Wright State: 2 ID’d, charged in gunpoint dorm robbery

Published: Thursday, October 05, 2017 @ 12:52 AM
Updated: Friday, October 06, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

Wright State: Dorm room armed robbery not random

UPDATE @ 4:15 p.m. (Oct. 6)

Wright State University police identified two suspects — one considered “armed and dangerous” — in a Wednesday night robbery at a Hawthorn Hall dorm room.

Joshua D. Hardy, 19, of Kettering, is not a WSU student and is an acquaintance of the second identified suspect, Sean L. Walker, 20, of West Carrollton. Walker is a WSU student, police said.

The Greene County Prosecutor’s Office has issued arrest warrants for both.


Hardy and Walker face aggravated robbery and aggravated burglary charges. Hardy fled the area and is considered armed and dangerous.

Walker already is in custody at the Montgomery County Jail on unrelated charges.

RELATED: Dayton police seeking teenager’s shooter

Dayton police arrested Walker late Wednesday, just hours after the robbery was reported, after he was spotted fleeing the scene of a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy in critical condition.

Walker was found in the area of Fourth Street and Wayne Avenue and arrested on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon. Dayton police said Walker is not the teen’s shooter and they are still looking for a suspect.

Anyone with information in the Wright State robbery is urged to call 937-775-2111.

UPDATE @ 11:15 a.m.

Wright State University police do not believe that an armed robbery reported on campus Wednesday night was a random crime. 

Just before 8:40 p.m., police responded to a call about an armed robbery at Hawthorn Hall at Wright State, according to a campus-wide email sent out. 

A student told police he heard a knock on his door but when he looked through the peephole he didn’t see anyone. He then opened the door, which is when, he said, the four armed men rushed in and two pointed guns at him, the student told police. 

At least one of those four men was known to some of the people in the WSU residence hall room, police chief David Finnie said. 

“We’re continuing to investigate the crime obviously and we have reason to believe this was not random,” Finnie said. “Reports to us through the victim and at least one of the witnesses is that one of the suspects is known to the victim and one of the witnesses so that’s why we believe it’s not a random thing.” 

Finnie said campus police have not yet been able to positively identify the suspects involved in the armed robbery. He’s also unsure if they are affiliated with Wright State in any way. 

After the robbery was finished, the victim waited 30 minutes to report the crime but Finnie said police believe the suspects had already fled campus at that time. 

“We’re following up on every lead that comes up to us,” Finnie said. “I’m pretty confident we’re going to be able to solve this particular crime.”


A Wright State University student reported he was robbed at gunpoint Wednesday night by four armed males who invaded his dorm room.

Police responded just before 8:40 p.m. to Hawthorn Hall for an armed robbery, according to an email sent to all Wright State addresses.

>>>Firefighter injured in house fire on Fernwald Drive in Beavercreek

The student told police he heard a knock on his door but when he looked through the peep whole he didn’t see anyone. He then opened the door, when he said the four males rushed in and two pointed guns at him, the student told police.

>>>Xenia officer honored for life-saving actions caught on body cam

The suspects stole clothing and a gaming system before they fled, according to the campus email.

It is not clear how the suspects entered Hawthorn Hall.

Wright State police urge anyone with information to call campus police at 937-775-2111.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: 2 suspected metal thieves caught red-handed in Dayton

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 11:17 PM

Jacob Schiessler, left, and Scott Schiessler
Jacob Schiessler, left, and Scott Schiessler(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

A Tipp City man told police he was nearly run over this evening after he tried to confront two suspected metal thieves.

The 56-year-old man dialed 911 to report a theft in progress around 5 p.m. at the old Hewitt Soap Factory, 300 Linden Ave. He said he was on his way home from work when he saw a red pickup truck on the property. He walked up to the truck to get its license plate number when he spotted a man later identified as Jacob Schiessler come out of a vacant building, and saw another man, later identified as Scott Schiessler, load metal into the bed of the pickup, according to a Dayton police report.

>> Man tells officer: ‘I’ll bite your nose off and spit it in your face’ during arrest

The man said when he confronted the men about the theft, Jacob Schiessler threatened him and he backed away at the urging of the 911 operator.

Then, he said Jacob Schiessler got into the driver’s seat of the pickup, accelerated and tried to run him owner. The victim said he was able to run out of the way to avoid being struck, the report stated.

Police found the pickup at First Street Recycling, 1400 E. First St.

