goodin and Givens with firearms,” according to court documents.

In the process of carrying out the plan, Slaven was shot, prosecutors say.

Cincinnati police: Runaway may be headed to Dayton

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 10:09 PM

Kelssie Campbell (Cincinnati Police Department)

Cincinnati police put out an alert today that a runaway juvenile could be headed to the Dayton area.

Police said Kelssie Campbell, 17, left the Girls Stay Center youth home and has yet to return. 

Campbell, described as standing 5 feet, 5 inches with black eyes and hair, has a history of running away, police said. 

She is believed to be headed to Dayton, where she's from. Police have no word on her means of travel, but she was last seen wearing a purple dress and gray shoes. 

Anyone with information is urged to call police.

GOT A TIP? Call the 24-hour news line at 937-259-2237 or

George W. Bush poses with Bono at Texas ranch

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 9:51 PM

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 14:  Honoree/singer Bono arrives at Glamour Women of the Year 2016 at NeueHouse Hollywood on November 14, 2016 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic)

U2 is currently in the midst of the Texas leg of its tour celebrating the 30th anniversary of “The Joshua Tree,” but frontman Bono took some time off from leading stadiums in singalongs to chat with former U.S. president and Texas governor and current Texas resident George W. Bush.

>> Read more trending news

 The two met Friday at the Bush family ranch in Crawford to talk about “their shared commitment to saving lives in Africa,” according to Bush’s Instagram feed.

It was no big deal. The two were just chilling on a ranch in Texas, talking about saving the world. That’s not bad for a guy who said he once mistook Bono for Sonny Bono.

Bono and Bush have a history of philanthropic work together. Bono has been an avid supporter of Bush’s President’s Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and has enlisted Bush’s help on another AIDS relief charity, ONE.

That type of philanthropic work is not unusual for Bono. U2 is known for its sociopolitical statements, and its current tour focuses on unity, according to our Statesman music critic.

U2 performs in Dallas tonight.

Grandpa gives granddaughter 2,000 letters for graduation

Published: Friday, May 26, 2017 @ 9:39 PM

John Eades has been writing letters to his granddaughter, Victoria, since she was born.

A Buford, Georgia, high school student will receive a present Friday that has been nearly 18 years in the making, thanks to the teenager’s grandfather and his pens.

The moment John Eades saw his wife hold his little granddaughter, Victoria Eades, he didn’t want the moment to disappear, so he described it in a letter.

>> Read more trending news

That first letter was written the day Victoria was born, and now there are nearly 2,000.

“I don’t know why, but something told me to write her a letter about how I was feeling,” Eades said.

Now that Victoria is almost 18 and will soon be graduating from Buford High School, she’ll get a diploma and a gift full of memories from toddler to teen.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news

“First crush, first heartbreak, those kinds of things,” Eades said.

Eades has all the letters in binders with pictures from different phases of her life on the front. 

Victoria knows her grandpa wrote the letters to her, but she’s never seen them.

Eades said that he could give his granddaughter advice “about love, faith, about integrity -- principles of life.”

He started writing letters for Victoria’s younger sister, who will soon graduate from eighth grade, when she was born as well.

WATCH: Florida man goes airborne after being shot with Taser

Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 4:24 PM

A Florida man’s unceremonious meeting with the ground after being shot with a stun gun was caught on camera.  

Carlos Sierra, a 26-year-old homeless man, was on the run from Surfside police in Miami-Dade County after authorities said he stole a bicycle from a condominium's parking garage, WFOR reported.

>> Read more trending news

When officers arrived to find Sierra with the bike in his hands, he dropped to the ground and allowed the officers to handcuff him and get him back on his feet.  

Sierra tried to run away, while still in handcuffs, before being stopped by a jolt from a stun gun, WFOR reported. The shock sent the man flailing into the air, which led to a forceful, and likely painful, landing in the middle of the road.   

Sierra, who is sporting bloody facial wounds in his mugshot, was charged with burglary, resisting arrest and criminal mischief.