Fairborn OKs area's first public CNG fueling station

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013 @ 10:40 PM
Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

The first public compressed natural gas fueling station in the Miami Valley will be in the city of Fairborn.

Fairborn City Council approved 5-2 Vectren Energy Delivery of Ohio’s request to build a public CNG fueling station at its Fairborn site, 1135 E. Dayton-Yellow Springs Road. Councilmen Jim Hapner and Robert Wood voted against it. The discussion lasted nearly two hours before a standing-room-only crowd.

Vectren operates a CNG station at that site to serve its own private six-vehicle fleet, so this location makes sense for expansion because it already has the appropriate infrastructure in place, company officials said.

There are no current plans to expand beyond this project, said Colleen Ryan, president of Vectren Energy Delivery of Ohio.

Of Vectren’s six operational centers in southwest Ohio, the Fairborn site is the only one that has a CNG station. It will be only the 13th public CNG station in the state.

“If you want to put Fairborn on the map, put one in Fairborn,” Ryan said. “It’s a great thing to do for the community and the state of Ohio.”

Ryan said there will be minimal impact to traffic and the condition of roadways. Vectren expects the public CNG fueling station to average 10 vehicles a day, mainly service and trash-sized trucks.

The station is expected to be open to the public as early as the summer, barring any unforeseen delays or regulatory issues. The cost of the expansion for Vectren will be about $900,000.

“I’m not so sure there’s a hidden agenda by Vectren,” said Hapner, who questioned Ryan about the monetary investment. “I don’t think it’s a wise business decision.”

The unmanned CNG station — accessed from Trebein Road — will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. On-site surveillance cameras will be monitored at Vectren’s headquarters in Evansville, Ind.

The project had already been delayed a month in order to answer concerns raised by citizens who live just north of the site. Those concerns included safety, traffic flow and the location of the proposed site.

“I look at it as Vectren making an investment in Fairborn,” Councilwoman Marilyn McCauley said. “It’s not how much taxes we’re going to get or how many jobs it’s going to produce. It’s an investment in the future of this city and the businesses in the city.”

CBO: 22 million would lose health coverage under Senate bill

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 7:32 PM


            Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan, D–Niles, said Republican Senate health care bill would “throw the elderly, sick and poor under the bus in order to finance massive tax cuts for the wealthiest among us.”

A Senate Republican plan to replace Obamacare would increase the number of Americans without health insurance by 22 million while reducing the deficit by $321 billion over the next decade, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said in a report released Monday.

The CBO, tasked with determining the economic impact of bills, found that the debt would decrease far more under the Senate bill than the earlier passed House bill, which would trim the deficit by $119 billion over a decade, according to the CBO.

RELATED: Millions would lose health coverage under House bill

Still, the number of uninsured under both the House and Senate bills would appear to provide a roadblock for Republicans who want to fulfill a key promise of the 2016 election cycle: to repeal and replace the 2010 health care law known as the Affordable Care Act.

In May, the House passed a bill that the CBO estimated would increase the number of uninsured by 23 million. The Senate version knocks that down by just 1 million.

Much of the savings from the Senate bill would be spurred by the gradual scale-back of the 2010 law’s expansion of Medicaid. Thirty–one states and the District of Columbia chose to expand Medicaid under Obamacare; that decision led to 700,000 more being insured in Ohio, where Ohio Gov. John Kasich opted to accept the expansion.

The House called for ending the Medicaid expansion by 2020. The Senate bill would more gradually phase out that expansion, ultimately ending it in 2024. The speed of the Medicaid rollback is perhaps the key difference between the House and Senate approaches.

RELATED: Newt Gingrich calls CBO corrupt and dishonest

The CBO also found that under the Senate bill, premiums would initially increase but then begin to decline after 2020.

Republican leaders in the Senate appeared to have an uphill battle even before the CBO report. The bill was met with immediate criticism by a group of four conservatives that included 2016 GOP presidential aspirants Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky.

