log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, March 01, 2018 @ 4:16 PM
The Trotwood man accused of shooting at police during a 2½-hour standoff last October was sentenced Thursday to 14 years in prison.
William D. Gibson, 43, will serve the mandatory 14 years as stipulated in a plea agreement that Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Adkins saw no reason to alter.
Three of the years were for a firearm specification and the other 11 years on each concurrent count were for felonious assault on a peace officer. Gibson nor his attorney said anything prior to sentencing and none of his supporters from earlier hearings were in attendance.
There was no victim impact statement from Trotwood police.
“Thankfully, none of the officers were injured during this intense situation,” Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr. said via a press release. “Considering the number of firearms the defendant had, and the number of shots he fired, it could easily have turned deadly.”
Gibson, who earned 140 days jail-time credit, must pay court costs and will be on five years’ post-release control after he is out of prison.
Adkins also ruled that the weapons seized be disposed of by Trotwood police.
Gibson pleaded guilty Wednesday to seven counts in exchange for the dismissal of several other counts related to the Oct. 13 incident that started when Gibson called 911 and said his wife accidentally shot herself.
After the 11:30 a.m. call that day, police arrived and started treating his wife outside the residence. Police said Gibson told them they had one minute to leave or he would start shooting.
Gibson fired a shot inside the residence at 4645 Wolf Creek Pike, according to Trotwood police Chief Eric Wilson, who said his officers then felt they were being targeted in what officials said was an active shooter situation.
“Given the severity of the situation, he was facing a lot of years, a lot more years given the number of officers that were identified in the indictment,” defense attorney Michael Pentecost said Wednesday. “We felt this was the best outcome for him to minimize his exposure to a long prison term.”
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 1:13 PM
TROY – Six years in prison was ordered Monday for a Piqua man who pleaded guilty to rape of an adult woman.
Stanley Fraley, 62, was charged last fall in a case involving the woman, who told Troy police she was raped with force.
Fraley initially pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity to the charge. He was found competent to stand trial Jan. 23 by Judge Jeannine Pratt in Miami County Common Pleas Court.
Fraley pleaded guilty in late January.
Public defender Jack Hemm said Monday he “wouldn’t attempt to justify anything that happened” in the case. Fraley declined comment.
Assistant Prosecutor Paul Watkins said there was no justification for Fraley’s “horrific” actions.
Before ordering the sentence, Pratt said Fraley showed no genuine remorse and noted the victim suffered physical and psychological harm.
“No means no,” Pratt said.
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 10:37 AM
— A judge’s ruling will allow a former Miamisburg teacher facing trial on charges of having sex with a middle school student access to forensic interviews of the alleged victim.
The attorney for Jessica Langford stated in court documents that failure to provide those interviews to his 32-year-old Centerville client “arguably violates her Sixth Amendment right” to have the assistance of counsel.
Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Timothy O’Connell granted Langford access “for the reasons set forth in the defendant’s motion,” according to the ruling filed last week.
Forensic interviews are conducted at a child advocacy center when there has been a report that the child may have been a victim of physical or sexual abuse or when a child may have witnessed a violent crime.
Langford has been indicted on three counts of sexual battery and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, whom Prosecutor Mathias Heck Jr. described as a 14-year-old. She is accused of having oral sex and intercourse with a student “on or about May 23,” according to court documents.
Miamisburg City School District documents state she resigned the next day. Miami Twp. police investigated the case. She was indicted in November and a week later pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The trial is scheduled for the week of April 9.
-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 9:20 AM
Updated: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 10:36 AM
UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m.: Patrick O’Donnell, the former Indian Lake superintendent who pleaded to a count of gross sexual imposition, will spend more than four years in prison.
He was sentenced today to 54 months in prison. He also will have to register as a Tier Two sex offender upon his release from prison.
FIRST POST: The former Indian Lake superintendent who pleaded to a count of gross sexual imposition will be sentenced this morning.
Patrick O’Donnell who was found guilty after entering an Alford plea just before opening arguments in the trial against him were to begin last month.
He faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. He will also have to register as a sex offender for 25 years.
An Alford plea isn’t an admission of guilt, defense attorney Sam Shamansky said, but a plea that accepts its punishment.
O’Donnell had faced 14 child-sex related charges, including rape, gross sexual imposition and sexual battery. He entered the Alford plea to one count of gross sexual imposition and the rest of the charges were dismissed as part of a plea deal.
3 MUST READ STORIES
Published: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 5:35 PM
Updated: Saturday, March 17, 2018 @ 7:34 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 7:34 p.m.
University of Dayton officials released a statement tonight regarding the decision to clear the large crowds in the student neighborhood.
“University of Dayton police and Dayton police determined that a large crowd blocking Lowes Street, throwing objects at police and others and not responding to police commands, presented an extremely dangerous situation on Saturday afternoon. Police orders to clear the street were not successful and police were withdrawn for safety reasons. Additional UD and Dayton police officers were called and moved to clear the street about 6:30 p.m. The street was cleared in about a half hour without incident. No one was arrested during the dispersal. A strong police presence will be in the student neighborhood Saturday night and on Sunday and if a similar crowd gathers, it will be ordered to disperse.”
UPDATE @ 7 p.m.
Police turned out in riot gear to disperse the St. Patrick’s Day revelry in the streets of the University of Dayton student neighborhood after students started throwing bottles and rocks at them, police said.
As police in crowd control gear were getting ready to walk down the street, a huge cheer went out for a Domino’s pizza delivery driver who brought a couple pies to a house nearby.
Other students started yelling at an officer who got out of the back of a SWAT vehicle. The officer said he’d rather be celebrating himself or at home watching NCAA tournament games.
UD police clearing out Lowes Street pic.twitter.com/YgyaO4PAqT— James Buechele (@JBuecheleWHIO) March 17, 2018
With the streets clear and most students inside their homes, police were walking the streets, ordering stragglers who remained in yards and porches to go inside.
UPDATE @ 6:30 p.m.
Police cleared the streets of people in the student neighborhood, which were filled with a couple thousand students celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.
Officers in crowd-control gear were walking the streets, ordering students who remain outside to go indoors and lock their doors.
Thousands of students are in the streets and front yards this afternoon, defying orders to leave or go inside.
The University of Dayton students, most wearing green in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, took to the student neighborhood mostly in the Kiefaber Street area.
Dayton and University of Dayton officers in riot gear with shields in front blocked the street, using a loudspeaker to order students to return to their homes or leave the area.
There were earlier reports of students throwing bottles, rocks and firecrackers, with some hitting officers according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.
Vehicles were getting damaged, and some students had on football padding.
Around 5:30 p.m., there were 26 Dayton police cruisers with numerous Dayton police in riot gear. This was in addition to campus police on scene. There also were reports that police may be readying gas masks, possibly to deploy tear gas, according to scanner traffic.