5 things to know about Colerain gender reveal mass shooting

Published: Monday, July 17, 2017 @ 7:41 PM


            Police now believe a female shooting victim at a July 8 gender reveal party in the 9900 block of Capstan Drive, Colerain Twp., Hamilton County, lied about being pregnant and losing her baby after being shot.
Police now believe a female shooting victim at a July 8 gender reveal party in the 9900 block of Capstan Drive, Colerain Twp., Hamilton County, lied about being pregnant and losing her baby after being shot.

Colerain Twp. police said Monday investigators now believe that a woman shot at a gender reveal party on July 8 lied about being pregnant and losing her unborn child.

RELATED: Police say Colerain mass shooting victim lied about being pregnant

The unsolved mass shooting in the 9900 block of Capstan Drive left one woman dead and eight others injured, including three children.

Here are five things to know about the shooting:

Indiana woman dies: Autum Garrett, 22, of Huntington, Ind., suffered multiple gunshot wounds and died before first responders arrived on the scene. No arrests have been made in connection to the shootings and a motive hasn’t been discovered.

Words from those inside: A 9-1-1 call and subsequent witness statements say two shooters walked in the home and fired shots at the guests who were watching television.

Police say one victim lied: Officers now believe Cheyanne Willis, who was shot in the leg at a shower in her unborn baby’s honor, was not pregnant at the time. Colerain Twp. police said they would defer to the prosecutor for potential charges against Willis.

False info slows investigation: Colerain Twp. police say that witnesses in the home during the shooting have been reluctant to cooperate and have provided false information.

Reward could help: An anonymous donor has put up $10,000 leading to the arrest of people involved in the shooting.

A text-only tip line has been added, 513-470-7165, in an attempt to bring in more information. Callers can still provide information at 513-352-3040 or 513-321-COPS.

Local teacher arrested in death of pedestrian in hit and run crash 

Published: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 5:41 PM
Updated: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 6:52 AM

Crash victim's family files wrongful death lawsuit

UPDATE @ 6:53 a.m. (Nov. 21)

Our newsroom is working to gather more information on the arrest of Kristine M. Baggs, 40, of Springfield. She was booked into Clark County Jail Monday afternoon around 5 p.m. 

She is listed as a teacher in family and consumer science at Kenton Ridge High School. She made $52,788 in 2016, according to the Dayton Daily News Payroll Project.

EARLIER REPORT (Nov. 20)

A Northeastern School District teacher has been indicted in a deadly hit and run pedestrian accident that killed a man standing on North Tecumseh Road in Bethel Twp. last year.

Kristine Baggs is charged with failure to stop after an accident, tampering with evidence and two counts of vehicular manslaughter, according to the Clark County Common Pleas Court website. 

Lawrence J. Mason, 45, of Medway was struck and killed by a silver 2015 Dodge Durango in September 2016, according to an Ohio State Highway Patrol crash report. The vehicle and driver left the scene, according to investigators.

The vehicle was later traced to the Baggs family, and Mason’s family filed a wrongful death lawsuit.

Baggs was arrested Monday afternoon, more than a year after the deadly accident.

"I'm hoping the family may have some justice for their loved one with Ms. Baggs going to jail for this indictment and charges," said Lt. Brian Aller, commander of the Ohio State Highway Patrol's Springfield post. 

Kristine Baggs is a teacher in the Northeastern School District, Superintendent John Kronour said. 

Kronour said he couldn't comment until he knows more about the situation. 

She hasn't been suspended or put on leave at this time. 

"Not yet, but I anticipate that might be forthcoming," Kronour said.

Victim shot in Dayton drives to Miami Valley Hospital

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 3:35 AM

SCENE: Police look for clues in Dayton shooting

A shooting victim reportedly drove themselves to Miami Valley Hospital.

Around 3:20 a.m., a shooting victim reportedly arrived at Miami Valley Hospital. The victim said they were shot in the area of Fairview Avenue and Main Street in Dayton.

>> Local Crime News: 2 arrested after crash ends in high-speed bid to elude Butler twp. police

This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.

SEE: Cruiser cam video of pursuit, crash in Dayton carjacking incident

Published: Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 3:59 PM
Updated: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 5:37 PM

Cruiser cam video has been released of a pursuit that went through parts of Dayton on Nov. 10.

