18-year-old suspect in Huber Heights AT&T store robbery indicted

Published: Monday, February 05, 2018 @ 3:31 PM
Updated: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Huber Heights robbery suspect in court

UPDATE @ 3:25 p.m. (Feb. 9):

Caleb W. Johnson was indicted Friday on two counts of aggravated robbery and single counts of kidnapping and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, according to court records.

A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Update@2:55 p.m. (Feb. 9):

Caleb W. Johnson, 18, the only adult among the group of seven teens accused of robbing the Huber Heights AT&T store, has posted bond and is no longer in jail, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s office. No other details were immediately available. 

First report: 

The All-Ohio football player from Springfield High School admitted to his role in the robbery of a Huber Heights AT&T store, according to a court paperwork.

Caleb W. Johnson, 18 — the only adult among a group of seven teens charged in the Feb. 1 armed robbery — appeared Monday in the Montgomery County Municipal Court in Huber Heights.

A judge entered a plea of not guilty on Johnson’s behalf and set bond at $50,000 with electronic home detention (EHD) if Johnson makes bail.

RELATED: ‘Not going to sugarcoat’ that juveniles could face long prison time, judge says

A preliminary hearing wasn’t scheduled because the judge said it’s a bypass case that will go to a grand jury for possible felony indictment and placement in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Several of Johnson’s friends and current and/or ex-teammates arrived near the end of the proceedings and prayed outside the courthouse. All of his supporters refused to be interviewed on the record.

Johnson admitted to the armed robbery, according to a complaint and affidavit filed by a detective. Johnson was charged with aggravated robbery, two counts of failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.

RELATED: Huber Heights robbery may be connected to Springfield case

Johnson — who attended Trotwood-Madison High School until his senior year — had no juvenile court record in Montgomery County outside of a traffic violation. Johnson, a wide receiver, was to make a recruiting visit to Eastern Kentucky University, according to coach Maurice Douglass.

After the juvenile court hearing on Friday, an aunt of one of the defendants said many of the boys knew each other from playing youth football with the Dayton Flames.

One of Johnson’s co-defendants, a 16-year-old Trotwood boy, was one of multiple juveniles charged in an April 2016 incident in which a car was stolen and drove away from a gas station with the vehicle’s driver clinging on the hood.

RELATED: Woman clings to stolen car as it swerves

Cherity Martin, 23, suffered a broken wrist, various cuts and bruises to her arms and legs and a minor head injury, according to Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies. She had been driving her mother’s Chrysler Sebring when she stopped to buy a soft drink.

The juvenile was 14 when that happened, according to Montgomery County Juvenile Court records and has the longest record of the six facing possible transfers to adult court.

Deputies suspected a group of juveniles were involved in the theft of a car in Moraine. The 2016 incidents resulted in the arrest of six juveniles from 14 to 17 years old for the aggravated robbery at the Valero gas station on Philadelphia Drive in Harrison Twp. and the car theft.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Some of those juveniles also were suspected in an attempted break-in of a Sprint store at The Greene in Beavercreek.

Huber Heights police are speaking with law enforcement in Springfield and Miami Twp. to determine if similar crimes are connected to last week’s Huber Heights AT&T robbery.

The six juvenile suspects face another court hearing Feb. 16.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories

2nd person charged with threatening juvenile judge on social media

Published: Thursday, February 08, 2018 @ 11:53 AM
Updated: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 5:51 PM

Devin Wilson
Devin Wilson

UPDATE @5:49 p.m. (Feb. 17)

A mugshot has been released of a second man charged with making threats on social media toward juvenile court judge Anthony Capizzi.

Marquan Cooper, 22, is wanted on a charge of intimidation. 

RELATED: ‘Not going to sugarcoat:’ Judge tells teens they could face years in prison

UPDATE @ 5:02 p.m. (Feb 16)

A second person has now been charged with making threats on social media toward juvenile court judge Anthony Capizzi.

Marquan Cooper, 22, of Dayton was charged with one count of intimidation.

Cooper was said to have made threats toward Capizzi and his family on social media using the alias “Quannie Coop”, according to the prosecutor’s office.

UPDATE @ 3:35 p.m. (Feb. 16)

Devin Wilson was indicted in Montgomery County for intimidation. He will be arraigned Feb. 22.

UPDATE @ 1:30 p.m. (Feb. 9)

Devin Wilson, 24, of Dayton has been formally charged in a threat made against a juvenile court judge, said Montgomery County Prosecuting Attorney Mat Heck, Jr. in a release. 

The alleged threat against Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi was made on Feb. 2 on social media under the alias of "Ball Meezy," the release said. 

Wilson is charged with one count intimidation, a third‐degree felony. His case will now be presented to a grand jury. 

Wilson is currently on probation for a drug trafficking offense.

Heck’s release said his office will be seeking that Wilson be taken off probation and sentenced to 18 months in prison. 

"The defendant, on probation for less than one month, threatened a judge about a case, which is an assault on the entire criminal justice system. We have to take these matters very seriously, whether someone is threatening a judge, a prosecutor, a police 

officer, or any other court officer,” Heck said in a release.

EARLIER REPORT

A 24-year-old Dayton man was arrested Wednesday in connection with social media threats against a juvenile court judge, according to Dayton police.

Devin Wilson was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on a possible third-degree felony charge of intimidation or bribery of a public servant.

RELATED: Social media threats made against judge in Huber Heights robbery case

Social media posts advocating violence against Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi were reported to several law enforcement agencies, according to an email obtained by this news organization.

Capizzi is handling the juvenile court portion of the Huber Heights AT&T armed robbery case involving six juveniles and one adult.

A Dayton police report shows Wilson was arrested at 8:40 p.m. Wednesday at his residence on Edison Street. 

“If I ever see him I’m beating the (expletive) outta him he better pray I don’t catch him downtown coming out of that building,” said one post that included a photo of Capizzi.

RELATED: Man who shot Ohio judge is father of HS football player convicted in rape

Another post discovered by this news organization said, in part: “Somebody need to split Judge Capizzi wig when he get off work.”

Capizzi declined to comment.

RELATED: 3 dead after shooting at Michigan courthouse

Wilson was on probation after pleading guilty in January to aggravated trafficking of drugs. Wilson received five years’ community control as part of a plea in which a charge of trafficking of cocaine was dropped.

If found guilty of violating his probation, Wilson could face 18 months in prison plus whatever sanction is imposed if he is found guilty of a crime, according to a judge’s ruling in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

In another case that was considered in Wilson’s probation, he was found guilty of possession of less than five grams of cocaine and aggravated possession of drugs.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man arrested 18th time for indecent exposure, police say

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 1:03 PM

Nebraska Man Arrested For 18th Alleged Indecent Exposure

A Nebraska man has been arrested for the 18th time for indecent exposure, authorities said.

The latest incident took place Thursday at an Omaha food court, KETV reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Witnesses told KETV that Shawn Noble, 39, was yelling obscenities when he emerged from the food court restroom completely naked. When the property manager ordered him back into the bathroom to put on his clothes, he lunged at her, witnesses said.

Food court employees were able to barricade Noble inside the restroom until police arrived, KETV reported. Noble was charged with indecent exposure and disorderly conduct and taken to the Douglas County Jail.

Noble, a lifetime registered sex offender and transient, has over 30 arrests, including 17 previous arrests for alleged indecent exposure, KETV reported. He recently completed a six-month jail sentence for a 2017 indecent exposure conviction, according to court documents reviewed by KETV.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida woman ‘just out of rehab’ had open 12-pack of beer, child in car, deputies say

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 3:47 PM

Roque
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Roque(Palm Beach Post Staff Writer)

A Florida woman was arrested on Thursday after deputies said she drove intoxicated with a child sitting above an open case of beer tucked in the back seat.

A Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy pulled over Miami resident Stephanie Roque, 30, about 11 a.m. after she made a complete stop in her SUV in the center of a lane, the Palm Beach Post reported. The deputy said that Roque’s drivers license was suspended, and noticed she had a “strong smell of alcohol,” the arrest report states.

>> Read more trending news 

Roque told the deputy that she “just got out of rehab today for a drinking problem,” according to the report. The deputy found a child in the backseat of the car with an open 12-pack of beer sitting underneath the child’s feet, the Palm Beach Post reported. Only nine of the 12 beers were in the case, the report states.

The deputy had Roque perform roadside sobriety tests, and then arrested her on charges of DUI and child neglect. Roque was booked into the Palm Beach County jail and released Thursday after posting a $4,000 bond, according to jail records.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Woman said she was frustrated when she tossed dog out of moving car

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2018 @ 2:36 PM

Janet Byas
Parker County Sheriff's Office
Janet Byas(Parker County Sheriff's Office)

A woman in Texas has been arrested after she was caught on camera tossing her small dog named Pumpkin out of a moving vehicle.

The Chihuahua-mixed breed survived the incident and was found Thursday roaming a family's rural property in Weatherford, WFAA reported. Surveillance cameras on the property provided clear identification of the vehicle. The dog's microchip further confirmed the owner's identity. 

>> Read more trending news 

When questioned by Sgt. Ricky Montgomery, Janet Byas, 43, initially denied tossing the dog out of the vehicle. When the evidence of her involvement was presented to her, Montgomery said she admitted that she threw the dog out of the car because she was frustrated with it. She said Pumpkin would not stay on her property and she "couldn't handle it anymore," WFAA reported.

When WFAA asked for Montgomery's reaction to Byas' reasoning for throwing the dog out of the car, Montgomery said, "Grow up."

Byas was arrested and charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty.

Pumpkin is recovering from the ordeal and will eventually be available for adoption, Parker County Animal Control said.

Trending - Most Read Stories