Dad dons "Daisy Dukes" to teach daughter lesson

Published: Thursday, September 12, 2013 @ 8:46 AM
Updated: Thursday, September 12, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

Scott Mackintosh's teenage daughter is probably reassessing her wardrobe this morning, as well as trying to live down his outrageous and unforgettable stunt.

According to Mackintosh, he had been expressing his displeasure with her somewhat skimpy outfits for weeks. When he realized his message wasn't getting through, he decided to take a rather bold step. 

One night before leaving home for a family night out, Mackintosh heard his wife arguing with his daughter, "I heard my wife ask our daughter if she would please change into some longer shorts before leaving. She said “NO!”  Instead of turning her response and disrespectful attitude into a major battle, I decided to make a “small” statement on how her short-shorts maybe aren’t as “cute” as she thinks!"

So, he took out a pair of scissors and turned a pair of his own jeans into short-shorts, "There was only about an inch of material below the crotch of the shorts." 

Mackintosh says when he walked out to his car where the family was waiting for him, his kids didn't even notice his new attire, "As I walked out to the car I could see my daughter and my son in the back seat with their heads down focused on their phones …needless to say they didn't even notice."

The family then went out to eat at a local restaurant, where the kids finally noticed their dad's outfit. But Mackintosh says his daughter at least pretended that his fashion statement didn't bother her, even when he wore them to miniature golf. It wasn't until they decided to go to a popular ice cream spot that she broke down and refused to go inside with the rest of the family. 

Mackintosh realizes he was tough on the teen, but feels she'll appreciate it … one day, "My daughter will always know that her dad loves her and cares about her enough to make a fool out of himself."

Mackintosh describes the entire episode on the family's blog.

Kettering qualifies for state auditor award

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 2:28 PM


            City of Kettering sign

A recent financial audit of the city of Kettering by Auditor of State Dave Yost’s office has returned a clean audit report, according to a press release by Yost’s office. The city’s record keeping has qualified it for the Auditor of State Award with Distinction.

RELATED: City, local group spar over mailer sent to Kettering residents

“Taxpayers expect accurate financial records from their local governments,” Auditor Yost said. “The city of Kettering’s dedication to accountability is evident.”

The Auditor of State Award with Distinction is presented to local governments and school districts upon the completion of a financial audit. Entities that receive the award meet the following criteria of a “clean” audit report.

MORE: Kettering residents to decide on term limits, more on November ballot

• The entity must file timely financial reports with the Auditor of State’s office in the form of a CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report);

• The audit report does not contain any findings for recovery, material citations, material weaknesses, significant deficiencies, Single Audit findings or questioned costs;

• The entity’s management letter contains no comments related to:

  • Ethics referrals
  • Questioned costs less than $10,000
  • Lack of timely report submission
  • Reconciliation
  • Failure to obtain a timely Single Audit
  • Findings for recovery less than $100
  • Public meetings or public records

Earlier this month, Kettering responded to a citizen-led mailer that critized the city for what they described as spending “in excess.”

President Donald Trump promises balanced budget in 10 years

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 12:22 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 7:22 PM

President Donald Trump’s first budget — which includes $3.6 trillion in cuts over 10 years — would slash federal dollars to most discretionary programs but beef up money for Defense, veteran services and Homeland Security amid a promise of a balanced budget by 2027.

“Finally we have a president who presents a pathway to a balanced budget, an enthusiastic Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Urbana, said. “This budget provides much-needed increases in spending for our military while also reforming our welfare system by incentivizing work for able-bodied adults.”

RELATED: Trump budget plan calls for $3.6 trillion in spending cuts

But advocates for Ohio’s poor said proposed cuts to social programs, including food stamps and Medicaid, would devastate “the most vulnerable people in our society.”

Of the 1.5 million Ohioans receiving food stamps, 84.4 percent are children, seniors and disabled, said Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks.

Hamler-Fugitt called the cuts “shameful.”

“The Trump budget proposes dramatic cuts to one of the most effective poverty reduction programs in the country,” she said. “He’s taking food off the tables of everyday families.”

Several lawmakers Tuesday emphasized that the budget is a mere proposal and hardly cast in stone. “I don’t think the president’s budget is going anywhere,” said Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, wasn’t that blunt but did say the plan will undergo much revision in Congress.

RELATED: Trump budget slashes money of clean air and water programs

“The president and his people have given their recommendation,” he said. “Now it’s our job to go through the appropriations process…to come up with our own proposal. Congress has to appropriate every dime.”

Some Ohioans — including Portman — breathed a sigh of relief that the proposed budget plan calls for saving the federal Office of National Drug Control Policy, a federal program that coordinates federal spending on drugs.

RELATED: House passes $1.1T spending bill

Trump’s draft budget — released weeks ago — had all but slated that office and its two major programs for elimination, drawing widespread condemnation from Democrats and Republicans alike who argued the office and its so-called drug czar are on the front lines in the national fight against opioid addiction.

