breaking news

WSU men’s soccer team returns from Charlottesville, takes to the field

Published: Saturday, August 12, 2017 @ 2:46 PM
Updated: Saturday, August 12, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

VIDEO: WSU men’s soccer team returns from Virginia

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

No sooner than the Wright State University men’s soccer team got off the bus this evening in Fairborn after a seven-hour ride home from Charlottesville, they took to the field to make up the game that missed today.

The team’s exhibition match against the University of Virginia was canceled amid escalating violence among protesters and counter-protesters. Not long after, one person was killed and 19 injured after a car slammed into a crowd of people dispersing the planned rally. The suspect was identified as an Ohioan, 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr. from Maumee in the northwestern part of the state.

RELATED: Ohio man jailed in deadly car crash into crowd

“I didn’t want their last memory of the day to be departing Charlottesville, and you know, state of emergencies on their phone,” Head coach Bryan Davis said. “That’s not for these kids. It’s still a game and it’s still their season and I didn’t want this day to be robbed of them of that. ... For them to finish the day together as a team in an intrasquad scrimmage I think is the only way to fittingly end the day.”

The Wright State University Raiders took to the field for an intrasquad scrimmage Saturday evening, Aug. 12, 2017, after a seven-hour bus ride back from Charlottesville, Virginia. The exhibition match between WSU and the University of Virginia was canceled amid violence in the city.(SEAN CUDAHY / STAFF)

Davis said Wright State was aware of the planned “Unite the Right” rally to protest removal of the Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee statue in the city. The plan in cooperation with UVA was to keep the players away from the crowds.

RELATED: Ohio leaders condemn ‘hate’ and ‘racism’

“The world’s going to happen wherever we are and so taking our athletes there was not something we wanted to shy away from,” Davis said.

The coach said his concerns started around 7:30 a.m. when he went for a run around town.

“It was about a thousand police officers in riot gear that early ... that pretty much told you how the day was going to go,” Davis said.

RELATED: 3 dead, 35 injured after ‘Unite the Right’ rally

UVA made the call mid-morning to cancel all athletic events, including the soccer match. While the Raiders never saw the violence firsthand, they were so close to it and saw the images and reports on their smartphones.

Hours after the deadly events in Charlotte, Davis said there is something his student atheletes can take away from the day: “The benefit out of this is the reminder that the world is turning as we’re in our little bubble of soccer and life.”

UPDATE @ 8:30 p.m.

The Wright State University men’s soccer team made it back to Fairborn this evening and took in a practice before calling it a day.


The Wright State University men’s soccer team was scheduled to play an exhibition match today against the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

The 1 p.m. game was canceled after violent clashes and protests on Virginia’s campus. 

Wright State’s head soccer coach Bryan Davis said his team is safe and on the way back to Ohio. The team will have a practice when they return because Davis said, “I do not want the violence to be the lasting memory they have from this day.” 

The team ended their morning practice at 9 a.m. before any of the major protests. The call to cancel the game came around noon when the team was on the bus, and they left shortly after.
The University of Virgina issued a statement on its website:

“Due to the ongoing public safety concerns in downtown Charlottesville and as a result of both the City of Charlottesville and the County of Albemarle declaring a local state of emergency, the University of Virginia is cancelling all scheduled events and programming today (Saturday) effective at noon. This cancellation includes all academic programming, the scheduled community discussions taking place in the University Libraries, and all UVA Athletic events and programming. The University is monitoring the developments in Charlottesville and continues to coordinate with state and local law enforcement.”

Paralyzed woman: Life ‘a living hell’ without stolen van

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 1:16 PM

She can’t get to her many doctor appointments

For the last two weeks, a paralyzed Middletown woman has been without the van that used to drive her to doctor appointments.

Shirley English, 77, paralyzed from the waist down after an auto accident in 2007, said her 2003 tan Dodge Caravan was stolen from her residence on Crawford Street earlier this month.

English said she allowed a former homeless man who lived with her to use the van to drive to and from his fast-food restaurant job on Breiel Boulevard in Middletown. She said the man used the van on Jan. 4, and she hasn’t seen him or the van since. She said the man picked up his check from the restaurant on Jan. 4, and he since has been fired.


Altercation may have preceded Butler County jail suicide death

Badin High School plans $1.8M expansion as enrollment grows

She filed a Middletown police report on Jan. 9, and the missing van was entered into the National Crime Information Center. Lt. Scott Reeve from the Middletown Police Department said officers are looking for the stolen van.

Until it’s found, English said she’s stuck at home, unable to make her doctor appointments for her heart and lung medical issues.

“My life has been a living hell,” English said Friday morning while sitting in her wheelchair holding her chihuahua. “I have nightmares like you wouldn’t believe. I can’t sleep at a night. I’m about ready to flip out. I feel like somebody has (taken) my life.”

She wiped away some tears, then added: “Nobody has the right to take what belongs to me, especially when it can save my life.”

English said she has a signed piece of paper that said the man was allowed to use the van between 3 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on nights he was working. At noon on Jan. 4, she noticed her car and house keys missing from an end table.

Up until the incident, English said the man was “a pretty good guy.” He had lived with her since October, she said.

Her family has sent the man text messages, but he hasn’t responded, she said.

“I need help,” she said. “I need help getting my automobile back.”

On her front door, she has posted two signs: “NOTICE: CAMERA. If you can read this your image has already been taken and unloaded to the internet.”

And, “No nuts or screwballs or thieves by order of police and prosecutor. Thank you.”

White supremacists responsible for most extremist killings in 2017, ADL says

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 2:36 PM

A man tends a makeshift candlelight vigil for those who died and were injured when a car plowed into a crowd of anti-fascist counter-demonstrators marching near a downtown shopping area August 12, 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia. The car allegedly plowed through a crowd, and at least one person has died from the incident, following the shutdown of the 'Unite the Right' rally by police after white nationalists, neo-Nazis and members of the 'alt-right' and counter-protesters clashed near Emancipation Park, where a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee is slated to be removed.  (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Win McNamee/Getty Images
A man tends a makeshift candlelight vigil for those who died and were injured when a car plowed into a crowd of anti-fascist counter-demonstrators marching near a downtown shopping area August 12, 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia. The car allegedly plowed through a crowd, and at least one person has died from the incident, following the shutdown of the 'Unite the Right' rally by police after white nationalists, neo-Nazis and members of the 'alt-right' and counter-protesters clashed near Emancipation Park, where a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee is slated to be removed. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)(Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Far-right extremists – particularly white supremacists – were responsible for more than half of the deaths attributed to extremists in the United States last year, according to a report issued this week by the Anti-Defamation League.

>> Read more trending news

Twenty of the 34 extremist-related killings in 2017 were carried out by far-right extremists, more than double the number that group was responsible for in 2016, according to the ADL’s annual report on extremist-related killings in America. 

Eighteen of those 20 deaths were caused by white supremacists, according to the ADL.

The incidents noted by the ADL included the August 2017 death of Heather Heyer, 32, who was protesting a rally organized by white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia, when authorities said she was mowed down by a vehicle driven by James Alex Fields, 20.

>> Related: 3 dead, 35 injured after 'Unite the Right' rally sparks violence in Charlottesville

“We cannot ignore the fact that white supremacists are emboldened, and as a society we need to keep a close watch on recruitment and rallies such as Charlottesville, which have the greatest potential to provoke and inspire violence,” ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt said in a news release.

The deadliest incident of last year, however, was carried out by an Islamic extremist. Eight people died in October when a man identified as Sayfullo Saipov, 29, plowed a pickup truck into bicyclists and pedestrians on a path in New York City.

>> Related: Who is Sayfullo Saipov, New York City terror attack suspect?

Including the October killings, a total of nine deaths were attributed to Islamic extremists, according to the ADL. Black nationalists were responsible for five of the killings reported in 2017, according to the ADL.

“These findings are a stark reminder that domestic extremism is a serious threat to our safety and security,” Greenblatt said. “We saw two car-ramming attacks in the U.S. last year -- one from an Islamic terrorist and another from a white supremacist in Charlottesville -- and the number of deaths attributed to white supremacists increased substantially. The bottom line is we cannot ignore one form of extremism over another. We must tackle them all.”

