breaking news


Video shows good Samaritans help Michigan trooper

Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 10:53 PM

Dash cam video has emerged of Michigan State Police Trooper Garry Guild who was attacked by suspects after a chase following a traffic stop. Good Samaritans stopped to help. (Joe Ross / Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Joe Ross / Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Dash cam video has emerged of Michigan State Police Trooper Garry Guild who was attacked by suspects after a chase following a traffic stop. Good Samaritans stopped to help. (Joe Ross / Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)(Joe Ross / Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0))

On Feb. 20, Michigan State Police Trooper Garry Guild attempted to make a traffic stop on motorcycle driver Michael Barber, 21, when the Barber sped off, which led to a chase.

Barber crashed and began walking toward Guild and ignored his commands to stop.

>> Read more trending news

WXYZ reported that Barber’s brother, Travis Wise, 19, stopped his vehicle and began attacking Guild, 51.

Now, dashcam video shows good Samaritans helping to save Guild’s life.

The Detroit Free Press reported that Keith Pepple, 50, stepped in to help.

"I got up there, and I grabbed a hold of Barber and threw him off" the trooper, Pepple said. "Everybody went to the ground. I had Barber in a headlock. I looked back and Wise was still choking the officer. I grabbed Wise and put him in a headlock."

Jerry Burnham, 44, and his wife, also helped and were able to assist Guild in getting the men into custody, WNDU reported

"My wife's like 'There's an officer out there!' And then she started yelling that he needed help and told us to stop," Jerry Burnham told WNDU in February. "So, that's what we did."

Guild suffered a neck injury from the incident, as well as a hand injury from accidentally shocking himself with a stun gun during the struggle, but returned to work the next day.

Barber and Wise face multiple charges, including assault by strangulation and attempt to disarm a police officer.

WXYZ reported Monday that Guild is doing much better.

Watch the dashcam video below.

Inmate at Georgia jail, nurse passed letters, had sexual relationship, officials say

Published: Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 10:51 PM

Aleah Risby (left) and Jerrell Hopkins, an inmate at Fulton County Jail,  had a sexual relationship while Risby was working as a nurse at the jail, officials say.
Fulton County Sheriff's Office
Aleah Risby (left) and Jerrell Hopkins, an inmate at Fulton County Jail, had a sexual relationship while Risby was working as a nurse at the jail, officials say.(Fulton County Sheriff's Office)

A former Fulton County jail nurse is accused of having a sexual relationship with an inmate and sending him letters detailing “her enjoyment of sex with him,” according to a Fulton County Sheriff’s Office incident report. 

Aleah Risby, 23, was released from the Fulton County jail on a $7,500 signature bond late Thursday, Fulton County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Tracy Flanagan said. She faces a charge of sexual assault by a law enforcement agency employee or agent who engages in sexual contact with an individual in custody. 

>> Read more trending news

Risby had been with Correct Care Solutions, the medical provider for the jail, for two months when authorities were told about the alleged relationship with inmate Jerrell Hopkins, officials said. Hopkins, 22, had been in jail on a slew of charges including aggravated assault, obstruction battery, possession of a firearm and false imprisonment, according to records. 

Lt. Deputy Sheriff Anthony Volley wrote in his report that he was given the letters Monday and interviewed Hopkins the next day. Hopkins confessed that he and Risby would have sexual intercourse in the far corner of the new intake area, according to the report

Hopkins also gave Volley a note from Risby indicating she wanted “to find a place where (they) can touch,” according to the report. Some of the letters revealed the two would also hug and kiss. It is not stated when the relationship began or if the two knew each other before Risby began her job at the jail. 

Authorities monitored conversations between Risby and Hopkins and arrested the former nurse, the report states. Risby opted not to make a statement to officials on the allegations. 

Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on Aug. 3. 

Cops: Mom out 'clubbing' left daughter, 11, to ask neighbors for food

Published: Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 4:07 PM

Mom Out Clubbing Left Daughter, 11, To Ask Neighbors For Food

Meara Fisher said didn’t want to call the cops at first when her neighbor’s 11-year-old daughter came to her apartment in Marietta, Georgia, and asked for food. She said didn’t want to make a bad situation worse.

So Fisher said she instead made the girl all she had: toast and noodles.

The girl said her mother, Deborah Ann Oats, was out clubbing, but would be back in 15 minutes, according to Fisher. Seven hours later, Fisher called the non-emergency police line.

>> Read more trending news

On Friday morning, nearly a week after her arrest, Oats remained in Cobb jail with a bond of $11,220 for a second-degree child cruelty charge, records showed.

Fisher tried to take the girl back to the apartment one unit up and over last Saturday night, but she said she couldn’t let the girl stay there another minute.

“It looked like furniture was overturned,” Fisher told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “ ... There was excrement everywhere.”

Police said the girl was placed into custody of the state Division of Family and Children Services.

When Marietta police arrived early Sunday and took a look at the Bells Ferry Road apartment where the girl had been living, they said they found feces, along with fleas and ticks from the dog and three cats living there.

There was “a colony of roaches” scattered throughout the apartment, which didn’t have air conditioning, according to a police warrant.

There was also dog food and dirty dishes in the sink, and fungus and roaches in the refrigerator and freezer, the warrant said.

