JUST IN:

breaking news


UPDATE: 2 dogs shot in Springfield in ‘great condition’

Published: Thursday, December 14, 2017 @ 11:02 AM
Updated: Friday, December 15, 2017 @ 5:00 PM


            Springfield police are investigating the shooting of two dogs.
Springfield police are investigating the shooting of two dogs.

Update 5 p.m. Dec. 15:

The owner of the dogs who were shot this week in their own backyard said the dogs are in “great condition.”

Jarrad Flowers declined further comment but did tell a reporter that his dogs are recovering.

First report:

Two dogs were shot in Springfield, one of them in the chest.

Police responded about 6:45 p.m. Monday to a home in the 100 block of West Parkwood Avenue where they found the dogs named Diamond and Deuce in the kitchen, according to a police report.

READ MORE: Springfield man accused of robbing home with kitchen knife

“(The owner) advised that he heard three gunshots to the rear of his residence and when he went out to his backyard, he found that his two dogs had been shot,” the report says.

Diamond was shot twice, once on her left hip and the other on her back leg, the report says, and Deuce was shot once in the chest.

The dogs were still alive when police got there and the owner was seeking medical care for them, the report says.

“Diamond was alert, while Deuce was very sluggish,” the report says.

DETAILS: Springfield red light cameras to stay off until lower court ruling

Their conditions are unknown. The Springfield News-Sun left messages were for the dogs’ owner and police seeking an update on their conditions.

A neighbor told police she saw two men walking in the direction of the dogs before they were shot but was unable to give police a description of the men, the report says. A possible motive was not listed in the report.

3 QUICK CRIME READS

Caller to Springfield bakery: “We will come shoot this place up!”

Gun shot fired in home invasion, Springfield man sent to hospital

South Vienna woman accused of firing gun at Wayside Tavern incident

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 7:46 AM

A collection of crime stories from the Springfield News-Sun.

A South Vienna woman is facing multiple charges in connection to a shooting that left one person with a gunshot wound outside of a Springfield Twp. bar last September.

RELATED: Wayside Tavern shooting 9-1-1 call: ‘There’s gunfire everywhere’

Rhiannon N. Schneider, 29, has been charged with one count each of having weapons under disability, discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises and receiving stolen property. She’s scheduled to appear in court at 10:30 a.m. today.

Deputies and medics responded about 2:30 a.m. Sept. 29 to the 2200 block of South Yellow Springs Street on the report of several gunshots fired outside the Wayside Tavern. After the incident, deputies viewed surveillance video that captured the incident, according to court records.

The footage allegedly shows Schneider shooting a gun into the air to startle a group of young men attacking another man she knows, according to a police report. Schneider was under indictment at the time of the incident, the report said. Schneider is also accused of driving a vehicle to the bar that didn’t belong to her, the report said.

FIRST REPORT: Deputies: Bystander shot, ‘heavy exchange’ of gunfire outside Clark County bar

Police detectives attempted to speak with Schneider about the incident, but she allegedly didn’t show up on multiple occasions, the report said.

A bartender from the tavern called 9-1-1 to report the shooting, according to a recording of the emergency calls obtained by the Springfield News-Sun.

“We’re laying on the ground. They’re shooting, shooting and shooting. There’s gunfire everywhere,” the caller says.

Gunshots can be heard in the background of the call.

“They’re all outside. I knew it was about to happen,” the caller says. “I knew it. They’re still shooting.”

MORE CRIME: Springfield man accused of biting woman’s face

Another woman called 9-1-1 to report that she believed her house had been hit by a gunshot, but no one in the house was injured.

One person showed up at Springfield Regional Medical Center with a gunshot wound, but it’s believed that person was a bystander and not a shooter. The person’s injuries weren’t life threatening, officials said. Investigators believe multiple shooters exchanged several shots outside the bar. Shell casings were found in the bar’s parking lot.

Corey L. Ames, 33, of 414 W. Euclid Ave., was also arrested as part of the incident. He was charged with improperly discharging a firearm into a habitation, discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises, having weapons while under disability and carrying concealed weapons.

Schneider and Ames both remain in the Clark County Jail.

Rhiannon N. Schneider(Staff Writer)

5 QUICK CRIME READS

Springfield man accused of whipping pregnant woman with belt

Springfield man arrested, accused of robbing Fifth Third bank

Domestic violence, arson arrests in Springfield linked to Snapchat

Facebook hunting photos lead to wildlife charges for New Carlisle men

Florida woman, 81, smashes car into McDonald's: 'Glass flew everywhere'

Published: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 @ 1:54 AM

Woman Smashes Car Into McDonald's Window

An 81-year-old woman suffered minor injuries after she lost control of her Toyota Solara and backed into the glass windows of a McDonald’s west of Boynton Beach, Florida, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.

>> Read more Floridoh! stories 

The woman will be charged with careless driving, PBSO spokesperson Teri Barbera said Monday.

>> On PalmBeachPost.com: PHOTOS: A history of cars crashing into things in South Florida

The crash happened around 3:30 p.m. at Military Trail and Boynton Beach Boulevard when the woman backed up and inadvertently drove through the window.

“Glass flew everywhere,” said a witness, who said she was drinking a soda inside when the car plowed through the window.

>> Read more trending news 

The witness, who asked not to be identified, said the glass cut her fingers. She said the driver then drove forward and hit her parked Volkswagen. The driver continued about 150 feet and hit a tree next to a canal, Barbera said.

A McDonald’s representative declined to comment. The store and drive-through remain open.

Trial set in fatal hit-and-run allegation against Kenton Ridge teacher

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 10:14 AM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 4:06 PM

Trial date set in Baggs case

A trial date has been set for a Kenton Ridge High School teacher charged with vehicular manslaughter.

MORE: Clark County teacher deadly hit-and-run

Kristine Baggs faces charges in connection with an alleged hit-and-run pedestrian accident that killed Lawrence Mason, 45, of Medway, in September 2016.

Attorneys met in Clark County Common Pleas Court on Monday for a scheduling conference. A hearing wasn’t conducted in open court and she didn’t appear in the courthouse.

The trial against Baggs is set to begin June 7. She is expected to appear in court for pre-trial hearings on March 27 and May 22.

She was placed on paid administrative suspension from the school after she was charged in November.

District policy dictates licensed teachers must be placed on paid leave pending the outcome of their legal case, Northeastern Superintendent John Kronour said.

RELATED: Northeastern teacher indicted in deadly crash

Mason was standing on the side of North Tecumseh Road when he allegedly was struck and killed by a silver 2015 Dodge Durango in September 2016, according to an Ohio State Highway Patrol crash report. The vehicle and driver left the scene, according to investigators.

The case is being handled by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. They declined to comment. Clark County Prosecutor Andy Wilson said his office is unable to prosecute because of a conflict of interest.

Defense attorney Richard Mayhall, who represents Baggs, didn’t return a phone call from the Springfield News-Sun seeking comment Monday.

READ: Family of Medway man killed on Tecumseh Road files lawsuit

According to public records obtained during the Springfield News-Sun payroll project, Baggs made a little more than $52,000 last year.

Springfield woman accused of not treating 3-month-old with broken leg

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 12:46 PM


            Gloria Hoessli appears in Clark County Municipal Court on Monday. Jeff Guerini/Staff
Gloria Hoessli appears in Clark County Municipal Court on Monday. Jeff Guerini/Staff

A Medway woman has been accused of delaying care for a 3-month-old child with a broken leg.

Gloria Hoessli, 22, pleaded not guilty to a charge of child endangering in Clark County Municipal Court on Monday. Her bond was set at $20,000.

MORE: Springfield woman accused of hitting 6-year-old in head with belt

On Dec. 26, investigators were called to Dayton Children’s Hospital where a 3-month-old child was being treated for a broken leg and a possible old fracture, according to a report from the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

Hoessli allegedly told them the fracture occurred on Dec. 25 when her 2-year-old child fell on the infant, the report says, and that the old fracture probably happened in a similar way.

When the infant was hurt, Hoessli allegedly had her mother look at the injury and she thought the child was fine, the report says. An officer spoke with Hoessli’s mother and confirmed that she had checked the injury and didn’t think it was bad, according to the report.

Clark County Children’s Services had been trying to reach Hoessli because the child allegedly tested positive for methamphetamine at birth, the report says. Hoessli allegedly told officials that she had tried to return Children’s Services’ calls and assured them she hadn’t been using drugs.

MORE: Springfield man accused of whipping pregnant woman with belt

A safety plan was set up for the children involving monitoring from Hoessli’s mother, according to the report, and a follow-up meeting was scheduled for Jan. 5.

During the meeting, Hoessli allegedly revealed that the child’s injury had actually occurred on Dec. 24, two days before she brought the child into the hospital. The injury allegedly occurred while the child was being cared for by the baby’s father, a wanted fugitive.

Hoessli also allegedly told officials that she used meth the night before their meeting.

MORE: Springfield man accused of leaving dog to die

On Friday, Jan. 19, a Clark County officer spoke with a Dayton Children’s Hospital employee who said that didn’t Hoessli allegedly show up for an appointment to assess the child’s injuries and didn’t answer the hospital’s phone calls, the report says.