Victim identified in city’s first homicide of 2013

Published: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 @ 1:34 PM
Updated: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

The city’s first homicide of 2013 likely occurred within the first few hours of New Year’s Day.

Police are investigating the death of Bradlee Thompson, 30, at 613 Hulbert St.

Thompson was shot at least once, according to police, but multiple shots were reportedly fired in the area about 3 a.m. Tuesday.

Police did not release any suspect information Tuesday, but officers took three people from the Days Inn on Miller Lane to the Dayton Safety Building downtown for questioning early Wednesday morning. Dayton Police homicide detective Sgt. Dan Mauch said those individuals are not suspects at this time.

Neighbors reported hearing shots shortly after 3 a.m. and police were called to the 600 block of Hulbert later in the morning to inspect a house that had been struck by bullets. While investigating, they found a door unsecured at 613 and found the victim dead inside the home.

Thompson, the father of a 7-year-old girl who worked at Kil-Kare Raceway in Xenia, did not live at the Hulbert address. It is unknown why he was there. The individuals being questioned today are connected to that address, but it is unknown in what way.

Friends of his told WHIO-TV that they last saw him at a private club at about 2 a.m. Tuesday. They said he was drinking and celebrating the new year.

“We were all in a New Year’s party last night and he was in a good mood and everything,” said friend Tony Wilkins.

Thompson’s death is the first homicide of the year, but the third in the city in less than two weeks. There were 28 homicides reported in the city in 2012, the most recent occurring Dec. 21 and 24.

The 28 deaths in 2012 included one incident that was ruled self-defense and one incident in which an individual was killed by a law enforcement officer in what was determined to be a justified use of force. That number is down from 35 homicides in 2011.

Florida man charged with punching boy he accused of egging home

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 9:32 AM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 9:32 AM


            Florida man charged with punching boy he accused of egging home

A Florida man is facing charges that he pushed and punched a 15-year-old after accusing the boy of egging his home, according to an arrest report.

>> Read more trending stories

Scott Mersereau, 51, posted a $3,000 bond on Sunday and was released from the Palm Beach County Jail.

Mersereau, of Boca Raton, allegedly walked to the boy's home on Southwest Sixth Avenue and accused him of egging his house, the report said. The boy answered by saying he wasn't at fault before the argument escalated, the report said.

After being cursed by the boy, Mersereau allegedly pushed him in the chest with both hands. Mersereau walked to the front door of the boy's home and demanded to speak with his mother. When the boy told him to leave, Mersereau allegedly grabbed him by the shirt and pushed him again.

Mersereau, listed on the arrest report as 6 feet 3 inches and 230 pounds, then punched the boy in his face and back of the head, the report said.

The attack was witnessed by several people, including the boy's mother.

The victim had a contusion on the left side of his head and was taken to West Boca Medical Center for treatment.

When police approached Mersereau, he said his house had been egged a few nights before but "he did not know who actually did it," the report said.

Mersereau became belligerent with a Boca Raton police officer and was intoxicated, the officer wrote in the report. He is facing a charge of child cruelty.

Related

Scott Mersereau Feb 23, 2017 - 9:47 AM

Video shows off-duty officer firing gun during confrontation with teens

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 12:43 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 12:43 PM


            Video shows off-duty officer firing gun during confrontation with teens

A widely shared video shows the tense moments before an off-duty Los Angeles police officer fired a gun on Tuesday afternoon during a confrontation with a group of teenagers in Anaheim, California.

>> Read more trending stories

Hundreds of people took to the streets near the officer's home in protest Wednesday night after the footage surfaced on social media. The fight occurred Tuesday over ongoing issues with kids walking home from school across the officer's property, a police statement said.

Witness George Perez, 16, told the Orange County Register that the confrontation might have started because of a misunderstanding between the 13-year-old and the officer.

"The little kid said, 'I'm going to sue you,' and then the guy thought he said, 'I'm going to shoot you.' That's when he started grabbing the little kid," Perez told the newspaper.

In a nearly 9-minute video posted on Facebook, the officer, who was not identified, struggles to detain the teen as a crowd of teenagers forms nearby.

The teen repeatedly denies that he threatened to shoot the officer as the older man pulls him across a yard. The teen says that the officer is hurting him and tells him to "let me go. … I'm only 13."

