CONTINUING COVERAGE...


Woman charged with murder after man dies from illegal silicone injections, police say

Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 1:34 PM

Police in North Carolina charged Kavonceya Inman Cornelius with second-degree murder on Monday, March 20, 2017.
Salisbury Police Department
Police in North Carolina charged Kavonceya Inman Cornelius with second-degree murder on Monday, March 20, 2017.(Salisbury Police Department)

A North Carolina woman who gave a 19-year-old man silicone injections at her home has been charged with second-degree murder in his death, police said.

>> Read more trending stories

Police said Eugene Jones II went to Kavonceya Inman Cornelius’ home on Union Heights Boulevard in Salisbury for the injection. He died Jan. 12 in Fayetteville as a result of the procedure, authorities said. 

Police were notified Feb. 13 by another victim who received silicone injections from Cornelius and subsequently had serious health problems.

Police found that Cornelius had been conducting the medical procedures with non-medical-grade silicone.

Cornelius, who is also known as Kenneth Rudolph Cornelius, was charged Monday with second-degree murder.

7-year-old takes wheel, crashes into ambulance after father allegedly overdoses on opioids

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 6:06 AM

Child at steering wheel of car (stock photo).
Westend61/Getty Images/Westend61
Child at steering wheel of car (stock photo).(Westend61/Getty Images/Westend61)

A father in New York faces DUI charges after police said his 7-year-old daughter took the wheel of a car when he overdosed on opioids

>> Watch the news report here

Officers said Eric Roman was unconscious in the driver’s seat while his daughter sat on his lap to try to steer the car to safety, WCBS reports. The car crashed into the back of a FDNY ambulance in Brooklyn around 5 p.m. last Thursday.

“When we asked her what happened, she said, ‘My dad was sleeping so I was going to finish driving him home,’" an emergency medical technician at the scene told the New York Daily News. “There’s no way her feet could reach the pedals. We were turning with her, telling her to pull over, waving our arms wildly at her, but she wasn’t pulling over.”

>> Read more trending news

Officials told WCBS that medical responders had to revive Roman with Narcan and then took him to a local hospital. Both Roman and the girl are reported to be OK, according to WCBS.

It is still unknown how the girl got into the driver’s seat, but she allegedly told medics that she was in the back seat when her dad passed out, according to the New York Daily News

Police arrested Roman on charges of driving while intoxicated, acting in a manner injurious to a child, and operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs, WCBS reports. 

5 Things to Know About Overdose Rescue Medication Naloxone

Related

Convicted pedophile priest Paul Shanley to be released from prison

Published: Thursday, July 27, 2017 @ 2:14 AM

FILE--In this Feb. 15, 2005 file photo defrocked priest Paul Shanley is led from Middlesex Superior Court in Cambridge, Mass. in handcuffs following his sentence of 12 to 15 years in prison for raping a boy repeatedly in the 1980s. Prosecutors in Massachusetts say that Shanley, one of the most notorious figures in the Boston clergy sex abuse scandal, has completed his sentence on child rape charges and will be released from prison this week. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)
Charles Krupa/AP
FILE--In this Feb. 15, 2005 file photo defrocked priest Paul Shanley is led from Middlesex Superior Court in Cambridge, Mass. in handcuffs following his sentence of 12 to 15 years in prison for raping a boy repeatedly in the 1980s. Prosecutors in Massachusetts say that Shanley, one of the most notorious figures in the Boston clergy sex abuse scandal, has completed his sentence on child rape charges and will be released from prison this week. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)(Charles Krupa/AP)

Convicted pedophile and defrocked priest Paul Shanley is set to be released from prison Friday.

>> Watch the news report here

In 2005, Shanley was convicted of two counts of child rape and two counts of indecent assault and battery on a child. The abuse happened between 1983 and 1989 at St. Jean's Church in Newton, Massachusetts. Shanley, now 86 years old, was sentenced to a 12- to 15-year prison sentence. He will be released on Friday and begin 10 years of supervised probation and cannot have contact with children under the age of 16.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan released a statement to WFXT:

“The Commonwealth is not legally permitted to seek that Shanley be confined further without expert testimony that he meets the legal criteria for civil confinement as a sexually dangerous person. To that end we hired two qualified examiners. We are awaiting their final reports; however, both doctors have informed us that they have concluded that Shanley does not satisfy the legal criteria for a petition to be filed.

"The defendant will be monitored by the probation department for the next ten years and has been ordered to have no contact with children under sixteen years of age. Our office continues to provide support and assistance to the victims in this matter.”

Other priest abuse victims are fighting his release, saying he is still a danger to the public.

"He sexually abused children for decades upon decades... dozens upon dozens of children. Why would he change now?" said Mitchell Garabedian, lawyer for victims. 

>> Read more trending news

SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, agrees with Garabedian, saying in a statement:

"While we understand and respect the American judicial system, we fear for the safety of children now that Shanley has been released.

"Research and experience teach us that age does not cure pedophilia. Often age gives predators an advantage. People may see an old man and assume he is harmless. That is not the case.

"The Catholic Church has many treatment facilities for clergy and former clergy with sexual issues. We hope that they will insist Shanley live in a facility where he can receive treatment and where he will have no access to children."

The Archdiocese of Boston sent WFXT the following statement about Shanley's release:

"Paul Shanley's crimes against children were reprehensible. No young person should ever have to experience such violations of their safety and dignity. We continue to assure all victims of abuse of our prayers and our concern. 

"Any person who has been harmed by clergy sexual abuse, and in particular those who may need additional support at this time, are encouraged to contact the Archdiocese's Office of Pastoral Support and Outreach at 617-746-5995."

Related

Police: Mother arrested after toddler found unresponsive from drug overdose

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 5:35 PM

Mother Arrested After Toddler Found Unresponsive From Drug Overdose

An Illinois woman was arrested after she was found with her unresponsive toddler, who tested positive for meth and fentanyl, police said.

First responders found the 17-month-old boy unresponsive and exhibiting signs of a narcotics overdose Monday night, the Madison County Sheriff's Department told KMOV. The child required several doses of Narcan before regaining consciousness, The Telegraph reported.

>> Read more trending news

Drug paraphernalia was found in the home, police said.

The child tested positive for methamphetamine and fentanyl, authorities said. The toddler is expected to recover and be released from the hospital Wednesday into the care of the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services, KMOV reported.

Billie Jean Cottle, 25, was charged with aggravated battery to a child, aggravated battery, reckless conduct and endangering the life or health of a child. She remains in custody with a bond set at $250,000.

Man accused of smuggling deadly cobras into U.S. inside potato chip cans

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 4:45 PM

This undated photo provided by U.S. Fish and Wildlife shows a king cobra hidden in a potato chip can that was found in the mail in Los Angeles. Prosecutors say Customs and Border Protection officers found three live king cobra snakes while inspecting a package that was mailed from Hong Kong in March, 2017. Rodrigo Franco was charged Tuesday, July 25, 2017, with illegally importing merchandise. (U.S. Fish and Wildlife via AP)
uncredited/AP
This undated photo provided by U.S. Fish and Wildlife shows a king cobra hidden in a potato chip can that was found in the mail in Los Angeles. Prosecutors say Customs and Border Protection officers found three live king cobra snakes while inspecting a package that was mailed from Hong Kong in March, 2017. Rodrigo Franco was charged Tuesday, July 25, 2017, with illegally importing merchandise. (U.S. Fish and Wildlife via AP)(uncredited/AP)

Customs officials said they seized three highly venomous king cobra snakes that were being smuggled into the country earlier this year inside potato chip cans.

>> Read more trending news 

The two-foot-long snakes were shipped from Hong Kong to California in March and were intended for Rodrigo Franco, 34, according to the Los Angeles Times.

A crocodile, three alligator snapping turtles and five diamond back terrapins also were seized from Franco over the past year, the Times reported.

Officials searched Franco’s Monterey Park home in March and found a tank with a crocodile and turtles inside his children’s bedroom, according to the Times.

Franco was charged with one count of illegally importing merchandise into the United States. If convicted, he could face up to 20 years in federal prison, authorities said.

Read more at the Los Angeles Times.