Last weekend, Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nevada, became the fifth Republican to publicly denounce the bill as it stands. In order for the bill to pass, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell must convince at least 50 of the Senate’s Republicans to support the bill. Vice President Mike Pence would cast the tie-breaking 51st vote.

McConnell has said he wants to get a bill approved before a planned recess for the Fourth of July.

Speaking on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” Monday, Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman said “the way the bill changes Medicaid concerns me.” He has yet to say how he’ll vote on the bill, saying the cuts would make it “very difficult” for the people now getting Medicaid “to continue to have it.”

Democrats, including Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, oppose the bill, saying that ending the Medicaid expansion would be disastrous to the poor, the elderly and the mentally ill.

“The report only underscores what we already know: this bill hurts working families and raises prices on Ohioans,” Brown said. “Instead of jamming through a bill written in secret by insurance company CEOs, we should be working together to lower costs and make health care work better for everyone.”

Said AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka: “Saying the Senate health care bill is less mean than the House bill is like saying you prefer smallpox over the bubonic plague.”

Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan, D–Niles, meanwhile, said the bill would “throw the elderly, sick and poor under the bus in order to finance massive tax cuts for the wealthiest among us.”

Portman, who is one of the key votes Republicans need to pass the health-care bill, earlier this month backed a plan to slowly phase out Medicaid expansion by 2027. It was unclear whether the faster phase out would cause Portman to oppose the bill.

The Senate GOP bill also dramatically alters Obamacare’s requirement that people without insurance be required to buy a plan or face a fine. Obamacare provided tax credits for families of four earning between $34,000 and $98,400 a year to buy individual plans through federal and state marketplaces known as exchanges.

The bill also allows states to seek federal permission to allow insurance companies to offer individual plans that do not include Obamacare’s 10 essential benefits, such as hospitalization, maternity and newborn care, prescription drugs and laboratory services.

The Senate bill, however, differs from the House on pre-existing conditions. The Senate’s bill would maintain Obamacare protections for those with pre-existing conditions, while the House allowed states to remove such protections and give insurers more pricing flexibility.

Like the House bill, the Senate bill would sweep away most of the tax increases approved in 2010 to finance the expansion of health care. Because most of those taxes are paid for by the wealthy or pharmaceutical companies, Republicans have been criticized for cutting taxes on the rich as they take away health coverage from the poor.

Although health care amounts to about one-sixth of the nation’s gross domestic product, neither the House nor Senate bill directly impacts employer-based health care, which is how most Americans receive health care. But should the Republicans pass a bill, some argue that it will become a model for future employer health care plans, with employer plans offering benefits that mirror what are offered under the bill.

About 155 million Americans are insured by their employers, another 55 million by Medicare, which pays health costs for the elderly; and 74 million by Medicaid, the joint federal and state program that provides health care for low-income people and the disabled.

Outcry against the bill is not just limited to a handful of Republicans and basically every Democrat in the Senate. On Monday, James Madara, CEO of the American Medical Association, sent a letter to McConnell and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer opposing the bill.

“Medicine has long operated under the precept of Primum non nocere, or “first, do no harm,” he wrote. “The draft legislation violates that standard on many levels.”

The insurer Anthem, on the other hand, offered some positive words about the bill, saying in a statement that it believed the Senate legislation would ‘‘markedly improve the stability of the individual market.’’

Earlier Monday, Senate Republican leaders altered their bill to penalize people who go without health insurance by requiring them to wait six months before their coverage would begin. Insurers would generally be required to impose the waiting period on people who lacked coverage for more than about two months in the prior year.

Information from The New York Times was included in this story.

Searchers at Glen Helen Nature Preserve find lost/missing person

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 7:13 PM
Updated: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 7:29 PM

(Lauren Clark/Staff)

UPDATE @ 7:26 p.m.:  The missing person has been located and reportedly is in the lobby of the Yellow Springs Police Department, according to Greene County Sheriff's Dispatch.

INITIAL REPORT

A search crew is heading into the Glen Helen Nature Preserve in Greene County to look for a person reported lost or missing. 

