WATCH: Celina tornado captured on cell phone

Published: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 @ 2:58 PM

News Center 7's Sean Cudahy was able to obtain this cell phone video of the tornado as it hit part of the Celina on Sunday evening.

A Celina man captured the EF2 tornado moments before it hit a shopping center Sunday afternoon.

Douglas Thomas shared his video with WHIO’s Sean Cudahy today. Thomas said at the time he pulled out his phone to record, he didn’t realize how dangerous the situation actually was.

>>LIVE INTERACTIVE RADAR

“"I just looked off to my left and seen this other funnel cloud over on the left, i pulled out my phone and started videotaping it,” said Thomas.

Celina Tornado Economic Impact

>>RELATED: 9-1-1 calls made seconds after Celina tornado hit

Moments after the recording began, you see it turn toward the ground. That’s when Douglas decided it was time to get away from the danger.

>>TRENDING: Kettering substitute teacher arrested for sexual battery involving student

"I'm an old man I don't run good anymore," added Thomas.

Cleanup is still ongoing in Celina, and it is too soon to estimate the total damage caused by Sunday’s tornados.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prosecution opposes trial relocation in Carlisle dead baby case

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 11:21 AM


            Brooke Skylar Richardson, the Carlisle teen charged with aggravated murder for the death of her infant found buried in the back yard, appeared in Warren County Court for pretrial hearing, Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017 in Lebanon. NICK GRAHAM / STAFF
Brooke Skylar Richardson, the Carlisle teen charged with aggravated murder for the death of her infant found buried in the back yard, appeared in Warren County Court for pretrial hearing, Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017 in Lebanon. NICK GRAHAM / STAFF

Prosecutors are asking Warren County Common Pleas Judge Donald Oda II to overrule a request for change of venue for the trial of a Carlise teen accused of killing her infant, then burning and burying the body in the backyard of her home.

In the response filed late Thursday, Assistant Warren County Prosecutor Steven Knippen said the request filed by Brooke Skylar Richardson’s attorneys two weeks ago is premature.

READ MORE: Defense seeks new venue for Carlisle cheerleader in buried baby case

In the motion for change of venue, defense attorneys Charles H. Rittgers and Charles M. Rittgers included a memorandum of support. That memorandum apparently was four pages long and contained specifics of the case. Last year, Oda issued a gag order prohibiting all parties involved in the case from making public statements about the case.

In his response to the change of venue motion, Oda said: “This case is not going to be tried in the press.”

The judge ordered the memorandum of support stricken from the change of venue motion.

The Rittgers then filed their response.

“The court’s order, which is now in the public sphere, is casting doubt as to the defense counsel’s sincerity, credibility, and truthfulness by indicating that the court is troubled by the defense memorandum,” the defense team stated in the motion.

Knippen said in the state’s position that The Ohio Supreme Court has ruled a change of venue is required merely because of a extensive pretrial publicity.

EXCLUSIVE: Prosecutor outlines challenges in buried baby case

“Any decision on change of venue rests in the sound discretion of the court,” Knippen said in the court filing.

The prosecution pointed to several “high profile” cases that have received substantial publicity and media attention, but have not required change of venue, including trial and two re-trials of of Ryan Widmer who is convicted of killing his wife, Sarah.

“Simply asserting that there has been pretrial publicity, as the defendant has done in this case, is not enough to demonstrate the defendant will suffer any prejudice. Rather a careful and searching voir dire provides the best test of whether prejudicial pretrial publicity has prevented obtaining a fair and impartial jury from the locality,” Knippen wrote citing a previous state court decision.

The prosecution concluding the change of venue issue should be decided during jury selection when the “effects of pretrial publicity, if any, on defendant’s right to a fair trial can be determined.”

MORE: Defense in Carlisle baby case asked judge to reconsider scrubbed motion

A hearing is set for March 14, and Richardson’s trial is scheduled to begin April 16.

Defense attorneys have said Richardson did not kill her baby. The prosecution previously said the baby was born alive. Warren County Coroner Dr. Russell Uptegrove has said the cause of death may never be known due to the condition of the remains.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Middletown school on lockdown after student acts suspicious

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 9:34 AM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

Bishop Fenwick High School is on a “soft lockdown” this morning, meaning classes are being conducted but no one is allowed to enter or leave the school, officials said. ED RICHTER/STAFF
Bishop Fenwick High School is on a “soft lockdown” this morning, meaning classes are being conducted but no one is allowed to enter or leave the school, officials said. ED RICHTER/STAFF

A Middletown high school is on lockdown this morning.

