15-year-old charged in fatal May crash in Warren County

Published: Friday, September 29, 2017 @ 2:26 PM

A roadside memorial set up at crash site.

A 15-year-old Montgomery County boy has been charged in a fatal crash in May outside Springboro.

Hosny Mousa, of Washington Twp., Montgomery County, is charged with aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular homicide, no operator’s license and speeding.

Earlier this week, Judge Joe Kirby ordered Mousa to remain in Warren County juvenile detention until Nov. 2.

He was charged and held after his arraignment on Sept. 13, more than three months after the May 25 crash in which Noah Theiss, 17, of Franklin Twp., was killed on a narrow, winding section of Springboro Road.

The charges were filed once the Ohio Highway Patrol submitted the accident reconstruction report, Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell said Friday.

Theiss lived in Franklin Twp. and attended Bishop Fenwick High School.

Three homemade wooden crosses and flowers mark a roadside memorial on the south side of the road, just east of the Sycamore Preserve Park southeast of Springboro.

“He was a fun-loving friend to all; he loved his family and friends dearly and honored all relationships,” according to his obituary.

RELATED: 15-year-old was driving at time of fatal crash

“Noah, Rest Easy,” reads a plaque handing from one cross. “RIP Forever,” reads another.

Theiss was pronounced dead at the scene, just east of where Red Lion-Lytle Road runs into Springboro Road and heads north toward Springboro.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Lawrence Budd on Twitter

Theiss died after being partially ejected in one of a series of tragic fatal crashes in the area involving teen victims, according to reports.

Boy stops man to get help for Dayton gunshot victim

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 4:57 PM
Updated: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 1:00 AM

FROM SCENE: Child stops man to get help for Dayton gunshot victim

UPDATE @ 1 a.m. (Oct. 20)

Anthony Watson Jr., a 25-year-old man who was shot two times in the leg, was listed in serious condition early today at Miami Valley Hospital.

Crews were dispatched to the 3400 block of Valerie Armes Drive around 4 p.m. after a boy alerted an adult to call for help.

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

An 11-year-old boy stopped a man this afternoon to get help for a gunshot victim.

According to a Dayton police report, the victim was 25-year-old Anthony Watson Jr.

There was no information about any suspects.

UPDATE @ 5:20 p.m.

A child alerted an adult that a man had been shot late this afternoon in Dayton. 

The 911 caller said the child told him the man was shot twice in the leg. 

Crews were dispatched just before 4 p.m. to the 3400 block of Valerie Arms Drive. 

The shooting victim, a man in his mid-20s, was taken to Miami Valley Hospital. His injuries are not life-threatening, police said.

According to an incident call log, the suspect vehicle is described as a black 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix with temporary tags and a large scratch on the rear. Two men in their 20s were inside.

FIRST REPORT

A shooting victim was taken to Miami Valley Hospital this afternoon.

The incident was reported around 4 p.m. in the 3400 block of Valerie Arms Drive in Dayton.

>>Mom’s boyfriend charged after third-grader brings gun to school

The victim’s name, age and condition were not available.

It’s not clear whether police have a shooting suspect.

63-year-old Dayton gunshot victim fights for her life

Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 12:48 AM

63-year-old Dayton woman in critical condition after shooting

A shooting victim was critically hurt Thursday night in Dayton.

Crews were dispatched shortly after 8:15 p.m. to the 1600 block of Tennyson Avenue.

>>Boy stops man to get help for gunshot victim

According to a Dayton police report, 63-year-old Rosemarie Harris was “shot by another, resulting in life-threatening injuries.”

Harris was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where she was undergoing surgery late Thursday night.

No suspect information was available.

Springfield police seek recruits to bolster force

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 11:50 PM

Springfield police seek recruits to bolster force

The Springfield Police Division is down nearly 20 officers.

“It essentially makes the officer on the street busier,” said Capt. Lee Graf, who has been with the division for more than 20 years.

There are currently 113 officers, down from the city’s ideal 131-member roster, due to retirements and officers leaving for other departments.

“Our response with the critical calls hasn’t been affected, but on some days when we’re right at bare minimum, certainly it will have an effect,” Graf said.

Springfield resident Lisa McKeen said she would like to see more officers.

“Sometimes I don’t think there’s enough because it seems like they can’t patrol everywhere, and they can’t be everywhere at the same time,” she said.

Graf said one of the biggest problems is the pay compared to other police agencies. Officers in Springfield make a maximum of $58,000, compared to the starting pay up to $64,000 in Kettering.

“When you’re competing with some of the more affluent suburbs and things like that, that’s hard to do,” Graf said.

Springfield will begin testing for new recruits in early December.

Convicted rapist won't have joint custody of victim's child after judge rescinds ruling

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 1:49 AM

Judge Rescinds Ruling, Convicted Rapist Won’t Have Joint Custody of Victim’s Child

The Michigan judge behind a controversial ruling last month, which granted a convicted sex offender joint legal custody to the child conceived by his 12-year-old victim in 2008, has rescinded his decisionCBS News reports.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Woman’s rapist gets joint custody of child he fathered in assault

Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross ruled Tuesday that 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo will not have any parental rights to the 8-year-old boy. However, he will still be expected to pay for child support.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Lawyer: Rapist granted joint custody of boy he fathered will not seek visitation

Mirasolo was not seeking custody of the child. This odd scenario started when the mother, now 21, sought state assistance for her son. Ross ruled for joint legal custody after a DNA test verified Mirasolo was the boy’s biological father.

>> On Rare.us: In wake of #MeToo, men are vowing to make changes with hashtag of their own

Why did Ross initially grant Mirasolo legal custody? John Nevin, a spokesman for the Michigan Supreme Court, said that Ross wasn’t aware of Mirasolo’s two convictions, nor of how he and the mother were connected. After learning of Mirasolo’s record, Ross put the order on hold and rescheduled a hearing for Tuesday.

In a statement released to the Port Huron Times Herald, Sanilac County Prosecutor James Young said he wanted to “express [officials’] apologies for the manner in which this case was handled.”

>> Read more trending news 

The mother, identified only as Tiffany, spoke to CBS News earlier this month and expressed dismay that the judge would grant her attacker joint custody of her son. She said she had to provide the father’s name as a condition of receiving state financial assistance.

“I was receiving government assistance, and they told me if I did not tell them who the father was of my child, that they would take that away from me,” Tiffany said.

She said “horrible things” and “flashbacks” still come to mind when she hears Mirasolo’s name.