Fisher, who didn’t go in, said there was barely a path to the bedroom. She said she was reluctant to call the authorities for the girl’s safety.

“I grew up in a similar situation, and in my experience, calling someone in that situation can be not as helpful,” she said. “I didn’t want her to get hurt because I did something.”

Cops eventually got in touch with Oats, who was at an address “which is known to be in a drug area,” according to the warrant.

“I should have done something a long time ago,” Fisher said.

Police recommend charges against teens investigators said taunted, recorded drowning man

Published: Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 3:05 PM

(WFTV)
(WFTV)

The teenagers who police said did nothing to help a drowning man and instead recorded the incident and mocked him may now face charges, Cocoa police said..

At first, the suspects were not going to be charged in connection with 31-year-old Jamel Dunn’s death.

>> Read more trending news

Investigators were told by the State Attorney’s Office that while there was no moral justification for the July 9 incident at Bracco Pond Park, there wasn’t sufficient evidence to support a criminal prosecution under Florida statutes.

Related: Teens recorded video, laughed while man drowned

Dunn’s body wasn’t found until July 14 when a passerby saw his body floating in the pond.

Police announced Friday that they would be able to recommend charges against the teens under a Florida statute saying that a person who witnesses a death must report it to a medical examiner.

Police said it’s a misdemeanor charge that hasn’t been applied in a case like this.

“When we initially reviewed this case it was determined there were no laws broken as the teens were not directly involved with the death,” said Chief Mike Cantaloupe. “Further research of the statutes and consultation with the State Attorney’s Office yielded the decision to move forward with charges under this statute. It’s our belief that this law has never been enforced in a scenario like this, but we feel it could be applicable.”

Link: Fundraiser for Jamel Dunn’s family

The State Attorney’s Office will decide if a case is filed.

In the video, police said a group of teenage boys can be heard yelling things like, “We’re not going to help you and you never should have gotten in there,” as Dunn screamed for help and struggled in the water.

Police said video evidence showed that Dunn went into the water on his own.

A neighbor’s security camera showed Dunn scaling a fence and intentionally going into the pond, police said.

“Regardless of the circumstances surrounding his decision to enter the water that day, there is absolutely no justification for what the teens did,” Cantaloupe said. “Pursuing criminal charges is a way to hold them accountable for their own actions.”

One of the teenagers mentioned marijuana in the nearly three-minute video. 

The identities of the teens have not been released. 

O.J. Simpson granted parole in Las Vegas robbery case

Published: Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 2:55 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 3:54 PM

O.J. Simpson Granted Parole

The Nevada Parole Board voted unanimously Thursday to grant former football star O.J. Simpson parole in his 2008 conviction on charges including kidnapping and armed robbery. 

>> Read more trending news

Simpson is expected to leave the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada this fall after nine years behind bars, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The decision came down Thursday after Simpson, 70, spoke before the Nevada Parole Board, telling the four-person panel he was remorseful for his actions in 2007.

“I haven’t made any excuses in the nine years I’ve been here, and I’m not trying to make an excuse now,” he said.

Simpson was sentenced to 33 years behind bars for his part in a 2007 armed robbery at a Las Vegas hotel room. He was found guilty on a dozen charges, including kidnapping.

Simpson claimed he confronted a pair of memorabilia collectors, Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley, in 2007 in an attempt to recover items that had been stolen from him, according to The Associated Press. Among the mementos and memorabilia he hoped to recover were family photos and his first wife’s wedding ring.

O.J. Simpson Parole Soundbites

Fromong spoke Thursday in favor of Simpson’s release and said he and Simpson had long ago made peace.

“We all make mistakes,” Fromong said. “O.J. made his. He’s been here and from what I’ve been told he’s been a model inmate. He’s been an example to others.”

Simpson had no disciplinary issues while behind bars and took numerous classes, according to testimony before the parole board. Simpson said he took a conflict resolution course that made a particular impact on him and said he had been called in to mediate issues between other inmates at the Lovelock Correction Center.

Nevada Board of Parole commissioner Susan Jackson held up thick stacks of letters at Thursday’s hearing, some of the hundreds of letters she said the board had received from Simpson’s supporters and detractors. Many of the letters mentioned Simpson’s 1995 acquittal in the murder of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Ron Goldman.

Jackson said the case would not be considered in Thursday’s deliberations.

Parole board commissioner Connie Bisbee said Simpson has plans to resettle in Florida, where he was living before his 2008 conviction.

Officials in Florida said in a statement that “if Nevada’s request meets all criteria, Florida must accept the transfer.”

“As is the case with any offender who transfers under this routine procedure, he will be assigned a Florida probation officer and will be supervised in accordance with the conditions of his parole,” said Michelle Glady, director of communications for the Florida Department of Corrections.

What You Need To Know: O.J. Simpson

Simpson in 2013 was granted parole on the armed robbery conviction. Thursday’s hearing addressed the other 11 charges from his 2008 conviction, according to USA Today.

Simpson, a former football running back who has appeared in nearly two dozen movies and television shows, was found not guilty of murder in 1995 after Brown and Goldman were found stabbed to death outside Brown’s Los Angeles townhouse. The case, which captivated TV audiences around the globe, was dubbed the “Trial of the Century.”

Related