A notice from Bishop Fenwick High School this morning states: “Bishop Fenwick High School is currently on a ‘soft lockdown.’ This means that teaching continues in the building, but no one will be permitted in or out of the building until the lockdown is lifted. Everyone is safe in the building.”

Middletown Maj. David Birk said a student was acting suspiciously and the school called police. As a precaution the school was placed on lockdown. Birk said officers are on scene investigating and talking with those involved.

The school is asking for people to not call the school so phone lines can remain open.

This story will be updated when new information is available.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Man hit woman with pickup after she refused his advances

Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 9:45 AM

Deputies in Williamson County, Texas, arrested Carloa Amozurrutia, 27, on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018.
Williamson County Sheriff's Office
Deputies in Williamson County, Texas, arrested Carloa Amozurrutia, 27, on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018.(Williamson County Sheriff's Office)

A man is accused of hitting a woman with his pickup in Texas after she refused his advances toward her, according to an arrest affidavit.

>> Read more trending news

Carlos Amozurrutia, 27, of Round Rock, was charged with accident involving personal injury, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

The victim said Amozurrutia was giving her a ride home Sunday when he began making unwanted advances toward her, the affidavit said. It said she told him to stop so he stopped his pickup and pushed her out. She said that when he drove away, he struck her with the truck, the affidavit said. It said police were alerted at 2:26 a.m. Sunday about the incident in the 400 block of Blockhouse Drive.

The victim had an injury on the left side of her face, and also scratches and red marks on her hands and knees, according to the affidavit. The affidavit does not say how the victim and Amozurrutia knew each other.

A witness who also was in the pickup said she got out of the truck with the victim and saw it strike her, the affidavit said.

It also said two other witnesses who were driving by saw the victim struck and knocked to the ground by an open door on the passenger side when the truck pulled away.

It said the two witnesses told police the driver left without offering to help the victim.

Police stopped Amozurrutia at a nearby gas station for an unrelated offense and were able to identify his truck as the one that hit the victim, the affidavit said.

Amozurrutia was released from the Williamson County Jail on Sunday after posting bail set at $75,000.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Owner, one of two killed in auto dealership shooting, served in military

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 3:19 PM

LISTEN: 911 call released in double homicide in Harrison Twp.

The auto dealership owner found shot to death inside his business on Monday was a U.S. Army Vietnam War veteran who loved horses and cars, according to an online obituary.

Frank D. Buck, 71, and his friend, Lester Golson, 59, were both found dead of apparent gunshot wounds inside of Buck-I Auto Sales after what Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies said was a struggle involving a gun.

Investigators were not searching for anyone after the shooting, believing that the incident was “contained” inside the dealership at 2801 N. Dixie Drive.

RELATED: Two men shot to death on North Dixie Drive were friends

Buck operated his car dealership for more than 30 years, the obit said. Services were pending at Newcomer North Chapel, 4104 Needmore Rd. The obit said contributions to help pay for expenses can be made through the funeral home’s website.

Frank D. Buck(Staff Writer)

Buck is survived by his children, Shelly Buck, Laura Hurst, Candace Buck and Frank DJ Buck, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, ex-wife Penny Buck and many relatives and friends, according to Buck’s obituary.

“My father was a loving man would do anything in the world for just about anybody, he was loved by a lot he was always smiling, laughing, and joking around,” Candace Buck told this news organization earlier this week. “My condolences are with the Golson family during this very hard time.”

FIRST REPORT: 2 men found shot to death inside auto dealership

Golson’s obituary is not yet available. Efforts to get comment from his family or friends have been unsuccessful.

Buck-I Auto Sales was broken into Jan. 5, 2016, according to a sheriff’s incident report that said one of the windows in an overhead door was smashed.

A friend, not Golson, of Buck’s who was watching the business while Buck was out of town called police. That report said there were no surveillance cameras on the property.

Nearly three weeks later from the first incident, another report said a car was stolen but recovered from the Jan. 5, 2016 crime and that it appeared that the dealership was vandalized again as part of an effort to steal a car. A different stolen car was located in November 2016, according to sheriff’s office incident reports.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

“It is my understanding Mr. Buck was putting up cameras,” a Jan. 23, 2016 report read, adding that there were no suspects and no leads.

A woman who tried to get into the business Monday and saw one man point a gun at another then called 911 to report that she saw people get into a “tussle” before she heard three gunshots.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

In the sometimes frantic 6-minute call at 1:22 p.m., the woman said, “I was trying to get to my car and get to the phone to call the police then I heard gunshots.”

Deputies investigating the shootings earlier this week did not locate any surveillance cameras at the property.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office on Thursday said the two men’s cause and manner of death were still listed as “pending” due to the ongoing investigation.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories