Detective: We continue to follow leads in Katelyn Markham death

Published: Monday, August 15, 2016 @ 4:57 PM
Updated: Monday, August 15, 2016 @ 4:57 PM

Det Joe Nerlinger updates status of investigation for Lauren Pack story. 081616 markham movie

Fairfield’s Katelyn Markham would have been 27 years old Tuesday. But instead of presents, balloons and a cake, her family and friends will watch the premiere of a documentary chronicling her disappearance and death.

The hour-long documentary, entitled “Taken Too Soon: The Katelyn Markham Story,” explores the ongoing homicide investigation and unanswered questions surrounding the young art student’s disappearance in 2011 from her Fairfield home. Her remains were found two years later in a wooded area in Indiana.

Indiana State Police, the Fairfield Police Department and a retired Butler County Sheriff’s Office detective as well as a private detective have been working the case for years.

In December, Markham’s father asked the Butler County Sheriff’s Office to also investigate his daughter’s death.

Since then, sheriff’s detectives, including Det. Joe Nerlinger have been going over evidence.

On Monday, Nerlinger told this news outlet that the sheriff’s office continues to follow up on any leads.

“We have reviewed the extensive files and will continue to follow any and all leads in an effort to ensure justice for Katelyn,” Nerlinger said.

He declined to discuss any specifics in the case.

Michael Crisp, of Remix Films in Georgetown, Ky., produced the documentary that will premiere at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Showcase Cinema de Lux 18 on Springdale Road.

“We want people to see the film because it might trigger someone’s memory of the evening of the disappearance,” Crisp said. “They might know something that they’re keeping and have kept for several years, so that’s really our goal.”

Fairfield Police Chief Mike Dickey, who is featured in the film, said he too hopes the movie will spark something new in the cold case.

“There are cases that will remain open because of a lack of information,” Dickey said. “I understand his frustration, but at the same time the number of eyes that have looked at this from other public agencies — the Indiana State Police, Butler County Sheriff, us, BCI — … it’s had a thorough airing within the law enforcement community. So I’m confident that we’ve explored every option that’s been available to us.”

Crisp was hired by an anonymous victim’s advocate group to bring Markham’s story to the big screen.

Markham, a 22-year-old art student went missing from her Dorshire Drive residence during the early morning hours of Aug. 14, 2011. Police and volunteers looked for months to find the young woman who vanished leaving behind her purse, keys and her dog.

The case gained national media attention as days turned into months with no news on Markham’s whereabouts.

Then on April 7, 2013, skeletal remains were found in a remote wooded area in Cedar Grove, Ind. Within days, confirmation came that the remains were Katelyn’s, and the Franklin County Coroner ruled her death a homicide. However, the exact cause of death could not be determined.

A reward for information leading to the arrested and conviction of Markham’s killer has grown to $100,000 over the years.

Crisp said 100 to 125 seats of the 200-seat theater, are reserved for the Markham family and friends and the 29 people he interviewed over the past year-and-a-half to make the documentary.

This article contains previous reporting by staff writer Denise Callahan.

4 detained after SWAT surrounds Dayton apartment building

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 11:15 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 11:35 AM

Police standoff on Elsmere Avenue

UPDATE @ 12:55 p.m.:

Four people have been detained following a SWAT standoff on Elsmere Avenue in Dayton, police said.

The standoff stems from a robbery at an apartment, where a gun was used, officers said.

The girlfriend of the suspect came to the scene and was able to verify the suspect was in the apartment, police said.

UPDATE @ 11:35 a.m. 

Four people have been placed in handcuffs following a SWAT situation at an apartment on Elsmere Avenue in Dayton, according to our crew on the scene. 

RELATED: Facebook live showing what a driver was doing, lands two men in jail

Additional details about the standoff are not available. 

During the standoff, at least one of the people inside the apartment was broadcasting on Facebook Live, according to Dayton police scanner traffic. 

We’ll update this page as we learn more.

FIRST REPORT

We’re working to learn more about police activity at an apartment building on Elsmere Avenue in Dayton Thursday morning. 

Multiple Dayton police officers and SWAT members have responded to the 1900 block of Elsmere Avenue and have surrounded the building, according to our crew on the scene. 

Initial reports indicate a man is inside one of the apartments who has an outstanding warrant for his arrest. 

Additional details are not available. We’ll update this page as we learn more.

Judge denies request by ex-Miamisburg teacher facing teen sex charges

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 12:02 PM


            Jessica Langford
Jessica Langford

The request by a former Miamisburg teacher indicted on charges of sexual battery and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor student to have all grand jury testimony prepared for trial has been rejected.

