log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 @ 10:23 PM
Updated: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 @ 10:25 AM
SPRINGFIELD — UPDATE @ 10:25 a.m. (Oct. 18):
Bonaparte is accused of killing Joshua Brown, 26, who died after he was shot multiple times at an apartment in the 1300 block of Delta Road on Oct. 4.
Another person, Raina Beal, 23, died after she was shot in the head at the same apartment, according to investigators.
Police have issued a warrant for Bonaparte — who is still at-large — in connection with the deaths of Beal and Brown.
Brown allegedly told police Bonaparte shot him prior to being transported to Springfield Regional Medical Center, according to court records. He later died at the hospital.
A witness later told police she and the two victims had been inside the apartment most of the day. A man named “Chiraq” knocked on the door and entered the apartment with another man named “Packy,” the court records say.
UPDATE @ 3:35 p.m. (Oct. 11): The second victim of a Springfield double shooting has died, according to police.
The victim is Raina Beal, 23.
The police division is asking for the public’s help in locating Kyle Xavier Bonaparte, 20, who is wanted in the deaths of Beal and Joshua Brown.
Bonaparte is described as 5 feet 8 inches tall, black, and about 150 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes.
Police Capt. Michael Varner said anyone who might be helping Bonaparte could be charged as well.
Anyone with information is asked to call the police division at 937-324-7685.
UPDATE @ 7 p.m. (Oct. 5)
A woman hit by gunfire in a double shooting Wednesday night that left one man dead has been identified.
Raina Beal, 23, was shot in the head inside the Delta Road apartment, Springfield police Capt. Michael Varner said.
Beal was shot multiple times, according to a police report. She was flown to Miami Valley Hospital, where tonight she remained in critical condition.
The shooting led to the death of Joshua Brown, 26, according to the Clark County Coroner’s Office.
UPDATE @ 2 p.m. (Oct. 5)
A man shot in the chest Wednesday night inside a Delta Road apartment complex has died.
He is Joshua Brown, 26, according to the Clark County Coroner’s Office. Brown and a woman were shot, but the woman’s name and condition have not been released.
Two people were taken to Miami Valley Hospital via CareFlight on Wednesday night after they were shot in a Springfield apartment, according to dispatch.
A man and woman were shot around 10 p.m. in an apartment in the 1400 block of Delta Road.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:12 PM
DAYTON — A 56-year-old man pinched a Dayton officer and threatened to bite him tonight during his arrest, according to a Dayton police report.
Officers on patrol reported finding Martin Eugene Flemings around 7:20 p.m. inside a garage that was boarded up by the city at 22 W. Hudson Ave.
According to the report, Flemings, who was possibly intoxicated, became belligerent after he found out his lighter shaped like a handgun would be placed in the property room. He began yelling and told an officer: “I’ll bite your nose off and spit it in your face,” the report stated.
Flemings then reached back and pinched the officer in the right thigh, according to the report.
Flemings was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of menacing, resisting arrest and illegal entry into a nuisance premises. He also had a warrant for failing to appear on a drug possession charge, records show.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 5:08 PM
TIPP CITY — The Tipp City Exempted Village Schools said Thursday that a middle school student faces misdemeanor charges including aggravated menacing and disorderly conduct after he allegedly made written comments threatening intent to harm two adults within the building and to cause building destruction.
Tipp City police were notified and are investigating the incident. There were no injuries.
“The Tipp City Police Department does not deem the student to be an immediate threat to students, staff, or the community,” Superintendent Gretta Kumpf said in a written statement.
Kumpf said the district emphasized the police were confident there is no additional threat of harm from the incident. She said the student will remain out of school during the investigation.
Police said the threats were found in a classroom, turned over to administrators and a suspect identified. The juvenile admitted to writing the threats, police stated.
Police said charges were filed after contact with Miami County prosecutors. The student is charged with two counts of aggravated menacing and one count of disorderly conduct.
The student, a boy, is with parents but that could change, police said Thursday evening.
Parents were notified of the threats via a phone call, Liz Robbins, district community relations director, said.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
Updated: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
— The wrongful death civil rights lawsuit brought by John Crawford III’s parents against Beavercreek and Walmart has been scheduled for a February 2019 trial date, according to federal court records.
But the case could be split into two trials, if a federal judge grants a motion from the city of Beavercreek to separate the defendants.
Dayton’s U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice scheduled the trial for Feb. 4, 2019 — a day shy of 4½ years after Crawford, 22, of Fairfield, was shot and killed by Beavercreek police officer Sean Williams in Walmart.
Beavercreek police responded after lone 911 caller Ronald Ritchie said he saw a black man carrying a rifle and waving it at people, including children. Police said Crawford, who was on his cell phone, didn’t respond to requests by Williams and Sgt. David Darkow to drop the item — a realistic-looking BB/pellet rifle he picked up from an open box in the store.
Crawford’s attorneys said Crawford had less than a second to hear and respond to anything officers said. Williams was cleared by a Greene County special grand jury in September 2014, and a federal investigation ended in 2017 without criminal charges.
Beavercreek attorneys filed a motion to split the case. They argued that the Beavercreek defendants are facing civil rights allegations such as excessive force, the police department’s supervision, training and control of its officers in circumstances requiring the use of force.
The Beavercreek attorneys said the Walmart defendants face state law claims involving issues of negligence and premises liability concerning the packaging, storage, shelving and safeguarding of pellet rifles.
“Due to the vastly different sets of facts supporting the claims against these sets of Defendants,” Beavercreek attorneys wrote, “severance of the claims and separate trials are appropriate.”
Rice has not ruled on the motion.
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 4:05 PM
— An I-Team investigation has found local colleges and universities can accept convicted sex offenders as students but their classmates are unaware of those convictions. Daniel Schrand, the Sex Offender Registration and Notification officer for the Greene County Sheriff's Office, said offenders are required to notify the local sheriff of their status as a student. The official notification, though, ends there.
"The only person they have to tell is their local sheriff's office. If I have an offender who registers with me, his address, and goes to school in another county, he has to register the school with me and also the county that the school is in."
According to Schrand, nothing in state law requires the school or the other students to be told. That lack of disclosure is a concern to some students, including Sinclair creative writing major Chris Fohl. He does understand why they would be allowed to be admitted. "That would speak a lot about Sinclair, second chances and all of that," Fohl said.
Sinclair spokesman Adam Murka said safety is the college's number one goal. For several years the school has had a specific policy on the conditions for enrollment for convicted sex offenders. "We understand we have an obligation to provide a safe learning environment and we have an obligation since we have a daycare here on campus," Murka said. Sinclair's Police Chief, John Huber, said there are restrictions on where a student with a sex-related conviction can travel on campus. "We do not allow them to be in classrooms with minors if that's a condition of their probation and parole. They are not to have classes in building nine which is where our daycare center is," Huber said. He added that Sinclair has not had a problem with any students with a conviction.
Schrand said he voluntarily notifies Sinclair, Wright State University and other schools if an offender who registers with him lists themselves as a student at a local college. While Schrand supports direct notification for the schools, he does not want to make it impossible for them to attend college. That way, Schrand says, they can get a job and turn their lives around.
Would students mind going to class with a convicted sex offender? Sinclair student Karissa Hammond said she would be cautious but not prohibit a person with a conviction from attending school. "They do deserve a second chance but it does not mean you have to be blind to it. It doesn't mean you cannot be cautious around people."