The struggle pushes the pair near a hedge, where a boy breaks from the crowd and slams into the officer. The older man is thrown into a hedge and comes out on the other side, pulling the 13-year-old through the greenery and blocking a punch from another teen.

Gripping the 13-year-old's sweatshirt, the man then pulls out a gun. A single shot is fired.

>> See the full video here (viewer discretion advised due to profane language)

Police said the shot did not hit anyone.

Police arrested two teenagers on battery charges in connection with the confrontation. One of the teens was also charged with making criminal threats while the other was charged with assault, according to authorities.

Anaheim police are investigating the case. Following standard procedure in cases of police-involved shootings, the officer was placed on administrative leave. The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating his actions.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

WSU police: Man reported following women into campus bathrooms

Published: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 10:44 AM
Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 10:44 AM

The Wright State University Police Department has received two reports of a male subject entering a women’s restroom on campus, according to an email sent to students Wednesday afternoon.

RELATED: Wright State will save money by leaving positions empty

The male subject has been seen pacing near women’s restrooms and he appears to be talking on a cell phone. The man waits until a woman enters the restroom and then he walks in behind her, according to the email.

The man was reported to have made an excuse when confronted. At least one female subject reported that she saw the man on his hands and knees in a campus restroom, said spokesman Seth Bauguess.

RELATED: WSU could pick first female president as search narrows to 2

The man is described as African-American, tall, wearing a jacket with a black and white pattern, dark sweat pants, carrying a cell phone, a blue cloth, and a dark-colored back pack, according to the email. Bauguess said he will share any updates on the incident as they become available to campus.

Police reports for the incidents have been requested by this news organization. Wright State University Police have asked that anyone with information contact the department at 937-775-2111.

5 HIGHER ED MUST READS

• UD to increase tuition by 2 percent next fall

• Spring enrollment falls at UD, WSU

• Wright State faculty ask for laid off colleagues to be rehired

• WSU hires new chief diversity officer as hiring freeze begins

Suspect in cold case homicides not indicted

Published: Friday, August 14, 2015 @ 12:11 PM
Updated: Monday, August 17, 2015 @ 2:52 PM

Suspect in cold case homicides not indicted

UPDATE @2:50 p.m. Aug. 21

 

A suspect in a cold case homicide from 2006 will be released from custody after a grand jury declined to indict him on any charges.

 

Velis Nelson was arrested on charges related to the shooting deaths of Felicia Kirksey-Goodson-Battle and Elizabeth Davis on Jan. 5, 2006 on Vernon Drive.

 

The grand jury was presented with evidence and declined to indict Nelson on any charges at this time, according to a release from the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

 

The criminal investigation remains open, and Nelson will be released from custody.

 

UPDATE @ 2:40 p.m. Aug. 17

 

Bond was set at $1 million for Velis Nelson, who faces four counts of murder and four counts of felonious assault with a deadly weapon, according to proceedings this morning in Dayton Municipal Court.

 

A preliminary hearing is set for Aug. 24.

 

UPDATE @ 6:20 p.m. Aug. 15

 

A man is behind bars in connection to a cold case murder, Dayton police said.

 

Velis S. Nelson, 28, was arrested Thursday and booked into the Montgomery County Jail on four counts of murder and four counts of felonious assault.

 

Dayton police did not release details about the cold case. However, online Dayton Municipal Court records show the charges are connected to a Jan. 5, 2006, incident.

 

The only homicide reported in Dayton on that day was a fatal double-shooting of two Dayton women.

 

Elizabeth Davis, 49, and Felicia Goodson, 44, were found slain around 4 a.m. Jan. 5, 2006. Dayton police said at the time that Davis was shot and killed in the kitchen of a home on Vernon Drive. Police said Goodson tried to run for help but her assailant followed her and shot her once in the back of the head on the porch of a nearby home on Grand Avenue.

 

Nelson — who also used the alias Willie Dixon — was convicted in October 2008 of aggravated robbery involving a firearm and sentenced to three years in prison and five years of probation. According to court documents, at the time of the robbery Nelson had a Trotwood address.

 

FIRST REPORT, Aug. 14

 

A man is in Montgomery County Jail on four counts of murder in connection to a cold case, Dayton police said.

 

Velis S. Nelson, 28, was arrested Thursday and booked into jail on four counts of murder and four counts of felonious assault. Dayton police said he was arrested in connection to a cold case, but further details have not been released.

 
This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.