The budget released Tuesday cut the office’s overall administrative costs from $20 million to $18.4 million, but kept its programs intact. Richard Baum, acting director of National Drug Control Policy, said he believed that staff could “find ways to continue all of our operations” with the request.

RELATED: Trump budget proposal includes 25% cut to food stamps

Portman said he appreciated that the White House “has changed course” on on the drug czar, but he wasn’t so happy with the proposed elimination of federal money to the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, which is aimed at cleaning up the Great Lakes.

In documents explaining the budget, the administration argues that the $300 million saved by eliminating the program will enable the Environmental Protection Agency to refocus on “core national work.”

Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, said the money is needed to preserve a valuable natural resource.

“Taking a blow torch to the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative could cost Ohio jobs that rely on the lake, and jeopardize public health by putting our drinking water at risk,” said Brown. “Those of us along the Great Lakes will not stand for a budget that eliminates the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.”

Any budget proposal in a divided political arena has its critics, but Trump’s first budget seemed to land with a fairly loud thud. While conservative like Jordan applauded its promise to end deficit spending within 10 years, others poked holes in proposals that called for gutting even programs with large and motivated constituencies.

“What is going on in the White House with this kind of budget?” asked Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. “How many people in America want to cut cancer research? President Trump evidently does.”

Proposed cuts to Medicaid and education seemed to draw the loudest rebukes. The Medicaid cuts alone would amount to $600 billion, according to some estimates, and that doesn’t include the billions that would be trimmed from the program if the House-passed Republican health care bill becomes law.

“We’re no longer going to measure compassion by the number of programs or the number of people on those programs, but by the number of people we help get off those programs,” said Mick Mulvaney, director of the Office of Management and Budget.

“Compassion needs to be on both sides of that equation. Yes, you have to have compassion for folks who are receiving the federal funds, but also you have to have compassion for the folks who are paying it.”

Thomas Gentzel, executive director and CEO of the National School Boards Association, said the $9 billion in proposed education cuts would “deliver a devastating blow” to the nation’s education system if enacted.

Mike Uhl, president of Atrium Medical Center in Middletown, said the Medicaid cuts would force hospitals like his to cut jobs and absorb the cost of more uncompensated care.

“Health care coverage is vital to working Americans (and) it’s vital that we not overlook the impact this will have on jobs,” Uhl said.

Ohio has much to lose from Trump’s budget proposals, according to Wendy Patton, senior project manager of Policy Matters Ohio, a left–leaning research group. Patton said the health care sector is a critical part of Ohio’s economy and the growth of private health care jobs in recent years has helped blunt the loss of manufacturing jobs in rural and urban counties alike.

There were some wins in the budget for Ohio. In addition to the additional money being ponied up for Defense, the budget request included money for cleanup work at the former uranium enrichment plant in Portsmouth, Ohio.

Portman said the $351 million budget request, if enacted, “would ensure there are no layoffs and that cleanup of the site stays on track.”

Rep. Warren Davidson, R-Troy, said Trump’s budget “bends the out of control spending curve in the right direction by making good on his promises to reform mandatory spending, cut wasteful programs, and balance the budget.”

“This is a serious proposal to begin addressing our nation’s fiscal crisis,” he said.

Information from the Los Angeles Times and the Associated Press was used in this story.

Trump seeks $52B increase in defense spending

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 7:24 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 7:24 PM


            The U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor. TY GREENLEES / STAFF

The Trump administration unveiled a $639.1 billion defense budget proposal Tuesday that it says is a step toward restoring military readiness levels that would boost the number of airmen in uniform.

As part of the budget, however, the administration is asking for a new round of military base closures in 2021.

RELATED: Trump budget calls for $3.6T in spending cuts, boost to defense

The proposed defense budget is a $52 billion increase over defense spending caps imposed under sequestration, and a 3 percent hike over an Obama administration plan, defense officials said. The budget proposes $574.5 billion in baseline spending and an additional $64.6 billion in wartime spending for overseas operations.

“This is not a historic buildup but a repair budget,” defense analyst Mackenzie Eaglen of the conservative American Enterprise Institute, said in an email. “The president’s request is attempting to plug the holes and fill the gaps across the Defense Department and military services.”

‘Will not be enough’

While the budget increase stands out against cuts to many domestic programs, some defense hawks said the amount proposed doesn’t reach the levels necessary to rebuild the military, restore readiness and address combating terrorism and rising adversary threats.

“While I support President Trump’s commitment and intent to rebuild the military, this budget request will not be enough to do what he has said is needed to improve military capabilities and readiness,” U.S. Rep. Mike Turner, R-Dayton, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, said in a statement.

A Pentagon official defended the size of the increase in a briefing Wednesday.