But the judge’s ruling in the case against Jessica Langford, 32, of Centerville, left open the possibility that grand jury testimony of certain witnesses may be available for trial, which is set for April.

RELATED: New details in indicted ex-Miamisburg teacher’s teen sex charges

The attorney for Langford requested the secret proceedings be available for trial because their absence may “deprive the defendant of a fair adjudication of the allegations,” Montgomery County Common Pleas Court records state.

Attorney Lawrence Greger said there may be a “particularized need” in the case that would allow Judge Timothy O’Connell’s to permit the request, court records show.

RELATED: Indicted ex-Miamisburg teacher seeks teen accuser’s name, details of sex charges

O’Connell’s ruling states “the parties conclude that the existence of a particularized need is not evident at this time.”

“The evidence, at this point, seems to indicate that a particularized need may develop at trial, as this matter seems to turn on the existence of possible inconsistent statements by two witnesses,” McConnell’s ruling filed Jan. 11 states.

Langford was indicted Nov. 14 on three counts of sexual battery and three counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. On Nov. 21, Langford pleaded not guilty to all counts and has remained free on conditional recognizance, court records show.

-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Ex-Miamisburg Middle School teacher pleads not guilty to sexual conduct with student

RELATED: Sex-with-student cases swamp area schools

RELATED: Ex-Miamisburg Middle School student indicted on sex charge with student

RELATED: Five cases of alleged improper conduct of teachers

RELATED: Sex claim involving student led to paid leave, teacher resignation

RELATED: Middle school teacher resigns amid student sexual battery allegation

NEW DETAILS: What happens next to Tipp o’ the Town restaurant site?

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 11:15 AM

Tipp o’ the Town Family Restaurant to close Dec. 31.

The Tipp o’ the Town Family Restaurant property at 1150 W. Main St. in Tipp City has been purchased, and the new owners intend to demolish the existing structure and build a new eatery.

But it won’t be called Tipp o’ the Town. Instead, it will be called “Taco Bell.”

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Tipp City restaurant to shut its doors after 29 years

Paul Laubier, owner of Tipp o’ the Town, shut down the restaurant on Dec. 31. At the time, Laubier said there were two potential scenarios of what could happen to the property.

The company that owns the Taco Bell on the east side of the I-75-Ohio 571 interchange had the equivalent of first dibs on the property on the west side of the interchange — an option to purchase that extended through mid-January, Laubier said. If no deal was finalized during that time frame, Laubier said a second, unidentified potential buyer was interested in purchasing the property, and had indicated to Laubier that the restaurant would likely reopen as Tipp o’ the Town.

RELATED: Best of Dayton 2017 Winners: Food & Dining

Laubier said Wednesday night that the Taco Bell-connected company had exercised its purchase option, and plans to build a relocated Taco Bell on the site after demolishing the existing structure.

“I have 30 days to vacate,” Laubier said. “The deal is done, and money is in escrow.”

RELATED: Locally owned Mexican restaurant opens 1st Dayton-area location in Tipp City

The Tipp o’ the Town Family Restaurant was a community mainstay for more than 29 years. The building has housed a restaurant since the mid-1960s, when an Aunt Jemimah’s Pancake House opened there, and it has had stints as Calico Kitchen, Ye Old Family Inn and Cindy’s, Laubier said. When Laubier opened Tipp o’ the Town in the fall of 1988, the space had been empty for more than a year.

ALSO IN TIPP: Judge issues preliminary ruling in mom-vs.-son Tipp City restaurant lawsuit (August 2017)

Now 66, Laubier said it was time for him to retire. But he said the “Tipp o’ the Town” business name and the restaurant’s recipes are still for sale to anyone who would want to reopen with the same or similar concept in another location.

“I’d love to keep the name going,” the now-retired restaurant owner said. “It would be a perfect opportunity for someone to open Tipp o’ the Town somewhere else in Tipp City.”

Robert Zavakos — senior vice president of the commercial real estate firm NAI Bergman -- represented the Taco Bell-affiliated company in the real-estate transaction. 

U.S. marshal killed, officers wounded while serving warrant in Pennsylvania

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 8:26 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 11:19 AM

U.S. Marshal Shot, Killed While Serving Warrant in Pennsylvania

A deputy U.S. marshal was killed and two police officers were injured Thursday morning when authorities said they were shot while serving a search warrant, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

PennLive.com reported that a deputy U.S. marshal was killed in the shooting, which happened around 6:30 a.m. in Harrisburg. Two other officers were injured, including a Harrisburg police officer, Harrisburg Mayor Eric Papenfuse said Thursday in a statement.