Trotwood police investigate after multiple shots fired calls

Published: Saturday, February 03, 2018 @ 10:31 PM
Updated: Saturday, February 03, 2018 @ 11:25 PM

Trotwood grand police activity

There was heavy police presence tonight after police responded to multiple reports of shots fired in the area of the 200 block of Grand Avenue.

Trotwood police spotted casings in the driveway of a house, but occupants apparently refused to come out.

>> Man tackles car break-in suspect, holds him until police arrive in Dayton

Eventually, a few people did come out. One person was seen in handcuffs but later let go. No one was arrested.

>> Woman, 71, caught in crossfire and shot in head drives herself to hospital

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Springfield man accused of abduction, stomping on woman’s head

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 8:12 AM
Updated: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 8:45 PM


            Jonathan J. Rockey
Jonathan J. Rockey

A Springfield man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly abducted a woman he knows and stomped on her head in Pike Twp. last week.

MORE: Springfield man holds alleged thief at gunpoint until police arrive

Jonathan J. Rockey, 36, of Springfield, pleaded not guilty to one count each of domestic violence, abduction, disrupting public services, assault, menacing and unauthorized use of a vehicle in Clark County Municipal Court on Tuesday morning. Bond was set at $23,500.

Clark County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to the intersection of Studebaker Road and Ayers Pike for an active domestic violence dispute on Feb. 17. The victim and another man who stopped to help told deputies the suspect just drove off in a minivan towards Miami County, according to a police report.

A witness told deputies he was driving on Ayers Pike when he heard a woman calling for help. As he pulled up to the van, he allegedly saw Rockey stomping on a woman’s head. The witness told Rockey he had an active concealed carry permit, the report said. Rockey allegedly threatened the witness, he said.

MORE: Springfield woman allegedly assaults man for bashing Barack Obama

The victim told deputies she had just arrived home in New Carlisle when Rockey asked her to go on a car ride, the report said. Rockey allegedly had alcohol on his breath and threw the victim’s phone into the back of the car so she wouldn’t be able to reach it. Rockey drove to some woods the victim wasn’t familiar with and allegedly refused to take her home, the report said.

Rockey accused the woman of cheating on him and allegedly told her if she didn’t tell the truth she wouldn’t make it out of the woods alive, the report said. The victim began yelling for help and Rockey allegedly pulled her out of the vehicle and began stomping on her head and stomach until the witness arrived to help. The victim told deputies multiple times she believed he was going to kill her, it said.

Rockey was taken into custody by deputies on Monday evening in New Carlisle, according to jail records.

3 QUICK NEWS-SUN READS

Family: Attempted robbery led to shooting of Springfield teen

Springfield man allegedly breaks into home to steal television

Trending - Most Read Stories

Driver cited in ambulance crash in Warren County

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 4:20 PM


            The driver accused of causing this head-on crash with an ambulance in Warren County has been cited into court.
The driver accused of causing this head-on crash with an ambulance in Warren County has been cited into court.

The Lebanon man driving the truck that crashed head-on into an ambulance earlier this month, sending himself and three people to the hospital for treatment, is to appear in court Thursday on a misdemeanor charge.

Jesse C. Jones, 21, of Lebanon, was charged with “lanes of travel” on Tuesday in Warren County Court.

RELATED:Lebanon man to be cited in head-on crash with ambulance

On Feb. 9, Jones, two ambulance technicians and a woman they were transporting to a hospital after she suffered a stroke, were treated after the three-vehicle crash on Ohio 122 outside Red Lion in Clearcreek Twp., Warren County.

Jones and the ambulance techs were treated and released.

MORE: Trooper urges caution after 2nd deadly crash in Warren County

Marjorie Bottorff, 52, the person being transported at the time of the crash, remained in serious condition on Wednesday at Miami Valley Hospital.

Jones is required to appear for his arraignment scheduled for 1:20 p.m. Thursday at the county court in Lebanon.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Illegal immigrants dealt kilos of fentanyl in Miami County, feds say

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:03 PM


            Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria
Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria

Two illegal immigrants from Mexico have been charged with intent to distribute several kilograms worth of fentanyl in Miami County, according to court documents.

Nabor Zapeda-Ibarria, 23, and Jesus Mayorga Gonzalez, 40, have been charged with possession and intent to distribute more than 400 grams of fentanyl in Dayton’s U.S. District Court.

RELATED: Dayton’s ‘El Chapo Jr.’ sentenced to lengthy prison term

A magistrate judge ruled Tuesday that both would remain detained during their case. Both are scheduled for a March 2 preliminary hearing.

Confidential sources told law enforcement that a residence at 5545 County Road 25A in Tipp City was being used by a drug trafficking organization with ties to Mexico, according to a criminal complaint and affidavit written by a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) special agent.

In January, Mayorga Gonzalez was stopped for speeding on Interstate 75 and provided false names for both defendants, according to the complaint.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

The special agent wrote that, according to a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office detective assigned to a Homeland Security task force, Mayorga Gonzalez was the subject of a November 2016 seizure of nine kilograms (19.84 pounds) of heroin and $400,000.

“Specifically, during the prior investigation a cooperating witness stated that Mayorga Gonzalez was a coordinator f0r large amounts of heroin coming into the Dayton area and was also involved with the collection of large amounts of drug proceeds,” the special agent wrote. A prosecutor and defense attorney both said Tuesday that Mayorga Gonzalez was not arrested the 2016 case.

The affidavit said that the DEA obtained a search warrant earlier this month for the “target residence”and located Zapeda-Ibarria inside along with evidence.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

The evidence mentioned included a hydraulic press, Tyvek suits, face masks and more than $150,000 cash, three kilograms of suspected fentanyl in the attic floor, a loaded handgun, scales and suspected drug cutting agents.

Mayorga Gonzalez was found with a key to the residence, according to the complaint, which stated that both men admitted to being in the country illegally.

Trending - Most Read Stories

No phones, social media ordered for middle school students facing felony charges for nude photos and video

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 2:24 PM


            .
.

Two Wilson Middle School students will be back in court next month to appear before a juvenile judge on felony charges involving nude photos and video.

The 12-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl who are students in the Hamilton school were arrested earlier this month and charged with illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material.

According to police reports, the male student obtained pictures and a video of the female performing sex acts on herself. The male student then sent the material to other students via his cell phone.

FIRST REPORT: 2 Hamilton middle school student charged with felonies related to explicit photos, videos

The 12-year-olds were arraigned on Wednesday before a Butler County juvenile court magistrate, where no plea was entered, according to Rob Clevenger, court administrator. A pre-trial hearing before county juvenile court Judge Ronald Craft is scheduled for March 26.

At Wednesday’s hearing, the two defendants were ordered to be under supervision of court monitoring, have no cell phone or access to social media and use the internet for school purposes only.

Hamilton Sgt. Brian Robinson compared the charges the duo are facing to possessing or distributing child pornography.

“There is a big difference between this and sexting,” he said.

Trending - Most Read Stories