MORE: See trending headlines

Yellow Springs police officers have joined the search crew. 

The call for a search party was made about 6:55 p.m. Crews staged in the 500 block of Corry Street. 

We have a crew on the way. We will update this developing report. 

Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

GOT A TIP? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

 

Bill Cosby’s rep now says town halls won’t be about sexual assault

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 7:20 PM

Days after Bill Cosby’s representatives said he was planning on touring the country and appearing at town halls to speak with young people about sexual assault, one of those same representatives says that is not the case.

The Huffington Post reported that on Sunday, Cosby’s representative Ebonee Benson told CNN that the town hall meetings will not be about sexual assault.

>> Read more trending news

“I just want to be clear. The town hall meetings are not about sexual assault. I will repeat. These town hall meetings are not about sexual assault,” she told CNN. “This went way beyond a comment made from an interview by my colleague (Andrew Wyatt, another Cosby representative), a day ago.

Related: Bill Cosby plans town meetings on sexual assault following mistrial

“When we initially talked about the town hall meetings, it was about restoration of legacy. Much to what Mrs. Cosby spoke on in her statement is the sensationalism brought on by the media,” Benson said. “This is another example of that. To take something that was meant to talk about the restoration of this man’s legacy that was destroyed by the media before he even had a chance to step into the courtroom. That’s what this is about.”

Benson’s statement comes after Benson and  Wyatt appeared on Good Day Alabama on Wednesday and said that Cosby was planning town halls after a mistrial was declared in a sexual assault case against him from accuser Andrea Constand. 

“We are now planning town halls. We’ll talk to young people,” Wyatt said on WBRC. “This is bigger than Bill Cosby. This issue can affect any young person, especially young athletes of today. They need to know what they’re facing when they’re hanging out and partying, when they’re doing certain things they shouldn’t be doing. It also affects married men.”

Related: Bill Cosby accuser slams his upcoming sexual assault town halls

Wyatt clarified the remarks to The New York Times in an email the next day, saying that Cosby has received “hundreds of calls from civic organizations and churches requesting for Mr. Cosby to speak to young men and women about the judicial system.”

“These groups would like for Mr. Cosby to share that people in the judicial system can use their powers to annul deals for personal agenda and political ambitions,” he said.

Wyatt said that the speeches would be free.

The apparent change of plans comes after one of Cosby’s accusers, Linda Kirkpatrick, appeared on CNN on Saturday and compared Cosby’s town hall to serial killer and sex offender Jeffrey Dahmer, known as the Milwaukee Cannibal, hosting a cooking show.

“Him having a town hall meeting on educating people about sexual assault is the same as Jeffrey Dahmer hosting a town hall meeting on the joy of cooking, neither of which I will be attending,” Kirkpatrick said.

Prosecutors said they plan to retry Cosby after the mistrial was declared.

Centerville child severely burned, local man wanted in case

Published: Monday, June 26, 2017 @ 2:11 PM

A Dayton man is wanted by Centerville police and the Southern Ohio Fugitive Apprehension Strike Team in connection to the felonious assault of a child severely burned in the 0-100 block of Loganwood Drive.

William Clifton Mckinney Lindsey, 27, is wanted after being indicted June 20 on counts of felonious assault, endangering children (two counts) and tampering with evidence, according to Centerville police. 

READ: Local News Headlines

An investigation started after a 23-month-old boy was taken to Dayton Children’s Medical Center April 26 for “severe scalding burns over a significant portion of his body,” according to Officer John Davis.

The Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office said the child has second-degree burns over 95 percent of his body. The child’s injuries are life threatening, police said.

Lindsey was taking care of the child at the time of the injury, police said. 

Davis said the suspect is not the baby’s father but is father to a sibling of the injured child.

The child was first taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital South, then transferred to Dayton Children’s Hospital in Dayton and finally flown to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus. 

Lindsey is described as black man, standing 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. His last known address was on Hackett Drive in Dayton. 

Anyone with information, contact Detective Sgt. J. Myers at 937-428-4771 or jmyers@centervilleohio.gov.