>> Feds: Postal worker on disability got $94K, was in 35 motorcycle races

The victim identified Jacob and Scott Schiessler as the men involved in the incident at the soap factory property, the report stated.

Both men were booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felony breaking and entering, and Jacob Schiessler also faces a felonious assault charge. They are due to be arraigned Friday afternoon in Dayton Municipal Court, online jail records show.

Got a tip? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘I’ll bite your nose off and spit it in your face,’ man tells cop during arrest

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:12 PM

Martin Flemings

A 56-year-old man pinched a Dayton officer and threatened to bite him tonight during his arrest, according to a Dayton police report.

Officers on patrol reported finding Martin Eugene Flemings around 7:20 p.m. inside a garage that was boarded up by the city at 22 W. Hudson Ave.

>> Tipp City student makes threats against 2 adults, school building

According to the report, Flemings, who was possibly intoxicated, became belligerent after he found out his lighter shaped like a handgun would be placed in the property room. He began yelling and told an officer: “I’ll bite your nose off and spit it in your face,” the report stated.

>> Huber Heights man accused in federal hate crime case

Flemings then reached back and pinched the officer in the right thigh, according to the report.

Flemings was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of menacing, resisting arrest and illegal entry into a nuisance premises. He also had a warrant for failing to appear on a drug possession charge, records show.

Got a tip? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Tipp City: Middle school student made threats against 2 adults, building

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 5:08 PM

The Tipp City Exempted Village Schools said Thursday that a middle school student faces misdemeanor charges including aggravated menacing and disorderly conduct after he allegedly made written comments threatening intent to harm two adults within the building and to cause building destruction. 

Tipp City police were notified and are investigating the incident. There were no injuries. 

“The Tipp City Police Department does not deem the student to be an immediate threat to students, staff, or the community,” Superintendent Gretta Kumpf said in a written statement.

Kumpf said the district emphasized the police were confident there is no additional threat of harm from the incident. She said the student will remain out of school during the investigation. 

Police said the threats were found in a classroom, turned over to administrators and a suspect identified. The juvenile admitted to writing the threats, police stated.

Police said charges were filed after contact with Miami County prosecutors. The student is charged with two counts of aggravated menacing and one count of disorderly conduct.

The student, a boy, is with parents but that could change, police said Thursday evening.

Parents were notified of the threats via a phone call, Liz Robbins, district community relations director, said.

Got a tip? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

John Crawford shooting: Beavercreek wants separate trial from Walmart

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
Updated: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:57 AM

John Crawford shooting: Beavercreek wants separate trial from Walmart

The wrongful death civil rights lawsuit brought by John Crawford III’s parents against Beavercreek and Walmart has been scheduled for a February 2019 trial date, according to federal court records.

But the case could be split into two trials, if a federal judge grants a motion from the city of Beavercreek to separate the defendants.

RELATED: Deposition: Williams shot Crawford because he ‘was about to’ point a weapon

Dayton’s U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice scheduled the trial for Feb. 4, 2019 — a day shy of 4½ years after Crawford, 22, of Fairfield, was shot and killed by Beavercreek police officer Sean Williams in Walmart.

Beavercreek police responded after lone 911 caller Ronald Ritchie said he saw a black man carrying a rifle and waving it at people, including children. Police said Crawford, who was on his cell phone, didn’t respond to requests by Williams and Sgt. David Darkow to drop the item — a realistic-looking BB/pellet rifle he picked up from an open box in the store.

RELATED: Beavercreek officer who shot John Crawford III back on ‘full duty’

Crawford’s attorneys said Crawford had less than a second to hear and respond to anything officers said. Williams was cleared by a Greene County special grand jury in September 2014, and a federal investigation ended in 2017 without criminal charges.

Beavercreek attorneys filed a motion to split the case. They argued that the Beavercreek defendants are facing civil rights allegations such as excessive force, the police department’s supervision, training and control of its officers in circumstances requiring the use of force.

RELATED: Feds won’t charge Beavercreek officer in Walmart shooting

The Beavercreek attorneys said the Walmart defendants face state law claims involving issues of negligence and premises liability concerning the packaging, storage, shelving and safeguarding of pellet rifles.

“Due to the vastly different sets of facts supporting the claims against these sets of Defendants,” Beavercreek attorneys wrote, “severance of the claims and separate trials are appropriate.”

Rice has not ruled on the motion.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories