log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, December 28, 2017 @ 10:27 AM
Updated: Thursday, December 28, 2017 @ 5:53 PM
DAYTON — Former Dayton Children’s Hospital Dr. Arun Aggarwal was sentenced Thursday to 10 months in prison and ordered to return to India upon his release after pleading guilty last week to four counts of gross sexual imposition stemming from allegations that the pediatric gastroenterologist inappropriately touched the breasts of two teenage female patients.
Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Mary Wiseman issued the sentence, which was in line with Aggarwal’s plea deal. He was given credit for the four months he has spent at the Montgomery County Jail with bail set at $500,000.
“(Aggarwal’s) main concern of course is getting back with his family, as well as…sparing the victims in this case further trauma of a trial. He has expressed to me his genuine remorse, his eagerness to get on with his life and rejoin his family,” said Aggarwal’s attorney, Samuel Shamansky, on behalf of his client, who declined to speak.
When he is released from prison, Aggarwal will have to register as a Tier 1 offender, meaning he will be unable to reside within 1,000 feet of a school, preschool or daycare and must register his address every year for 15 years.
But his plea deal requires him to either leave the country voluntarily or be deported. He is currently in the U.S. on a work visa.
“He came here to help people, and that’s not what happened. He took advantage of people,” said Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor Leon Daidone.
Aggarwal practiced at Dayton Children’s Hospital, but he was employed by Wright State University. He was hired in December 2013 and terminated by WSU in September 2015 after his hospital admitting privileges lapsed during the police investigation.
Aggarwal sued Wright State in federal court alleging he was fired without due process, and an arbitrator has ruled the university has to pay Aggarwal $91,799 because the school didn’t follow proper steps to fire him. The university may appeal the decision.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 7:40 AM
SPRINGFIELD — A Springfield man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly whipped a pregnant woman with a belt.
Ethan S. Gavin, 20, is facing one count each of domestic violence, resisting arrest and obstructing official business. He’s expected to appear in court at 10:30 a.m. today.
The Springfield Police Division was called to the 2600 block of Lagonda Avenue at about 10 a.m. Monday morning about an argument between a man and a woman, according to a police report.
A police officer took the victim to a back bedroom to get more information about the situation, the report said. Gavin then went outside, but later back inside and attempted to enter the bedroom. A police officer had to stop him with his hand, but he refused to leave the room.
Gavin was then placed under arrest, but refused to cooperate. He then began wrestling with officers and was eventually tased by officers.
Gavin allegedly choked the victim with both hands, punched her in the head and whipped her with a belt on the arms, legs and stomach, the report said. The victim also told police she is eight weeks pregnant.
Gavin was placed in the Clark County Jail.
3 QUICK CRIME READS
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 10:31 PM
KINGS MILLS, Warren County — Changes are being promised for Kings Schools in the wake of last week’s racist incident that drew national attention, but Tuesday evening district officials said details about those changes will come later.
That was the message from Kings’ leader and school board members, who took the resignation of their board vice president in the wake of some white, local teens wearing basketball jerseys that displayed racist slurs.
The Kings Board of Education voted 4-0 to formally accept the resignation of member Kerry McKiernan, who previously cited his own failure in stopping some of the boys on the recreational league basketball team – not affiliated with Kings -- from wearing jerseys with names that appeared to slur African-Americans.
The names on the backs of the jerseys included "Knee Grow" and "Coon." The team played in the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League.
McKiernan, whose son played on the now banned team that used Kings’ facilities, did not attend Tuesday’s board meeting and has not responded to requests for comment.
Last week McKiernan emotionally announced his intentions to resign, citing his failure to stop the team from wearing the jerseys during its first four games.
Superintendent Tim Ackermann told this news outlet he will soon be proposing systemic changes design to raise student, school staffers and community members’ awareness of the importance of racial and other diversity for the predominately white Warren County district.
“It’s really important to move forward and sustainable change is extremely important to us so that we can work to create a more loving, acceptable tolerant society,” said Ackermann. “We believe this is a community and societal issue around racism … intolerance, hate and bigotry and we all need to work together to make Kings the best place for all of our kids.”
He declined, however, to give details as to what district efforts are coming, saying the changes are still being studied.
“I don’t want to create something just to create something. Sustainable change doesn’t happen overnight,” said Ackermann.
Tom Squires, an African-American parent at Kings, was among the more than a dozen residents who attended the board meeting.
Afterward, Squires said the jersey incident, which has drawn national media attention, was “unfortunate.”
“We didn’t pay that close of attention as parents and we should have. We have to react swiftly and we have to make sure that people understand that this is not a district that condones that kind of thing,” said Squires, who has lived in the Deerfield Twp. school community for more than a decade.
“When you make a mistake you have to make sure you correct that mistake. Sometimes it’s not always fast but we have to make sure we make the right correction,” he said.
“This thing (reaction to the incident) is still evolving so it’s kind of hard for me to be critical of the district. They are still trying to make the correction and I think we should give them the opportunity to do so,” said Squires.
Under Ohio school law, the board now has until Feb. 9 to appoint a new board member and agreed during its meeting to accept applications until 4 p.m. on Jan. 24.
Applications will soon be available on the Kings Schools website.
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 1:15 PM
— UPDATE @ 3:02 p.m.:
Judge Richard Skelton has issued a temporary restraining order that blocks the city of Dayton’s emergency vacate order for the Newcom building.
Skelton said the building owner must purchase infrared heaters today for the remaining 18 tenants in the building. He ordered that the building be available for inspection to the court.
Skelton said he will review the matter every two days and planned to inspect the building tonight. “I will be watching this very closely,” Skelton said.
UPDATE @ 2:07 p.m.:
Judge Richard Skelton said he is willing to work with the building owner to avoid kicking residents out of their homes.
But he said he wants to know how quickly owner Howard Heck can acquire infrared heaters for the 18 residents who remain in the building.
About seven residents have moved out owing to the vacate order.
Heck’s attorney at first said his client would order the heaters on Amazon, but Skelton said he wanted a quick and definite plan for obtaining the heaters.
Skelton took a short recess in court to allow Heck time to try to figure out how he could get the heaters quickly.
The roughly 50 residents of a downtown Dayton apartment building who were ordered to vacate by Tuesday if the heating system was not repaired were awaiting the results of an emergency hearing this afternoon
Last week, city of Dayton housing inspection officials issued an emergency vacate order to residents at the Newcom Building, located at 255 N. Main St.
The building’s boiler was shut off because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, which can cause deadly poisoning.
Dayton crews discovered high levels of carbon monoxide in the boiler room after responding to a medic call at the Newcom building.
The city told the building’s ownership it had to repair or replace the boiler by Tuesday or the building would be boarded up and all residents would be required to leave.
The building is not safe to live in because it does not have a functioning heating system, officials said, and the especially cold weather poses a threat to residents.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:50 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:50 AM
Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .
Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.
Major Highway Incidents
Surface Street Incidents
>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter
Ongoing Construction & Other Closures
Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.
Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map.