The ADL urged officials to “use their bully pulpit to speak out against racism, anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry at every opportunity” to mitigate the extremist threat. The ADL also recommended that federal and state officials create programs to help those trying to leave extremist movements and to “thwart (the) recruitment of disaffected or alienated Americans.”

2 arrested after infant, 4-year-old dumped along freezing roads

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 12:26 PM

Khyree Swift, 17, appears in court on Jan. 19, 2018 after being arrested on charges including kidnapping and theft in Clayton County, Georgia.
Khyree Swift, 17, appears in court on Jan. 19, 2018 after being arrested on charges including kidnapping and theft in Clayton County, Georgia.(WSB-TV)

Authorities have captured two teens they say stole an SUV with two children inside before abandoning them in below freezing temperatures.

>> Read more trending news

Khyree Swift, 17, and an unidentified 16-year-old have been charged with kidnapping, the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office said. Investigators said they tracked a stolen iPad to the home of one of the suspects, WSB-TV reported.

>> On SUV thief dumped little girl, 1-month-old baby along freezing roads

Swift was arrested Friday by Riverdale police, according to jail records. He appeared in court later in the day and was denied bond, WSB-TV reported.

Swift told a judge he doesn’t understand the allegations against him, according to the news station. His family told WSB-TV that Swift had nothing to do with the crime.

It is not clear when the other teen was captured.

Swift and the 16-year-old are accused of taking Precious Wilmer’s 2009 Chevy Equinox about 5 p.m. Wednesday from a QuikTrip on Riverdale Road.

Wilmer left her daughters, 1-month-old Ava Wilmer and 4-year-old Arya Davenport, in the SUV with the engine running while she went inside the convenience store, Clayton County police Sgt. Ashanti Marbury said.

She came out of the store and saw her car being driven away with her children in the back seat, police said. 

The girls were later found miles apart. 

Georgia State University police Chief Joseph Spillane found Arya walking on the shoulder of a roadway near I-285 and Riverdale Road, police said.

Channel 2 photojournalist Brian Ferguson found Ava in the middle of South Fulton Parkway, still strapped in her car seat.

>> On Children carjacked in Atlanta saved by passers-by in frigid weather 

At the time, the temperature was in the 20s, but it felt like the single digits.

The girls appeared to be OK, but were taken to Southern Regional Medical Center as a precaution. 

Atlanta police later located Precious Wilmer’s SUV on Metropolitan Parkway. 

In addition to kidnapping, Swift faces charges of theft by receiving stolen property, cruelty to children in the first degree and theft by taking.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution staff writers Steve Burns and Raisa Habersham contributed to this report

Altercation may have preceded Butler County jail suicide death

Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 12:31 PM

            Samantha Young BUTLER COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

The Butler County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the suicide death of a Cincinnati woman found hanging in the county jail on Tuesday.

Samantha Young, 21, who was in jail for a probation violation, died from hanging in the Hanover Street facility, according to the Butler County Coroner’s Office. Her death was ruled a suicide by the coroner’s office.

According to Sheriff Office Lt. Rick Bucheit said there are reports that Young had been involved in an altercation with another inmate sometime before the suicide.

FIRST REPORT: Death in Butler County Jail ruled suicide

At approximately 2:20 p.m. Tuesday, a corrections officer discovered Young unresponsive. She had a bed sheet tied around her neck, and her knees were bent, officials said. Corrections officers got Young down and started CPR until medical staff arrived. Despite efforts, she was pronounced dead at the jail by coroner’s office staff.

Young was booked into the Butler County Jail on Jan. 14 for a probation violation.

RELATED: Warren County Jail inmate dies after release to medical facility

Young was arrested in September 2016 for drug charges involving marijuana and a needle. She pleaded guilty to attempted possession of drug abuse instruments and was placed on two years’ probation, according to court records.

According to Bucheit, Young was not on suicide watch. She was housed in a cell with another inmate who was in court at the time of the incident.

MORE: Competency hearing rescheduled for rape suspect

“It is a tragedy,” he said. “Our condolences go out to the family.”

According to this new organization’s records, that last suicide death in the Butler County Jail was in July 2012.