Stop sending EMS to respond to overdose calls, Ohio councilman says

Published: Thursday, June 22, 2017 @ 12:22 PM

Ohio Councilman Says Stop Sending EMS To Overdose Calls

Frustration over the amount of money and public safety services being devoted to drug overdoses led to one Middletown, Ohio, city council member asking if it was possible for the city to not respond to such calls.

>> Read more trending news 

Saying the city needs to think outside the box, Middletown City Council member Dan Picard asked if it was possible for EMS to not respond to overdose calls.

Noting people with cancer don’t get free chemotherapy from medics, nor do people having heart attacks get a free heart bypass in an EMS run, Picard asked if there was a law that requires the city to respond to overdose calls.

MORE: Middletown on pace to double 2016 drug overdose numbers

The city is on pace to spend $100,000 for Narcan when it was budgeted $10,000 for the entire year, according to City Manager Doug Adkins.

Adkins said the city could privatize EMS services, or not have them at all. He said he would seek an opinion from the city’s law department.

Picard, who recently told the Journal-News he is not running for re-election in the fall, suggested issuing a court summons to a person who overdoses and ordering them to complete community service to work off the costs of the EMS run and Narcan.

He said arresting those who overdose only adds more costs to city taxpayers and strains the city jail and court system.

According to Adkins, most of those who overdose are transients and are not residents of the city.

“I want to send a message to the world that you don’t want to come to Middletown to overdose because someone might not come with Narcan and save your life,” Picard said. “We need to put a fear about overdosing in Middletown.”

MORE: Heroin ‘eating’ Middletown’s public safety services

Related

Convicted rapist won't have joint custody of victim's child after judge rescinds ruling

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 1:49 AM

Judge Rescinds Ruling, Convicted Rapist Won’t Have Joint Custody of Victim’s Child

The Michigan judge behind a controversial ruling last month, which granted a convicted sex offender joint legal custody to the child conceived by his 12-year-old victim in 2008, has rescinded his decisionCBS News reports.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Woman’s rapist gets joint custody of child he fathered in assault

Sanilac County Judge Gregory Ross ruled Tuesday that 27-year-old Christopher Mirasolo will not have any parental rights to the 8-year-old boy. However, he will still be expected to pay for child support.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Lawyer: Rapist granted joint custody of boy he fathered will not seek visitation

Mirasolo was not seeking custody of the child. This odd scenario started when the mother, now 21, sought state assistance for her son. Ross ruled for joint legal custody after a DNA test verified Mirasolo was the boy’s biological father.

>> On Rare.us: In wake of #MeToo, men are vowing to make changes with hashtag of their own

Why did Ross initially grant Mirasolo legal custody? John Nevin, a spokesman for the Michigan Supreme Court, said that Ross wasn’t aware of Mirasolo’s two convictions, nor of how he and the mother were connected. After learning of Mirasolo’s record, Ross put the order on hold and rescheduled a hearing for Tuesday.

In a statement released to the Port Huron Times Herald, Sanilac County Prosecutor James Young said he wanted to “express [officials’] apologies for the manner in which this case was handled.”

>> Read more trending news 

The mother, identified only as Tiffany, spoke to CBS News earlier this month and expressed dismay that the judge would grant her attacker joint custody of her son. She said she had to provide the father’s name as a condition of receiving state financial assistance.

“I was receiving government assistance, and they told me if I did not tell them who the father was of my child, that they would take that away from me,” Tiffany said.

She said “horrible things” and “flashbacks” still come to mind when she hears Mirasolo’s name.

2 security officials fired after United Airlines passenger dragged off plane in viral video

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 6:20 AM

VIDEO: Passenger Removed From United Airlines Flight

Airport security officials who were caught on video in April forcibly removing a passenger from a United Airlines flight in Chicago have been disciplined. Two employees were fired and two suspended following the incident, which caused public outrage after the footage went viral, the Washington Post reports.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Man forcibly removed from flight after not voluntarily giving up seat

The fiasco became a huge public relations headache for United. In the videos, officers are seen aggressively grabbing a passenger — Dr. David Dao — who was reportedly selected at random to be removed from the overbooked flight so that his seat could be given to a United crew member.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: United passenger dragged from plane reaches settlement with airline

In a quarterly report, Chicago’s Office of the Inspector General found that a Chicago Department of Aviation security officer “improperly escalated the incident” and that a sergeant “made misleading statements” and “deliberately removed material facts” from employee reports on the April 9 incident aboard United Express Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky. The first officer and the sergeant were fired, and another two officers involved in the incident were suspended — one of whom subsequently resigned, the report said.

>> Read more trending news

The security officers “mishandled a non-threatening situation,” which led to the “violent” removal of the 69-year-old Dao, the inspector general’s report said. “The use of excessive force caused the passenger to hit his face on an armrest, resulting in a concussion, a broken nose and the loss of two teeth,” a news release accompanying the report stated.

Doctors left camera in woman's body after surgery

Published: Thursday, June 29, 2017 @ 4:54 PM

Doctors Leave Camera In Woman's Body After Surgery

A woman has filed suit against Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, alleging that doctors left a camera in her body during an organ transplant.

>> Read more trending news 

The suit, filed in DeKalb County State Court this week, claims the hospital and doctors were negligent. The hospital didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Lacrystal Lockett, of Stone Mountain, Georgia, went into surgery on Dec. 17, 2014, for a kidney and pancreatic transplant, according to the suit.

Dr. Paul Lu Tso, assisted by doctors Ronald Parsons and Denise J. Lo, performed the procedure with the assistance of a medical camera, the suit says.

“Unbeknownst to Ms. Lockett at the time,” her lawyers claim, “this medical instrument was left inside Ms. Lockett even after she was discharged from Emory University Hospital on December 26, 2014.”

The lost device didn’t turn up in her torso the following June during an exam at the hospital.

She had another surgery to remove it.

“As a result of the defendants’ negligence, plaintiff Lacrystal Lockett suffered undue hardship through additional surgical procedures and has incurred medical expenses as well as significant pain and suffering, future pain and suffering and lost wages,” the suit alleges.

Lockett is asking for a jury to determine how much she’s owed.

2 women accused of trying to rob bank while dressed as nuns

Published: Thursday, October 19, 2017 @ 3:32 AM

‘Nuns’ Attempt To Rob Bank

The FBI has apprehended two women suspected of trying to rob a bank in Pennsylvania while dressed as nuns, The Associated Press is reporting.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: ‘Nuns’ try to rob bank, get nothing from tellers

Melisa Aquino Arias, 23, of the Dominican Republic, and Swahilys Pedraza-Rodriguez, 19, of New Haven, Connecticut, were actually charged with robbing two banks in New Jersey while wearing head scarves, but law enforcement officials say the two women are also suspected in the attempted robbery of the Citizens Bank in Tannersville, Pennsylvania, on Aug. 28.

>> Read more trending news

The Tannersville heist — which reportedly was carried out by two young women wearing black nun’s habits and veils — ended in failure when the perpetrators fled the scene without any money after an alarm was triggered. The FBI had posted surveillance photos from the heist on Twitter.

>> See the tweet here

Pedraza-Rodriguez and Aquino Arias appeared before a judge in Newark, New Jersey, on Monday after being charged with robbing banks in Garfield and Teaneck, New Jersey.

Robberies carried out by criminals dressed as nuns are something of a pop culture trope. The 2012 crime drama “The Town” featured robbers disguised as nuns, and the 1990 crime comedy film “Nuns on the Run” depicted two male crooks on the run while wearing habits.