Undercover police officer poses as high school student for six months

Published: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 @ 5:21 AM
Updated: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 @ 10:58 AM


            Glynn Academy (Twitter/Jenna Bourne)
            Jenna Bourne
Glynn Academy (Twitter/Jenna Bourne)(Jenna Bourne)

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

An undercover officer posed as a student at Glynn Academy in BrunswickGeorgia, for six months in a drug bust that led to eight arrests.

>> Read more trending stories  

That undercover officer said he saw sales of cocaine, pills and marijuana on and off campus.

He even uncovered trafficking of stolen weapons.         

Half of the people arrested in “Operation Bad Grade” were current and former students at the school. 

“I just think that’s pretty smart. It reminds me of that movie ‘21 Jump Street,’” said Glynn Academy sophomore Maria Zermeno.

But Glynn County Schools Police Chief Rod Ellis said the stakes are very real.

“Certainly, it’s been dramatized in the movies and in television, but we were trying to stick to what we knew would work here in the high school setting and not try and emulate any movie,” said Ellis.

Only one drug deal happened on campus, which is why Ellis said the undercover officer wasn’t just in the classroom; he was hanging out with students outside of school.

“He was young looking. He’s in his 20s, but he looks like a high school student,” said Ellis. “He fully integrated as a student.”

“That’s scary. I find it scary,” said Glynn Academy sophomore Karla Alaho.

“I don’t have anything to hide, so I’m like, I just think it’s cool,” said Zermeno.

Ellis said the undercover operation is a new tactic for an old problem. He said he remembered drugs being sold when he was a student at Glynn Academy back in the 80s.

Ellis said, while the information that led the undercover officer to discover stolen weapons trafficking originated on campus, none of those guns were at the school.

Nineteen-year-old Derrick Scott, 19-year-old Detawn Hardy, 31-year-old Darnell Manson, 18-year-old Alexandra Harris, 27-year-old Joseph Mincey and 76-year-old Elnora Mincey were all arrested in “Operation Bad Grade.” 

Two juveniles were also arrested.

SWAT on scene in Fairfield Twp. after ‘domestic’ incident

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 6:05 PM
Updated: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 6:30 PM



JAKE RYLE / WCPO
(JAKE RYLE / WCPO)

UPDATE @ 7:20 p.m.

SWAT officers set off an explosive, similar to a concussion grenade, inside the home tonight during a standoff that has been going on for hours.

Using a bullhorn, officials have been ordering the suspect to come out with hands up. So far, the suspect has not complied.
Police were called around 2 p.m. to a “domestic” incident at the home.

UPDATE @ 6:30 p.m.

A home is surrounded tonight during a SWAT standoff in the 1800 block of Pater Avenue, just north of the intersection at Imlay Avenue.

Law enforcement can be heard periodically over a loudspeaker ordering a suspect to come out of a home with hands up.

A crowd of people who live in the area are watching the situation. One woman said the family involved in the standoff has only lived in the house for a couple months, and that two children are reportedly inside the home. 

FIRST REPORT

A SWAT standoff is underway tonight in Fairfield Twp.

The special weapons and tactics team was called at 4 p.m. to the 1800 block of Pater Avenue for a “domestic” incident, according to the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.

There is no information about what led to the incident. However, dispatch said it is not connected to a shooting on Saturday afternoon in the Walmart parking lot, 3201 Princeton Road, in Fairfield Twp.

>> Teen shot in leg during drug deal at Walmart parking lot, Fairfield Twp. police say

In that case, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the leg during what police said was an attempted drug transaction that involved another male between the ages of 16 and 19. The suspect remains at large.

Trotwood police investigate assault that shuts down road

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 4:46 PM

Trotwood police activity Video

Trotwood police are investigating an assault Sunday near Meadowdale Elementary School.

Crews were dispatched at 2:40 p.m. to Goldenrod Court in Trotwood on a report of a suspicious circumstance involving a vehicle. 

