Teacher accused of sexually assaulting special-education student appears in court

Published: Thursday, July 13, 2017 @ 8:05 AM

Teacher Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Special-Education Student Appears In Court

A former teacher who reportedly has confessed to having sex with one of her students “a handful of times” between December 2016 and April 2017 appeared in a Bridgeport, Connecticut, court Tuesday to be arraigned on charges of sexual assault.

>> Watch the news report here

According to the New Haven Register, 31-year-old Laura Ramos, a married mother of a young child, was a special-education teacher at Central High School but resigned after she was arrested.

Ramos' husband went to the courthouse with his wife, sat with her before her name was called and then left with her, the Register reported.

Police said Ramos' illicit relationship with an 18-year-old student began over text and turned physical in the back of her car, according to the arrest warrant.

>> Teacher accused of sex with 4 students, including 2 at same time, now faces 21 charges

A witness who texted with the teacher said, “Ms. Ramos would complain that her ‘man’ or ‘guy’ does not want to have sex or do anything with her," police said.

It’s not clear if this was referring to the husband or the student.

“Witness 1 noticed the victim would hang out in Ms. Ramos’ class and ... would watch them make eyes at each other, like flirting,” police documents say.

>> Read more trending news

Authorities said Ramos initially denied that anything inappropriate took place, then admitted she talked with the 18-year-old student believed to have been involved. She later told investigators, “You’re not going to be happy with what you find on my phone," according to the documents.

Ramos has a plea hearing scheduled for July 25.

Flares, not improvised explosive devices, ignited at Florida mall, FBI says

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 9:33 AM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 1:04 PM



WFTV.com
(WFTV.com)

 

Lake Wales police are searching for those responsible for igniting two marine flares Sunday evening near the entrance of the JC Penney at the Eagle Ridge Mall Sunday evening.

>> Read more trending news

Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion at the mall on 451 Eagle Ridge Drive around 5:20 p.m.

Firefighters initially said that an improvised explosive device had been detonated in a corridor located next to the mall entrance of JC Penney.

The FBI later determined that there was no explosion and no pipe bombs were discovered. Officials also said that the incident didn’t appear to be terrorism-related.

"It appears two items, believed to be marine flares, were ignited in a mall hallway, creating a large amount of smoke, and a backpack was located at the scene," said Andrea Aprea, an FBI spokeswoman. "Bomb technicians examined the contents of the backpack and determined it did not contain any incendiary or explosive devices."

A witness who called 911 told WFTV that she heard a fire alarm sound and saw orange smoke billowing from an object.

The mall was evacuated. No one was injured, but a ceiling and a wall were damaged by the flares, officials said.

After speaking with witnesses, police said they are looking for a person of interest described as a stocky, middle-aged white man wearing a gray shirt and a hat.

Detectives said they will review surveillance footage recorded at a jewelry store in the mall.

The investigation is ongoing.

Hotel evacuated after man walks in carrying multiple firearms, police say

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

Authorities were called to a hotel in Henry County, Georgia, on Monday, Jan. 22, 2018, after a man was spotted with multiple guns, officials said.
WSBTV.com
Authorities were called to a hotel in Henry County, Georgia, on Monday, Jan. 22, 2018, after a man was spotted with multiple guns, officials said.(WSBTV.com)

Police in Henry County searched a hotel in McDonough on Monday morning after getting reports of an armed man at the hotel.

Hundreds of journals found in home where 13 siblings held captive, DA says

Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 6:30 AM

Details Emerge About 13 Siblings Rescued From California Home

We are learning more about the California home where police say 13 siblings were kept in subhuman conditions by their parents

>> Watch the news report here

Although the children in the home, ages 2 to 29, were only allowed to bathe twice a year and eat once a day, they were allowed to write in journals, authorities said. District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in a press conference that the children kept hundreds of journals, and he believes they will be “very significant” in the upcoming court case, the Desert Sun reports. Hestrin added that he thinks the journals will provide “strong evidence of what occurred in that home.”

>> Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

Researchers are also interested in the journals as they detail the firsthand accounts of the alleged abuse. One academic told the Desert Sun: “There is a good chance that being able to write may have kept them sane. In an interesting way, this may have helped them come to terms with the bizarre world they lived in.” He even compared them to the journals kept by Anne Frank.

>> Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

The journals could prove valuable for prosecutors as they might provide evidence that could be used to cross-examine the parents, David and Louise Turpin. The Turpins are facing life in prison for a series of charges, including torture.

>> Read more trending news 

The journals have not been made public, and law enforcement officials are currently in the process of reviewing them.

The conditions in the home were unimaginable, authorities said. The children reportedly were beaten and chained to furniture. Neighbors recalled seeing them marching during the night. They were discovered when one girl escaped and managed to find a police officer, authorities said.

Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

Published: Sunday, January 21, 2018 @ 1:52 AM

13 Siblings Held Captive In California "House of Horrors"

A pair of well-kept dogs were taken from the Perris, California, house where 13 children were found shackled and severely malnourished last week.

>> Watch the news report here

David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, are facing a minimum of 94 years for charges including child neglect and torture after police said their children, ranging from ages 2 to 29, were discovered in their home severely malnourished.

>> Neighbors of parents accused of holding 13 kids captive describe family as odd, reclusive

In a statement on Wednesday, city spokesman Joe Vargo said authorities recovered two Maltese terrier dogs in far better condition than the Turpins’ children. The 1-year-old female puppies were reportedly healthy and were taught skills, People reported.

“The animals, one white and one black, appear healthy and friendly and are leash-trained, according to Christina Avila, a senior animal control officer,” a press release from the city of Perris said.

>> Read more trending news 

The dogs — one was named Fluffy — were featured in photos from the city appearing well-groomed and in sweaters. An adoption raffle for the pups is being held through Jan. 26 to find them new homes.

Investigators said the children were only allowed showers a few times per year and were fed only once per day. In a press conference with reporters Thursday, District Attorney Mike Hestrin alleged that the last time any of the children had seen a doctor was four years ago and they had never been to a dentist. Police said the parents allegedly kept themselves well-fed and regularly ate pies in front of their children to taunt them, ABC News reported.

>> Police: 13 siblings held captive in California residence

The 17-year-old who reportedly escaped the home through a bedroom window to alert authorities was initially believed to be just 10 years old due to the severity of her malnourishment, while the oldest victim, a 29-year-old woman, weighed only 82 pounds when the children were found. According to Hestrin, the children “lack a basic knowledge of life,” although they were allegedly homeschooled, KTLA reported.

According to the Daily Mail, the parents face a combined total of 75 charges, and each was being held on $12 million bond.