Fairborn to invest $1.3M in Main Street projects

Published: Saturday, January 12, 2013 @ 9:20 PM
Updated: Saturday, January 12, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

The city of Fairborn plans to invest nearly $1.3 million on a pair of projects that city officials say will ultimately lead to more interest downtown.

Main Street received a $2 million facelift last year, and these two projects — connecting two bike paths and making more road improvements — will complete Fairborn’s goal of redefining the city’s historic downtown by 2015.

“We’ve been working on it for many years, and having it completed will be a great accomplishment,” City Manager Deborah McDonnell said. “It also sets the stage for development along Xenia Drive and new redevelopment along Kauffman Avenue. It’s critical that we finish that and move on to other projects.”

More than half of the cost will be funded by grants that were awarded to the city. City Council recently approved resolutions agreeing to comply with Ohio Department of Transportation requirements, such as design standards and contractor selection.

A three-quarter-of-a-mile bike path is scheduled to be constructed in 2014, a project that will cost $666,204 and provide bike access to Main Street. The design phase will begin this spring.

The third and final phase of Streetscape will follow a year later. The first two phases — which entailed a two-thirds mile stretch from Broad Street to Pleasant Street — were completed in October and cost $2 million.

The third phase of Streetscape is estimated to cost $621,476, which includes storm sewer work, curb and sidewalk replacement, striping and landscaping from Pleasant Street to Dayton Drive — just under a quarter of a mile. A gateway feature, similar to the one at Main Street/Broad Street, could be constructed at the Main/Dayton intersection, City Engineer Jim Sawyer said.

The remaining balance for the bikeway ($286,019) will come out of the Capital Improvement Fund, while the County Motor Vehicle License Tax funds will help pay for phase III ($321,476).

“You can’t just do one thing to make a town,” said Linda Riffle, president of the Downtown Fairborn Betterment Association. “You can’t just remodel storefronts or redo streets. You have to do this in combination to have an attractive downtown. The bike path and Streetscape will only make Main Street better.”

Joann Scott — owner of Expressions Coffee House at 313 W. Main Street — said business hasn’t returned to the level that it was prior to the Streetscape construction. Expressions was averaging about 160 to 170 individual purchases per day, but that figure now hovers around 120 or 130.

Scott said she’ll have a better gauge in the summer of how the downtown upgrades have impacted her business.

“Our growth was going well until that happened,” Scott said. “We see some spikes when there’s an event downtown, and our regular customers are really dedicated and never stopped coming. But it will take a while for everyone to come back. I definitely think the (bike path) will be helpful.”

The bike path will be a 10-foot wide hard surface that connects the existing bike path on Central Avenue at Ohio Street and the one on Xenia Drive that ends just east of Dayton Drive. The new bike path will also feature fencing and a rest area along the side, Sawyer said.

“It’s one of those things we’ve needed for a very long time,” Riffle said. “Fairborn is the perfect place to have a bike path close to downtown because we do have a downtown with stores, restaurants, a library — things for people to do.”

The average daily traffic count for Main Street is 3,000. Sawyer said an updated traffic count hasn’t been taken since construction was completed in October.

Ohio State Fair ride accident: Rides remain closed; victims identified

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 7:48 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

Enhanced Video: Ohio State Fair ride malfunction

An 18-year-old man was killed and seven others were injured, five critically, when a ride malfunctioned on the opening day of the 2017 Ohio State Fair in Columbus.

  • 1 killed, 7 hurt when riders are thrown from The Fire Ball
  • Ohio State Fair gates will open at 9 a.m. Thursday
  • Gov. John Kasich orders all rides shut down until they are inspected again
  • Kasich said inspection records for all fair rides will be made available
  • Ride inspectors in process of inspecting all rides at fair

RELATED:

NEW: Read the safety inspection report on the Fireball ride

VIDEO: James Brown interviews eyewitness of tragedy

VIDEO: Footage of Fire Ball ride operating properly (from the past)

VIDEO: Aerial scenes show aftermath of fatal malfunction

6 other serious events at fairs in Ohio

James Brown interviews eyewitness to Ohio State Fair accident

UPDATE @ 11:38 a.m.:

All rides at the Ohio State Fair will remain closed until inspections of each attraction can be finished, according to the director for the Ohio Department of Agriculture, the agency in charge on conducting inspections on fair rides.

“Our inspectors are very well trained,” said David Daniels, director of Ohio Department of Agriculture.  
When we feel we’ve gotten our complete inspection done we’ll reopen.”

Daniels and Gov. John Kasich were among the people who addressed the media Thursday morning.

Kasich told Ohioans despite the tragedy that the fair remains a place people should visit.

“Ohioans should come to the fair.  There is so much to do,” Kasich said.

The Ohio Highway Patrol is handling the investigation on the accident and said Thursday an independent review of the attraction will be done to determine what caused the incident to happen.