>>Two coal train cars carrying 200,000 pounds of raw steel derails in Clark County

The investigation shut down Goldenrod Court at Thompson Drive.

Police on scene said it was an assault, but did not discuss the nature of the assault or whether anyone was taken to the hospital. 

We are working to learn more and will update this page as information becomes available.

Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 1:52 AM

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

A pair of well-kept dogs were taken from the Perris, California, house where 13 children were found shackled and severely malnourished last week.

>> Watch the news report here

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, are facing a minimum of 94 years for charges including child neglect and torture after police said their children, ranging from ages 2 to 29, were discovered in their home severely malnourished.

>> Neighbors of parents accused of holding 13 kids captive describe family as odd, reclusive

In a statement on Wednesday, city spokesman Joe Vargo said authorities recovered two Maltese terrier dogs in far better condition than the Turpins’ children. The 1-year-old female puppies were reportedly healthy and were taught skills, People reported.

“The animals, one white and one black, appear healthy and friendly and are leash-trained, according to Christina Avila, a senior animal control officer,” a press release from the city of Perris said.

>> Read more trending news 

The dogs — one was named Fluffy — were featured in photos from the city appearing well-groomed and in sweaters. An adoption raffle for the pups is being held through Jan. 26 to find them new homes.

Investigators said the children were only allowed showers a few times per year and were fed only once per day. In a press conference with reporters Thursday, District Attorney Mike Hestrin alleged that the last time any of the children had seen a doctor was four years ago and they had never been to a dentist. Police said the parents allegedly kept themselves well-fed and regularly ate pies in front of their children to taunt them, ABC News reported.

>> Police: 13 siblings held captive in California residence

The 17-year-old who reportedly escaped the home through a bedroom window to alert authorities was initially believed to be just 10 years old due to the severity of her malnourishment, while the oldest victim, a 29-year-old woman, weighed only 82 pounds when the children were found. According to Hestrin, the children “lack a basic knowledge of life,” although they were allegedly homeschooled, KTLA reported.

According to the Daily Mail, the parents face a combined total of 75 charges, and each was being held on $12 million bond.

Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 7:48 AM

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

David and Louise Turpin are facing a string of charges, including torture, after police say the couple kept their 13 children locked away in subhuman conditions in their Perris, California, home. On Thursday, the Turpins made their first court appearance.

>> Watch the video here

>> On Rare.us: Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the alleged abuse

David Turpin appeared in chains, wearing a lavender shirt and black jacket while his wife sat nearby, also in chains and a black jacket. The Turpins entered not guilty pleas to all of the charges, some of which date back to 2010. The district attorney says the couple is facing 94 years to life in prison if convicted on all counts.

>> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

During the arraignment, the Turpins were quiet and spoke only to say they acknowledged their right to a speedy preliminary hearing, CBS reports. They will appear in court again on Feb. 23, and their bail was set at $13 million.

District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in a press conference, “As a prosecutor, there are cases that stick with you, that will haunt you. Sometimes, in this business, we’re faced with looking at human depravity, and that’s what we’re looking at here.”

Authorities said the parents were able to keep their children hidden away by listing their home as a private school. Some of the kids, who ranged in ages from 2 to 29, reportedly didn’t know what a police officer was.

The children were only allowed to eat once a day and shower twice a year, authorities said. However, the parents reportedly did allow them to keep journals, and authorities said the kids filled hundreds of notebooks. Those have not been released and are still being reviewed by law enforcement.

The children are currently being cared for in the hospital, authorities said. The Riverside University Health System has set up a fund for the children that will go to their long-term needs, according to a press release. The hospital said the children have already seen a tremendous outpouring of support.

>> Read more trending news 

Brian Rokos of the Press-Enterprise was present at the hearing and reported that David Turpin is being represented by a public defender, while Louise Turpin has outside counsel. During Thursday’s arraignment, the public defender requested that media be banned from the trial, but the judge shot that down. Rokos said reporters from around the world were in the courtroom. The Turpins' lawyers have not announced whether they will try to have the case moved out of Riverside County.