5 things to know about arrest of 'affluenza' teen Ethan Couch

Updated: Thursday, September 01, 2016 @ 9:29 AM
Published: Wednesday, December 30, 2016 @ 11:13 AM
By: Cox Media Group National Content Desk

            5 things to know about arrest of 'affluenza' teen Ethan Couch
Ethan Couch and his mother Tonya Couch were detained in the resort town of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, by Mexican authorities on Dec. 28, 2015. (Twitter / @mashable)

Trending on Facebook

Ethan Couch and his mother, Tonya Couch, were detained by authorities Monday night.

>> Read more trending stories  

A manhunt ensued for the "affluenza" teen when he went missing in early December after violating his 10-year probation for killing four people in a drunken driving incident in Texas in 2013. Authorities were alerted when the 18-year-old failed to report to his probation officer Dec. 10. Shortly before failing to report to the probation officer, a video surfaced that allegedly showed Couch at a party with alcohol, possibly playing beer pong, a violation of the terms of his probation. 

 Here's what you should know about the arrest: 

1. The two were found in Mexico.

The Couches were detained by authorities in the resort town of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, the Tarrant County Texas District Attorney's Office confirmed Monday around 6 p.m. According to a police report, the mother and son were located after using a personal cellphone to order pizza in Mexico.

2. Mexican authorities have them in custody.

The mother and son were detained at an immigration office in Guadalajara with plans to be turned over to American authorities. The Couches were expected to fly commercially to Houston, Texas on Wednesday, but they filed a legal writ to allow them to stay in Mexico.

“They’re trying to fight being brought back somehow,” Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson said. “It’s just a continuing string of what we’ve seen all along. We're patient people. We’ll be waiting.”

If and when they return to the U.S., Ethan Couch will appear in front of a juvenile judge and Tanya Couch could be charged with hindering an apprehension and aiding and abetting. If found guilty, Tanya Couch, 48, will serve time in an American jail. 

3. Multiple units aided in the search for Ethan Couch.

Initially, local authorities launched a search for Couch when a warrant was issued for his arrest after he disappeared. Shortly thereafter, the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service joined in the search.

On Dec.17, Anderson said this: "You can run, but you're always going to be looking over your shoulder. We're not going to give up. We're going to come after you. We're going to find you, wherever you are."

4. The teen was said to have had a going-away party before fleeing.

 At a press conference Tuesday morning, Anderson said the mother and son may have celebrated in some way "akin to a going-away party" before heading to Mexico.

5. Ethan Couch may be tried as an adult.

According to Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson, officials will aim to have Ethan Couch's juvenile sentence revoked and to try him as an adult. If his juvenile sentence is upheld, he will serve four months in confinement and will be released on his 19th birthday in April. 

2-year-old hit by car in same area where girl 11, was fatally struck

Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2016 @ 7:42 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE @ 6:25 p.m.

“A little kid just ran out in the road and he got hit by a car,” a caller told a 911 dispatcher.

The caller said the driver of a red Saturn stopped and was still on scene after striking the young boy. The accident happened around 3:30 p.m. in the 2000 block of North Main Street in Dayton.

“He’s 2 … he’s awake, he’s alert,” the caller said, adding the child was bleeidng from his nose following the accident.


A 2-year-old child was hit by a car this afternoon in the same block where an 11-year-old girl was fatally struck earlier this month.

The 2-year-old was struck around 3:30 p.m. in the 2000 block of North Main Street in Dayton. The young child was awake and breathing and was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center. The child’s name, gender and condition were not available.

Makyla White was hit by a car and dragged several feet Oct. 12 while trying to cross the 2000 block of North Main Street. She died of her injuries Oct. 14 at Miami Valley Hospital.

Police have said the section of North Main Street where the accident occurred has been identified as a problem because of the high incidents of speeding as well as jaywalking. Police also have said crosswalks are often ignored.

Gas station shooting victim not cooperating with police

Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2016 @ 5:41 PM
Published: Sunday, October 23, 2016 @ 5:34 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE @ 3:30 p.m. (Oct. 23)

The man shot while pumping gas late Friday night is still a patient at Miami Valley Hospital.

The condition of the 31-year-old victim is not being released.

Police said on Saturday the victim is not cooperating with investigators.

According to the police report, the man was shot while pumping gas at the Shell, 4125 W. Third St.

The victim’s car — A white 2004 Cadillac Deville — is registered to a different person, according to the report.

UPDATE @ 12:05 a.m. (Oct. 22)

A man shot Friday night while pumping gas is not cooperating with police, and his injuries are not considered life-threatening, Dayton police said early today.

UPDATE @ 11:50 p.m.

A male was shot tonight while pumping gas at a Shell gas station.

The nozzle was off the hook at pump 6 and yellow crime scene tape surrounded the station, 4125 W. Third St., in Dayton.

Police found two shell casings on the ground, but don’t know whether the gunshot victim was shot once or twice. The victim was taken by private car to Miami Valley Hospital. Police were waiting word on his condition, Sgt. Matthew Osterday said.


Police are surrounding a Shell gas station with yellow crime scene tape tonight following a report of a shooting.

The incident was reported around 11:20 p.m. in the area of Gettysburg Avenue and West Third Street in Dayton. One person was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

The gunshot victim’s name, age, gender and condition were not available.

Dayton police: Man leaves party, gets shot during robbery try

Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2016 @ 5:09 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

            Dayton police: Man leaves party, gets shot during robbery try
Shooting reported on Home Avenue in Dayton

A 26-year-0ld man told police he had just left a house party when he was shot while trying to flee a would-be robber.

The man said the incident happened just before 4:10 a.m. Saturday in the 2100 block of Home Avenue while he was headed home from the party.

The gunshot victim said he was walking in an alley when a male he did not know said, “give me all you got,” according to the Dayton police report. The man said he ran and then heard a gunshot. The round struck him in the left forearm, the report stated.

Fire was 2nd in same night at vacant Dayton duplex

Updated: Saturday, October 22, 2016 @ 11:29 PM
By: Breaking News Staff

UPDATE @ 11:25 p.m.

Dayton firefighters were called twice in the same night at a vacant duplex.

Crews were called around 10:10 p.m. in South McGee street between East Third and Fourth streets. The house had its front windows boarded.

“This is a suspicious fire,” District Chief James Rose said. “It’s a vacant duplex. It’s our second time out here today. We were here earlier, maybe three of four hours ago, for a smaller attempt at an arson … but they were a little more successful this second time around.”

An arson investigator is on scene and will be talking to neighbors and any other witnesses and following up on all leads and tips, the district chief said.

Fires at vacant residences do not happen in just one section of town, he said.

“It’s a problem anyplace there are vacant structures. Wherever you find vacants, you find vacant house fires,” Rose said.


Crews were called tonight to a report of a house fire.

The blaze was reported around 10:10 p.m. on South McGee Street between East Third and Fourth streets. One witness said he could see flames shooting several feet in the air from the roof of the house, which had boards over its windows.