OSP said they’ve set up a hotline for people who may have been witnesses to the accident to call and that number is 614-799-6633.

UPDATE @ 10:44 a.m.

Identities of those killed and injured at the Ohio State Fair have been released. 

Tyler Jarrell, 18, of Columbus, Ohio, was pronounced deceased at the fairgrounds, according to a media release.

Those injured include: 

  • Tamika Dunlap, 36, of Reynoldsburg, Ohio;
  • Russell Franks, 42, of Columbus, Ohio;
  • Keziah Lewis, 19, of Columbus, Ohio;
  • Jacob Andrews, 22, of Pataskala, Ohio;
  • Jennifer Lambert, 18, of Columbus, Ohio;
  • Abdihakim Hussein, 19, of Columbus, Ohio; and
  • A 14 year-old male whose name is being withheld.

Anyone who witnessed the accident and can help investigators, call  614-799-6633. 

UPDATE @ 10:39 a.m. 

The Associated Press is reporting the injured range in age from 13 to 41. 

Officials at the California State Fair have shut down their Fire Ball ride there.

UPDATE @4:18 a.m. 

Of the three patients being treated at The Ohio State University Medical Center, one is in serious condition and two are in critical condition, according to the hospital.

Medical teams are still assessing and treating injuries.

UPDATE @1:56 a.m.  7/27/17

The Ohio State Fair announced it will open gates at 9 a.m. today, and other activities will resume as scheduled. 

UPDATE @ 10:35 p.m. 

The Ohio State Fair will be open Thursday but the rides will remain shut down until they are inspected again, Gov. John Kasich said at a news conference tonight at the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy, on the grounds of the state fair in Columbus. 

"This is the worst tragedy in the history of the fair," he said. "It is a very, very sad night for all of us." 

Kasich said he will at the fairgrounds Thursday, hoping to be able to speak with the people who were affected by the fatal ride accident. 

He said the state highway patrol and the state department of agriculture will investigate the incident, along with his office. 

The governor promised that all available information about the Fire Ball -- and all the rides at the fair -- will be made available for public scrutiny. He wants the information made available because there may be things that can be learned that could apply at other state and county fairs, and amusement parks. 

GRAPHIC IMAGES: Footage from Ohio State Fair accident

Mike Vartorella, the state’s chief ride inspector, said he and his four-person crew signed off on the Fire Ball, a ride he called "a spectacular piece" of equipment, on Wednesday, the first day of the 2017 edition of the fair. 

All rides are inspected by him and his staff before they are put together, as they are being put together and when they have been put together. 

Vartorella said he and his crew regularly perform inspections on the rides every day. 

"A tragedy like this hits all of really hard," he said, noting that he and other people have children and grandchildren they want to be safe at the fair. 

Kasich, backing the inspection team, pointed out that there were at least 10 rides not operating Wednesday because inspectors were not satisfied with what they saw. 

"We don't want to speculate on any of this," he said. "We're not going to take anything for granted. We don't want to pre-judge the investigation."

Aerial scenes above accident at Ohio State Fair

UPDATE @ 9:45 p.m.:

A man was killed on impact when he was thrown into the air and landed on the ground about 50 feet from the ride, Columbus Fire Division Battalion Chief Steve Marton told the Columbus Dispatch.

Martin said the incident happened around 7:20 p.m.

According to the Amusements of America website, The Fire Ball combines swinging and spinning action in one ride. It debuted in 2002, and swings riders 40 feet above the midway while spinning them at 13 revolutions per minute. The New Jersey-based company provides the rides for the Ohio State Fair, and other events across the country.

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center received three of the seven people injured on The Fire Ball ride at the Ohio State Fair. In a Tweet, the hospital said it will provide further updates as information becomes available.

U.S. Sens. Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman tonight issued statements regarding the Ohio State Fair accident.

Lt. Mary Taylor also issued a statement tonight on her Twitter account: “We are continuing to monitor the tragic situation at the @OhioState Fair.”

The ride at the fair malfunctioned.

UPDATE @ 9:07 p.m.

One man died and seven were injured - five critically - on Wednesday night at the Ohio State Fair when a ride called The Fire Ball malfunctioned. 

Ohio Gov. John Kasich ordered all fair rides shut down and an investigation into the incident, which occurred during the opening night of the state fair.

"I am terribly saddened by this accident, by the loss of life and that people were injured enjoying Ohio's fair," Kasich said in a statement issued on Twitter after the accident. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to those grieving and injured."

Battalion Chief Steve Martin, a Columbus Fire Division spokesman, said some or all of the victims were reported to have been thrown from the ride, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

>>ON THE WAY TO THE SCENE: NewsCenter 7’s James Buechele on the way to the Ohio State Fair

UPDATE @ 8:47 p.m.