RELATED: Exclusive: Top Air Force general says ‘all programs at risk’

“Fifty-two billion is not chump change,” said Defense Department Comptroller John P. Roth. “We’re not going to solve the readiness problem in one year. We’re not going to modernize in one year.”

Under the Trump administration proposal, Air Force spending would rise to a total of $183 billion compared to $171.1 billion this fiscal year, and add 4,100 airmen and dozens of F-35 fighter planes, documents show. Acquisition spending, a key mission at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, would also rise. Research and development spending would be “stable,” said Michael Gessel, Dayton Development Coalition vice president of federal programs.

“On its face, it looks like good news for Wright-Patt,” but Congress isn’t likely to pass the federal budget President Donald Trump wants, said Loren B. Thompson, a senior defense analyst with the Virginia-based Lexington Institute and a defense industry consultant.

Gessel said the budget “positions Wright-Patterson for future growth.” He also said the defense plan is significant because it marks the first time the Trump administration asked for a round of base closures.

The budget did not include any major military construction dollars for Wright-Patterson.

RELATED: Air Force responds to Trump over Air Force One costs

The Air Force has struggled to restore readiness levels, which dropped to “historically low levels” four years ago and “will take years to fully rebuild,” an Air Force budget document says. The military branch wants to boost incentives to pilots and mechanics to reverse manpower shortages in the ranks.

Airmen in uniform would receive a 2.1 percent hike in military pay and civilian employees a 1.9 percent pay boost under the proposal. Military personnel would receive a 3.2 percent hike in a housing subsidy and 3.4 percent for basic allowance for subsistence, budget documents show.

More airmen in the ranks

The administration’s Air Force budget proposal raises the number of active duty airmen to 325,100, up 4,100 troops versus the prior year. The Air Guard would add 900 — boosting troop strength to 106,600 — while the Air Force Reserve would add 800, for a total of 69,800.

Research, development, test and evaluation spending would jump sharply to $25.4 billion, from $20.2 billion this year.

Procurement spending would jump to a total of $42 billion, an increase of about $1.1 billion compared to the current fiscal year.

The service branch plans to purchase 46 F-35A Joint Strike Fighters, part of a Defense Department plan to buy 70 of the jets for $10.3 billion.

The Air Force would purchase 15 KC-46 Pegasus refueling tanker jets for $3.1 billion, and spend $2 billion on research and development of the future B-21 Raider stealth bomber, the top acquisition priorities in addition to the controversial F-35, which has faced cost overruns and technical delays.

In a closely watched Wright-Patterson managed program criticized by Trump, spending on development of a future Boeing 747-8 to replace the current fleet of two presidential jets will rise to $434 million versus $322 million the year prior.

The budget spends millions to update the F-22 Raptor, F-16 Fighting Falcon and the F-15 Eagle and unmanned drones. It removes a retirement date for the long-serving U-2 spy plane.

Dead on arrival?

Eaglen acknowledged the proposals won’t get through Congress without revision.

“Members from Sen. (John) McCain to Sen. (John) Cornyn have said this budget is straight up DOA. They’re right,” he said. “But it is still a useful framing document for where DoD will invest the money once it comes even though that is likely a long time from now.”

Tampa Bay mayor’s joke about shooting media, watch them ‘cry like little girls,’ falls flat  

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 7:18 PM

Tampa Bay Mayor Bob Buckhorn, pictured here during a Special Operations Capabilities Demonstration in 2016, is walking back comments he made at a military conference last week. Buckhorn said that when firing blanks from a machine gun, he likes to point the gun at the media first, and watch ‘grown men cry like little girls ... I love it.’
Luke Sharrett/Bloomberg via Getty Images

 

A Florida mayor’s joke about firing blanks from a machine gun at the media has landed him in hot water. 

Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn, who joked about pointing the gun at reporters as part of a military exercise, said he has told that same joke before but it didn’t get much criticism until he told it again at a Special Operations Industry Conference last week, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

>> Read more trending news

“The first place I point that gun is at the media,” Buckhorn said to a room of more than 1,000 attendees, the Times reported. “I’ve never seen grown men cry like little girls, for when that gun goes off those media folks just hit the deck like no one’s business. It’s great payback. I love it.”

Buckhorn’s words went viral, leading to dozens of complaints made to City Hall. In a statement, his spokeswoman told the Times that Buckhorn, the son of a wire service reporter and brother of a CNN cameraman, respects the media and didn’t intend to offend anyone with his joke.

>> Related: Toddler recovering after shooting himself

Buckhorn, who is part of the Democratic Party, dismissed complaints made by war correspondents at first, saying they were silly, but the story gained national attention, and the mayor’s spokeswoman said his joke was never meant to be taken seriously, the Times reported.

The two-term mayor will leave office in 2019 because of term limits.

Read more at the Tampa Bay Times.