UPDATE @ 5:35 p.m. (Nov. 20): See cruiser cam video of the Nov. 11 pursuit and crash stemming from a carjacking incident in Dayton.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio. com

UPDATE @ 12:30 a.m. (Nov. 11)

Police said they are continuing to look for suspects in the Friday afternoon carjacking.

UPDATE @ 6:10 p.m. (Nov. 10)

A carjacking suspect was caught this afternoon hiding inside a vacant house after a police pursuit ended in a car crash.

Pursuit in Dayton ends in crash

Police are still looking for other suspects who stole a car at gunpoint from a man in the area of Hoover and Gettysburg avenues about 2:10 p.m., Dayton police Lt. Eric Sheldon said.

“There were several suspects that robbed the owner at gunpoint,” he said.

>> Elderly man hit by car in Dayton suffers life-threatening injuries

Dayton police spotted the stolen car in the area of James H. McGee Boulevard and Gettysburg Avenue. At that point, only the driver was in the car, Sheldon said.

“They attempted to apprehend the driver. He fled and then officers chased the suspect in their vehicles and it ended up here at Cornell (Drive) and Tennyson (Avenue) where it crashed into a fence.

>> Fairborn paramedic tending OD patient overdoses on way to hospital

“The driver of the vehicle fled on foot and some of our officers were able to locate him hiding in a vacant house,” Sheldon said.

No one was injured, but the stolen car and a police cruiser had to be towed. The cruiser was damaged after the chase went off the road through a field when it hit a curb.

The name and age of the suspect arrested has not yet been released. Police said the suspects likely would face aggravated robbery charges.

FIRST REPORT

A police chase has ended with a crash in the area of Tennyson Avenue and Cornell Drive, according to initial reports.

>> Local crime news

The crash was reported about 3:45 p.m.

We’re working to learn more.

20 hours of community service for students in Lebanon High knife case

Published: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 11:42 AM
Updated: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 2:39 PM


            Two Lebanon boys were ordered to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their punishment for involvement in an incident during which three knives were carried into Lebanon High School. Judge Joseph Kirby also barred them from possessing weapons, ordered them to pay $65 in court costs and suspended 90-day sentences in local detention during a hearing Warren County Juvenile Court.
Two Lebanon boys were ordered to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their punishment for involvement in an incident during which three knives were carried into Lebanon High School. Judge Joseph Kirby also barred them from possessing weapons, ordered them to pay $65 in court costs and suspended 90-day sentences in local detention during a hearing Warren County Juvenile Court.

Two Lebanon boys were each ordered to complete 20 hours of community service as part of their punishment for involvement in an incident during which three knives were carried into Lebanon High School.

During a court hearing today, Warren County Juvenile Court Judge Joseph Kirby also barred them from possessing weapons, ordered them to pay $65 in court costs, placed them on probation and suspended 90-day sentences in local detention.

The judge referred to cases of violence involving weapons across the country.

RELATED: Lebanon student detained after knife incident at school

“Nobody knows who’s capable of doing something that’s going to make the headlines,” Kirby said.

The boys — one a 15-year-old from Lebanon, the other a 17-year-old from Clearcreek Twp. — admitted to attempting to convey a deadly weapon into a school safety zone.

One said he carried a box-cutter knife into school to sell to another student. The other said he kept in his locker three knives confiscated during the investigation.

They were charged on Oct. 6, several weeks after another boy who was sentenced last week in his case.

RELATED: Two more charged with bringing knives to Lebanon High School

The boy in the earlier case was originally charged with threatening another student with the knife, and he later admitted that he brought a knife to the high school on Sept. 15 to protect himself from another student.

Last Monday, he was placed on probation and ordered to complete 30 hours of community service for conveying a deadly weapon in a school safety zone.

RELATED: Lebanon student detained after knife incident at school

Unlike in the case of the first boy charged, Lebanon Officer Stephen Drake said in his complaints the two boys in court Monday “did bring a knife to Lebanon High School, but did not threaten anyone. Warren County wanted charges filed.”

After the Sept. 15 incident, school officials reported finding multiple knives after students reported that they had either seen or heard about the knives.