All fair rides are shut down pending additional inspections, Gov. John Kasich announced on his social media account.

Kasich Tweeted a statement about The Fire Ball ride accident that left one man dead and seven injured, five critically, at the Ohio State Fair.

UPDATE @ 8:37 p.m.

Witnesses said an arm of a ride appeared to fly off The Fire Ball ride, flinging at least one rider to the ground, killing one and injuring six at the Ohio State Fair tonight.

“I was in line for the ride right next to The Fire Ball ride and I heard screaming and looked to my right and saw people fly (off) the ride,” wrote a Twitter user named Angelica.

UPDATE @ 8:23 p.m.

One person is dead and six injured after an accident on a ride at the Ohio State Fair  tonight, according to 10TV.com, our media partner in Columbus.

UPDATE @ 8 p.m.

There are at least five injuries reported following the ride accident tonight during the opening day of the Ohio State Fair, the Columbus Dispatch reported.

RELATED: Ohio spends $1.17 million to inspect amusement rides

FIRST REPORT

Numerous emergency responders are on scene at the Ohio State Fair tonight for a report of a serious ride malfunction.

The fair opened today.

A caller to the News Center 7 newsroom said he heard a loud boom from the ride called “The Fire Ball” and that there were multiple injuries. However, his report has not been confirmed.

RELATED: After tragedies, rides inspected for safety at area fairs

We are working to learn more information about the incident.

Download our free mobile apps for breaking news and weather

Police: Gunshot breaks man leg in Dayton

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 10:51 AM

A man was shot on Gettysburg Ave in Dayton

UPDATE @ 11:53 a.m.:

A man was shot in the leg in the area of North Gettysburg Avenue and Glenbrook Drive and police are still looking for the shooter in the case this morning.

Police said the man is expected to recover and believe he was shot by a person inside an apartment nearby, according to police.

>> Read the latest local stories in the Miami Valley 

Officers searched the apartment, however did not locate a suspect, but did find drug paraphernalia inside the residence, police said.

INITIAL REPORT:

A man has reportedly been shot in the leg on North Gettysburg Avenue in Dayton Thursday morning. 

Dayton police and medics were dispatched to the area of North Gettysburg Avenue and Glenbrook Drive around 10:45 a.m. on reports of a person shot. 

TRENDING: Latest from the fatal accident at the Ohio State Fair

Initial reports from the scene indicate a man was found suffering from at least one gunshot wound to his leg. 

We have a crew on the way and we’ll update this page as we learn more. 

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Miami University facing 2 new federal probes over handling of sexual assault

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 12:00 PM

Contributed
Contributed

Miami University in Oxford is facing two new federal investigations into its handling of sexual violence cases.

On June 9, the U.S. Department of Education launched two new investigations of Miami’s handling of sexual assault cases. The investigations were made public this week as the department of education released an updated list of investigations at colleges on Wednesday.

Details of the cases have not been released. The Dayton Daily News has reached out to Miami University’s communications office for comment.

RELATED: Miami U. student sues, claims unfair suspension for sex assault claim

The latest investigations come after a previous one was launched Nov. 3 at Miami. The Nov. 3 investigation remains open, according to the department of education.

The three investigations mean Miami has the most cases under federal review of any Ohio college right now. There are 18 cases being investigated at 10 Ohio colleges, according to the list.

Both Ohio State University and the University of Cincinnati each have two cases currently under review. The most recent investigation at OSU was launched on Jan. 3 while the latest at UC started on Feb. 17, according to the list.

So far this year three other investigations were launched at three other Ohio colleges including Akron University, Denison University in Granville and Oberlin College in Oberlin.

RELATED: More male students filing lawsuits alleging unfair sexual assault claims

Investigations at Wittenberg University, over complaints from 2011 and 2013, were resolved earlier this year.

In total, there are 346 sexual violence cases under federal investigation at 243 institutions, according to the department of education. That’s up from 306 investigations at 225 schools in January, this news organization reported.

The I-Team last year printed an in-depth investigation of sexual assaults on college campuses, and obstacles to them leading to serious criminal charges.

Joint Chiefs: Transgender policy won't change until Pentagon gets it in writing from Trump

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 11:46 AM

Trump: Transgender People Won't Be Allowed In The Military

The nation’s highest ranking military officer said in a letter Thursday to top military officials that there will not be changes to the military’s transgender policy until after President Donald Trump sends direction to the Pentagon.

>> Read more trending news

"I know there are questions about yesterday's announcement on the transgender policy by the president," Marine Gen. Joe Dunford wrote in the message, addressed to the chiefs of the services and senior enlisted leaders, according to Politico. "There will be no modifications to the current policy until the president's direction has been received by the secretary of defense and the secretary has issued implementation guidance.”

A photo of the letter was shared on Twitter Thursday by CNN reporter Barbara Starr.